Kylo Ren vs. Jacen Solo
MATCH SCORE
Kylo Ren: 2
Jacen Solo: 9

Zurg (Lightyear 2022 movie) vs. The Rancor
MATCH SCORE
Emperor Zurg: 2
The Rancor: 1

Rumble 20574 Vindicator vs. Amelia Voght vs. Bug Pit (King Kong 2005)
MATCH SCORE
Vindicator: 2
Amelia Voght: 1
Bug Pit (King Kong 2005): 1

Tournament - Judge Doom vs. Carnage
MATCH SCORE
Judge Doom: 2
Carnage: 7

CBUB Character Profiles That Need To Be Deleted/Re-Added, etc., Post Here

DSkillz

8 minutes ago, AVP vs The Terminator said:

Every time I go to open the character submission page every major release over the last seven years across any medium deserts my brain.

Will probably keep adding and using RWBY characters on a per-match basis tho. Surely if I jog my memory hard enough eventually at least one other modern interest HAS to shake loose????

Hum.  Perhaps it has just been a dry 7 years for new characters of note.

I can think of several Anime series I may add some characters from.

And I was just thinking about unpinning this old thread, heh. I even don't know when or if the staff at large will be able to delete or edit profiles ATM.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:56 AM, Hitman253 said:

I’m not sure if my server has the ability to create a profile for the characters if it doesn’t I guess it’s up to you guy’s then.

Welcome to Electricferret, Hitman. 

IIRC, adding a profile isn't really about servers and whatnot. You'd just really need to have an image editor on your comp to edit a chosen image for a character profile to 200 x 200, then look for good links for said character from both Wikipedia and an official site on that character's main medium.

2 hours ago, Fox said:

The site has been offline for seven years, so you would think there would be a lot of big characters people would want to add.

So, I'm surprised at the influx of strange, obscure characters like the Lake Champlain monster (?).  I didn't even know the lake had a monster.

I mean, whatever floats your boat. It's cool.  I'm just surprised at these obscure additions.

Nah, there are plenty of characters that can be submitted. I'd have added some on my end, but I first have to add an image editor to at least one of my comps. 

Could take awhile ...

6 hours ago, DSkillz said:

And I was just thinking about unpinning this old thread, heh. I even don't know when or if the staff at large will be able to delete or edit profiles ATM.

Welcome to Electricferret, Hitman. 

IIRC, adding a profile isn't really about servers and whatnot. You'd just really need to have an image editor on your comp to edit a chosen image for a character profile to 200 x 200, then look for good links for said character from both Wikipedia and an official site on that character's main medium.

Nah, there are plenty of characters that can be submitted. I'd have added some on my end, but I first have to add an image editor to at least one of my comps. 

Could take awhile ...

A few things have changed since last time D,

The picture size has changed to 300x300 now, rather than 200x200, not a huge difference.

Before you submit, it helps to add your image to the Members Album Category  in the "Gallery" tab under "Browse", along with a brief summary from Wikipedia if you can get one.

That being said, on the other end, you simply need to provide  links to both Wikipedia and the Copyright holder respectively, a few less links to deal with on that end, but the key ones nonetheless.

So yeah that's that, but it is easier in a way, than it was probably before, mostly due to the links being reduced from 4 to 2, I guess.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 8:18 PM, Z451 said:

Ah no worries, it's a non-issue right now A.T.M., but thanks for your reply Fox.

Hitman, if all is working on your control panel, you should be able to add the character yourself, but if you need help on that note, we can provide some pointers.

That said, I think you said something about not accepting duos anyway Fox, unless that's not still the case.

But the bad news is that I don’t have a computer to do it just a phone I have that’s why I’m replying to this. But I’m just giving you guys ideas for more characters that can be added to this. 

However I have the ways of making matches and stuff for other characters on my phone.

12 minutes ago, Hitman253 said:

But the bad news is that I don’t have a computer to do it just a phone I have that’s why I’m replying to this. But I’m just giving you guys ideas for more characters that can be added to this. 

However I have the ways of making matches and stuff for other characters on my phone.

Ahh okay, I can probably look into doing this for you then.

14 minutes ago, Hitman253 said:

Maybe try to use the desktop version of the page on your phone. I added a few characters using my phone and that's what I had to do.

