Rumble 20567 Ed (Street Fighter) vs. Mama Odie vs. Pickle
MATCH SCORE
Ed (Street Fighter): 0
Mama Odie: 0
Pickle (Baki the Grappler): 2

Anime and Manga

Guest Magnus

Guest Shockwave

Go to mangastream.com now for the latest updates for the shonens.

Yes I know my taste in this stuff is stupid to some of the older members here, but whitebeard.....HOLY *vulgarity*! He makes Kamina look like a bitch!

Guest Magnus
Go to mangastream.com now for the latest updates for the shonens.

Yes I know my taste in this stuff is stupid to some of the older members here, but whitebeard.....HOLY *vulgarity*! He makes Kamina look like a bitch!

Oh my god! The old leader character who sacrificed himself three chapters ago died?!?! That totally makes it better than Kamina's death in Gurren lagann which (While hinted at as a possibility) was not foreshadowed and not played as a cliché.

PS. If Whitebeard had come back from the dead to blow up the island I would have been impressed.

I saw ONE episode of Gurran Lagaan; the one where Kamina dies.

If you didn't know that someone in that kiss was going to be dead by episode's end, you must turn in your geek badge. (Granted, I thought it would be the chick because I thought the dude was the main character, but still).

Guest Shockwave
Oh my god! The old leader character who sacrificed himself three chapters ago died?!?! That totally makes it better than Kamina's death in Gurren lagann which (While hinted at as a possibility) was not foreshadowed and not played as a cliché.

PS. If Whitebeard had come back from the dead to blow up the island I would have been impressed.

Oh so

Having your face blown half off doesn't count for badassery?

Actually come to think of it, Oda's starting to kill.....two supporting characters in one arch....that's just freaky.

Guest Magnus
(Granted, I thought it would be the chick because I thought the dude was the main character, but still).

Exactly, the series up until that point seemed to feature Kamiona more than Simon, and the silly/over the top nature of the show seemed to indicate that the lead character wouldn't die/ Not that the focal point would shift to the mousy little brother.

Guest catnips47
Exactly, the series up until that point seemed to feature Kamiona more than Simon, and the silly/over the top nature of the show seemed to indicate that the lead character wouldn't die/ Not that the focal point would shift to the mousy little brother.

Is it worth reading ? I read the first chapter but thought ''oh no - more big robots''. It's a bit of a generalisation but I genuinely dislike big robots. Is there anything that makes it shine...???

Guest Magnus
Is it worth reading ? I read the first chapter but thought ''oh no - more big robots''. It's a bit of a generalisation but I genuinely dislike big robots. Is there anything that makes it shine...???

It depends on how deeply you look into it. It starts off as a zany adventure series that just so happen to feature large robots. But as it goes on it begins to question more and more things, Free will Verses destiny, Morality, and eventually man vs. "god". It's one of my favorites and I highly suggest watching the series (As I don't think the manga has been entirely published yet).

SuperGurrenlagann.jpg

Those little things in the background are galaxies.

You don't read Gurren Lagaan, you watch it. The manga is just an adaptation of the anime series. The anime came first and should be seen before bothering with the manga.

Guest Magnus
You don't read Gurren Lagaan, you watch it. The manga is just an adaptation of the anime series. The anime came first and should be seen before bothering with the manga.

Debatable.

But Landon is right, Watch the series, then read the manga.

Not sure when I'll get to it on my blog (hopefully sometime this week), but here's my Top 20 Anime Series, minus discussion:

20: Sailor Moon

19: Black Lagoon

18: Darker Than Black

17: Magic User's Club

16: Big O

15: Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex

14: Boogiepop Phantom

13: Outlaw Star

12: The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

11: Azumanga Daioh

10: Lupin The Third

9: Genshiken

8: Air Master

7: Neon Genesis Evangelion

6: Baccano!

5: Ranma 1/2

4: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

3: Revolutionary Girl Utena

2: Maison Ikkoku

1: Cowboy Bebop

If you don't recognize one of them, they're easily wikied or youtubed.

Guest Magnus
Are those in order? Black Lagoon, Darker Than Black, and Ghost in the Shell seem low on the list.

Agreed, And Big O is listed but no GL or Lucky Star?

Edit: OHMYGODZ WH3re iz DBZ?!?!

The list I have on my computer goes to 50. Might end up going that far when I get to it on my blog.

