Steve (Minecraft): 2
Jackson Storm: 0

Archangel vs. Gambit
MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Characters we hate!

treacherous

Black Cat- What did she do? Really, what did she ever do that really meant something in the grand scheme of things?

The Cat, like many other women, gives artist the excuse to draw barely clothe women in interesting positions. Story wise, Peter was a lucky guy...

*wink* *wink*

Mario- For a plumber with character development the size of an atom, people really think he's one of the best characters in video games.

In his defense, Mario was created back when it was impressive that you could tell what the pixels were suppose to be. Nowadays, every character needs a story, but back then, did anyone ask why mushrooms made him grow? Or why he was fighting a giant monkey?

Still, I see where you're coming from. Mario still hasn't explained those mushrooms...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Darthsketch

Good choice. :o

If Mario got a backstory, he'd be ruined forever.

Agreed.

Just look at Sonic. The hedgehog has so much backstory that it's not even interesting anymore. Plus, what's with all the sonic copies?

Mario- For a plumber with character development the size of an atom, people really think he's one of the best characters in video games.

To be fair, he's awesome in these vids.

If Mario was that awesome in the games I would buy his games even though it's on the Wii(I HATE MOTION CONTROLS)!

show me a badly written Gaiman-character, and I'll show you a flying pig
Delirium of the Endless... shes annoying.

Ummm...

(also, you clearly missed how his Eternals stuff ended. Oh look, a Fifty-story Golden man in downtown LA aaaaand... hope?)

:o

We always talk about characters we love or characters who don't get enough respect, but what about characters that suck. In this thread we discuss which characters suck and why. let's talk about that shall we...

My first pick...Sentry (that's right Marvel Man)

Why does he suck? Long story...here we go:

First Marvel has always had one BIG BLUE looming bane to their existence. His name: Superman. Superman was first and Superman was/is best. He is the epidemy of hero. Marvel has always been on the coat tails of trying to compete and defeat big blue to no avail. Supes is an American Icon. He is known throughout the world by people who know nothing of comics. Sure Marvel has characters that can beat up Superman (IE: Thor, Surfer), but who can relate to a god and a silver alien (by the way, Superman catching Thor's hammer in the Justice League/Avengers crossover was pure retarded. Superman has a weakness to magic. Not to mention this is magic wielded by a god. That hammer would've took Supes hand off. Popularity kids...popularity always wins.). What's that you say, "Supes is an alien." Yeah, but he looks like you and I and was raised by Ma and Pa Kent in the heartlands of Kansas. He's more American than apple pie. People love him and they relate to him, more so than they do with Thor and Surfer. So...Marvel has a knock off Superman by the name of Gladiator (who happens to be purple and has a mohawk). Let's discuss Gladiator, Marvel's answer to Supes?

First and foremost, Gladiator is a jobber (Wrestling term: look it up). His job is to make more popular characters look good. Basically, if you want Thor, Hulk or Thanos to look more powerful, have them beat up Gladiator. That's his purpose. Meanwhile, Gladiator is free to beat the crap out of any super powered individual of lesser importance. Don't get me wrong, sometimes Gladiator beats the more popular characters. He once beat Thor. But, most times...he's a jobber. So, Marvel still needs an anti-superman. This brings us to Sentry.

Horrible, horrible Sentry. The worst Superman knockoff of them all. His origin was so screwed and marred, It took them forever to sort it all out. He was originally a hero, but we all forgot about him because of the void or somebody stole our memory or blah blah blah stupid. So whatever, he's here and you deal with it. Oh and he needs to be relatable...blond hair blue eyes. That's more American than Superman! Now, he's got some ungodly power of a billion stars or something. What? How? We still don't know. Now, we got to make him stronger than Superman. Let's have him stop Terrax's axe. Ooh yeah, that's a Herald of Galactus. Nice PIS. Let's have him rip Carnage in half. Yeah, another great move. Let's have him do pretty much anything.

