Rumble 20581 Zyclops vs. Whitespikes
MATCH SCORE
Zyclops: 2
Whitespikes: 1

CBUB Fantasy Draft - Throw in your Slot Idea

Fox

• 2 weeks later...

SLOT X: Survivor 

A human character that has survived in a live action horror or sci-fi movie. You can use a character that has been kill off in a movie or its sequels, but at your own risk if you want to win. Sci-fi or horror characters from live action tv shows are allowed. No super powers.

Base Line Examples:
-Lt. Ellen Ripley
-Sarah Connor
-Tallahassee (Zombie Land)

Some terrain ideas:
-Who can escape from Jason Voorhees?
-Who can survive a week in Isla Sorna.
-Who can beat Freddy Krueger?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Movie-Brat said:

Has there been a Disney princess slot?

Currently, no.

We have had some Disney slots before, and some pseudo princess slots, but no Disney Princesses yet.

Speaking of which, we're probably lacking on Disney characters from the past couple of years.

29 minutes ago, Z451 said:

Currently, no.

We have had some Disney slots before, and some pseudo princess slots, but no Disney Princesses yet.

Speaking of which, we're probably lacking on Disney characters from the past couple of years.

Especially given Raya just came out.

• 5 weeks later...

For the next draft let's do three tiers. I'd also be okay with sever tiers but let's keep it interesting.

Tier 9. Because you have some wildly different contenders for that slot.

Tier 2. Because I don't think we've done characters that strong before. Could lead to some good bouts.

Tier 10 or Tier 6 for the other.

Slot X: The Team’s Pet Monster- The Monster’s from your standard monster flicks that stalk and eat/kill the humans only for the ragtag survivors to kill/escape the beasts by the end. (No mega creatures like the Godzilla monsters who could only be killed by other giant monsters or sci-fi weapons).

Base Line Examples-

-Xenomorph Queen (Aliens)

-Indominus Rex (Jurassic World)

-Graboids (Tremors)

-Sharptooth (Land Before Time)

OR

Slot X: Western Cartoon Protagonist- The main character of a beloved Western cartoon that can’t have originated as a comic book or movie character.

Base Line Examples-

-Dexter (Dexter’s Laboratory)

-Ben Tennyson (Ben 10)

-Star Butterfly (Star vs The Forces of Evil)

-Steven Universe (Steven Universe)

• Like 1

Can't remember if we've done this one before:

The Team's Espionage Expert: A spy or otherwise stealthy character using covert methods to complete missions for the team.

or, if we really want to have an RNG season:

The Wildcard slot: Any character tier 6 or below. The scenarios for this slot will be pulled from every other slot we've used previously. It might be a pet show, it might be a fight, it might be an old west shooting range. Pick a character who can do it all!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

SLOT X: The Team’s Monster

It’s like The Team's Dark Secret, but with monsters from the Sci-fi category. Monsters have to be around human size. No giant monsters.

Base Line Examples:
-The Alien
-Indoraptor
-Mansquito

In Season 9 I'll be looking to mix it up a bit. Here's what I am thinking.

First off, there will be no Bench.  The whole team will be played.

Second, matches will not occur with contenders in the same slot.  There will be two opposing slots that are put into matches - these opposing slots have totally different things in them.

Example:

Slot 1 is for Fantasy Characters - e.g. Conan the Barbarian.

Slot 2 is for Fantasy Monsters - e.g. Smaug the Dragon.

An example Slot 1 vs. Slot 2 match would be Conan vs. Smaug.

Totally an example, but you get the idea.

• Like 1

Int

6 minutes ago, Fox said:

Second, matches will not occur with contenders in the same slot.  There will be two opposing slots that are put into matches - these opposing slots have totally different things in them.

Example:

Interesting. 

The Team Detective: Sherlock Holmes, Batman, and L are not allowed. Basically the teams detective that has to solve famous fictional and real life cases. Would be a great way to get more of the investigator characters in the database some love. 