Gurren Lagaan and Lucky Star are nowhere on that list, either.

Yes, it's in desending order. Hence why I numbered them. Considering I've seen enough series that I could easily make a Top 50 and still have numerous series left off, being this high is a pretty "lofty" position.

Also nowhere near my list: Naruto, DBZ, Bleach, Death Note, Code Geass, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ruroni Kenshin, Trigun, anything Gundam or Macross/Robotech-related, Inu Yasha, Fullmetal Alchemist, and I'm sure several other series that people would expect.

Guest Magnus
Landon said:
Gurren Lagaan and Lucky Star are nowhere on that list, either.

Really? While the Luckystar was a jab at the fact that I'm annoyed at how many people claim to love a series based around melodramatic teenagers, I really am surprised at the lack of sunglass wearing robots from the top fifty list. And I'm not saying that you should like it I'm merely wondering why.

Personaly, It's #2 on my top four, With Evangelion, Baccano! Cowboy Bebop rounding the top spots, It may just be that I really connect with the nature of the series, or the theme, but I really love this show. I also connect with the characters on a somewhat deeper level due to the event during my training where I unconsciously shouted a certain phrase of said series as I busted my way through a wall with no air left.

That, and I really am surprised by the inclusion of Big O, I watched the series a while back, and maybe the English dubs don't capture the character correctly, but It failed to grab my attention in the same way that Black Lagoon or Darker than Black did. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it failed to leave the lasting impression that many of the other series on your list did.

• 2 months later...

As most of you know Toei Animation recently release a "New" Dragonball series call Dragonball Kai (Dragonball Z Kai in america) And all it is is DBZ remastered with all (Well... most) of the filler cut out. What was originally a 291 episode series is being cut to a slim 100 episode series. With this you miss such good fillers as Goku's journeys on snake way, but the whole Garlic Jr. saga, however, you wont get the crappy 5 episodes of charging and Gohan's training by Piccolo. Not to mention there is little to no blood in this series and Bardock is missing his scar.

So do you think they cut out to much? Or do you like it better this way.

Discuss!

Guest TheJ0ke
As most of you know Toei Animation recently release a "New" Dragonball series call Dragonball Kai (Dragonball Z Kai in america) And all it is is DBZ remastered with all (Well... most) of the filler cut out. What was originally a 291 episode series is being cut to a slim 100 episode series. With this you miss such good fillers as Goku's journeys on snake way, but the whole Garlic Jr. saga, however, you wont get the crappy 5 episodes of charging and Gohan's training by Piccolo. Not to mention there is little to no blood in this series and Bardock is missing his scar.

So do you think they cut out to much? Or do you like it better this way.

Discuss!

Yeah I'm going with the TVPG -> TVY7 option.

The series itself isn't terrible, but the fact that there is absolutely no blood and the fact that every time that something serious hits Nitcktoons does a whiteout transition to the people just lying on the ground kinda ruined it.

The non-kiddied version should be better, but until then, I'm not watching it (too much).

Alright, which Admin edited it? I'm fine if that's your opinion, but editing the poll to go your way is low and a minor abuse of power.

Ivvvvvvannnnn. I see you on the users list viewing the topic. You're not getting away with it this time, you rascal! But seriously, seeing as you're the only Admin on, viewing this very topic, it was you.

Alright, which Admin edited it? I'm fine if that's your opinion, but editing the poll to go your way is low and a minor abuse of power.

Ivvvvvvannnnn. I see you on the users list viewing the topic. You're not getting away with it this time, you rascal! But seriously, seeing as you're the only Admin on, viewing this very topic, it was you.

Dude... drop it.

Just get IKA to edit his poll, remove the Ivaned poll and replace with another one that covers that topic... sure you loose any votes that went there before all that but then again I really don't think 70+ people saw this, entered it hating and knowing that it was about DBZ, and valued it enough to actually vote against it....

Guest AKUMA

im only watching kai just to see exactly WHAT is cut out.

of course bloods not going to be on nicktoons. if u want blood, watch uncut DBZ which is on DVD and youtube(some).

im glad fillers being cut. dbz can get right to the point. especially since ive seen all the filler, ive got no patience for it anymore even now when ever i watch regular dbz, i fast forward.

for now,im trying to watch ocean dub dbz on youtube. im def not use to those voices anymore..