I'd like to add more characters to the CBUB, but some characters have more info from fan wikis than the Wikipedia entry. Is there any way we can use those instead of Wikipedia for certain characters because of this, or do we need to use Wikipedia regardless?

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 12:04 AM, Gizmo Hibiki said:

I'd like to add more characters to the CBUB, but some characters have more info from fan wikis than the Wikipedia entry. Is there any way we can use those instead of Wikipedia for certain characters because of this, or do we need to use Wikipedia regardless?

I have the same question, because I'd like to add a few factions (Sons of the Harpy, Ranger Sentries, etc.) but they really don't have entries in Wikipedia aside from being mentioned.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:04 PM, Gizmo Hibiki said:

7 hours ago, SSJRuss said:

I have the same question, because I'd like to add a few factions (Sons of the Harpy, Ranger Sentries, etc.) but they really don't have entries in Wikipedia aside from being mentioned.

We can only submit content from Wikipedia and an official site as links and profile text for now. Quote from Fox:

On 5/20/2020 at 4:41 PM, Fox said:

If we link to Wikipedia and then show text from some other wiki ... that is a problem.  It is called stealing content.

We have stolen content from some other Wiki and not properly linked to it.

So, that's a problem right?  No body wants their content nabbed without being attributed.  I'm open to allowing the use of Wiki's other than Wikipedia, but I have to make changes in the code to do that.  That's not my immediate priority. 

I would have to say, in the meantime, if there simply is no text on Wikipedia about the character then just let them go with no text.  It's probably some really obscure character.

To compensate, I'm thinking we can do how I used to do; when if a character doesn't have a direct Wikipedia page, look for the page of the medium the character originates from and link directly to the portion of the page that references your character. 

For example:  Amon from The Legend of Korra no longer has a direct Wikipedia page, so one could instead look on The Legend of Korra's Wikpedia page and link to the section of that page that best mentions him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SSJRuss said:

1 minute ago, DSkillz said:

To compensate, I'm thinking we can do how I used to do; when if a character doesn't have a direct Wikipedia page, look for the page of the medium the character originates from and link directly to the portion of the page that references your character. 

For example:  Amon from The Legend of Korra no longer has a direct Wikipedia page, so one could instead look on The Legend of Korra's Wikpedia page and link to the section of that page that best mentions him.

Let's go with DSkills idea.  Very good call.

Here's the thing... Wikipedia has a legal fair use policy.  That means that we can use their text in our pages as long as it's not for profit.

Also, WIkipedia is not going away.

I know people want to link to other Wiki's and take their text.  That's not something we can do unless that particular Wiki permits it as a policy... and I really don't want to have to start keeping a list of ones that do.

I don't really care about the text, honestly.  Let's not be overly concerned about it.  As long as there is some text, that's cool.

This Forum software can make Wiki pages but it seems unreasonable to make people write Wiki entries for characters they add, in their own words, without grabbing the text from some other site.  It's hard enough just to get people to find a good image of the character.

TLDR; Use Wikipedia.  Any text is fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for clarifying.

More specific question. I want to add a character or two from a book series (Nevernight Chronicles by Jay Kristoff) but the only Wikipedia page I'm finding is of the author and a different work of his.

If I add a character from this book series, can I just use the link for the author?

• 1 month later...

I look up on some of the files of the characters loses that seem unfair. Like Timothy Hunter lost against Harry Potter twice seems 100% unfair because Timothy is way beyond Potters level in a fight maybe it’s like that because the debaters don’t know that much about Timothy or that they recognize Potter more. 

On 6/7/2020 at 7:32 PM, SSJRuss said:

More specific question. I want to add a character or two from a book series (Nevernight Chronicles by Jay Kristoff) but the only Wikipedia page I'm finding is of the author and a different work of his.

If I add a character from this book series, can I just use the link for the author?

I'd be a little squeamish submitting characters that have very sparse (if any) info on Wikipedia if I were you guys. Some of the last few more obscure new adds haven't had any real info on the characters themselves or their abilities.

