Jackson Storm: 0

Archangel vs. Gambit
MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Characters we hate!

treacherous

Guest KevinDWolf93
Listen, I was having fun complaining about our favorite things to hate, and then all of the sudden we're in a discussion about how ignorance is fairly ubiquitous on the internet.

Seconded, this is off-topic. Now I get cthulhu, even tarzan a bit but finch is really an intresting choice: Aged father, lawyer, sharpshooter? Though last time I read the darn thing was awhile back, so maybe Im drawing blanks on his god-modding abilities.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KevinDWolf93
I'm serious you guys. The fight against Kerchak gets blown out of proportion. Hiring Johnny Weissmuller to play Tarzan is like hiring Michael Phelps to play Jason Bourne.

My god.That analogy just proved your skills.

DBZ no anime in general, tends to be much more 'reality' based than comics. You see the characters grow, develop, become stronger through experience and training, which is what attracts me the most to dbz and naruto. They aren't 'given' their powers, they don't drink a magic serum, or get bitten by a radioactive fish or get covered in jam, the go through rigorous exercise and body ruining routines - to become stronger. They 'earn' their abilities.

Goku: Was born a saiyan, and "being saiyan" is the root of all of his powers.

Naruto: Had a demon fox placed inside of him, and said fox is the root of all of his powers.

Luffy: Ate a magical fruit that is the root of all of his powers.

Ichigo: Was born with the ability to see the dead, then was given "soul reaper" powers which are the root of all of his other powers.

Light: Found a "Death Note," and that book is the root of all of his powers.

Lelouch: Was given his Geass powers by C.C., and those mind powers are the root of all of his accomplishments.

Yusuke: Was born with the ability to sense the dead, then was given "Spirit detective" powers which are the root of all of his other powers.

Vash: Was born in some weird space ship tube and might be an angel or something vague like that, and his non-human nature is the root of all of his powers, just like Goku.

When it comes to "anime characters with super hero like powers," there's very few that "earned" their powers. Most of them were either born with them or had them bestowed to them in some manner. Exactly like super heroes. Just because an anime shows training episodes where the character "levels up" doesn't mean there's any sort of development in the story or in the character and it doesn't mean they "earned" their powers. They were given those powers exactly like how Superman and mutants were born with theirs or how Spiderman received his by being bitten by a spider. The only difference is that anime series actually show the characters training, while all of that usually happens "off screen" in a super hero story.

So yeah, this particular argument doesn't have much weight.

Guest Ghost Tiger

Naruto: Had a demon fox placed inside of him, and said fox is the root of all of his powers.

Ichigo: Was born with the ability to see the dead, then was given "soul reaper" powers which are the root of all of his other powers.

Lelouch: Was given his Geass powers by C.C., and those mind powers are the root of all of his accomplishments.

Yusuke: Was born with the ability to sense the dead, then was given "Spirit detective" powers which are the root of all of his other powers.

Vash: Was born in some weird space ship tube and might be an angel or something vague like that, and his non-human nature is the root of all of his powers, just like Goku.

When it comes to "anime characters with super hero like powers," there's very few that "earned" their powers. Most of them were either born with them or had them bestowed to them in some manner. Exactly like super heroes. Just because an anime shows training episodes where the character "levels up" doesn't mean there's any sort of development in the story or in the character and it doesn't mean they "earned" their powers. They were given those powers exactly like how Superman and mutants were born with theirs or how Spiderman received his by being bitten by a spider. The only difference is that anime series actually show the characters training, while all of that usually happens "off screen" in a super hero story.

Not to mention it seems that this person is dismissing superheroes as not ever training. Lets look at the list of heroes that train rigorously, and regularly. They almost all do. What do you think the X-Men's Danger Room is for? There are hardly any superheroes that do not train and become more powerful as they train or grow. It's called improvement.

Batman

Punisher

Black Panther

Nightwing

Catwoman

Cassandra Cain

Huntress

Tim Drake

Lady Shiva

Richard Dragon

Steve Rogers

David Cain

Bucky Barnes

All of the X-Men

I seriously could go on all day.

