MATCH SCORE
Helena Shaw: 2
Lori Quaid: 3

Match 15774 Marshall Law vs. Jann Lee

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART XCVI

featured-urien.jpg.23ceaf36ac19a05ffcdaddd84a1ff779.jpg

In a hallway aboard the Freedom Survivor cruise liner, El Fuerte sighed to himself after walking away from Helena Douglas. She had given him the green light to put together a feast for all the fighters that had gathered aboard the ship to make sure the powerful weapon, Soul Edge, remained out of the hands of evil. Unbeknownst to Helena, however, El Fuerte had an ulterior objective. 

The masked luchador pulled out the black pouch he had received from Shermie from his pocket. (REF: ELIOT VS. JOSIE RIZAL) He opened it and marveled at the tiny shards of Soul Edge within. (REF: BONNE JENET VS. CERVANTES DE LEON)

“It as just as Senor Urien had said. It will be the heel turn of the century. The turn no one saw coming,” he whispered.

*FLASHBACK*

El Fuerte sat in Urien’s office and fidgeted with his hands. He was not sure if he could trust the second in command of the Secret Society, but a promise to get El Fuerte back into the World Warrior tournament had lured him in. Now, as Urien presented his plan to unleash chaos upon the world, El Fuerte was lost in a sea of confusion.

“Why are you asking for my help?” asked the masked chef. “Por que? What about me makes you think I would be a part of this?”

“The part of you that yearns for reinvention, the part that yearns for relevance,” Urien answered.

El Fuerte shook his head. “Not like this.”

“You need to expand your view of the world, amigo. I’m not advocating that evil shall rule the Earth. In its current state, the world will only be the endless cycle of treachery and despair that we now know. But, we can make it better. We can break it down and rebuild it into a more just and noble world,” Urien explained.

“With you in charge,” assumed El Fuerte.

“If I knew a better man to lead the Secret Society, I would happily acquiesce. Unfortunately, no such man exists,” Urien replied.

El Fuerte buried his masked face in his hands in frustration.

“You also don’t have much of a choice.” A threatening tone took shape in Urien’s speech. “If you deny me here, you are losing much more than a chance at relevancy again. Your restaurant, your family, could all disappear at the snap of my fingers,”

El Fuerte remained silent.

Urien slammed down a flyer on the table highlighting a charity fight between Lili Rochefort and Karin Kanzuki in Las Vegas. (REF: LILI ROCHEFORT VS. KARIN KANZUKI)  “You are to go here and get in the good graces of one, Helena Douglas. She will be looking for allies to help stop what must be done. All you have to do is help her until the time is right. Then you will need to destroy her group from the inside. You are merely a back up plan if other options go south. (REF: HELENA DOUGLAS VS. SHERMIE) There is a good chance you will not need to do anything at all. But, if the time does come you need to do exactly as you are told.”

“Why me?” El Fuerte pleaded.

“Let me put it in terms someone of your profession would understand. It would be the heel turn of the century, the turn no one saw coming,” Urien responded.

*/FLASHBACK*

El Fuerte steeled himself to complete his objective and keep his family safe. He walked away to find Zack so that he could coordinate with the DOATEC chefs. El Fuerte would have to find a way to get the small shards of Soul Edge concealed well enough in the food to enact Urien’s plan to infect Helena’s allies. It was a culinary challenge he had never expected to face.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marshalllawjannlee.thumb.jpg.726a5f331b10c3c1f9cab20672512b8e.jpg

Outside of their rooms on the Freedom Survivor cruise liner, Pai Chan and Marshall Law engaged in a friendly skirmish to test their fighting abilities, Paul Phoenix watched the skirmish with pride as their new recruit for Helena’s cause appeared to be his good friend’s equal.

With neither fighter gaining an advantage, the two paused for a moment.

“Those are some fancy kicks you have,” Pai Chan marveled. “Reminds me of a fellow actor that I have come across a few times named…”

“Fei Long,”  Law said with a smirk.

“You have heard the comparison before?” Pai Chan asked.

“A few times,” Law replied.

They were then interrupted by the arrival of a DOATEC official. “Helena Douglas requests all of you in the dining hall. There is to be a feast prepared by the fighting chef, El Fuerte, as a thank you to all the fighters that have come and also to the ones that have helped so far with the pirate attack.” (REF: LEI WULONG VS. GUILE)

Paul Phoenix chuckled. “That little guy never told us he was planning something like this. Well. well, what a fantastic idea.”

“Considering our travels together, I am shocked he did not ask for my assistance,” stated Law. (REF: MARSHALL LAW VS. LAU CHAN)

“Maybe he wanted it to be a pleasant surprise for everyone,” Paul guessed.

Law, Paul, and Pai Chan followed the DOATEC official to the dining hall.

“Have a seat wherever you would like,” said the official.

Paul pointed to a table where Asuka Kazama, Josie Rizal, and Makoto sat. “Hey there’s Asuka, let’s sit over there.”

Law shook his head. “I think she would spend the entire time making fun of us over the Lei Wulong fiasco.” (REF: LING XIAYU VS. PAI CHAN)

Paul pointed at a different table where Lei Wulong and Guile were seated. “Speak of the devil, he is right over there. We could sit with him. The guy he is sitting with has an awesome haircut.”

