Ken Masters: 4

Guardian (Marvel Comics) vs. Captain Britain
MATCH SCORE
Guardian (Marvel Comics): 0
Captain Britain: 4

CBUB Fantasy Draft - Season 8

Fox

41 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

Hey @Fox, not sure if anyone else has this problem, but when I vote on a season draft match and hit next fight I get taken to an error screen. Error code: 2F173/O

One thing I notices, if you go to the bottom of the CBUB Home Page, you will see matches that don’t exist. Like “8:1 - Luke Skywalker (Disney Canon) vs. Jumanji” and “8:1 - Sarlacc vs. Tracer”.

https://www.electricferret.com/cbub/

And if you click on those matches, Error code: 2F173/O will appear.

25 minutes ago, Venom 2009 said:

One thing I notices, if you go to the bottom of the CBUB Home Page, you will see matches that don’t exist. Like “8:1 - Luke Skywalker (Disney Canon) vs. Jumanji” and “8:1 - Sarlacc vs. Tracer”.

https://www.electricferret.com/cbub/

And if you click on those matches, Error code: 2F173/O will appear.

I see.  Yes I had to dump and restart the matches once because of a problem.  Good catch, thanks!

UPDATE: Issue should be resolved now.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

SO, we've had a season which was very heavy in VS Battle Wiki Tiers in which we used very specific versions of characters.

Any feed back on how that went? 

Did we like it? Was it useful to have specific Tier versions of the characters to evaluate?

Let me know.  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Fox said:

SO, we've had a season which was very heavy in VS Battle Wiki Tiers in which we used very specific versions of characters.

Did we like it? Was it useful to have specific Tier versions of the characters to evaluate?

Let me know.  Thanks!

I think we should stick to character archetypes as opposed to specific tiers, especially since I've seen inconsistencies in tiers. Dante, Kratos, Alucard (Castlevania), all do not belong in the tiers proposed by the VS Battles wiki.

1 hour ago, Fox said:

Let me know.  Thanks!

Vs. Battle Wiki, in a way, is kind of like Wikipedia is for info in general. It's a good place to start in looking up character's abilities, but more specific and concise info is often best sought out elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Fox said:

Let me know.  Thanks!

I think maybe it can be worked in in a non-direct way. If every season just had several slots that were just "tier 9, tier 8, tier 7," etc. I would get pretty boring season after season, but it can be used to put a cap on other tiers and make them more balanced. The Anime Swordfighter slot comes to mind as one that could have used a "Tier 7" cap or something

These are all good points as it relates to Vs. Battle Wiki, specifically.

What about character versions though.  e.g. Marvel Comics Gamora vs. MCU Gamora.

This would have implications about how we organize the CBUB Database going forward.  With different versions having different entries.

I'd like to also get thoughts on if Character Versions is useful to us.

17 minutes ago, Fox said:

These are all good points as it relates to Vs. Battle Wiki, specifically.

What about character versions though.  e.g. Marvel Comics Gamora vs. MCU Gamora.

This would have implications about how we organize the CBUB Database going forward.  With different versions having different entries.

I'd like to also get thoughts on if Character Versions is useful to us.

As for how it's gone for the draft, I think it was fun. I enjoyed it but that's mostly because there was so much freedom to make a unique team. Sir Daniel, Spider-Man and Sir Crocodile on the same team? Not likely to see that again.

But I do see the issues that some are having. The tiers are a bit loose but I think they get pretty close and help put a character in the right ballpark. I think DSkillz' analogy about Wikipedia is a good way to put it. And in that sense, we use Wikipedia to add characters so I do think we can use VS. Battle Wiki in a way.

I think the way they organize different versions of characters is good. I could see us using something like that where you click different 'tabs' to see another version of Godzilla/Spider-Man/Wolverine, etc.

Though I don't know how that would look on the character's profile and how the record would be portrayed.

This isn't a specific category, but an idea that I thought would be fun would be to include a bit more info when the terrain is pulled. For example, there could be conditions like "one week of prep," "random encounter," "basic knowledge," and "bloodlusted" to denote some different circumstances to let different characters stand a better chance in the 1-on-1 categories. Both Deathstroke and Batman didn't do very well this season, but if they had been able to pull "prep time" matches, they could have definitely won some fights that they otherwise lost. Similarly, "Bloodlusted" would let characters like Nightcrawler, who are held back by their morals, use their powers to their full extent and win fights that might otherwise be loses. There condition modifiers wouldn't replace the terrain, but would just be additional things to add on to them, although I recognize this might complicate things further.

Just wanted to throw that out there to see what everyone thought. 

• Like 1

I will give my two cents on the season.

I personally tend to prefer the Challenges matches over Tier Matches.  I think a season needs a balance, but this season was heavy on the tiers and I don't feel like it engaged me, personally, as much.

Challenges matches tend to provide more room for snarky responses.

Now, I get that there are going to be folks on the other side who are more engaged by the Tier fights but, that said, not every Tier fight brings in the engagement.  Usually it's like, one, out of each round it seems.

I don't know that the Tier system necessarily resulted in evenly matched fights in most cases.

As for re-organizing the CBUB Database, I do like the way Vs Battle Wiki is laid out with different character versions.  I'm open to looking into something like that if I could find time to spend on it.

All in all, I think the Tier metrics could be useful in setting caps, but it is not the end-all be-all of season fairness one might have hoped for.

Thanks!

Great Season 8 everyone, hope you had fun with it.

Season 9 will be kind of delayed because I need to make some implementation changes to the system.

Could be 2 or 3 weeks.

Thanks!

• Thanks 2

On 4/13/2021 at 4:38 PM, Fox said:

All in all, I think the Tier metrics could be useful in setting caps, but it is not the end-all be-all of season fairness one might have hoped for.

Setting caps would work for me. As an example, a slot for video game character but not higher than Tier 8.