X-23: 5

Zeorymer vs. Crimson Typhoon
MATCH SCORE
Zeorymer: 2
Crimson Typhoon: 4

Match 10941 Alice (Resident Evil) and Selene vs. Critters and Gremlins

Fox

Interesting way to attract the masses.

One question, though: will there eventually be a way for us mods (and those that will eventually be elevated back to admin status) to block troublemaking guests from posting and voting if need be?

Gee, I'm not sure. I imagine there's something in the Mod toolkit for it.

We're just going to play it by ear and see how it goes I guess.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Guest can seriously vote on matches, than that's just something I... don't like the idea of.

-Rakai'Thwei

Actually that's the way the site operated for most of its history. This closed member-only voting thing has actually been an anomaly. I would like to mention again that only Members can affect your FPA with a Rating though.

The FPL will always have closed voting, most likely.

Actually that's the way the site operated for most of its history. This closed member-only voting thing has actually been an anomaly. I would like to mention again that only Members can affect your FPA with a Rating though.

I have only been around on the CBUB since 2006 to 2012... And in the years I have been here, I don't recall the guests ever really voting on matches until they registered.

I suppose my greatest fears is that matches will have votes reaching to the 50s - 100s in numbers now as the CBUB did years ago before the last upgrade. I mean that was just a nightmare to see back then, looking back on it now.

-Rakai'Thwei

I suppose my greatest fears is that matches will have votes reaching to the 50s - 100s in numbers now as the CBUB did years ago before the last upgrade. I mean that was just a nightmare to see back then, looking back on it now.

Well, we just have different goals is all.

As a webmaster and as somebody who hopes to attract more interest and users to the site (Especially the FPL) I would like to see more of that because it suggests interest. Interest in the match, the contender, the scenario. All that kind of thing.

The current status quo with maybe eleven people voting in any match is my greatest fear.

Guest Djgambrell

As a webmaster and as somebody who hopes to attract more interest and users to the site (Especially the FPL) I would like to see more of that because it suggests interest. Interest in the match, the contender, the scenario. All that kind of thing.

The current status quo with maybe eleven people voting in any match is my greatest fear.

Rakai's taking it a bit worse than most because he was in the middle of an arc. He is afraid of poor votes for continuation.

This I can understand.

I have my own goals on the CBUB as well...

Being a chatroom owner of a website I myself own, I can sympathize and also understand this goal. I would understand the attraction of getting new users to the site and hoping to have more members as well. This something I truly do understand. However I cannot help but be reminded of what the CBUB used to be six years ago.

The status quo. Ha ha... I have my own status quo to meet on the CBUB.

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest bigballerju

I like it because people can't use the excuse I don't know anything or know much about character.

Dude, it's BigballerJu.... What do you expect from him?

-Rakai'Thwei

Ouch.

Will these "Guests" be limited to one vote per IP? I think that's the main issue. Possible vote tampering.

Will these "Guests" be limited to one vote per IP? I think that's the main issue. Possible vote tampering.

Yeah, but that doesn't eliminate multi-guest votes... I already could think of several ways to abuse the guest voting. Hypothetically speaking of course.

For one, I could go to a computer store nearby, access the site and vote. I could also go over to a friend's house and vote. I could go vote from work. I could vote from the club house computers in the complex I live in. Each would have different IPs.

Not that I would abuse this new system... :angry:

-Rakai'Thwei

Yes. Although, you could do the exact same thing with accounts. So, it's really not that different. If the IP addresses were only allowed one vote each, it would at least limit the damage.

Yes. Although, you could do the exact same thing with accounts. So, it's really not that different. If the IP addresses were only allowed one vote each, it would at least limit the damage.

That is true to a certain extent, but really who would go through the effort of creating different email accounts to make multi-registered accounts?

With Guest Votes, it's that much easier. I mean let's say, hypothetically, the guest votes allowed for multi-votes to happen. Let's say that I decided to abuse the system, I live right next to a clubhouse which has three computers with internet access and it's own internet service provider. I also happen to live right next to a mall which has an Apple/Mac store that also more than likely has it's own internet service provider and IPs. All I would have to do is literally run to the clubhouse and literally run across the street to the Apple/Mac store.

In my opinion, it's THAT easy.

But again, I wouldn't abuse the new and more open system... that's just dishonorable if I actually did that.

-Rakai'Thwei

Hmm... I have no intention of doing so either. Though, I'm wondering, do you have to give a real email? I don't recall having to activate my account through my email, when I registered.

Gee, I'm not sure. I imagine there's something in the Mod toolkit for it.

Heh, that's right. There are new "Modding" features that I haven't had to use yet. :D

Thanks, serge. You can tell I'm the n00b of the mod team, huh? :P

Guest bigballerju

Actually I was talking about the new format in general of how matches are done. From the forums now you can see the links to wiki and more where as before you just saw the comments on the match. I wasn't talking about Guests voting.

Hmm... The links were always there. They just weren't present, if you viewed them from the Forum. But neither was the set-up. How you'd be able to give an accurate comment in the past, without knowing what was going on in the fight, is beyond me...

Guest RJ_Raccoon

Welll judging that Selene and Alice are known winners and the Gremilns and Critters have had their tuhkesses handed to them a lot I think we know who's gonna win here

Guest bigballerju

Some people went directly to the forums and not the actually match I think. Thats why we would have people saying they didn't vote or making it obvious they didn't read the setup.

As far as Guests are concerned them being allowed to vote hopefully encourages more people to join the site. I liked the previous CBUB where we had alot more people voting and partcipating in commenting on matches.

Some people went directly to the forums and not the actually match I think. Thats why we would have people saying they didn't vote or making it obvious they didn't read the setup.

Heh. True. I recall having to tell people it wasn't a fight on occasion. It is convenient, that's for sure. Not sure how I feel about the "Guests," but activity should increase from it. We've had some "Guest" posts already.

Ok. Good news is, you can only vote once as a "Guest." The bad news, if you create an account, you can evidently vote twice on each match.

Guest bigballerju

Oh yea thats actually true Rob.Thats interesting and maybe you should not have pointed that out..... :P

I like the new format! Now we can see the set-up and the replies at the same time!

Great Job, Serge!