MATCH SCORE
Demoman: 0
Ogra: 3

Match 16890 Lidia Sobieska vs. Helena Douglas

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART 153

jinandasuka.jpg.954bea40de4553210fda67af83816956.jpg

On the Freedom Survivor cruise liner, Asuka Kazama sat on a deck chair trying to decompress after another hard fought battle (REF: ELiOT VS. LEO KLIESEN) before finding out where the next one would take place. To her surprise, she was joined by the long blue haired ninja warrior, Sogetsu.

“May I have a seat here?” he asked politely.

Asuka shrugged. “You can do whatever you want.”

Sogetsu sat down next to her and regarded her with a warm expression.

“You are the one that came with the blonde swordswomen in the tunic, right?” inquired Asuka. “The one that captured the scientist that Helena was so worried about?” (REF: NICO VS. SOGETSU KAZAMA)

“I am,” Sogetsu confirmed.

“Thanks for the help, clearly we need it,” stated Asuka.

“I don’t know about that. From what I’ve heard from Helena, you have proven yourself quite formidable since you joined her team,” said Sogetsu. “She told me that she recruited you on the spot when you defeated another young, skilled martial artist right in front of her. (REF: ASUKA KAZAMA VS. SAKURA KASUGANO) Since then you have bested two other recruits of hers on this very boat during the chaos caused by Soul Edge. That is very impressive.”

“Neither Makoto (REF: ASUKA KAZAMA VS. MAKOTO) or Leifang (REF: LEIFANG VS. ASUKA KAZAMA) were in the best state of mind for a fight.”

“Are you implying the outcome would have been different otherwise?” Sogetsu wondered.

“I didn’t say that,” Asuka clarified.

Sogetsu smiled. “Good. I was so happy to hear there was still at least one shining light in the Kazama legacy.”

“Excuse me?”

“I haven’t properly introduced myself,” the elder warrior began. “My full name is Sogetsu Kazama. I know it’s not an uncommon name, but it is no coincidence that I have sought you out. I am one of your ancestors and I want your help.”

Asuka stood up from her chair. “Now wait just a minute, you can’t just walk out here and say something like that. How do I know you're not full of it?”

“I don’t know what I can produce to convince you, but it’s true. The lineage on your father’s side traces back to me,” stated Sogetsu.

“Even if you are telling the truth, I’m not big on family reunions.” 

Sogetsu chuckled. “So I’ve heard. But I was hoping you would make this one exception. I am leaving this ship and traveling to the Mishima Zaibatsu. I believe my younger brother and another one of your ancestors, Kanzuki, went there to confront Jin Kazama about Soul Edge. (REF: JIN KAZAMA VS. KANZUKI KAZAMA) I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it since he disappeared but I told Sophitia I would help her here first before I went after him. I have kept my word here so now there is nothing left to do but go to the Zaibatsu and find out what went down. And I want you to come with me.”

Asuka was already shaking her head no before Sogetsu had finished speaking. “No, no, no. Jin’s business is his own and I am not getting involved.”

“But don’t you see, you already are,” countered Sogetsu. “When you agreed to help Helena Douglas keep Soul Edge out of the hands of dangerous individuals, it put you in direct conflict with Jin, who I can guarantee wants to get his hands on that sword.”

Asuka took a moment to absorb all the information that had been thrown at her in the last several minutes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

helenafight.jpg.74a1aea27dc28b6b90af94a6d307c2c7.jpg

Elsewhere on the ship, Lidia Sobieska went in search of Helena Douglas following her conversation with Sophitia about Soul Edge. (REF: MITSURUGI VS. GENJURO) Her inquiries led her to outside an interrogation room where Helena was talking to MIST scientist, NiCO. Her right hand man, Zack, was standing by the door.

“I need to speak with Helena,” Lidia declared.

“Well you can’t right now. She is in the middle of getting information out of that crazy science girl,” responded Zack. “Perhaps there is something I can help you with?”

“What is being done to track down Urien?” Lidia questioned. “If everything Sophitia has said is true then we need to be putting all our resources into locating him and finding out how and where he got the Soul Edge shards from.”

Zack put up hands in a calming manner. “Relax mama, we got this. We have been working on this for a long time before you showed up. We have already sent out El Blaze (REF: KING VS. EL BLAZE) as well as Tina and Armor King (REF: ARMOR KING VS. ZANGIEF) to find out what information they can get from the King of Fighters secret agents. We should get a fix on Urien soon enough.”

Lidia narrowed her eyes. “First of all, you will never address me that way again. And secondly, are you telling me that is all that is being done right now?”

Zack shrugged. “Well yeah, until we can get a hold of Chun-Li or another lead presents itself.”

“What about the girl that Helena is talking to? Does she know about Urien?” asked Lidia.

“Who NiCO? No. Not as far as I know. The boss lady just wants to get some information from her about Victor Donovan and MIST,” answered Zack.

“Has he shown himself to be a bigger threat than Urien? Has he also shown himself to have access to Soul Edge shards?” Lidia inquired.

“No,” admitted Zack. “But Helena is sure that he is involved and she has been battling him for years now.”

“Unacceptable.”

Inside the interrogation room, Helena was using a practical approach in an effort to get NiCO to talk to her about Donovan.

“I know your primary motivation is your misguided research into bringing back the dead so that you can bring back your mom,” said Helena.

Before NiCO could speak, Helena cut her off. “Do you really think you will get any research done while you are rotting away in a DOATEC cell?”

“Threats of indefinite imprisonment, and people are delusional enough to believe you are one of the good guys,” NiCO remarked.

