Donatello (Mirage): 9
Chun-Li: 3

Rumble 20567 Ed (Street Fighter) vs. Mama Odie vs. Pickle
MATCH SCORE
Ed (Street Fighter): 0
Mama Odie: 0
Pickle (Baki the Grappler): 2

The Pro Wrestling thread

I... don't think you guys know what a shoot promo is. You're talking about an ad libbed promo. A shoot is talking about reality. The Rock, Stone Cold etc all still spoke in terms of kayfabe. But I agree, I dislike that promos are scripted word for word. 

As for style - guys all do wrestle their own style, and they always have. Development doesn't kill a wrestlers style, it teaches them proper psychology. Big guys wrestle like big guys because it makes sense in terms of in ring psychology. If the big guy is doing moonsaults and dropkicks, no one gives a shit when the little guy does them. The big guy is more threatening as the slow, lumbering monster than he is as the surprisingly athletic big bloke. The monster is scarier. The monster will get more over, and make more money. Bryan looks and wrestles different to the wrestlers of the past because wrestling, like other forms of entertainment, evolves over time. Hogan and Flair looked very different to Lou Thesz as well. 

As for steroids, there are less of them now that the WWE won't touch you if you're on them, but many still use them. 

Guest bigballerju

I know what a shoot promo is. It's going off script and more. That's not the term I meant to use. I just meant to say they need to stop with the script promos. Hell even Rock when he came back was being scripted and his promos were no where near what they use to be.

Nah. The Rock was giving us what he'd always given us. The difference is, we've all grown up now. The Rocks shit has always been extremely immature. Massively charismatic, but the content was always immature. Be careful with those rose tinted specs, especially when discussing the Attitude Era. 

I... don't think you guys know what a shoot promo is. You're talking about an ad libbed promo. A shoot is talking about reality. The Rock, Stone Cold etc all still spoke in terms of kayfabe. But I agree, I dislike that promos are scripted word for word. 

As for style - guys all do wrestle their own style, and they always have. Development doesn't kill a wrestlers style, it teaches them proper psychology. Big guys wrestle like big guys because it makes sense in terms of in ring psychology. If the big guy is doing moonsaults and dropkicks, no one gives a shit when the little guy does them. The big guy is more threatening as the slow, lumbering monster than he is as the surprisingly athletic big bloke. The monster is scarier. The monster will get more over, and make more money. Bryan looks and wrestles different to the wrestlers of the past because wrestling, like other forms of entertainment, evolves over time. Hogan and Flair looked very different to Lou Thesz as well. 

As for steroids, there are less of them now that the WWE won't touch you if you're on them, but many still use them. 

my favorite big guy heel was vader because he was big strong mean and could do moonsaults.

I hate when people say HHH Austin and Arn Anderson were never good workers because they were slow and didn't fly across the ring they were great workers they could have long matches and  keep going at the same rate the entire match that's what made flair great.

Guest bigballerju

Nah. The Rock was giving us what he'd always given us. The difference is, we've all grown up now. The Rocks shit has always been extremely immature. Massively charismatic, but the content was always immature. Be careful with those rose tinted specs, especially when discussing the Attitude Era. 

The Rock's promos weren't always immature. He hadgreat promos back then as well. His promos with Triple H, Stone Cold, Y2J, and others were great. The Rock is definitely one of the best on the mic. In the second video Y2J gets angry and Rock does get serious. The video is second part of a promo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lf9Ar861Ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1mxA5f-ysM

Guest tomisntblue

Watching TNA tonight, I realize why I started disliking Jeff Hardy. It has nothing to do with his disgraceful match against Sting, or his personal issues with drugs, nor anything else going on in his personal life. It's simply that at no point has he really evolved as a character. He never stopped trying to be the extreme one, even after his body could no longer wrestle that style as well. I understand the reason behind it, same reason Hulk Hogan is still working the same gimmick, he's never had to evolve. But then I look at guys like Edge, Chris Jericho, hell even Bubba Ray (finally), and other guys from the same generation who have gotten to the top today. They grew with the business, they added new dimensions to their persona, they constantly remade their character to fit with an ever growing business. But Jeff, just, didn't. And because of that, I grew out of him.

Guest bigballerju

Jeff Hardy was close to the top when they made him WWE Champion and would be one of the top guys with Cena. Hell he is future Hall of Famer like Edge (Who actually is a Hall of Famer). He threw it all away. I don't get him at all. I guess some guys don't want that type of success. It's sad what happened to the Hardy Boyz. I use to love them.  

As far as TNA is concerned I feel bad for the wrestlers there. They try their best but obviously people behind the scenes don't know what the hell their doing.

Guest tomisntblue

Take all of my answers with a grain of salt. I'm not what a lot of people would call a "real" wrestler. I'm a trained backyarder. We get a lot of local "pros" coming in and working with us, we train together weekly, and put on shows monthly that draw moderate amount of people depending on weather, but we're still backyard wrestlers. Still, if you wanna hear my input, I'll give it. But for real inside information, M Bison is your guy.

