Rumble 20566 Hippo vs. Rocksteady
MATCH SCORE
Hippo: 3
Rocksteady: 2

Match 20549 Archangel vs. Gambit

THE XAVIER INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT PART 2

TEAMS AND SET-UP

image.jpeg.f95ed34c305d65aa01e592b0ca5dc8dd.jpeg

The original X-Men team of Cyclops, Jean Grey, Iceman, Beast, and Archangel gathered together near the fountain in front of the Xavier Institute.

JEAN GREY: It’s been awhile since we’ve teamed, just the five of us.

BEAST: If it is to be a series of one on one encounters, it is more of a grouping then a team.

CYCLOPS: At this stage that is true, but I have a feeling there will be more to it after that. I’m here to win, I hope you all feel the same.

ICEMAN: I just want to know who I’m facing.

The fivesome was then joined by Xavier’s former Hellfire Club spy, the brilliant and calculating Sage.

SAGE: I may be able to help with that, Bobby.

ICEMAN: When did you get here? I don’t remember seeing you during the lineups.

SAGE: I was enlisted, along with a few of the others, by Xavier and Magneto to help put together this thing.

JEAN GREY: Who better to help organize this many mutants.

SAGE: That was their pitch. I was also able to come up with most of the matches between each team. Wanted to make sure that each one had a unique connection. Speaking of which, it is your team’s turn. Follow me.

The group followed Sage to the Danger Room entrance where another team, X-Men Blue, were already waiting. Cyclops smirked at the sight of Wolverine, Gambit, Rogue, Psylocke, and Jubilee.

CYCLOPS: I was hoping this is where we’d start. This one or Storm’s unit. It’s a shame that this isn’t team versus team, it would be a bit of a challenge, but I’d like our odds.

Wolverine unsheathed his claws.

WOLVERINE: I was thinking the same thing.

SAGE: Just a reminder it’s just going to be one member from each team in this fight. All the rest of you will square off with members of other teams.

WOLVERINE: So what’s it going to be, me and Summers? I can go for that.

SAGE: That matchup was considered, but no your opponent is not going to be Scott.

WOLVERINE: Oh no, it’s me and Jean, isn’t it?

SAGE: No, Logan, this grouping isn’t about you.

Psylocke stepped forward.

PSYLOCKE: Then it must be me versus Jean, a battle of telepaths.

SAGE: Also incorrect, Betsy. Neither you nor Jean is competing in this fight.

JUBILEE: That rules out Psylocke versus Archangel in a former lover’s quarrel. Then who is it? There is history here between all of us X-Men  but I can’t think of any other obvious connections.

SAGE: The two fighting in this round will be Archangel and Gambit.

WOLVERINE:  What?  What connection is there between the rich boy and the cajun?

Rogue’s eyes widened with realization, and she was angered.

ROGUE: Ah know what it is, and I already don’t like this if these are the kind of connections we are going for.

JUBILEE: I don’t follow.

JEAN GREY: It’s their shared history as the horseman of death for Apocalypse.

SAGE: That is right. I will say this is one of few pairings that I had nothing to do with. This choice was all Magneto’s.

BEAST: Perhaps Magneto’s thought process was that this indirect reminder of their traumas would bring out the best in them while also confronting their inner demons.

ROGUE: I still don’t like it.

GAMBIT: No need to fret, chere. Gambit remains as cool as a cucumber. Reminders of my troubled past are nothing new.

ARCHANGEL: Agreed. I’m actually looking forward to this one on one.

GAMBIT: No complaints here. Just be mindful with your razor-sharp steel shards, mon ami. Or Gambit may forget he is in a friendly skirmish and respond accordingly.

ARCHANGEL: I’m just going to go for the win, nothing more.

SAGE: Warren Worthington, Remy Lebeau, step forward, your time in the danger room has come.

Archangel and Gambit stepped forward into the Danger Room which immediately transformed into a rocky seaside cliff.

I got Gambit! His powers and abilities are much more versatile and useful then Archangel’s, plus he’s more likely to think on his feet and outsmart Warren then the other way around.

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
4.30 - Pizza Guy
4.00 - patrickthekid
5.00 - Boratz

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
13.30 Total Combined Score
13.30 / 3 = 4.43 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

59 minutes ago, Callisto said:

Match Final Results

MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Not at all surprised.

Looks like another interesting arc you've got going, Johnny. Sorry I missed voting on and ranking a couple of these matches. 

And yeah, I think Remy rightfully won this friendly skirmish. It might've been a different story if this were a battle to the death, though.