Rumble 20564 Abigail vs. The Ghoul (Cooper Howard) vs. Suprema
MATCH SCORE
Abigail (2023 film): 1
The Ghoul (Cooper Howard): 0
Suprema: 5

READ ME FIRST: General Acceptance FAQ

Guest chakos

Guest chakos

Please remember that reviews on this site are done on a case by case basis; we have multiple people who review characters. As such, there are few hard and fast rules about what is and isn't acceptable. The reviewer has discretion. However, this is serge's website and he has given us both general and specific guidelines for accepting characters. I've compiled some here for you.

Characters:

Mostly, we deal with fictional characters.

• No real people / bands etc, unless they have pop culture significance.
  • No politicians. Ever.
  • No actual religious figures like Jesus, etc.
  • Professional Wrestlers are fighting characters that go in the Pop Culture section.
  • Steve Irwin is a real person.  Mr. T is a real person. Both have pop culture significance and physical prowess.  They might be acceptable.
  • Hitler is a real person and of no interest to us because we don't do contests comparing Mass Murderers.  Likewise, Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy and other murderers are of no interest. We do not want them.
  • Julius Ceasar, Romel the Desert Fox and Napolean *might* be of interest to us because of their supposed historical tactical genius.

Again... Mostly, we deal with fictional characters.

In the case of Duos please don't add them!

In the case of full on teams (e.g The Avengers) please continue to add them.

Please don't put parenthetical 'notes' for a character in the name when you submit them!

To quote Sir Exal: "For crying out loud people, we know Trevalyn is from Bond and Near is from DeathNote. Don't bother putting in the parentheses for the place. If people don't know, they can look at the sources."

Parenthesis should only be used for characters in the DB with the same names. Ie, Angel is already in the DB from Buffy. Someone submitted the Marvel mutant X-man as Angel (Marvel). That is acceptable and the only use for parenthesis.

Trevalyn (James Bond 006), for example, is unnecessary. As is something like Optimus Prime (Transformers).

Please watch out for that. We'll likely be editing characters in the DB with unnecessary parenthesis when the admin tools for that come online.

And as always, please remember that all the administrators who work on the CBUB do it on their own time. It can take a few days to get a character or graphic reviewed by an admin, especially when there are a lot of characters to go through.

The general rule is to wait a week (7 days) before you ask "what happened to my submission?!"

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TrixRabbi

A few questions and comments.

1. Would say, Neil Patrick Harris (Insane Harold and Kumar version) or Stephen Colbert (Who is a character played by the actual Stephen Colbert) be acceptable submissions?

2. I see Bulbasaur was recently added. We don't need every Pokemon, I'd say only major ones should be individual.

3. Try and put some effort into your pictures people. It takes like 2 minutes to find a quality picture and properly format it in paint!

2. I see Black Panther was recently added. We don't need every Avenger, I'd say only major ones should be individual.

See what I'm getting at here? I doubt we're gonna have people submitting, say, Doduo or Starmie or some other fairly obscure Pokemon, but to some people those minor members of super teams are just as "head-scratching" and obscure as one of the less popular Pokemon or something along those lines. Yeah, common sense does come into play, but setting any sort of definate line will be arbitrary in one way or another.

And, yes, I realize the analogy isn't perfect, but y'all get my point.

A few questions and comments.

1. Would say, Neil Patrick Harris (Insane Harold and Kumar version) or Stephen Colbert (Who is a character played by the actual Stephen Colbert) be acceptable submissions?

2. I see Bulbasaur was recently added. We don't need every Pokemon, I'd say only major ones should be individual.

3. Try and put some effort into your pictures people. It takes like 2 minutes to find a quality picture and properly format it in paint!

I did. And Bulbasaur is a major Pokemon. One of the most well-known. He even has his own Wiki page, unlike Charmander or Squirtle.

Neil Patrick Harris (Insane Harold and Kumar version) and Stephen Colbert were summed up in the first sentence of serge's qoute. No real people, unless they have pop culture significance. I'm sorry, but a Neil Patrick Harris match isn't going to liven up the place.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Okay out of sheer curiosity, we have someone who has been submitting in the Yakuza, Russian Mafia, Irish Mob, and the Chinese Triad... Now we all know these are real groups of people who do pretty mean and nasty violent things to other people but they are also a part of popular culture.

The question is, should I allow these submissions?