Case examples

The Maltese Falcon

Zodiac Killer

The Speckled Band

34 minutes ago, Fox said:

Example:

I actually think this would be a very cool idea.

2 hours ago, Mercenaryblade said:

The Team Detective: Sherlock Holmes, Batman, and L are not allowed. Basically the teams detective that has to solve famous fictional and real life cases. Would be a great way to get more of the investigator characters in the database some love. 

Case examples

The Maltese Falcon

Zodiac Killer

The Speckled Band

This could be partnered with a "Criminal mastermind" slot. Not like "evil geniuses" like before, but someone like Kingpin from Marvel or The Penguin from DC, or we could do just regular old criminals John Doe from Se7en

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fox said:

Example:

Sounds Neat. 🙂

11 hours ago, Fox said:

Example:

Definitely like the no benching idea. That will change the game in how people build their teams.

The slot vs slot is also cool and presents a lot of opportunities. Marvel vs DC, Monster vs Monster hunter, Detective vs Criminal, etc. Just got to have them mirror each other. Although, if there is seven slots I don't know how you would even that out. You'd have one slot on its own, possibly could just make that a Vs Battle Tier or something.

12 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

This could be partnered with a "Criminal mastermind" slot. Not like "evil geniuses" like before, but someone like Kingpin from Marvel or The Penguin from DC, or we could do just regular old criminals John Doe from Se7en

That's not a bad idea

On 2/27/2021 at 5:07 PM, Mercenaryblade said:

The Low Level Minions- The pathetic easily killiable henchmen that get cut down in drove by the heroes

EX: Stormtroopers, Kobolds, Cobra Troopers

We could combine this with like Redshirt allies. Like a heroic factions common foot soldiers/disposable characters. Just a thought.

17 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

I like the concept of having a slot of Detectives vs. a slot of Master Criminals.

Problem I have with it, though, is that the 'bad guy' slot may be at a disadvantage as, in fiction, these bad guys tend to loose.  So it presents an unfair advantage.

Now, another example is a Sci-Fi character slot vs. a Fantasy character slot. 

Something like that seems more fair because there's no inherent bias where one has a track history of losing.

Anyways, unless you throw out some quality ideas, you are gonna get whatever I come-up with.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, SSJRuss said:

Definitely like the no benching idea. That will change the game in how people build their teams.

The problem encountered is that after a certain number of rounds it becomes more difficult for the system to find a match-up it hasn't already run.

This, unfortunately, arose in Round 10 of Season 8 where the automation could not match two teams with new opponents and they were shorted a match.

Benching is cool and all, but it exasperates the problem of giving the system the ability to make matches.  That's why I used to end the season at 8 rounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox said:

The problem encountered is that after a certain number of rounds it becomes more difficult for the system to find a match-up it hasn't already run.

This, unfortunately, arose in Round 10 of Season 8 where the automation could not match two teams with new opponents and they were shorted a match.

Benching is cool and all, but it exasperates the problem of giving the system the ability to make matches.  That's why I used to end the season at 8 rounds.

We might just need to cut the season a bit short when we remove the bench. It's still worth a try and we will have more matches per round anyway. Or you could just run the same match with a different scenario and keep the 10 rounds?

Either would work for me.

2 hours ago, Fox said:

I like the concept of having a slot of Detectives vs. a slot of Master Criminals.

Problem I have with it, though, is that the 'bad guy' slot may be at a disadvantage as, in fiction, these bad guys tend to loose.  So it presents an unfair advantage.

Now, another example is a Sci-Fi character slot vs. a Fantasy character slot. 

Something like that seems more fair because there's no inherent bias where one has a track history of losing.

Anyways, unless you throw out some quality ideas, you are gonna get whatever I come-up with.

Thanks!

Slot for Dragon vs Slot for a Knight?

Dog slot vs Cat slot? Or a slot for Werewolves vs a slot for Vampires?

Slot for Avenger member vs slot for Justice League member

Slot for cowboys vs slot for aliens