MATCH SCORE
Demoman: 0
Ogra: 3

Match 16771 Ken Masters vs. Iori Yagami

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART CXXXXVII

chun.jpg.a5136184bb4f69a0ef9fda276e4798d8.jpg

Yang arrived at the temple that Li Long had directed him to. (REF: CHUN-LI VS. NAOTORA LI) Once he was there, he took in a sight he was not expecting to see.

“Chun Li!” he called out.

The veteran street fighter was outside the temple surrounded by Interpol agents. She glanced up from her Ipad at the sound of her name. Her eyes widened as soon as she recognized her friend.

“Yang!”

Chun-Li ran over to Yang and embraced him.

Yang was still in shock. “What… What are you doing here?”

“I came here for the same reason as you, I expect. To investigate the murder of your brother.”  (REF: LEI FEI VS. YUN) Chun-Li embraced Yang. “I am so sorry about Yun.”

“Did you find his murderer?” asked Yang.

Chun-Li shook her head. “Not here. I did get a description of him from the people I did find here.”  (REF: LEI FEI VS. DHALSIM)

“How do you know they aren’t lying?” Yang inquired.

“Just a gut feeling I guess,” Chun Li admitted. “Even more curious is that I got a hit on the guy’s description from my colleagues in Interpol almost immediately. It’s what we were looking at when you arrived.”

Chun Li picked up her Ipad. “His name is Lei Fei. Although he belongs to this ancient sect of monks, he has been loaning out his services to anyone for the right price. A couple of my contacts believe it is this man who was just filmed fighting Dhalsim in a restaurant in Japan,”

Chun Li showed Yang a video on her Ipad.

Yang silently watched for several moments before he finally spoke. “Dhalsim? How...I don’t believe it.”

“It looks like Dhalsim beat him. (REF: ROSE VS. ZAFINA) I am not 100% sure that this is the man that killed your brother, but it is worth checking out. Come with me,” Chun Li offered.

Yang was filled with a mix of emotions. He was relieved that the possible murderer of his brother had been defeated. He was happy that Chun Li was here with him, but also he was disappointed and a little angry that he might not get the vengeance himself that he so craved. 

“Yes, I am going with you,” Yang finally confirmed.

. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2121072399_hqdefault(2).jpg.0fb4bfbef724eb4b5f454f4749240e09.jpg

In Japan, Ryu, Kyo Kusanagi, Athena Asamiya, Honoka, Iori Yagami, and Kolin left the Meiji Jingu Stadium in Tokyo and traveled to the prestigious Kanzuki estate, home of the wealthy Kanzuki family, and more specifically Karin Kanzuki. (REF: TERRY BOGARD VS. KAZUYA MISHIMA)

Ken Masters had returned Ryu’s call shortly after Honoka defeated E. Honda in an impromptu match. (REF: HONOKA VS. E. HONDA) He told his friend about how he was supposed to travel to the DOATEC cruise liner, the Freedom Survivor, after Chun Li had told him something major was going down. (REF: SEAN MATSUDA VS. EDDY GORDO) Unfortunately, a storm prevented him from leaving the coast when he wanted to and then he lost contact with Chun-Li. After getting involved in a bar brawl with a moody white silver haired fighter in a leather jacket (REF: K' VS. KEN MASTERS), Ken also learned that the ship he was supposed to land on was no longer in the same area of the ocean anymore. (REF: ELIOT VS. LEO KLIESEN)

After reconnecting with his friend, Ken made the decision to link up with Ryu in Japan, to take it from there, and hoped he would be able to contact Chun Li again. He utilized his connection to Karin Kanzuki to get a private plane to fly him to Japan. Karin was more than happy to help. She wasn’t at her residence currently as she was still by her friend, R. Mika's side while she recovered from a brutal beating at the hands of ex NESTS agent, Angel.  (REF: ANGEL VS. IVY)

.One of Karin’s butlers greeted Kyo, Ryu, Honoka, Athena, Iori, and Kolin upon their arrival. 

“You are the first to arrive,” the butler stated. “Miss Kanzuki had instructed the head chef to prepare some delicious food for you while we await the others. Please come.”

Ryu, Athena, and Honoka followed the butler inside while Iori, Kyo, and Kolin remained in the garden after politely declining.