But wait he needs a weakness. We need to make him more relatable (believable). Okay, his only weakness is his fear of himself. That's right...he's so strong that the only thing he fears is himself (the void...whatever that is). There now he has a weakness, yet is still a badass. Now we'll have him cower in fear whenever trouble arises. He's scared of life...just like me! Whee. I'm just like the Sentry. He's so much better than Superman. Blegh, never Marvel. Give up. You'll never beat Superman.

What are you talking about. Sentry is a good character. He would equel Superman.

Look at the neat stuff he did.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sif...01014_100DW.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sif...01015_100DW.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sif...01016_100DW.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/sif...01017_100DW.jpg

Guest silversurfer092
Thank you for highlighting (with visual references) the point I made for hating him. Thank you very much.

I couldn't tell if he was sarcastic or stupid. I hate people who hate Superman for the reason of "People like him because he was the first superhero ever! Blah blah blah, I like new characters who do what they want and have no morals or guidelines for how they operate." If you hate how he's a boyscout and how he does have ideals, fine. But if you hate him because he's an old character? That's stupid in itself.

I hate Tony Stark because he's a selfish douchebag. Although, "The Confession" gave him some redemption.

I also hate Mr. Fantastic. Anyone who feeds himself and his family to zombies because the zombies are genetically superior is a total douchebag. The fact that his passion for creating a prison for his friends ruined his family doesn't speak much for him either.

Guest MarvelFan15
I also hate Mr. Fantastic. The fact that his passion for creating a prison for his friends ruined his family doesn't speak much for him either.

Enter Mark Millar! :P

Blah blah blah!

I hate people who hate people who hate Superman for the reason of "People like him because he was the first superhero ever!" :P

I hate Tony Stark because he's a selfish douchebag. Although, "The Confession" gave him some redemption.

Agreed.

Guest Kinetic War

Sarcastic or no, what Stranglehold-prime just did there perfectly illustrates why I don't particularly care to join the CBUB Battles discussions anymore. People automatically associating "good characters" with "uberpowerfulness" is what makes many of the discussions a waste of time. Something that would never pass on the FPL, as can be seen here.

Back to the subject. There are a bunch of characters I hate because they are written that way, not because they necessarily suck. Sometimes, the line between being a badass and being a jackass is not noticeable at first glance, but it's there, and some characters are the latter but think they're the former. Luke Cage is one of those characters. I hate his macho-attitude and that Bendis made him one of the most feared characters in the Marvel Universe (like having unbreakable skin, muscles and a mean face really was enough in a world full of infinitely powerful beings), but most of all I hate his constantly acting like the bad cop. Threatening innocent people on basis of suspecting them or because he wants to earn their respect, and getting away with it without getting his skull crushed in retaliation at one point or another just makes him a karma houdini, and nobody likes a karma houdini. Same reason I never like to watch certain crime drama series, as it seems the cops tend to be complete jerks to all people they suspect. Maybe that's a realistic depiction, maybe not, but I still don't like it. To use a famous quote from the Conan the Barbarian series by Howard:

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
Makes me smile every time, because it's so true.

Now the Characters I ahte is DBZ characters.

Why! WHY!!!

They are ruining CBUB.

People think they can beat anyone.

DBZ is unrealistic and whack and it is for little kids.

"Oh my good I'm Goku and I can bust a planet" grow UP!

They talk the whole show then they fight for 1 minute then fight again. "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I can beat you, ahhhhhhhhhhhh" They say Ahhhhhhhhh all the time like the have to go to the bathroom.LOL

I think every Anime is over DBZ.

Naruto is the best Anime.

DBz is on the lower part of the food chain. :P:P

To be fair, the weakness to sunlight first showed up in the German silent film Nosferatu (rel. in Germany in 1922), so it's a relatively new addition to the vampire lore. Dracula himself, who could go around in sunlight unharmed and without sparkling, was composed of bits and pieces of folklore, and was very much an original creation by Stoker.

Still, the point is clear. I've never read or watched Twilight in my life, and that's not about to change. To an old (both meanings) fan of horror literature and movies, teenage angst versions of classic monsters is blasphemy.

Same here. Vincent Price would roll in his grave if he saw Twilight now.

So is Avatar. So is Dexter's Lab. Batman the Animated Series. JLU. Looney Toons. Spectacular Spider-Man. Do these sucks because they are "for kids"?

Are you a little kid.

Because I watch shows like Law and Order, Everybody hates Chris, NFL, NBA, I read rated M comics, I Love New York, Gangland, History channel, South Park, Boondocks, and Family guy.

I do not watch kids shows dude.

DBZ is unrealistic and whack and it is for little kids.

I think DBZ sucks, but your reasoning isn't all that. ESPECIALLY this part of it.

Most geek stuff that people love around here was CREATED FOR KIDS. Comics? Kids' stuff. Animated shows (regardless of country of origin)? Kids' stuff. Sci Fi and Fantasy? Kids' stuff.

Hell, most horror movies and stuff like that are targeted as teenaged audiences. From most perspectives, teenaged = kids, so that's kids' stuff as well.

Very little geeky pop culture stuff was made WITHOUT the kid/tween/teen audience in mind. This is why most geeky movies are PG-13. This is why the comic industry had the Comic Code for so long, and why they make separate imprints for "Adult" stuff (Vertigo, whatever). This is why Cartoon Network creates a separate block/pseudo-channel for their "mature" cartoons.

"Mature" geek stuff is the exception to the rule. For every R-rated Tarantino fick or District 9/Aliens like movie you're gonna get a dozen PG/PG-13-rated Spidermans and Dark Knights. For every late night anime with violence and nudity you get a dozen DBZs and Narutos.

So yeah, hating something for being "kiddie crap" is basically hating everything you likely enjoy.

I think DBZ sucks, but your reasoning isn't all that. ESPECIALLY this part of it.

Most geek stuff that people love around here was CREATED FOR KIDS. Comics? Kids' stuff. Animated shows (regardless of country of origin)? Kids' stuff. Sci Fi and Fantasy? Kids' stuff.

Hell, most horror movies and stuff like that are targeted as teenaged audiences. From most perspectives, teenaged = kids, so that's kids' stuff as well.

Very little geeky pop culture stuff was made WITHOUT the kid/tween/teen audience in mind. This is why most geeky movies are PG-13. This is why the comic industry had the Comic Code for so long, and why they make separate imprints for "Adult" stuff (Vertigo, whatever). This is why Cartoon Network creates a separate block/pseudo-channel for their "mature" cartoons.

"Mature" geek stuff is the exception to the rule. For every R-rated Tarantino fick or District 9/Aliens like movie you're gonna get a dozen PG/PG-13-rated Spidermans and Dark Knights. For every late night anime with violence and nudity you get a dozen DBZs and Narutos.

So yeah, hating something for being "kiddie crap" is basically hating everything you likely enjoy.

Not everything on this website is for kids.

Some comics are rated R. Like Punisher,Blade, Avengers was rated A for adults.

I didnt mean it like that when I said DBZ is for kids.I meant it was unrealist like a little kid would make it.

Guest KevinDWolf93
Are you a little kid.

Because I watch shows like Law and Order, Everybody hates Chris, NFL, NBA, I read rated M comics, I Love New York, Gangland, History channel, South Park, Boondocks, and Family guy.

I do not watch kids shows dude.

*ahem* I believe he means basing opinion on the quality of a show, rather than age demographic.

I love all the stuff that vgm just mentioned, yet at the same time I see a good part of what u mentioned. Now would it be a stretch to say avatar or dexters lab is better written that the stuff u just said...possibly not. Also Id like to add this to your reading list on definitions of kids:what do you mean its not for kids?