Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

VS #1: Lightsaber vs. Adamantium

treacherous

Lightsaber vs. Adamantium  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Can a Lightsaber cut through adamantium?

• Standard Lightsaber
    • Secondary Adamantium

Welcome to a topic that was really hard to name. In these topics, I will routinely post a question. After the question is posted, you guys will debate it. Easy. The questions will mostly be comparing two or more non-sentient items or places that normally wouldn't make for good CBUB matches.

Ex:

Which weapon slashes and pierces through the hardest objects: Adamantium or a Lightsaber?

Whose body is more durable: Hulk or Superman's?

Can a lightsaber block Darkseid's Omega Beams?

These are all questions that were brought up in a Rumbles Page fight. My hope is that you guys will post some really good references and images that back up your thoughts and not just spew crap that you think. My goal is that these will be used as definitive back up in arguments on the CBUB. these topics will go on indefinitely as a poll will be created to keep track of people's thoughts.

So first question: Can a standard lightsaber cut through Secondary adamantium?

I am not a Marvel fan, however from what I have heard is that there are two if not, multiple different grades and types of adamantium.

I mean from my understanding, there is Secondary Adamantium which is pretty much damn near impervious to most forms of damage and while it is not as durable as Primary Adamantium, it's still staggering in terms of withstanding physical punishment and is by conventional means and definition-- near indestructable. Primary Adamantium is something which is supposedly truly indestructable, and I mean no if ands or buts about it-- and this is coming from the people who talk about the metal- here on this forum and on other sites. Not even something like the full might of Thor's hammer was even so much as to leave a damn dent on a block of it, and it's supposed to have survived going into the center of a sun.

Now, looking at Methos' posts... he claims that a lightsabre can burn or even cut through Adamantium. I would honestly like to believe that, but a thorough explination would be in order and from my understanding, there is also more than one type of lightsabre considering the focusing crystals that are utilized and the different properties which they offer. Some have superior cutting power, and some have unusual properties such as electrical discharge or some even need perfect force attunement to even utilize.

A lot of people here say that Adamantium is the end all, beat all metal but this for a lightsabre to cut through it? Well... I want to see where this goes.

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest sirmethos

No, it can't.

The question doesn't specify a specific kind of Adamantium, nor a certain amount of time within which the lightsaber must have cut through the adamantium, nor a specific amount of adamantium.

It doesn't specify that it has to be a standard(if there is such a thing) lightsaber. As opposed to say, a Shoto lightsaber, where the blade has a higher intensity than that of a regular one.

With the question being as open as it is, the only way to say "no", is to claim that there is no circumstances, nor any amount of time, that would make it possible for a lightsaber(of any kind) to cut through even the smallest amount of even the weakest kind of Adamantium.

Forgot who I was dealing with here. See first post. If one of the three people who voted would like me to change your vote, let me know.

Edit: Okay, I changed it like twice. I think I got what I want now. Gotta be specific with you folks.

Cut through as in one to a few strikes? I doubt it. We all saw how long it took a saber to go through a presumably durasteel blast door in the Phantom Menace.

However, given time and enough effort, I believe it can eventually.

Guest sirmethos

"Can a standard lightsaber cut through Secondary adamantium?"

Depends on the amount of Secondary Adamantium.

If we are talking about a large amount(like a blast door), then it would take a significant amount of time, but yes, it could be done.

With a much smaller amount, say a small cylinder, or a thin thread of Secondary Adamantium, then yes, it could be done within a reasonably small amount of time.

Guest sirmethos

Aye, but the question isn't just "can lightsaber cut adamantium." it is "can lightsaber cut throughadamantium".

And that, depends on the amount, and the available time.

Force voted himself best debater on the Superlatives thread. SirMethos owned him. Ergo, I maintain: Best debater my ass.

Aaaaaaah... Understandable. Flawlessly and reasonably understandable.

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest force_echo

Force voted himself best debater on the Superlatives thread. SirMethos owned him. Ergo, I maintain: Best debater my ass.

First: By definition, it's only a debate if I respond to the post. Second: One debate doesn't determine anything. I summed my entire experience on the site to make that call. Third: It's completely irrelevant to the topic.

Obviously, a lightsaber could cut through a strand of adamantium one micron long or something like that, If you cut anything thin enough you can break it. Usually when people ask this question, they assume an equal volume of plasma and adamantium. Just like when I said "a Sun", you thought "Yellow Sun", when someone makes a thread asking if a lightsaber can cut adamantium, I assume they're talking about an equal volume of plasma and adamantium. In which case, no, it can't.

First: By definition, it's only a debate if I respond to the post. Second: One debate doesn't determine anything. I summed my entire experience on the site to make that call. Third: It's completely irrelevant to the topic.

So you're saying with the second part of your post you didn't respond? Or that in that particular moment you're using the argument that you had yet to plan to respond?

Actually, I'm pretty sure in nearly any debate where you and SirMethos (or for that matter, either of the Danes) have more or less equal knowledge on what's going down, I'm thinking at least 70% of the time it's going to Methos.

And just as well, the post being relevant to your claims as a debater, in a debate, I find to be relevant enough for mention.

• Like 1

Guest Darxeth

Can a lightsaber cut through Secondary Adamantium?

Well, if both materials were in a comic, it would depend on the writer, I suppose. :]

If a jedi or sith fought a swordsman with an adamantium blade, no it would not cut through it. But the sword would become too hot to be touched pretty fast so the swordsman would need a healing factor.

Guest force_echo

So you're saying with the second part of your post you didn't respond? Or that in that particular moment you're using the argument that you had yet to plan to respond?

Actually, I'm pretty sure in nearly any debate where you and SirMethos (or for that matter, either of the Danes) have more or less equal knowledge on what's going down, I'm thinking at least 70% of the time it's going to Methos.

And just as well, the post being relevant to your claims as a debater, in a debate, I find to be relevant enough for mention.

At that particular point in time.

Yeah, well you normally think wrong. In fact, I'd use your claim to the opposite to support my position.

And, again, you "find" wrong. Your post has nothing to do with the topic at hand, namely, if a lightsaber could cut adamantium.

And there is nothing to show that a lightsaber could cut even secondary adamantium of an equal volume.

At that particular point in time.

Yeah, well you normally think wrong. In fact, I'd use your claim to the opposite to support my position.

And, again, you "find" wrong. Your post has nothing to do with the topic at hand, namely, if a lightsaber could cut adamantium.

And there is nothing to show that a lightsaber could cut even secondary adamantium of an equal volume.

In that case, there's nothing to worry about.

I suppose such a thing could be done without major difficulty, heh.

Secondary Adamantium, I think it could cut. I'm having doubts concerning Primary, however. Though, does lightsaber plasma affect things on a molecular level? If so, it may well be able to cut with enough time.