“Have you been able to reach your connection yet?” Iori asked Kolin.

“No,” replied Kolin. “Let me try again.”

She walked away from Kyo and Iori leaving the two rivals alone for the first time since coming together at the Meiji Jingu stadium.    

“So have you fought one of these ancient warriors yet?” Iori inquired.

“No. Athena fought one (REF: ATHENA ASAMIYA VS. CHAI XIANGHUA), Benimaru fought one (REF: BENIMARU NIKAIDO VS. Z.W.E.I), and another girl we working with, Maki, has fought one. (REF: MAKI GENRYUSAI VS. TALIM) They were all victorious,” Kyo responded.

Iori scoffed. “Then these so-called warriors clearly aren’t that strong and are nothing to worry about.”

“Remember it’s not just them, but also the other people that are being lured in by the sword. People like M. Bison who won’t hesitate to destroy Orochi’s seal if he thinks it will get him closer to Soul Edge.” Kyo thought back to his run in with Bison, when the Shadoloo leader had kidnapped Z.W.E.I. and Talim, and became angry. (REF: YOSHIMITSU VS. RYU HAYABUSA) “I should have fought him when I had the chance.”

“I am sure another chance will present itself,” Iori guessed.

A short distance away, Kolin again tried to reach out to Algol by phone, but to no avail. (REF: KASUMI VS. KAZUMI MISHIMA) She wondered if Urien had caught on to her looking into him and was cutting off her communication.

“What are you doing here?!?”

Kolin twisted her head to see an unhappy Ken Masters walking toward her.

“Is that damned Secret Society behind all of this?” Ken accused.

Kolin did not immediately respond and instead just rolled her eyes.

“Certainly things aren’t so dire that we would turn to the likes of you for help,” stated Ken.

“Apparently they are,” Kolin retorted.

Before things could get too heated between the two, they were joined by Kyo and Iori. “Ken, I thought that was you. Your reputation precedes you. Welcome to the team, my name is Kyo.”

Ken shook Kyo’s hand but kept much of his focus still on Kolin. “I have seen some of your King of Fighters matches, you are quite the skilled martial artist. But, what about her? Is she a member of this team?”

“Yes she is,” answered Iori.

“I don’t know what she has told you, but she can’t be trusted,” Ken informed.

“She has proven herself quite useful time and again (REF: KOLIN VS. MATURE) and I am just supposed to turn my back on her because of the words of the pompous United States Martial Arts champion? I don’t think so,” said Iori.

“We can’t fight the enemy out there and the enemy right next to us at the same time,” insisted Ken.

“We can keep an eye on her to make sure she stays in line,” stated Kyo.

“There is no need to talk about me like I am not standing right here,” said Karin with annoyance in her voice. “If you don’t want my help, that is fine with me, I certainly don’t need most of you.”

“No, you’re staying. We are a package deal, you and I. If they need me then they need you,” explained Iori. “No matter what this fool thinks.”

Ken stepped up to Iori. “If that is all it costs to get her away from us, then I think that is a price worth paying. Certainly we can find other fighters.”

Kyo shook his head. “No. Iori is a pain in the ass, but he is one of the strongest fighters I know. We will need him especially if the seal of Orochi becomes a target.”

Iori chuckled at the rare compliment from Kyo.

“I am sure I can more than make up for whatever we would lose by not having him here,” promised Ken.

“You want to test that theory,” sneered Iori.

Ken bounced on his feet. “If you want to go, just say the word emo boy.”

“Are you two really about to fight over me? You are being ridiculous.” Kolin commented.

“I agree,” added Kyo.

Iori laughed. “Get over yourself. It’s not just about you, not really. I have never liked this guy in any footage I have ever seen and then he has the nerve to come here and make demands. It makes me dislike him even more. In the end, I am sure he will only slow us down.”

“I am just trying to be smart… and careful,” stated Ken.

“You are being arrogant, but I am more than happy to beat that out of you,” said Iori. “Kyo, pay close attention so that you can notice how overrated this guy is, just like the other one that came with us. I saw you ogling him earlier, but they are all just show.”

“Let’s see if you still feel that way when we're done here,” Ken countered.