Actually Lelouch was extremely intelligent before he got his Geass, and aside from large scale schemes and to save his life he never really used it a whole lot. IIRC he even stated that he could have done everything without the Geass, it just accelerated his plans.

Now an Anime character that we should all respect for going from "that stupid weak guy" to "omg did he just jump 20 feet and wtfpwn a dozen brawlers?!" is Kenichi Shirahama... He was a regular guy, and was even stated as having no talent at all for the Martial Arts.

Guest Kinetic War

Can't believe I almost forgot one of my primary hate objects: James Bond.

On a very superficial level, I understand why many people find James Bond 'cool'. In fact, it's precisely the fact that he's supposed to be 'cool' that makes him so irritating. He's the epitome of what's supposed to be cool to a majority. James Bond is not a character, he's a collective ideal. He's an escapist fantasy, even more so than many superhero comics. There's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of escapism every now and then, but James Bond represents the ideals of only a given target group. Beyond that, he's nothing more than a shallow action hero.

While I do appreciate the books for offering an insight into the mind of the well-off, aristocratic elite of post-WWII Britain, I draw the line there. I've never found the books nor the movies particularly interesting, creative, or even very entertaining. At best, the style of Fleming's books brings to mind a pale imitation of pulp magazines. Live and Let Die. From Russia with Love. The Spy Who Loved Me. While thankfully avoiding the ludicrousness of Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough, the originals can't really boast with verbal ingenuity either. The titles are straight out of a notebook of a first grader. Only thing missing is a crudely-drawn picture on the side of the awesome guy shooting a nameless bad guy (we know he's bad because the hero is good) to show off his awesomeness.

While many of the first movies were, wisely enough, made tongue-in-cheek with little regard to realism, the Pierce Brosnan films at the latest represent the ultimate dive into the abysmal dumbness of a middle-aged man's daydreams. It's almost as if the writers collectively decided to ignore the charm of the classic Connery Bonds by turning every new movie into a loud, obnoxious firework of guns, explosions, cars, and babes. When stripped off the self-irony and humour, the ridiculous nature of the character becomes all too evident.

Who is James Bond? His creator's idealized self-image, the oxymoron world-famous spy, a cynical aristocrat with nationalist dreams, and a satyric sociopath. All in all, not a very likeable person. Ultimately, James Bond is nothing more than an adolescent fantasy. That, or I'm just way too serious a person.

Guest catnips47

Don't get me wrong, they are given an advantage - but thats not what makes them truly unbelievable.

Being a saiyan is the root of gokus powers - I assume you mean super speed e.t.c

How was he able to beat nappa

How was he able to beat vegeta

He went to the king kais kai planet.........and trained

How did he beat reecoome

How did he beat burter

He...........trained

How was he able to fight cell..........training

How did he go ssj.............he got angry, and his power level was high enough due to his multiplying factor and the fact that he........trained.

So, your a bit wrong. If goku had just sat on a farm........he wouldn't have gotten anywhere.

Naruto has the nine tails in him, which only comes out when he gets pissed. Over time he slowly learns to control his temper, and is still considered a crap ninja. However, then he goes of TRAINS, comes back as a sage. He is now better than most in the village.

He, wouldn't have gotten anywhere if he never trained.

Luffy, I agree with but how about Zoro, considered one of the greatest swordsmen on the planet. Does he have super powers, any advantages, no, he just constantly trains, pushing himself to his limits.

Even Ichigo, he had to train to learn Bankai, and hollow mask - wouldn't have been as strong if he didn't.

I'm sort of new in the yuske department, but he still has done some degree of training to increase his power, such as his spirit chains, would'nt be as good without them.

I think you mis-interpreted what I was getting at. Whilst most of the characters start with some slight advantage, the training is what truly makes them shine. Just look at superman. Why is he so strong ? Coz of the sun. If another kryptonian landed i.e supergirl, they would be just as strong.

