Steve (Minecraft): 2
Jackson Storm: 0

Archangel vs. Gambit
MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Characters we hate!

treacherous

Stranglehold, I see where you're coming from, but I think you're saying it wrong.

For example, Batman the Animated series is for kids, but it's so much better than some of the stuff they show on the adult channels (Not the type some of you are thinking...). In fact, it actually won an Emmy, something other shows can only dream of doing.

Still, that's due to good storytelling, something anyone regardless of age can enjoy.

What I think you're trying to say, is that it isn't about the target age, but the value of the story. Good shows appeal to all, while others not so much.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stranglehold, I see where you're coming from, but I think you're saying it wrong.

For example, Batman the Animated series is for kids, but it's so much better than some of the stuff they show on the adult channels (Not the type some of you are thinking...). In fact, it actually won an Emmy, something other shows can only dream of doing.

Still, that's due to good storytelling, something anyone regardless of age can enjoy.

What I think you're trying to say, is that it isn't about the target age, but the value of the story. Good shows appeal to all, while others not so much.

Ok dude. Oh yeah I am thinking of making a Marvel debating group. Will you help me?

As with most things, the truest words on this subject were spoken by a comedian:

"Any book is a kid's book if the kid can read." -Mitch Hedberg.

Guest KevinDWolf93

Another guy Im not to fond of:Dr doom

Hear me out. Now let me start by saying up till a few years back I had no f'ing clue what his abilities were.

Genius.Ok makes perfect sense; Ohh, he has powered armour on,alright never got that before; sorcerer...o...k hes smart Ill buy that; wat! he just one-shotted a lion while naked?!?(Honestly ,I have seen that scan,someone has posted that) I swear if hes not a godmodder or some kinda marty stu then I will personally reread the trope page several times over. I think theres a story where he asked strange for help to get his mom or something from hell. Only humanizing thing I could find too. And I read he recently he discarded what little humanity he has left. Im not even sure why that needs to be said. Dudes already got the "more evil than thou" rule to most of the marvel universe.

Also the doombot thing. I get hes a genius,but Ud think his enemies would find a way to figure out a duplicate from the real deal by now. Basically, from what I can read on, its so his badassness isnt dampened. To paraphrase someone, though: If we can believe all the times its been said/mentioned it was a doombot and not the real doom who was defeated, then the real Dr. Doom hasnt appeared since the mid-70's!

To paraphrase someone on tv tropes

Every time a CBUBer makes a reference to tv tropes, electricferret slides a little farther down the scale of stupidity. How can you people spend more then five minutes on that site? Xanatos Gambit? Really? The best example of a diabolical mastermind in all of fiction the collective minds on that site could come up with was the bad guy from Gargoyles? Was Valmont from Jackie Chan Adventures busy? And there are separate categories for "Xanatos Speed Chess," "Xanatos Roulette," and even "Thirty Xanatos Pileup," which means someone thought Xanatos Gambit was such an awesome name it needed to be further categorized. One need look no further than the "Magnificent Bastard" page, which is just a list of every character ever to hammer out any kind of plan.

There are existing names for literary devices. People born after 1989 would do well to learn this, instead of thinking they're one-upping Joseph Campbell.

Guest KevinDWolf93
Every time a CBUBer makes a reference to tv tropes, electricferret slides a little farther down the scale of stupidity. How can you people spend more then five minutes on that site? Xanatos Gambit? Really? The best example of a diabolical mastermind in all of fiction the collective minds on that site could come up with was the bad guy from Gargoyles? Was Valmont from Jackie Chan Adventures busy? And there are separate categories for "Xanatos Speed Chess," "Xanatos Roulette," and even "Thirty Xanatos Pileup," which means someone thought Xanatos Gambit was such an awesome name it needed to be further categorized. One need look no further than the "Magnificent Bastard" page, which is just a list of every character ever to hammer out any kind of plan.

There are existing names for literary devices. People born after 1989 would do well to learn this, instead of thinking they're one-upping Joseph Campbell.

:P Umm, right.My bad... Anyways I was thinking all this time I was gonna get chewed out for saying Dr. doom.

Do you have links to these devices? Many examples across all media to show its prominence? And are there 30,000 of them, all with descriptions and examples? No? Then STFU.

I swear, every time I start liking Ivan( and a lot of other admins) for his hilarious and cynical comments, his holier than thou attitude pisses me off. I just need to get that off my chest.

Since Ivan refered to Joseph Campbell, he's refering to archtypes, literary terms used to identify common trends and stereotypes seen in literature.

Once you take a course or two in literature in high school or college you'll realize that most "tropes" are just archtypes given lame pop culture names.

So Ivan isn't copping a holier-than-thou attitude, he's saying that the way people treat TV Tropes as some sort of end-all-be-all of fictional stereotypes is kinda like saying "Michael Bay created the action movie." People need to broaden their scope of reference.

Since Ivan refered to Joseph Campbell, he's refering to archtypes, literary terms used to identify common trends and stereotypes seen in literature.

Once you take a course or two in literature in high school or college you'll realize that most "tropes" are just archtypes given lame pop culture names.

So Ivan isn't copping a holier-than-thou attitude, he's saying that the way people treat TV Tropes as some sort of end-all-be-all of fictional stereotypes is kinda like saying "Michael Bay created the action movie." People need to broaden their scope of reference.

Then he should of said that. Instead he said that "every time someone on CBUB references TV Tropes, CBUB slides a little farther down the stupidity scale". He's saying that we shouldn't use it at all and if we do, we're basically idiots. The way his post is worded makes it seem like he has a superior, mocking, and pompous attitude, unlike yours.

Guest catnips47
Not everything on this website is for kids.

Some comics are rated R. Like Punisher,Blade, Avengers was rated A for adults.

I didnt mean it like that when I said DBZ is for kids.I meant it was unrealist like a little kid would make it.

As opposed to sentry, who was purely created to outdo superman - and failed miserably.

DBZ no anime in general, tends to be much more 'reality' based than comics. You see the characters grow, develop, become stronger through experience and training, which is what attracts me the most to dbz and naruto. They aren't 'given' their powers, they don't drink a magic serum, or get bitten by a radioactive fish or get covered in jam, the go through rigorous exercise and body ruining routines - to become stronger. They 'earn' their abilities.

I can't believe he ain't been brought up yet but I hate hulk...........

Not the classic purple pants wearing green Goliath that we all know and love. I mean the new irritating smart ass one.

Hulk used to be me favourite character in marvel, no, my favourite character (pre dbz). I always loved the simple animalistic tendencies that created the character, his unrelenting rage, his unrivalled fury. Most of all, his simple sentence structure - a classic character. No other like him.

Now, it's all hulk with banners mind, which makes as far as I can tell, no sense at all. I read somewhere it was due to the constant stress on banner resulting in the stress of the hulk. Since when does hulk get stressed? Surely the more stressed he'd get, the more angry he'd become.

So, now we have ourselves an intelligent hulk, defusing bombs and making jokes about his chair breaking.

Then he gets shot into space.........we all know what happens there......he gets really angry......as usual.

However, rather than being so angry that he tears everything to pieces as hulk would he orchestrates a strategy to take down all the heroes of marvel.

Hulk......orchestrating ?........can I have a receipt with this?

And then there's WW hulk, which is basically just page after poorly drawn page of characters going ''WOW, HES SO ANGRY SO HES NEVER BEEN STRONGER'' simply because the writers couldn't think of anything for him to do to represent how strong he was aside from beating sentry.

He gets beaten by a little laser that leaves a small crater...............

Then there is rulk and Skaar...................

First of all rulk, he's beaten everyone so far, so eventually hulk's just going to beat him, this story is going no where - although it's allot more faithful to the classic hulk so it ain't too bad.

Skaar - The idea of hulk even having a kid is a most ridiculous concept. Especially considering it was hulk and not banner, who performed the (cough) relevant act for him to be produced - Which is the most idiotic thing I've ever imagined.Actually, no further criticism needed.

It's just sad to see Marvel ruin such an famous anti-hero, by changing every single aspect of the classic character that caught our attention in the first place.

Just to clarify, I DO have a superior, pompous, holier-than-thou attitude; one that extends far beyond the grinning idiots on CBUB and tvtropes and encompasses most of the internet. I love pop fiction far too much to have anything but contempt for the way you people treat it. This isn't cynicism, it's a rare form of depression brought about by the fact that none of you know what the hell you're talking about.

I had assumed that, in a thread called "Characters we hate!" I could throw a passing mention toward that cesspool of mediocrity.

Back on topic, I've always felt that Cthulhu is overrated.

Would that not have been easier ?

Easier than what? Attempting to explain WHY the ill-advised foray into modern comparative mythology that is tvtropes is an embarrassment to pop-culture aficionados on every level? You're mistaking "easy" for "accurate."

Guest catnips47
Easier than what? Attempting to explain WHY the ill-advised foray into modern comparative mythology that is tvtropes is an embarrassment to pop-culture aficionados on every level? You're mistaking "easy" for "accurate."

Why do you bother commenting ?

You clearly despise all of us on here, so why ?

Listen, I was having fun complaining about our favorite things to hate, and then all of the sudden we're in a discussion about how ignorance is fairly ubiquitous on the internet. I'm sorry to have to be the one to break it to you.

Back on topic. Atticus Finch is overrated.

it seems that some of u ADMINs keep saying the same thing, so

WHY IS CBUB here? why not end it.

Just to clarify, I DO have a superior, pompous, holier-than-thou attitude; one that extends far beyond the grinning idiots on CBUB and tvtropes and encompasses most of the internet. I love pop fiction far too much to have anything but contempt for the way you people treat it. This isn't cynicism, it's a rare form of depression brought about by the fact that none of you know what the hell you're talking about.

I had assumed that, in a thread called "Characters we hate!" I could throw a passing mention toward that cesspool of mediocrity.

Back on topic, I've always felt that Cthulhu is overrated.

*claps*

Ivan, you are now my favorite admin.

I'm serious you guys. The fight against Kerchak gets blown out of proportion. Hiring Johnny Weissmuller to play Tarzan is like hiring Michael Phelps to play Jason Bourne.

Guest Ghost Tiger

Master Chief - could he be any more stereotypical? Give us something that stands out from the plethora of characters just like him throughout the history of storytelling.