MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Match 15413 Gen vs. Gen Fu

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART LXXXVI

paichun.jpg.72bbc53e283134e86b3f008900cb9424.jpg

Marshall Law, Paul Phoenix, El Fuerte, and Pai Chan walked through the corridors of the Hong Kong airport.

“That fight was muy impressive chica,” the luchador fighting chef commented.

“I feel bad. She was just a schoolgirl,” Pai Chan admitted. (REF: LING XIAOYU VS. PAI CHAN)

“That school girl, Ling Xiaoyu, is a regular competitor in the King of the Iron Fist tournament. I have fought her a few times. She is no pushover. You have nothing to feel bad about,” Marshall Law assured.

“Thank you,” said Pai Chan.

“El Fuerte was correct, your moves were great,:” added Law. “Your father was not lying when he said you would be the perfect one to help us out.” (REF: ZASALAMEL VS. SAGAT)

“He is the reason that I decided to tag along,” said Pai Chan. “That and the chance to meet Chun Li. She is such an amazing fighter.”

“You don’t want to help save the world?” asked Paul.

“Of course. But if the fate of the whole world is resting on the shoulders of a movie star martial artist, then I’m afraid of letting it down,” Pai Chan clarified.

El Fuerte interrupted. “Mira, mis amigos. Is that not Chun-Li over there?”

El Fuerte pointed to a woman talking to a well dressed man that looked exactly like Chun-Li.

“What is she doing here?” Paul wondered.

Fear sprang up inside Marshall Law. “Oh no. Miss Douglas must have sent her here to kick our butts for lying about Lei Wulong.”

“We need to find a place to hide so she doesn’t see us,” suggested Paul.

“Wait, what are you guys talking about?” wondered a confused Pai Chan. “Didn’t you tell me you were on the same side.”

“Yeah, but she might have reason to not be very happy with us right now,” explained Law. (REF: MARSHALL LAW VS. LAU CHAN)

“I don’t know her very well, but I think you two are overreacting,”  El Fuerte guessed.

“I have been wanting to meet her for the longest time. So I’m going to go introduce myself,” Pai Chan announced.

“I’m coming too,” said El Fuerte.

Paul rubbed his head. “We’ll be right behind you...just uh let us know if it’s safe,” 

El Fuerte and Pai Chan approached Chun Li and the man in the suit.

“Chun-Li it is muy fantastico to see you here,” El Fuerte said by way of greeting. “We were just about to take a flight back to the Freedom Survivor with our new recruit.”

Chun-Li’s expression was pleasant, but it was obvious something was bothering her. “El Fuerte, it is nice to see you here. I am sure Helena will be thrilled. We can use all the help we can get.”

El Fuerte lifted his arms in a presentation style manner. “May I present to you, Miss Pai Chan.”

Chun-Li smiled  as she extended a hand to shake PaI Chan’s. “A pleasure to meet you, I am a big fan of your movies.”

Pai Chan blushed. “Thank you. That means a lot coming from you. I always watch your videos from the World Warrior tournaments for inspiration. You’re just incredible.”

“You are too kind.”

El Fuerte started to speak, but Chun-Li cut him off. “I don’t mean to be rude, but I am in the middle of something very important. I had to leave the Freedom Survivor because of a personal matter.  (It is nice to see you and once I have resolved this situation I will return to the cruiser and rejoin the team, I promise.”

“Is there anything we can do to help,” offered Pai Chan.

“A generous offer, but I don’t think there is much information you can provide me in this case,” lamented Chun-Li. “A good friend of mine was murdered (REF: LEI FEI VS. YUN) I need to find out who did it, but I aslo need to protect his brother from doing something rash and suffering the same fate.” (REF: SEAN MATSUDA VS. EDDY GORDO)

“We understand,” said El Fuerte. “Just let us know if you need anything. Si?”

“I will.”

Chun-Li turned back to the suited gentleman she had been conferring with.

“There are no records of your friend traveling to Hong Kong, detective,” he stated.

“Oh Yang, where did you go?” Chun-Li shook her head. “What about the other information I was looking for?”

“According to intel, Gen has not left China recently. So he is...around. Do you really think the kid would hire an assassin?” the man asked.

“Normally, no. But Yang sounded like a changed person when I talked to him, all the innocence was gone. Tragedy can have that sort of effect,” said Chun Li. “I just hope I can get to Gen before he does.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1080983683_hqdefault(3).jpg.094986209b7c294bd99743ba822cd289.jpg

Gen Fu, the xinyi liuhe quan master, sat silently for a moment in his bookstore as he pondered an answer to his pupil’s query.

“Master, has everything been okay since we left?” Eliot repeated over the phone.

Gen Fu flashed back to the mysterious stranger who attacked him right after Eliot and Brad Wong had left to assist Helena Douglas. (REF: FENG WEI VS. GEN FU) The stranger was strong, but Gen Fu was able to defeat him in battle. 

The old martial artist decided he did not want to alarm his young protege. “I have done some redecorating in the bookstore, but not much else of note. What about you? Have you had to face any strong fighters yet?”

“No,” Eliot answered. “Miss Douglas has still been assembling her team for the most part, although Brad got into a drunken brawl, and he lost.” (REF: BRAD WONG VS. LEI WULONG)

Gen Fu chuckled. “Brad lost an intoxicated fight, his ego must be shattered. Has that been the only excitement thus far?”

“Not at all,” replied Eliot. “We were hit by a large storm, and then we were raided by pirates. (REF: HELENA DOUGLAS VS. SHERMIE)  I heard that even members of Miss Douglas’s own security team attacked the fighters gathered here. (REF: HITOMI VS. KASUMI TODOH) It’s been crazy. I think things are just now starting to calm down again. I’m glad nothing worse happened, but I do want a chance to prove myself.”

Gen Fu sensed a foreboding presence in his bookstore. “Be patient. The fights will come, I’m sure. I have to go now. I believe I may have a customer.”

“Talk to you soon, master.”

Gen Fu hung up his phone. “Sorry to keep you waiting.”

An elderly man stood behind him in loose fitting purple clothes. He massaged his long white beard. “I am not interested in a book purchase. Do you know who I am?”

Gen Fu turned to face the intruder. “No, but I appreciate the fact that you did not attack me while I was talking to my student.”

Gen scoffed. “Cell phones. A useless distraction created by this generation’s nonsensical need to always be connected.”

Gen Fu smiled. “It was my granddaughter who insisted I get one. I only did it for her.” Gen Fu’s demeanor turned serious. “I assume you did not come here to talk about technology or literature.”

Gen shook his head. “No. I am here to kill you. I thought you deserved the respect of trying to defend yourself.”

“I can’t imagine who would pay good money just to eliminate me,” said Gen Fu.

“The same man who paid me handsomely to eliminate another elder Chinese martial artist,” Gen answered. (REF: GEN VS. WANG JINREI) “Simply because of who you are associated with. In your case that would be Helena Douglas.”

“Well then so be it.” Gen Fu stepped into his fighting stance. “Regardless of the outcome of this fight, neither one of us is getting any younger so let’s not waste any more time.”

Good set-up as usual, Johnny.

I'm not entirely sure why Gen is reducing himself to being a hired gun, but he should take this based on his in-canon feats alone. He was able to fight Akuma to a standstill on at least one occasion.