Now look at goku. Why is he so strong ? Coz he's a saiyan. If another saiyan landed, would they be a strong as goku. No, because goku has trained harder than they have, making HIM stronger.

Guest catnips47
Not to mention it seems that this person is dismissing superheroes as not ever training. Lets look at the list of heroes that train rigorously, and regularly. They almost all do. What do you think the X-Men's Danger Room is for? There are hardly any superheroes that do not train and become more powerful as they train or grow. It's called improvement.

Batman

Punisher

Black Panther

Nightwing

Catwoman

Cassandra Cain

Huntress

Tim Drake

Lady Shiva

Richard Dragon

Steve Rogers

David Cain

Bucky Barnes

All of the X-Men

I seriously could go on all day.

This is true, but are any of them considered heavy hitters within their respective universe ?

They have to train as other wise there is no logical explanation as to why they would improve, although there is no logical explanation as to why any character can improve without training.

Does spider man train

Does superman

does wonder woman

does hulk.

None of them train really. Aside from hulk (who gets stronger as he gets...you know) these characters always improve, without any training.

Now an Anime character that we should all respect for going from "that stupid weak guy" to "omg did he just jump 20 feet and wtfpwn a dozen brawlers?!" is Kenichi Shirahama... He was a regular guy, and was even stated as having no talent at all for the Martial Arts.

As for an anime character who trained, fought and earned every bit of wtfpwn ability he has...Baki the Grappler. I'll respect that anime character's plight more than Goku anyday. Why he isn't on the CBUB database is beyond me, but this isn't a respect thread...this is a hate thread and I hate the fact that most of you don't get Ivan's cynicism.

Seriously, I'm about to compile reasons why I am getting sick of another popular character or group of characters. Once again, I won't be liked after this one...coming soon.

This is true, but are any of them considered heavy hitters within their respective universe ?

They have to train as other wise there is no logical explanation as to why they would improve, although there is no logical explanation as to why any character can improve without training.

Does spider man train

Does superman

does wonder woman

does hulk.

None of them train really. Aside from hulk (who gets stronger as he gets...you know) these characters always improve, without any training.

Actually Spiderman,Superman and Wonder Woman do train but they don't get WTF boosts of the power that they already have just by training.

Guest Shockwave

Most of the world of Naruto. And especially the fans. Ranting about how it's sooooooooooo good and how it's going along so well and everything.

*cough*bullshit*cough* I mean the other popular Shonen series are by far more intense and interesting. Fairy Tail and HSD Kenichi are key examples of great series that are underrated because of this filler happy, fandom run piece of crap. And I don't mean by the fans themselves oh no. I mean the author himself. He's an open Sasuke fanboy.

Next on my list just happens to be another ridiculously overly popular character Light Yagami. Mainly this character has such a high popularity because "He's soooo smart and awesome. He's able to kill everyone of your favorite characters easily!" Again, a series where the fans ruin it.

Code Geass, I just hate every single character in this series. No originality. It's a depowered Gundam Wing.

A few from my favorite series just have annoying characters that everyone hates. For example, Yu Yu Hakusho's Chu (i think that's the kid with the yo-yo's) just annoying.

Guest KevinDWolf93

Does spider man train

Does superman

does wonder woman

does hulk.

*facepalm*Did you honestly just ask if guys like the Batfamily, Capitan America, Punisher, and the X-men are high-level characters in their universes? Answer is yes, and most of their schticks are training to the peak of whatever.

As for the other characters u mentioned: Supes is actually a subversion since he tries pulling his punches. WW was an amazon WARRIOR before getting powers/weapons. Spidey was a skinny nerd before the spider-bite. Hulk...no need to comment there.

Training(unless for technique) doesnt help as much for powers as in anime.

Lets take a fun ex.

Batman is one of greatest martial-artists of that time. He can floor most humanoid shaped beings, not supes level strength.

Master Asia of G-Gundam is greatest martial-artist in that universe. He can punch out mobile suits and can punt skyscrapers...

With a few borderline outlandish exceptions(iron-fist,karare kid) U can see difference.