For those here that are wrestlers, what kind of things do you do to stay in shape? Is cardio the most important thing?

Are you able to create your own gimmick? 

Cardio is the most important. No matter who you are, even if you're a ref* you need to be able to keep up with the action. No one wants to watch a match with 50% rest spots. Being a backyard guy, and not aspiring to make a career out of wrestling, I don't do nearly as much as I should to stay in shape. But keeping up with your cardio is a must. Otherwise, it's like M Bison said, it depends on your body type. 

You can create your own gimmick, depending on promoter you'll have more or less control over it. Ideally, though, you'll work with your trainer and together you'll come up with a gimmick that fits you and that you'll be able to get over with. 

bigballerju, on 13 Jun 2013 - 09:02, said:

For all the actual wrestlers how bad is it with steroids? Are a lot of young people still using it?

I can't speak to this. I know it's not a issue here so much, I base this on how "great" of shape a lot of the local "talent" is around here. 

*Reffing can take a lot out of you, especially in matches with multiple people. I never heard of a ref getting blown out and it interfering in a match, but I'm sure you can imagine how awkward it would be if a ref couldn't make a count because he was out of breath.

Tom, you got a professional school near you at all? Granted, the American system is very different to the British one - we pay per session, as if we're learning a martial art. You guys have to pay for a scholarship and live at the school. 

Guest tomisntblue

Tom, you got a professional school near you at all? Granted, the American system is very different to the British one - we pay per session, as if we're learning a martial art. You guys have to pay for a scholarship and live at the school. 

I do, but nothing that's worth it. I've talked to a lot of the pros around here, and as far as my local scene goes trainers car more about money than anything. So I'm kind of screwed in that end, unless I go out of state. 

To put it into perspective, mt recent injury came about at the hands of one of our guys who has been training professionally for a bout half a year now. So, in theory he should know more than I do. But in the match, I was going for the crippler cross face, and he countered out of it with a back suplex, or tried to. The problem was he picked me up with both hands around my right leg, and dropped me. He didn't even try to guide me down. So I end up on my left shoulder, and snap my collar bone. 

But, he's the only person I've had a problem with. Everyone else who I've worked with know what they're doing. Some have been trained at schools, others have been trained by our veterans. I feel confident in the training we do, even if it isn't exactly professional, and I know if I ever decide to explore more options I'll have to go out and get trained elsewhere. 

Another note, I do subscribe to the Angry Wrestling Vet on facebook, some really great advise from that guy. That's where my ref comment came from. 

Guest Kate Awesome Is Awesome

RVD vs CM Punk or Danial Bryan in a extreme rules match needs to be done for sure.

I would love either of these matches, not super hard core but with a few sick spots.

Though it does pose the one issue I have with RVD coming back. There really isn't a program for him at the moment. There's no way RVD plays heel, it never works, the man is unbooable. But there aren't enough heels to go around to really get anything out of RVD the face. Swagger has lost all momentum, the shield are doing their own thing, a feud with Cesaro would feel "forced" (but with a motivated RVD could yield awesome matches) Dolph and Henry are occupied. I guess Bryan is a "heel" but he's cheered so much that I don't buy it and Punk has pretty much turned back and is dealing with Brock. Feeding RVD to Curtis Axel would be a waste. That just leaves Ryback if they're commited to keeping him heel (kind of doubt it) which I actually would find interesting.

I'm banking on him winning the briefcase and a feud builds from there but yeah, I dunno. My main concern is I hope he's motivated to put on some good matches because the last couple of years have been stinkers. That said he was in TNA.

Guest tomisntblue

The most immediate thing I see him doing is feuding against Curtis Axel, playing off the Paul Heymen angle, which would put him in the IC title picture and could see matches against Wade Barret, the Miz, and Fandango upon his return. 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Kate Awesome Is Awesome

The cross-promotion match I'd like to see right now is Daniel Bryan vs. Austin Aries.

They've had a ton of matches back in ROH and they were indeed good.

It's weird that during the last Tough Enough Aries didn't make the cut. Between Punk, Bryan, Cesaro, Rollins and Hero (Ohno... I guess... I'm not one to complain about WWE renames but this one i can't get behind) you'd figure Aries would've been a slam dunk choice. He's more charismatic than most of these guys save Punk and he's got a style that can fit the WWE's style easily, not that guys whose styles "didn't fit" like Brya and Cesaro are having a tough time of it anyway. Seems like a hugely missed opportunity from the E.

That said he IS making the most of his time in TNA, which can't be said about a lot of guys in that fed. 

Guest Mr.Wronkite123

I really enjoy the Wyatt Family. So Deliverance-esque creepy and unsettling. I didn't even know that Bray was the former Husky Harris until the crowd chanted it during their debut (which was stupid.)...