Zurg (Lightyear movie) vs. Goliath (Evolve)
MATCH SCORE
Emperor Zurg: 2
Goliath (Evolve): 0

Psylocke vs. Danielle Moonstar
MATCH SCORE
Psylocke: 6
Danielle Moonstar: 2

Rumble 20570 Arkin vs. Komodo
MATCH SCORE
Arkin: 0
Komodo: 1

Rumble 20569 Minsu Kim vs. The Avengers
MATCH SCORE
Minsu Kim: 2
The Avengers: 4

Donatello (Mirage) vs. Chun-Li
MATCH SCORE
Donatello (Mirage): 9
Chun-Li: 3

The Pro Wrestling thread

Out of the Shield, I only see Ambrose and Rollins going anywhere. Roman maybe even though he isn't very great in the ring (from what I've heard).

To me Ryback is still a bit green. Sometimes it shows. But I won't deny how popular he is.

And to comic book fan, what's your username on CAWS then?

same thing

Guest tomisntblue

The only thing I don't like about the current WWE is the fact that it's PG. I can't even remember the last time I saw blood in a match.

Meh, as someone who watches both Adventure Time and Spartacus: Blood and Sand, I say this:

I don't care if it's PG or not, as long at they make compelling story lines and entertaining matches. To quote one of my wrestling buddies, "I don't need to bleed to tell a story."

WWE can leave the blade jobs out of matches, but just let people bleed if they bleed (none of that "stop the match to clean someone up" BS (except in the case of Cena vs Lesnar, because it created a good effect in that match)).

WWE's currently doing a lot of good things, and the problems weren't routed in being PG, the problems were in poor use of talent and the over use of the same main events.

No doubt Rollins is very good, but I just see the other two as better, for now. Hardy had the advantage of appealing to a demographic very few wrestlers do, in teenage girls.

Cesaro has all the talent in the world, but he needs to add things to his character and get a storyline. He's not getting over as much as some of the other new guys, which is a shame because he's damn good.

Meh, as someone who watches both Adventure Time and Spartacus: Blood and Sand, I say this:

I don't care if it's PG or not, as long at they make compelling story lines and entertaining matches. To quote one of my wrestling buddies, "I don't need to bleed to tell a story."

WWE can leave the blade jobs out of matches, but just let people bleed if they bleed (none of that "stop the match to clean someone up" BS (except in the case of Cena vs Lesnar, because it created a good effect in that match)).

WWE's currently doing a lot of good things, and the problems weren't routed in being PG, the problems were in poor use of talent and the over use of the same main events.

I watch wrestling for good old-fashioned violence, not good plots or storylines.

Guest tomisntblue

I watch wrestling for good old-fashioned violence, not good plots or storylines.

I watch wrestling to be entertained. Good matches with good story lines and build up make it entertaining. And while, yes, blood can create more excitement, my point is it's not needed to keep things entertaining. I mean, are you saying taking a sledge hammer to someone is less violent because there's no visible blood?

Guest tomisntblue

Came across this gem, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's seen it, but incase you missed I thought I'd share http://withleather.uproxx.com/2012/12/wwe-daniel-bryan-visits-kid-with-cancer-no-lock-video

Granted, wrestlers visiting sick children is nothing new, but something about Daniel Bryan letting the kid tap him out with the Yes-No-Lebell Lock is really touching to me. And the fact that this is not the first time a wrestler's granted a sick child's wish, doesn't diminish the sentiment.

I watch wrestling to be entertained. Good matches with good story lines and build up make it entertaining. And while, yes, blood can create more excitement, my point is it's not needed to keep things entertaining. I mean, are you saying taking a sledge hammer to someone is less violent because there's no visible blood?

I find the storylines annoying, myself. They're poorly written (to me), overly dramatic and repetitive. I just like seeing the matches themselves. And blood isn't all I was referring to when I said it was PG-- surely you can see the difference in storylines between today and, say, ten years ago?

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw a sledgehammer used in a WWE match...

Guest tomisntblue

Well, sledgehammers are more or less out due to HHH being out. But the last time one was used was when he wrestled Brock Lesnar (I believe) if not then, then it was when he wrestled Undertaker.

And, yes, I admit that in recent years story lines have gotten repetitive and predictable. As for horrible, there are some really horrible ones. the AJ/Clare-Cena/AJ-Bully Ray/Brooke Hogan scandal(s) is/are some of the worst things to happen to wrestling. But that's not a product of being PG, that's a product of bad writers. On the flip side, however, we have other angles like CM Punk's current title run, Team Hell No, and everything Damien Sandow does that are all entertaining.