Also, what about groups like the IRA (Irish Republican Army) SWAT, GSG9, Spetsnaz, Green Berets, Taliban, Vietcong, Medellin Cartel, Navy Seals, Israeli Commandos, and CIA?

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest Mr. Graves

Working from the original "No *uncreative*" rule, I would say that any person or group who is responsible for large numbers of murders of actual real people should be excluded, regardless of pop culture status (*uncreative* appears in a number of comics and other media and is still excluded, so citing examples for a particular submission doesn't excuse it from exclusion). I'd prefer never to put anyone in a position where they would have to consider whether or not the people that killed one of their close friends or family members could beat Spiderman.

Guest ViceCityMobster86
Working from the original "No *uncreative*" rule, I would say that any person or group who is responsible for large numbers of deaths of actual real people should be excluded, regardless of pop culture status (*uncreative* appears in a number of comics and other media and is still excluded, so citing examples for a particular submission doesn't excuse it from exclusion). I'd prefer never to put anyone in a position where they would have to consider whether or not the people that killed one of their close friends or family members could beat Spiderman.

Then wouldn't the same people be complaining about Deadliest Warrior? I was planning on doing some Deadliest Warrior style matches with them and I am NOT content on using the Rumble forum, I mean its ok, but not as good as posting a match on CBUB.

Working from the original "No *uncreative*" rule, I would say that any person or group who is responsible for large numbers of murders of actual real people should be excluded, regardless of pop culture status (*uncreative* appears in a number of comics and other media and is still excluded, so citing examples for a particular submission doesn't excuse it from exclusion). I'd prefer never to put anyone in a position where they would have to consider whether or not the people that killed one of their close friends or family members could beat Spiderman.

So that would be No to the following:

Yakuza

Triad

Russian Mafia

Irish Mob

Vietcong

Irish Republican Army

Medellin

Taliban

But that still doesn't cover the "Good guys" like:

Green Berets

Spetsnaz

Navy Seals

GSG9

SWAT Team

Unless of course they are also covered under the "No *uncreative*" rule.

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest ViceCityMobster86

There are people from real life already in the database, a lot of them, not allowing in my submissions would be an incredible show of hypocrisy. The chances of "offending" someone is very small. Besides, I am against this type of "political correctness" its pointless. Are all of you THAT worried about bad PR? The chances of it happening are almost insignificant. I understand not allowing someone like *uncreative*, but hell Vlad The Impaler is in the database also. Does anyone have a problem with him being included? I have not seen anyone complain. I doubt anyone will complain about any of my submissions.

Guest Mr. Graves
So that would be No to the following:

Yakuza

Triad

Russian Mafia

Irish Mob

Vietcong

Irish Republican Army

Medellin

Taliban

But that still doesn't cover the "Good guys" like:

Green Berets

Spetsnaz

Navy Seals

GSG9

SWAT Team

Unless of course they are also covered under the "No *uncreative*" rule.

-Rakai'Thwei

Hmm, yeah, I dunno. This is all kind of murky territory, and this is just my opinion in particular. I understand that maybe some people want to use these kinds of groups in matches, and who knows, maybe they can come up with some really interesting ideas. But, this is the Comic Book Universe Battles, not the Real Life People Battles. The idea is mostly to deal with fictional characters. If you're really not sure about a particular entry, maybe we can establish a time per week that CBUB review admins can get together and discuss questionable entries and cast a vote, or some similar process, I don't know. I would say any submission that is based on real life should be very carefully considered, especially in a violently controversial context.

I understand not allowing someone like *uncreative*, but hell Vlad The Impaler is in the database also. Does anyone have a problem with him being included?

Vlad the Impaler is actually considered a historical hero in Romania, despite his brutal methods in slaying the Turkish occupation in his homeland.

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest ViceCityMobster86
Vlad the Impaler is actually considered a historical hero in Romania, despite his brutal methods in slaying the Turkish occupation in his homeland.

-Rakai'Thwei

I am aware of that, I was just making a point, I think having Vlad in the database is a good idea. I just don't see the problem with adding my submissions. Not to mention they could cover both the real life AND movie versions of there respective gangs. Did anyone even consider that?

Guest Mr. Graves
There are people from real life already in the database, a lot of them, not allowing in my submissions would be an incredible show of hypocrisy. The chances of "offending" someone is very small. Besides, I am against this type of "political correctness" its pointless. Are all of you THAT worried about bad PR? The chances of it happening are almost insignificant. I understand not allowing someone like *uncreative*, but hell Vlad The Impaler is in the database also. Does anyone have a problem with him being included? I have not seen anyone complain. I doubt anyone will complain about any of my submissions.