Guest MarvelFan15
Who is James Bond? His creator's idealized self-image, the oxymoron world-famous spy, a cynical aristocrat with nationalist dreams, and a satyric sociopath. All in all, not a very likeable person. Ultimately, James Bond is nothing more than an adolescent fantasy. That, or I'm just way too serious a person.

It's a fact: Kinetic War hates characters whose sole pupose is to be cool/bad@$$/OMGUBER!!!

Guest Dark Ranger X
Batman is one of greatest martial-artists of that time. He can floor most humanoid shaped beings, not supes level strength.

Batman is good, but there are better fighters in the DC universe.

• Batman has never beaten Lady Shiva (humorous side note: Tim Drake/Robin has. Only with the help of a "natural" speed and reflex enhancing drug).
  • Batgirl (Cassandra Cain) beat Lady Shiva.
  • Connor Hawke has beaten Lady Shiva, and has also gone toe to toe with massive sword wielding super-powered demons (unarmed), and has come out on top.

As for which character I hate the most, I'm still thinking. Got a couple I'm leaning towards; just trying to work out who I hate more.

Guest catnips47
*facepalm*Did you honestly just ask if guys like the Batfamily, Capitan America, Punisher, and the X-men are high-level characters in their universes? Answer is yes, and most of their schticks are training to the peak of whatever.

As for the other characters u mentioned: Supes is actually a subversion since he tries pulling his punches. WW was an amazon WARRIOR before getting powers/weapons. Spidey was a skinny nerd before the spider-bite. Hulk...no need to comment there.

Training(unless for technique) doesnt help as much for powers as in anime.

Lets take a fun ex.

Master Asia of G-Gundam is greatest martial-artist in that universe. He can punch out mobile suits and can punt skyscrapers...

With a few borderline outlandish exceptions(iron-fist,karare kid) U can see difference.

Batman trains more than superman - agreed.

But is he ,really, any match for superman, who doesn't train as often as Batman?

Captain America trains more than, lets say, the sentry

But is he, realisticy, able to beat sentry, despite training more ?

That was my point. Batman is awesome, but he isn't really a match for superman

And the same for captain america

Batman trains more than superman - agreed.

But is he ,really, any match for superman, who doesn't train as often as Batman?

Captain America trains more than, lets say, the sentry

But is he, realisticy, able to beat sentry, despite training more ?

That was my point. Batman is awesome, but he isn't really a match for superman

And the same for captain america

Tien trains more than Super Buu, but is he able to beat him?

Guest Ghost Tiger

Does spider man train

Does superman

does wonder woman

does hulk.

Wonder Woman actually does train. How do you think she became a master of so many different forms of combat, she didn't just magically learn them.

Superman was trained in H2H by Batman. The Kryptonians of New Krypton also go through rigorous training.

Guest SkydivingGamer

While I don't entirely hate them, fanboys have damaged my opinion of Cloud and Sephiroth. They act like they are invincible. There are quit a few characters who would pwn both of them. Thor and Green Lantern being two I can think of off the top of my head.

Guest Dark Ranger X
While I don't entirely hate them, fanboys have damaged my opinion of Cloud and Sephiroth. They act like they are invincible. There are quit a few characters who would pwn both of them. Thor and Green Lantern being two I can think of off the top of my head.

Uh, fanboys?

Did you see Cloud in FF7: Advent Children? The guy was a )@)*$@ god with a sword. You can't just blame the fanboys for him - blame Squaresoft as well.

Exactly

What? You act like in comics no matter how much they train, they won't win when it appears in anime just as much. I don't see how my previous statement helps prove your point. another example: Rock Lee, despite being the hardest training charecter in Naruto, has rarely won.

Guest catnips47
What? You act like in comics no matter how much they train, they won't win when it appears in anime just as much. I don't see how my previous statement helps prove your point. another example: Rock Lee, despite being the hardest training charecter in Naruto, has rarely won.

No, I was comparing relatively normal characters who train to characters who aren't relatively normal and train harder still.