“That’s probably an even worse idea,” said Law.

Paul looked over his shoulder and realized that Pai Chan was no longer with them. “Hey, where did she go?”

Law was first to spot the Chinese action star who was now chatting up three Dead or Alive fighters, Jann Lee, Hitomi, and Leifang. Law and Paul made their way over to them.

Law took notice of his friend staring at Hitomi intently. “Dude?”

Paul marveled. “She is the most gorgeous woman I have ever seen.” 

Law smiled. “Don’t worry bro,I got you. I’ll make sure you have all the time you need to impress her.”

“Thanks, man.”

Law and Paul introduced themselves, then the six fighters sat down for the feast. Amidst all the conversations, Law did his best to portray Paul in a positive light. When the meal was finished, and Hitomi wanted to compliment the chef in person, Law suggested Paul could introduce her to him.

A short time later, Law, Jann Lee, Pai Chan, and Leifang walked through the halls next to the dining hall, continuing their conversations from the meal.

“So you actually fought against Fei Long?” Law asked.,”:

“Yeah. It wasn’t my intention, But, he was insulted by my presence,” Jann Lee recalled.  (REF: FEI LONG VS. JANN LEE

“How did it go?” Law wondered.

“I beat him. He has some legitimate skill, although he wasn’t nearly as impressive as his movies make him out to be,” said Jann Lee.

Law laughed. “Wow. I’m so jealous of the fame and fortune coming your way from doing a movie with Fei Long.”

Jann Lee corrected him. “There’s no movie now, I was fired on the spot after the fight and then I ended up being picked up by Zack and the others.” (REF: LUCKY GLAUBER VS. ZACK)

“Disappointing.”

“Not really, I just took the part to pay for a new dojo to train. There are other ways to secure funds,”

“But no way would be as cool as being a movie star. The money, the women….” A huge smile appeared across Law’s face as he imagined himself in that situation.

Jann Lee shook his head with disappointment. “You are just like they described.”

“Huh?”

“When I arrived on this ship I met with Asuka Kazama and Lei Wulong. They told me that I reminded them of you, which I took as an insult because they described you as a clown always looking for some quick cash,” Jann Lee .

“There is more to me than that,” Law insisted.

“It must be the fighting style. May I see some of your stances?” Jann Lee asked.

Law was still feeling insulted but complied with the request and showed off some of his defensive stances.

Suddenly, Jann Lee and Marshall Law heard loud shouting from up ahead and they quickly ran to the source of the voices. Leifang and Pai Chan who had been walking behind them did not hear the voices or notice the two men running off.  (REF: PAI CHAN VS. LEIFANG)

Jann Lee and Marshall Law ran up to a brawl between various members of DOATEC security.

“Help us,” one of the security guards pleaded. “These guys have gone insane.”

“What do we do?” asked Law.

“Put down the scuffle and then ask questions,” Jann Lee suggested.

Law nodded in agreement. The Jeet Kune Do practitioners jumped into the fray and fought off the more aggressive of the DOATEC security guards.

A thinly veiled anger began to show itself as Jann Lee continued to fight. He was angry about not being able to test his true abilities and he was angry about being perceived the same as another fighter that other fighters didn’t respect. The amount of anger, though, even caught Jann Lee by surprise. But, with each punch and kick he fed into it more until he completely consumed him.

Meanwhile, a few feet away Marshall Law was also making quick work of DOATEC security, However, he did it with a smile on his face. He glanced over at Jann Lee who was pounding DOATEC security guards into the ground.

“Hey ease up man, we won’t be able to ask them questions if you put them in a coma.” 

Jann Lee glared back at Law, his eyes glowing orange. “You want some of this, clown.” 

Marshall Law took a step back at the sight of Jann Lee’s intense rage. "What is going on here? Are you okay man?"

Jan Lee extended his fist out. “Wahhhhhh!”

“Oh man, oh man. This is not good,” said Law.

Man, I've fallen behind on reading set-ups lately. I'm all caught up on this arc now, though, and it's good to finally see El Fuerte's motivations behind causing all this mayhem with the Soul Edge shards. Oh man, is he gonna get it when the good guys finally catch on! :D 

As for this match, while both Marshall Law and Jann Lee both seem to be great at Jeet Kune Do, Jann looks a little quicker in combat and his distance game may play directly into Mashall's weakness of having a lack of range. Jann's Soul Edge-induced rage may cloud his focus a bit and help come close to evening things out, but I'm thinking he still narrowly takes this one.

Good set-ups all around, Johnny.

The El Fuerte heel turn is going to be awesome. I love this idea and very interested on how this will play out. I liked the flashback in this set-up, well written and engaging.

As for the fight, I think I have to go with Law. I think his form and focus are better than Jann's and with Jann being in a rage state I think he'll make a few mistakes that will cost him.

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - ViceCityMobster86
5.00 - patrickthekid
4.20 - DSkillz
5.00 - SSJRuss
5.00 - Boratz

FPA Calculation:
5 Total Votes cast
24.20 Total Combined Score
24.20 / 5 = 4.84 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE