Gambit: 4

Characters we hate!

treacherous

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LegendX
Can't believe I almost forgot one of my primary hate objects: James Bond.

On a very superficial level, I understand why many people find James Bond 'cool'. In fact, it's precisely the fact that he's supposed to be 'cool' that makes him so irritating. He's the epitome of what's supposed to be cool to a majority. James Bond is not a character, he's a collective ideal. He's an escapist fantasy, even more so than many superhero comics. There's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of escapism every now and then, but James Bond represents the ideals of only a given target group. Beyond that, he's nothing more than a shallow action hero.

While I do appreciate the books for offering an insight into the mind of the well-off, aristocratic elite of post-WWII Britain, I draw the line there. I've never found the books nor the movies particularly interesting, creative, or even very entertaining. At best, the style of Fleming's books brings to mind a pale imitation of pulp magazines. Live and Let Die. From Russia with Love. The Spy Who Loved Me. While thankfully avoiding the ludicrousness of Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough, the originals can't really boast with verbal ingenuity either. The titles are straight out of a notebook of a first grader. Only thing missing is a crudely-drawn picture on the side of the awesome guy shooting a nameless bad guy (we know he's bad because the hero is good) to show off his awesomeness.

While many of the first movies were, wisely enough, made tongue-in-cheek with little regard to realism, the Pierce Brosnan films at the latest represent the ultimate dive into the abysmal dumbness of a middle-aged man's daydreams. It's almost as if the writers collectively decided to ignore the charm of the classic Connery Bonds by turning every new movie into a loud, obnoxious firework of guns, explosions, cars, and babes. When stripped off the self-irony and humour, the ridiculous nature of the character becomes all too evident.

Who is James Bond? His creator's idealized self-image, the oxymoron world-famous spy, a cynical aristocrat with nationalist dreams, and a satyric sociopath. All in all, not a very likeable person. Ultimately, James Bond is nothing more than an adolescent fantasy. That, or I'm just way too serious a person.

Wow.

I think you're just way too serious. But, maybe that's just me.

Bit childish.......and irrelevant as that's what most fans think about what ever they support

Really. I'm a known huge fan of Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure and I'm clearly aware that Jo Jo would not stand a chance against many high tier characters. He's just not strong enough to lay out characters such as the Hulk and Superman. I'm a huge fan of Domu, but I don't think the little telekinetic girl in that book would stand a chance against Jean Grey. To further explain my point of view, I never had any strong feelings towards DBZ. However, due to the ridiculous overblown (They can't be beat) support it gets on this site, DBZ is beginning to get on my nerves heavily. I support both Jo Jo and Domu books way more than I support DBZ, yet I'm fully aware that quite a few DBZ characters would lay waste to either of my fan favorite characters.

I didn't find it childish. I found it as a funny way of proving a good point, that you probably took offense to.

Guest catnips47
Really. I'm a known huge fan of Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure and I'm clearly aware that Jo Jo would not stand a chance against many high tier characters. He's just not strong enough to lay out characters such as the Hulk and Superman. I'm a huge fan of Domu, but I don't think the little telekinetic girl in that book would stand a chance against Jean Grey. To further explain my point of view, I never had any strong feelings towards DBZ. However, due to the ridiculous overblown (They can't be beat) support it gets on this site, DBZ is beginning to get on my nerves heavily. I support both Jo Jo and Domu books way more than I support DBZ, yet I'm fully aware that quite a few DBZ characters would lay waste to either of my fan favorite characters.

I didn't find it childish. I found it as a funny way of proving a good point, that you probably took offense to.

Not offence, I just thought it was a strange thing to say.

Guest silversurfer092
No, I was comparing relatively normal characters who train to characters who aren't relatively normal and train harder still.

His post doesn't help your cause no matter what you say. Landon or Ivan or whoever brought up the list of Anime characters who don't train has a very good point. You say that Goku trained his ass off to defeat enemies. Take away his Super-Saiyan blood. Now what? Now he's screwed. That was Landon/Ivan's point. You say training makes them. No. It aids them. Goku's heritage is the base of his powers, not his training.

Guest catnips47
His post doesn't help your cause no matter what you say. Landon or Ivan or whoever brought up the list of Anime characters who don't train has a very good point. You say that Goku trained his ass off to defeat enemies. Take away his Super-Saiyan blood. Now what? Now he's screwed. That was Landon/Ivan's point. You say training makes them. No. It aids them. Goku's heritage is the base of his powers, not his training.

Being a saiyan has helped goku slightly, Goku was born a runt. He has had to train much harder than any other saiyan to reach his level.

to be honest, i think being a saiyan takes up a certain amount of percent of how powerful goku is, but him trainning takes up the same amount maybe more...

now true take away his saiyan blood, yes, no more super saiyan, but hed still be one heck of a super.."human"???

now yea maybe goku has "help" to enhance his abilities, but he has worked for those abilities, no lie...which is more than i can say for some "Freak Accident" super heros, and "because the light is shinning down on me" heros or hero....

Being a saiyan has helped goku slightly, Goku was born a runt. He has had to train much harder than any other saiyan to reach his level.

Yeah...

That's why humans get stronger every time they have a near-death battle...