As I said, maybe there needs to be some retroactive deletion from the Pop Culture category. To be honest, I don't really get what significance AC/DC has that it needs to be included as opposed to, say, any other band currently out there. I'm sure there's probably several others that maybe don't need to be there as well.

I don't like your insinuation of hypocrisy though. There are have been numerous people contributing their time and effort to try to help run this site; just because one happens to not let you have your way (which, should be pointed out, you are in no way entitled to have) does not mean you get to start leveling insults at the admins. If you don't like how things are done here, you're free to disagree and request a change. If you still don't like it, you're free to leave.

That said, I think it would be a good idea to have all the current CBUB review team get together (maybe in IRC?) and have a chat about acceptance guidelines concerning this sort of thing so we're all on the same page.

Guest ViceCityMobster86
As I said, maybe there needs to be some retroactive deletion from the Pop Culture category. To be honest, I don't really get what significance AC/DC has that it needs to be included as opposed to, say, any other band currently out there. I'm sure there's probably several others that maybe don't need to be there as well.

I don't like your insinuation of hypocrisy though. There are have been numerous people contributing their time and effort to try to help run this site; just because one happens to not let you have your way (which, should be pointed out, you are in no way entitled to have) does not mean you get to start leveling insults at the admins. If you don't like how things are done here, you're free to disagree and request a change. If you still don't like it, you're free to leave.

That said, I think it would be a good idea to have all the current CBUB review team get together (maybe in IRC?) and have a chat about acceptance guidelines concerning this sort of thing so we're all on the same page.

I had not intention of insulting you guys, I am just being honest.

Guest Mr. Graves
I had not intention of insulting you guys, I am just being honest.

You can have no intention of doing something and still do it, just like you can be honest and still be wrong.

The rules aren't up for debate. Fictional characters only. How hard is that to understand? If you want to use The Corleone family, or The Sopranos, fine, there are links for those, they have a basis in fiction. "The Mafia" is such a loose, generic description that has so many interpretations both real and imagined, it's honestly stupid to consider putting that in the database. It's like trying to add "The US Government" to the database. It wouldn't work. Something like "The Bartlett Administration" from The West Wing might be acceptable, if you found links for it and could support your case.

Bump. There seems to be a ton of new characters popping up now. If you are adding, please be sure that you are looking here every now and then as not to slow down the process and to keep up with any new updates...such as the below. Please take Rakai's policies below and the one's above as gospel. Thanks.

1) I would think that large teams like the X-Men, Avengers, and what not are fine. Duos teams are no longer necessary now that we have the two on two function available for users to actually make whatever duo team of their dreams instead of going with established duo teams. Teams like for example: X-men, Avengers, Colonial Marines, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, and even fictional families are allowed as a team unit as this also allows individuals of said teams to also be admitted to CBUB to compete on one on one fights.

2) Generic Template Characters need to have some sort of popular culture significance. Characters like Angry Mob, Dog with Arthritis, Raccoon with Rabies, Drunken Sister will not be allowed as they have no real popular cultural significance. Generic characters like Fanboys, Fangirls, Internet Trolls, Paparazzi, are allowed as long as they have popular cultural significance. In other words, unless these generic groups have pop-culture significance, don't expect them to be added to CBUB. Also real life gang organizations shouldn't be allowed as we don't want Nazis, Taliban, IRA, Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings running around.

3) Factually historical creatures? CBUB is not a Zoo. So animals really don't have a place here unless they are mythological or cryptozoological animals such as the Kitsune, Kappa, Nessie, Bigfoot, Mothman, etc.

-Rakai'Thwei

Someone tried to sneak in Adolf *uncreative* as Hate-Monger.

Granted, Hate-Monger is a Marvel character, his alter ego is infact Adolf *uncreative* and according to CBUB Character policy, regardless if Adolf *uncreative* does have pop cultural significance in numerous incarnations such as Disney *uncreative*, Looney Tunes *uncreative*, Marvel's Hate-Monger, *uncreative* is NOT allowed on CBUB's character rosters.

End of.

-Rakai'Thwei

I wasn't aware the word uncreative could be used so, creatively?

It's a censor feature. You can say his first name but the last name seems to be programmed on a censored list.

-Rakai'Thwei