They've always had good story lines and bad story lines. Remember when Mark Henry knocked May Young up, only for her to give birth to a hand? Or when Kane was accused of necrophillia? Those were about as un-PG as you can get, and were still terrible. Of course you remember things being better before it went PG, that's because you tend to forget the terrible things that happened before it went PG.

Also, you said you before on here mainly watch TNA.... And that right there is why you get mainly bad story lines.

You missed my point. I wasn't saying the storylines ten years ago were good (wrestling storylines have always been drek to me), just that they were far more adult than the stuff being written today. The reason I brought storylines up was to show that I'm not just referring to blood when I state the company has become PG. The instances you mentioned (necrophilia and hand pregnancy) kind of work in my point's favor; there's no way in hell you'd see that kind of stuff nowadays.

I didn't say I mainly watched TNA, I said TNA is all I had access to after my TV subscription to the sports channels ran out. The amount of WWE I've seen outweighs the amount of TNA I've seen by quite a bit. I prefer WWE, however I can say with the utmost of confidence that Sting > 90% of the WWE's current roster. Incidentally, TNA's storylines suck badly too.

And chances are I remember it being better before it went PG because it was better before it went PG. Maybe it's just me, but playing through the Attitude Era mode of WWE 13 and subsequently rewatching the original fights made me realize just how much more enjoyable I found matches back then. Fights were more brutal and violent. In my opinion, WWE haven't produced anything as epic as the likes of Undertaker and Mankind's Hell in a Cell match, Stone Cold's Three Stages of Hell match with Triple H, or Lesnar vs Kurt Angle at Wrestlemania in years.

Thing is, the way wrestling works, you need interesting and compelling characters to make people care about those matches. Otherwise, you might as well watch real sports.

But if all you're interested in is matches, I'd say whether the product is PG or not matters even less. CM Punk/John Cena at Money in the Bank 2011, Triple H/Undertaker at Wrestlemania, Brock Lesnar/John Cena at Extreme Rules and Sheamus/Big Show at Hell in a Cell are excellent matches from the PG era that proved you can produce fantastic matches regardless of the TV rating.

Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw a sledgehammer used in a WWE match...

Because it's a Triple H gimmick. He used it at 'Maina.

And chances are I remember it being better before it went PG because it was better before it went PG. Maybe it's just me, but playing through the Attitude Era mode of WWE 13 and subsequently rewatching the original fights made me realize just how much more enjoyable I found matches back then. Fights were more brutal and violent. In my opinion, WWE haven't produced anything as epic as the likes of Undertaker and Mankind's Hell in a Cell match, Stone Cold's Three Stages of Hell match with Triple H, or Lesnar vs Kurt Angle at Wrestlemania in years.

But the main strength of the Attitude Era was its characters. From an in ring perspective, it was probably the weakest the WWF has been in its history. In fact, the success of the WWF in this period is a good example supporting the argument that it's interesting characters that make wrestling, moreso than strong in ring performances.

Hell, the hight of the success of the WWF was the Hogan era. It was easily as PG as it is now.

Oh, don't get me wrong, there are characters I like. Just not storylines.

Reasonable. I'll agree to a lot of them being tosh. When they're done well though, they add a huge amount to matches and programming. To give a few examples: Hogan/Macho Man that festered for a whole year, Austin/McMahon, Batista leaving Evolution, Cm Punk threatening to leave the WWE with the belt.

Guest tomisntblue

Let me preface this by acknowledging that I'm only keeping this argument up because I'm enjoying the discussion. I don't think you're necessarily wrong, because this is subjective. With that said...

You missed my point. I wasn't saying the storylines ten years ago were good (wrestling storylines have always been drek to me), just that they were far more adult than the stuff being written today. The reason I brought storylines up was to show that I'm not just referring to blood when I state the company has become PG. The instances you mentioned (necrophilia and hand pregnancy) kind of work in my point's favor; there's no way in hell you'd see that kind of stuff nowadays.

My point is I don't want to see those story lines. They were examples, I think, of some incredibly poor story lines despite being adult oriented. And weather story lines are good, bad, or indifferent, my main point goes back to, it's not an issue of being PG or not. In the PG era we had HBK vs Undertaker 1 and 2 and HHH vs Undertaker 1 and 2. We've also had Nexus come in various incarnations (I'm counting the Core as a Nexus incarnation). And there was also Punk and Jericho's couple month long feud. You take the good with the bad and hope that the matches and promos are entertaining in the meantime. And yes, bad story lines outweigh the good, but that is not a product of being PG. Nither is most of the bad in WWE right now.

