Ed (Street Fighter): 0
Mama Odie: 0
Pickle (Baki the Grappler): 2

Match 15020 Helena Douglas vs. Shermie

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART LXIII

hqdefault.jpg.6c512526437197b2f1ee276c1ca56e6c.jpg

Lightning tore through the night sky and rain started to fall from the sky. On Bonne’s Jenet’s pirate ship, every member of her crew as well as the followers of Cervantes all stood and watched the fight between their leaders.  (REF: BONNE JENET VS. CERVANTES DE LEON)  In truth, even the loyal Lillien Knights had their doubts about Jenet’s possible success. But, the “rich girl playing pirate” was a skilled fighter and was more than holding her own against the dual wielding undead ship captain, Cervantes De Leon. 

After blocking a desperation heave of Cervantes’s swords, Bonne Jenet launched into the air and attacked him with a long bicycle kick. She then crouched down and created large gusts of winds with her strikes that smacked into Cervantes and put the dazed pirate down for good.

“I won!” Bonne Jenet screamed with excitement.

The Lillien knights clapped and shouted words of admiration for their captain. The pirates serving under Cervantes lowered their heads in shame.

“A deal is a deal. You all must leave now,” Bonne Jenet declared.

Cervantes’s first mate spoke up. “Actually, so impressed are we by your skill and power, we would offer ourselves to join your crew if you will have us.”

Bonne Jenet pointed at the fallen Cervantes. “You think he will take orders from me?”

“Cervantes, oh no. I have known him for a long time, and he is far too proud to submit to someone else. What I am offering is the services of the rest of us,” said the first mate.

“You would abandon him just like that?” asked Bonne Jenet.

“It is the pirate way, we have found a stronger leader.” He turned his attention to Cervantes. “I would offer to kill him for you, but I don’t believe he can die. At least not by any means that I am aware of. However, we can throw him into Davy Jones’s locker. That should prevent him from being a thorn in your side for a long time.”

“Throwing him in the ocean? That seems so cruel.”  Bonne Jenet walked over to the body of Cervantes.  “But, if this ghastly man is immortal like you say, he will survive it.” 

Bonne Jenet gave her blessing to execute the plan. Three of the former followers of Cervantes lifted up his body and dragged him to the side of the boat.

“What do we do now?" asked one of the Lilien Knights.

“We continue with our plan,” Bonne Jenet announced. “We now have a bigger crew and an extra boat to help us on our assault on the Freedom Survivor.”

“What is your plan?”

“We put a skeleton crew on Cervantes’s ship and use it as a decoy to get the Freedom Survivor’s attention. Meanwhile, we will be using a small raft to infiltrate the cruise liner from the other side. By the time Helena Douglas figures out what is going on we will be long gone after robbing her blind,” said Bonne Jenet.

Bonne Jenet and her crew worked out the rest of their plan as the storm intensified around them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOAD_Freedom_Survivor.jpg.57fa9bec967dbf8655c9f97a1d83dd91.jpg

In the cafeteria of the Freedom Survivor, Shermie, Tina Armstrong, Wolf Hawkfield, and Eliot all looked on as the impromptu fight between Brad Wong and Lei Wulong continued. (REF: BRAD WONG VS. LEI WULONG)  Lei Wulong finally put an end to the skirmish when he sent Brad crashing through a table. 

“Had enough?” said Lei.

Brad did not move. Eliot rushed over to his fallen friend.

“Brad! Brad! Are you okay? Wake up!” Eliot then glared at Lei. “What did you do to him?”

“My guess is that he passed out from the alcohol more than any one thing that I did to him,” stated Lei.

Just then, Helena Douglas entered into the cafeteria in search of Shermie to inform her of Chun Li’s departure to help Yang solve the mystery of his brother’s murder.  (REF: LEI FEI VS. YUN)

"What is the meaning of this?” Helena demanded. “You must cease and desist in this foolishness at once.”

“What can we say? Fighters are going to fight,” Wolf answered.

“Not at a time like this,” stated Helena.

A voice came over the loudspeaker. “Helena Douglas please report to your office. Miss Douglas you are needed back in your office.”

Helena motioned at Shermie to come with her. Shermie immediately followed her.

“No more in-fighting!” Helena declared as the two women left the cafeteria.

“Why didn’t you stop them from fighting?” Helena asked Shermie as they arrived at her office.

“It all happened so fast,” replied Shermie. “And honestly, there is probably always going to be a part of me that just enjoys watching a good fight.”

Helena nodded. “I can understand that feeling.”  She tilted her head toward Shermie. “Were you able to find anyone to go after Sarah Bryant?”

“Yes. Mila and Bass Armstong should be arriving there now,” stated Shermie.  (REF: MILA VS. VANESSA LEWIS)

“I hope she will be as valuable as you made her out to be. Her file was a little vague, but we certainly need all the non-alcoholic allies we can get our hands on.” Helena thought again about Brad Wong and Lei Wulong and rolled her eyes.

A DOATEC communications officer approached Helena and Shermie as they reached Helena’s desk.

“What is going on?” asked Helena.

“We have received several communications within the last hour,” he responded. “The first was a weather report. This storm is about to get much worse. The second was from Paul Phoenix and Marshall Law. They claim to have found a strong fighter from China to help make up for the miscommunication over their alleged pursuit of Detective Wulong.”  (REF: LING XIAOYU VS. PAI CHAN)

"I feel like we should just wash our hands of both of them. However, Paul did defeat one of Shadoloo’s main enforcers.  (REF: PAUL PHOENIX VS. BALROG)  That kind of strength does not come around everyday. What other information is there?” Helena inquired.