On one hand, Iori’s destructive abilities and fire manipulation feats are on paper much more devastating then any of Ken’s attacks. But on the other hand, Ken has regularly kept up with and even sometimes gotten the better of Ryu, I even think he at one point kept up with Dark Ryu.

Very tough, by feats it should be Iori but by scaling it should be Ken. Gonna have to really think on this one.

No where left to hide now, the big dogs are fighting it out now. Can’t wait to see what comes next JohnnyChany.

This one is definitely going to require some thought here. I want to say Ken based on his base level power and experience and level of unpredictability...

But Iori has the power of Orochi and if he loses himself to the Riot of Blood... He's uncontrollable.

But Ken is no slouch and when push comes to shove, he can in his own way tap into the Power of Nothingness.

On a measure of good faith, Ken. But he's not coming out of this unscathed.

On 7/12/2021 at 3:05 PM, RakaiThwei said:

This one is definitely going to require some thought here. I want to say Ken based on his base level power and experience and level of unpredictability...

But Iori has the power of Orochi and if he loses himself to the Riot of Blood... He's uncontrollable.

But Ken is no slouch and when push comes to shove, he can in his own way tap into the Power of Nothingness.

On a measure of good faith, Ken. But he's not coming out of this unscathed.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:35 PM, Pizzaguy2995 said:

On one hand, Iori’s destructive abilities and fire manipulation feats are on paper much more devastating then any of Ken’s attacks. But on the other hand, Ken has regularly kept up with and even sometimes gotten the better of Ryu, I even think he at one point kept up with Dark Ryu.

Very tough, by feats it should be Iori but by scaling it should be Ken. Gonna have to really think on this one.

No where left to hide now, the big dogs are fighting it out now. Can’t wait to see what comes next JohnnyChany.

Thanks, this is definitely one I was looking forward to getting to. The battle between the two rivals of their respective games main characters who are quite strong in their own right.

38 minutes ago, JohnnyChany said:

Thanks, this is definitely one I was looking forward to getting to. The battle between the two rivals of their respective games main characters who are quite strong in their own right.

You're welcome! This is definitely a close fight here!

Came fairly close to missing commenting and voting on this before voting wrapped.

Good set-up, Johnny. It definitely good to catch up more on the Street Fighter side of things.

As for this match, as mentioned, this looks like a very close fight after looking up what Iori can do. He seems skilled and very powerful, but then again, so is Ken. In the end, I think Ken might win since his fighting style seems a little more disciplined than Iori's, but with so many allies around, I think the fight will be broken up before things got too serious.

8 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Came fairly close to missing commenting and voting on this before voting wrapped.

Good set-up, Johnny. It definitely good to catch up more on the Street Fighter side of things.

As for this match, as mentioned, this looks like a very close fight after looking up what Iori can do. He seems skilled and very powerful, but then again, so is Ken. In the end, I think Ken might win since his fighting style seems a little more disciplined than Iori's, but with so many allies around, I think the fight will be broken up before things got too serious.

And by the looks of it, you saved the match from being scratched at the last minute so thank you for that.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyChany said:

And by the looks of it, you saved the match from being scratched at the last minute so thank you for that.

No problem. :) 

@Pizzaguy2995, @RakaiThwei, what happened?

16 hours ago, RakaiThwei said:

I just didn't grade. Simple as that. I usually almost never do.

Sorry about that.

7 hours ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

My bad dude. It just completely slipped my mind, won’t happen again.

If someone doesn't want to grade a match, it's perfectly within their right. It's just that most users here know it sucks when no one grades your match.

BTW, I'm not really trying to force people to grade matches, per se. I used to be more ... insistent on things back before EF's previous closing, and I think that might've actually turned some users away. I'm taking a more patient approach this time around.

19 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

If someone doesn't want to grade a match, it's perfectly within their right. It's just that most users here know it sucks when no one grades your match.

BTW, I'm not really trying to force people to grade matches, per se. I used to be more ... insistent on things back before EF's previous closing, and I think that might've actually turned some users away. I'm taking a more patient approach this time around.

I try and grade matches only when I am familiar with both characters and can judge how in character, the characters are acting. I never really played SNK, so I was a little out of my depth here.

22 hours ago, DSkillz said:

I'll do my best to grade more matches! I mean it's only fair that I try!