I didn't say I mainly watched TNA, I said TNA is all I had access to after my TV subscription to the sports channels ran out. The amount of WWE I've seen outweighs the amount of TNA I've seen by quite a bit. I prefer WWE, however I can say with the utmost of confidence that Sting > 90% of the WWE's current roster. Incidentally, TNA's storylines suck badly too.

Well, in fairness, CM Punk > 90% of WWE's current roster. Same with Austin Aries. Hell Antonio Ceasaro > 90% of wrestlers on TV (don't believe me?

)

Anyway, I just wanted to take a jab at Hogan Knows best... Er, that is, TNA. But, to be fair to them, they have great talent, Hogan just thinks a good way to get wrestlers over is have them kiss his ass in backstage promos.

Why were those matches epic though? Especially in the case of Lesnar vs Angle, which if I recall wasn't especially violent or bloody and focused more on their amateur backgrounds. The build up, the hype, the story line, is what puts them in such a high position. And it holds true even when you watch them back, because of nostalgia.

And, of course those matches were great. Those are some of the greatest matches that have happened. But do you remember Tajiri vs Batista? When Batista came out and squashed him. What about The Rock vs the Brooklyn Brawler? How about Razor Ramon vs Jeff Hardy? I can promise you, there are PLENTY more terrible matches back in the day than there are five star matches.

Now, circling back to my original statement which I've detracted from, the current problems in WWE are not a product of it being PG. They're a product of poor managed talent (we want Ryder!), predictable matches (though most matches are predictable if you follow the storylines), bad use of time (15 minutes of show time spent recapping recaps that were already recapped in last weeks recaps) and plenty of other things that a PG rating simple doesn't affect.

And finally, here is my last argument for PG not being a bad thing in wrestling.

• 5 months later...

Got back on shows last night, in an adults only show. Odd environment, seeing the guys come backstage after a hardcore match with ring crew following them frantically cleaning blood everywhere with one wrestler not giving a shit about the huge gash on his arm was interesting. 

As for my own role, I was filling in under a masked gimmick in a religious faction. Was good fun. Caught a dive and got the pin. Then we battered the poor bloke we were in there with.

Guest bigballerju

John Cena is getting f**king annoying now. He may draw money but the way they use him will kill some of the up and comers if they don't let other stars shine. At least Orton puts guys over more and isn't Superman. Orton and Daniel Bryan had a great match with Shield.

Guest tomisntblue

I haven't been in the ring for about 3 months now. In my last match my opponent botched a back suplex and I got a broken collarbone as a result. Still have 2 months to recover before I can wrestle again.

Guest Austo191

For those here that are wrestlers, what kind of things do you do to stay in shape? Is cardio the most important thing?

Are you able to create your own gimmick? I have a few other questions, but I can't remember em' right now. I'm curious because Wrestling is something I've always wanted to do.

I do wrestling training Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and twice on Sunday. Other than learning to wrestle, we do a fair bit of cardio and conditioning at the training sessions. 

I visit the gym 3-4 times a week. Chest day, back day, leg day, with a shoulder day if I can (otherwise I work shoulders at the end of chest and back day). 

Cardio is important, as is body type. Lose the flab if you're fat, put on muscle if you're skinny. Skinny wrestlers rarely get booked, and fat ones only do so if they're genuine monsters. 

I also need to get a tan soon. Spray tan though. I'm staying away from sunbeds. 

I've still got a long way to go bodywise. There are guys on the scene on steroids and it's almost impossible to keep up. 

what is hurting wrestling is that the shoot promo is lost in today's era if not for guys like punk 90% of wwe's roster has to be told what to say word for word that's the big advantage for the product of yesteryear most the big stars of the 50's through the 90's could all shoot that and they limit there wrestlers to much in ring as well they have generic big man style generic little man style I mean they gave DB a little more slack to wrestle his way and he is great. 

Guest bigballerju

Comicbook fan is absolutely right. Shoot promo is where the greatest promo cutters like Rock, Stone Cold, Ric Flair, and others harnessed their mic skills. It allowed guys to find themselves and develop their mic skills. I also agree they need to stop telling guys to all wrestle the WWE which is boring fans and let them wrestle more their way like Danial Bryan. Danial Bryan is so hot right now you know soon he will be a top star. It's about time since he has been around since 1998. I see Ziggler, Shield, and more have finally been allowed to wrestle their way. All they need to do is bring back shoot promos.

For all the actual wrestlers how bad is it with steroids? Are a lot of young people still using it?

Ah, I was waiting for traffic on this topic to pick up. 

Moved and pinned. :)