“I will not take any moral judgments from a member of MIST,” Helena insisted. “I am simply giving you your options. Tell me how to get to Victor Donovan and you can find some other shady organization to fund your work. Otherwise, you will need to get real comfortable here.”

NiCO was quiet for a moment before she eventually spoke. “Victor Donovan has been working with Kazuya Mishima and the G Corporation. (REF: BAYMAN VS. CLARK STILL) He has been trying to help him obtain Soul Edge. It is my theory that Donovan craves G Corporation’s resources which is what birthed this alliance. However, any simple analysis of the two men will tell you that at some point they will betray one another. I just plan to be away from the bomb whenever it goes off.”

The two were interrupted when Zack came tumbling backward through the door. He quickly straightened himself out and glared at the person responsible for shoving him through the door, Lidia.

“I apologize, Miss Douglas. She insisted on coming in to talk to you,” informed Zack without taking his eyes off the Polish Prime Minister.

“You need to stop wasting time on this girl and put more of your efforts into tracking down Urien,” declared Lidia. “Sending out a few wrestlers won’t get the job done.”

Helena was taken aback. “Pardon me? Are you telling me how to run my own operation?”

“I am suggesting that you aren’t seeing the big picture clearly,” Lidia responded.

Helena was infuriated by the second guessing, but was determined to keep her composure in front of her prisoner. “Zack, keep an eye on NiCO. The Prime Minister and I need to have a conversation outside.”

Zack saluted his employer and Helena and Lidia exited the interrogation room.

Helena immediately chastised Lidia. “Is this how you show gratitude in Poland when someone welcomes you on to their vessel?”

“I find that in matters of great danger, politeness can take a backseat to frank discussion,” stated Lidia.

“I see. So, then be frank with me. What makes you say that I can’t see the big picture?” asked Helena.

“I think you are blinded by your hatred of Victor Donovan and MIST. I understand he is a dangerous individual. I read his file and yours and I don’t want to diminish the history you two share. However, he is not the greatest threat in the here and now and you need to understand that,” Lidia answered.

“How dare you. Do you really think that reading a few files will give you the full scope of the horrible atrocities Victor Donovan is capable of? You have no idea how dangerous he is,” Helena insisted. “It is because of Victor Donovan that your bodyguard is in our medical wing.” (REF: SOPHITIA ALEXANDRA VS. UNKNOWN)

Lidia raised her finger in the air. “But does he have access to Soul Edge shards? No, not that we know of. Urien does. Urien is the more immediate threat.”

“I am perfectly aware of the threat that Urien poses. I am the one he sent a spy after to kill,” Helena reminded. (REF: HELENA DOUGLAS VS. SHERMIE) “I was actually here when El Fuerte utilized Urien’s shards and almost tore this entire ship in two. It is possible to pursue multiple targets at once, and in a situation like this it is necessary. You would know this if you had been here since the start, but you have not. I am the one that has been in the middle of this deadly game since the beginning. I will not take notes from someone who has joined in after the half.”

Lidia chortled at this analogy, but she tried to keep herself from getting too defensive. “A good leader knows when to listen to outside perspectives.”

“I will make you a deal. I will not tell you how to run a country and you don’t tell me how to run my operations,” suggested Helena. “Although, if you think you know better than me then feel free to fly your private jet back to Poland and use your army and your government to go after Urien.”

“You and I both know that in a situation like this a small group of warriors can be more effective than any army or world government,” stated Lidia.

“You are correct, I do know that. Which is why I put together this team that I am running,” Helena emphasized. “Because I am a true fighter not a politician who took karate classes as a hobby.”

Lidia was certainly not used to this amount of disrespect or discounting of her opinions. An idea struck her. If Lidia proved herself a true warrior to Helena perhaps the former opera singer would listen to her insights without lashing out.  

“I will show you just how much of a hobby Karate is for me and you will see that I am just as skilled as any other fighter on this boat,” Lidia promised.

Helena scoffed. “I don’t have time to play games with you. But, if you are insistent on this course of action…”

I did this for the old Round 2 matches so bringing them back now.

Helena Moves/Combo Video

Lidia Moves/Combo Video

As Pizzaguy pointed out, Helena did win the 4th DOA tournament, the last one she actively participated in. 

As for Lidia, I have read that martial artists are a fan of her character because she utilizes a lot of legit karate in her moveset.

Another good set-up, Johnny. It looks like some new relationships are forming, while others are being tested. 

As for this match, I think Helena wins this testy scuffle of blondes who are both used to leading. Not only does she have more of a plan for going after the bad guys and more experience in fighting varied opponents, but her piqua quan looks like it could legit counter a fair amount of Lidia's karate moves.

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - Pizzaguy2995
5.00 - leroypowell3
4.70 - DSkillz

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
14.70 Total Combined Score
14.70 / 3 = 4.90 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Lidia Sobieska: 3
Helena Douglas: 3

10 hours ago, Callisto said:

MATCH SCORE

Not. Enough. People. Voting. 

A tie might actually work out in this case, though, since this was more of a strategy dispute than a serious brawl. 

On 8/3/2021 at 1:55 PM, DSkillz said:

Not. Enough. People. Voting. 

A tie might actually work out in this case, though, since this was more of a strategy dispute than a serious brawl. 

As bummed as I am about another tie and not having either of these skilled ladies going on to the next round, it will be a little easier to write than some of the other ties because of the situation as you said and the environment around them.

On 8/3/2021 at 4:15 AM, Callisto said:

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - Pizzaguy2995
5.00 - leroypowell3
4.70 - DSkillz

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
14.70 Total Combined Score
14.70 / 3 = 4.90 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE

This has been happening way too much. Way, way too much.