“Ken Masters and Cammy White’s group were both almost here, but have decided to wait out the storm on land before completing their trips. Kokoro’s group is also almost here, but they have not elected to wait out the storm. Kokoro says she saw something in California that chilled her to the bone and she is worried that it might come after you.”  (REF: CHRISTIE MONTEIRO VS. ELENA)

“I wonder what it could have been. I shall find out shortly I presume.” Helena stared intently at the communications officer. “Make sure we are utilizing all spotlights and available personnel to ensure they have a safe landing,”

“Right away, m’am.” The communications officer took his leave of the office.

A moment later, a red light swirled around the roof of Helena’s office. An alarm blared through the speakers.

“What now?” Helena cried.

“An unidentified ship is approaching the Freedom Survivor at an accelerated speed,” a voice announced over the intercom.

Helena and Shermie ran over to Helena’s wide array of security camera screens. They searched for the screen with an exterior look out into the ocean.

“I can see something heading this way, but I can’t quite make out what it is,” Shermie admitted.

“It cannot be,” said Helena. She paused for a minute. “Is that a pirate ship?”

“A pirate ship?” Shermie repeated.

“It does not make any sense. Why would a pirate ship come after the Freedom Survivor? Surely no one aboard that ship can honestly think they can take us on,” Helena reasoned.

Shermie had no clue who was on the ship, but she did recognize an opportunity to build up Helena’s paranoia and hopefully even her fear.

“Perhaps it is the thing that your friend Kokoro was so worried about coming after you. You did say this weapon you are trying to stop has been around for a very long time. It would stand to reason that there are many who are aware of your intentions to stop this weapon’s rebirth and would want to try and take you out first,” said Shermie.

“They could try,” Helena responded resolutely. “Still I want to get a better look at what’s on that ship before it gets too close.”

Helena reached for a microphone. “Attention all personnel I want to get a visual of that entire ship before we directly engage. It is imperative that we know exactly what we are up against.”

Out of the corner of her eye, Shermie noticed Bonne Jenet and the Lillien Knights sneaking onto the ship on one of the security feeds. Although she was intrigued by the group’s intentions, Shermie also knew that the presence of another King of Fighters tournament contestant meant more of a possibility that she could be exposed to Helena. But, maybe it no longer mattered. Helena’s mighty ship and massive DOATEC forces were in complete disarray. If there was a time to move in on Helena directly, this was it.

Helena’s eyes also landed on the screen with Bonne Jenet. “Who are they? How did they get on my ship? I must alert Lilli and Asuka, they are close to that location.”

Helena grabbed the microphone again, but Shermie took it from her and smashed it on the table.

“Shermie! What are you doing?”

“What I was sent here to do,” Shermie said coldly. 

“Are you in league with that pirate ship?” asked Helena.

“I have no idea who is on that ship, nor do I really care,” Shermie responded. “You once asked me why I stopped being a fashion designer, and why I no longer fight.  It’s because I despise all of humanity and your wickedness. My only desire is to revive Orochi so that he may punish you all.”

“Orochi? I read about him in the King of Fighers tournament files. That would make you…”

Shermie nodded. “Hakkesshu! I gave away my life once for his resurrection and I would gladly do it again if I knew it meant his success.”

“Are you working with Victor Donovan?” Helena wondered.

“I do not know that name. The man who approached me promised to use Soul Edge to help revive Orochi.  (REF: SARAH BRYANT VS. MATURE)  Obtaining Soul Edge will be much easier without you in the picture,” Shermie explained.

“So this is the moment you were waiting for to turn on me?”

“It was not planned. But, you are now the most vulnerable you will be with your precious DOATEC preoccupied,” stated Shermie.

Helena lifted her hands in the air, ready to attack. “Shows how little you know me, Miss Shermie. I have always preferred to do my own fighting, and I have come too far now to be stopped by anyone, much less you."  (REF: LILI ROCHEFORT VS. KARIN KANZUKI)

Great build up to the part of the story. Been waiting to see how and when Shermie was going attack Helena. I would have preferred less talking though, make it more of an ambush sort of situation. But nevertheless, I enjoyed it. The best part of this was the first half with Bonne. I'm rooting for her all the way!

I'd give this fight to Shermie but it won't be easy. I think it would more likely be a draw as someone would probably come to Helena's aid before the fight could end. Shermie winning would be great pay off though.

22 hours ago, SSJRuss said:

Great build up to the part of the story. Been waiting to see how and when Shermie was going attack Helena. I would have preferred less talking though, make it more of an ambush sort of situation.

That is fair. It was my original inclination to do a straight ambush, but I am always concerned that everyone understands exactly what is going on. Perhaps too much so. This is probably leading to too much expository dialogue.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyChany said:

That is fair. It was my original inclination to do a straight ambush, but I am always concerned that everyone understands exactly what is going on. Perhaps too much so. This is probably leading to too much expository dialogue.

A little yeah, but you work with what you have. I enjoyed it all the same.

Another good set-up, Johnny.

After looking up this match-up of more graceful fighters, I think Shermie ends up taking Helena out of the picture in a tough fight. Shermie's projectile attacks would likely give her the edge here.