4 hours ago, Hitman253 said:

I look up on some of the files of the characters loses that seem unfair. Like Timothy Hunter lost against Harry Potter twice seems 100% unfair because Timothy is way beyond Potters level in a fight maybe it’s like that because the debaters don’t know that much about Timothy or that they recognize Potter more. 

Heh, welcome to fan voting online, my man. That's been an issue pretty much since the World Wide Web's creation. The best we can do is ask the audience to do actual research on the characters.

23 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

Heh, welcome to fan voting online, my man. That's been an issue pretty much since the World Wide Web's creation. The best we can do is ask the audience to do actual research on the characters.

Seconded. That's why I try to provide at least a couple of sources/feats when making my mind up. A good place to look up character feats is the Respect Threads subreddit, has a good list with sources/scans.

12 hours ago, DSkillz said:

I'd be a little squeamish submitting characters that have very sparse (if any) info on Wikipedia if I were you guys. Some of the last few more obscure new adds haven't had any real info on the characters themselves or their abilities.

While I can't necessarily agree with that, I often fine vague characters have the most unique uses but are hard to find. Wikipedia has cut it's content creation down a LOT since 8 years ago, so finding good wikipedia sources for every character is going to be hard to find. And telling people that a character they really want to use can't be used because he's vague is pretty much like saying we want more Goku vs. Superman. I'm being a bit over dramatic, but I'm sure you know what I'm saying.

That said, if you can't find ANYTHING that shows your character and you still really want to use him, just use "Test Character Zero" as a filler until something can be made proper. A win win for everyone. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SSJRuss said:

I submitted Red from Twitch Plays Pokémon but it was 'unacceptable'. Any idea why? I'm sure I had his info right but maybe he was in the wrong category?

Sorry, I’m the one who denied him. When I was looking at him, as far as I can tell, he’s just a fan made character base on a original character.

I mean we already have this Red: https://www.electricferret.com/cbub/cbubcats/show?cid=7104

Could someone use the original Red in a match, and say in the setup that this is the Red from Twitch Plays Pokemon?

But if anyone else thinks that Red (Twitch Plays Pokémon) should be in the database, give me reasons why he should be.

Again sorry.

20 hours ago, Venom 2009 said:

Sorry, I’m the one who denied him. When I was looking at him, as far as I can tell, he’s just a fan made character base on a original character.

I mean we already have this Red: https://www.electricferret.com/cbub/cbubcats/show?cid=7104

Could someone use the original Red in a match, and say in the setup that this is the Red from Twitch Plays Pokemon?

But if anyone else thinks that Red (Twitch Plays Pokémon) should be in the database, give me reasons why he should be.

Again sorry.

It's all good I was just curious. Your reasoning is solid. Really, I could use any pokemon character in Twitch Plays form.

7 hours ago, ViceCityMobster86 said:

My submissions for Bonnie and Clyde as well as John Dillinger got rejected.  We have Al Capone and Jesse James, how are these any different?

I didn't deny them the first time around, but I did deny John the second time based mainly on the fact that you misspelled his name as Dillenger. Since the staff can't edit submitted profiles, we all gotta be especially careful with what gets added and how.

Also, adding real-life criminal figures is also kind of a gray area, so unless one can find fictionalized versions of them, it may be a toss-up whether or not they get accepted.

And finally, we recently discovered that John Dillinger is already in the Database.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, JohnnyChany said:

Not sure if this is still the right place to put this, but I did notice while putting together a tournament match that Caesar from Planet of the Apes is in the database twice

I can see how it happened. One is spelled, Caesar, and the other is spelled, Caeser. But at this time, we have no way of removing characters from the database.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, we have two TMNT teams who might've been intended to be the same. Thinking the second profile should go.

https://www.electricferret.com/cbub/cbubcats/show?cid=369

https://www.electricferret.com/cbub/cbubcats/show?cid=2252

Also... Terry and Andy Bogard, I think their profiles need to be deleted and resubmitted, if only because whoever entered them forgot to use proper capitalization on their names.

https://www.electricferret.com/cbub/cbubcats/show?cid=1846

https://www.electricferret.com/cbub/cbubcats/show?cid=1874

Same for The Creature of the Black Lagoon. Might want to be resubmitted as The Gill-man.

https://www.electricferret.com/cbub/cbubcats/show?cid=2369