Guest catnips47
Yeah...

That's why humans get stronger every time they have a near-death battle...

You have managed to completely miss the point

The point is goku was born much, much weaker than the rest of his race, yet by the end he is the strongest one - due to training.

And you are aware humans get stronger by damaging themselves - aren't you ?

You have managed to completely miss the point

The point is goku was born much, much weaker than the rest of his race, yet by the end he is the strongest one - due to training.

And you are aware humans get stronger by damaging themselves - aren't you ?

And his constant, constant near death experiences in Dragonball as a kid. Seriously, he got into those situations a lot.

Guest silversurfer092
to be honest, i think being a saiyan takes up a certain amount of percent of how powerful goku is, but him trainning takes up the same amount maybe more...

now true take away his saiyan blood, yes, no more super saiyan, but hed still be one heck of a super.."human"???

now yea maybe goku has "help" to enhance his abilities, but he has worked for those abilities, no lie...which is more than i can say for some "Freak Accident" super heros, and "because the light is shinning down on me" heros or hero....

So, with this logic, Batman or Green Arrow or someone like that is the greatest character ever. I can agree with that. I'm quite a big Batman fan.

So, with this logic, Batman or Green Arrow or someone like that is the greatest character ever. I can agree with that. I'm quite a big Batman fan.

im a big batman fan too,

batman or green arrow could be the greastest char ever, thats someone's opinion...

but for batman to be able to handle super powered villians, its impressive...thats why he's my favorite DC char.

he's done some serious trainning....and his intellect is very respectable...yep he' a great in my book...

but so is goku,

Guest catnips47
And his constant, constant near death experiences in Dragonball as a kid. Seriously, he got into those situations a lot.

Yes, but far outweighed by the training he did in did in Dragonball

Yes, but far outweighed by the training he did in did in Dragonball

The point of all this is that Comics have just as many training,mainstream heroes as Anime and your case of Goku, who has the Sayian blood that pushed every other hard-training hero out of the picture, doesn't really help out your argument. Vegeta trains just as hard but has never killed a major villain. He's trained in 400 times Earth's gravity for Pete's sake!

Guest catnips47
The point of all this is that Comics have just as many training,mainstream heroes as Anime and your case of Goku, who has the Sayian blood that pushed every other hard-training hero out of the picture, doesn't really help out your argument. Vegeta trains just as hard but has never killed a major villain. He's trained in 400 times Earth's gravity for Pete's sake!

Goku's only killed buu and yakon.

Vegeta has killed Cui, Dodoria, Zarbon, Jeice, Guldo, 19 and pui pui, in a straight up fight.

Vegeta has killed Cui, Dodoria, Zarbon, Jeice, Guldo, 19 and pui pui, in a straight up fight.

vegeta didnt kill Guldo in a straight up fight, Vegeta got him while he was distracted, then blew em up. i dont really consider that a straight up fight..but the rest is right though...

man...thats all goku don killed...?buu and yakon..?

mmmm .....yep i guess ur right...trunks killed frieza, gohan killed cell, and goku killed buu....wow

vegeta didnt kill nobody REALLY major....poor vegeta :P

I said major. Let me reword this. Goku's defeated the three major magna villains(Frieza,Cell in GT,and Buu) along with almost every movie villain. Vegeta's track record: Humiliated and toyed with by Frieza,let's pride stop him from finishing Cell and is manhandled by Cell's perfect form, blows up to kill fat Buu and Buu still lives, and is even too afraid of Broly to initially put up a fight. That is despite training in high gravities as I mentioned before.Then there's Tien, yamcha,Krillen,and Chaotzu. Adult Gohan, who hadn't trained in years, was still stronger than them by the time the tournament came around. Your argument is flawed.I suggest using a different anime character than Goku to prove your point, if you know of one.

I said major. Let me reword this. Goku's defeated the three major magna villains(Frieza,Cell in GT,and Buu) along with almost every movie villain. Vegeta's track record: Humiliated and toyed with by Frieza,let's pride stop him from finishing Cell and is manhandled by Cell's perfect form, blows up to kill fat Buu and Buu still lives, and is even too afraid of Broly to initially put up a fight. That is despite training in high gravities as I mentioned before.Then there's Tien, yamcha,Krillen,and Chaotzu. Adult Gohan, who hadn't trained in years, was still stronger than them by the time the tournament came around. Your argument is flawed.I suggest using a different anime character than Goku to prove your point, if you know of one.

"Goku defeated three "magna villains" lol

"Goku defeated three "magna villains" lol

oh and krillin has an i after its second L not e....i dont know if that matters to u but just thought ied say it....... :P

Wow. Excuse me for not getting the names right. I do care though. I refrained from putting Piccilo( I know that's spelled wrong) in cause I knew I'd spell it wrong.

Wow. Excuse me for not getting the names right. I do care though. I refrained from putting Piccilo( I know that's spelled wrong) in cause I knew I'd spell it wrong.

gotcha,

u can continue your disscusion with catnips if u like...

i just saw the Magna Villians part and thought it was funny......

and people spell piccolo so many ways im not sure which one is right....im guessing the one i spelled....IDK

winner-win.jpg

Nuff said.