MATCH SCORE
Emperor Zurg: 3
The Xenomorph Queen: 2

Match 18066 Momiji vs. Zasalamel

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART 185

transformation.jpg.5a91c93b45320a4012735b466daf4878.jpg

Ryu Hayabusa, Yoshimitsu, and Yoshimitsu’s protege pressed their way through the never ending maze when the protege, current holder of the much sought after Soul Edge in his mechanical arm, slowly came to a stop and leaned against a nearby tree.

“Are you okay?” asked Yoshimitsu.

“Feel a little dazed, just need a breather,” his protege responded.

“It has been awhile since we stopped moving,” noted Ryu.

The three agreed to take a small break. Within a minute of their stoppage the trio was joined by Ryu Hayabusa’s own protege, Momiji. The Dragon Shrine Maiden descended from the treetops and bowed respectfully toward Ryu Hayabusa.

“What news do you bring?” he inquired.

“News both good and troubling,” Momiji answered. “The fortune teller, Viola, used her abilities to reach out into the world and locate more members of the Soul Calibur alliance. Whilst doing so she located Rachel.” (REF: HONOKA VS. IBUKI)

“Rachel? That is a great boost for our forces,” Ryu opined.

“I thought so too, but unfortunately I was foolish in my enthusiasm and had Viola reveal to Rachel our location without properly canvassing the area,” Momiji reported.

“Who else was there?”

“A man named Zasalamel. Viola informed me that he is an immortal warrior from long before the defeat of Soul Edge and he has pursued the wicked sword for his own selfish purposes for centuries. She said he has been a constant thorn in the side of those who wish to keep Soul Edge dormant,” Momiji explained. (REF: ALEX VS. ZASALAMEL)

Yoshimitsu piped in. “That would be an accurate statement.” (REF: ZASALAMEL VS. DEE JAY)

“Are you certain that he also acquired the knowledge of Soul Edge’s location?” Hayabusa inquired.

“I am only certain that he knows that Rachel knows. How he tries to pry that information from her I can’t say. Viola lost her connection to the other medium as soon as she spotted him.”

“My assumption would be that he attacked her at that moment to force her to tell him,” Ryu guessed.

Yoshimitsu wasn’t so sure. “Maybe, maybe not. If this Rachel woman has set this place as her destination, he could simply follow her here. Zasalamel is a patient and calculated man. (REF: ZASALAMEL VS. SAGAT) If she is ignorant of his existence, she would have no way of stopping him from doing so.”

Ryu Hayabusa thought over this possibility.

“He will never reach this place, I will see to it,” Momiji declared. “I have created this mess, and I will clean it up.”

“I appreciate your devotion to taking responsibility, but do you understand what you are dedicating yourself to, young lady?” Yoshimitsu asked.

“After it happened, I picked Viola’s brain about him. I know he uses a scythe as a weapon. I know his most dangerous ability is his ability to momentarily stop time. Viola told me it is extremely brief and he can only do it sparingly as it requires a huge amount of energy,” Momiji recounted. “He activates this ability with a purple aura from his hands. I know what to look for and I will be ready for it. I will cut his hands clear from his wrists with my naginata if I need to.”

“Zasalamel is much more than one single ability,” warned Yoshimitsu. “He is big, he is strong, he is very crafty. He is also extremely vicious. He has shredded many warriors to pieces with his scythe.”

“I have slain countless demons and monsters,” Momiji proclaimed proudly. “I fear no immortal scythe swinging man.”

Yoshimitsu looked over to Ryu Hayabusa. “She is your apprentice, correct? The one that defeated Seong Mi-Na (REF: SEONG MI-NA VS. MOMIJI) and then rescued Viola, Z.W.E.I. and Talim (REF: MOMIJI VS. VEGA) from multiple threats?" (REF: MOMIJI VS. JURI HAN)

Ryu nodded.

“Then let me add some praise to my warning,” stated Yoshimitsu. “If there is anyone around who can stop him, it would be you, my lady.”

Momiji nodded respectfully. “Thank you.”

Ryu addressed Momiji directly. “Be careful.”

“Yes, Master Ryu. I will rejoin you once the mission is complete,” Momiji promised.

The Dragon Shrine Maiden then jumped upward and disappeared from sight.

Yoshimitsu turned back to his own apprentice. “Are you ready to resume?”

The Yoshimitsu in training shouted in agony and grabbed his non mechanical arm.

“Oh no, it cannot be,” said Yoshimitsu.

“What is happening?” inquired Ryu.

The protege hunched over on the ground as the three fingered oversized claw of the Azure Knight, Nightmare, began to form around his right arm.

“It is too late, we cannot hesitate,” declared Yoshimitsu.

The leader of the Manji Clan lifted his sword to strike down his transforming friend, but the protege quickly grabbed Soul Edge off the ground and blocked his attack.

A dark, gravely and familiar voice emerged from the protege as he lifted his head. “You fools. Blood, darkness, I will cover the world in both!”

He stood up, wielding the cursed sword proudly, his eyes yellow, his skin gray, white markings covered his body, and a mystical flame started to form around him.

“You have failed!” he taunted.

Just then, a blade pierced him in the back and through his chest. The blade was pulled from his body and the protege fell dead to the ground. The small spurts of mystical flame returned quickly to the sword. Standing where he once stood with her sword pointed outward was Sophitia Alexandra. And next to her was Seong Mi-Na.

“It looks like we got here just in time,” noted Seong Mi-Na. (REF: ANGEL VS. ZANGIEF)

“Was that the Nightmare you had told me about?” Ryu asked Yoshimitsu. “She took him out rather quickly.”

Sophitia interjected. “My Omega Sword was blessed by the gods and we were fortunate that the Azure Knight had not yet fully transformed.” Sophitia pointed to Soul Edge which was now glowing and the eye attached to it was moving. “However, our problems have only just begun.”

“It is searching for a proper host,” Yoshimitsu stated solemnly.

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

momijirachel.jpg.a7feececd525f7f6f3278778ed8da0ff.jpg

Utilizing the images implanted in her head by Viola via Zafina as a map, Rachel journeyed toward the never ending maze to reunite with Ryu and get her hands on Soul Edge. Although she was confident in her direction, there was some hesitation in her movements.

“You should pick up the pace,” taunted the demon that was possessing her. “Our mutual goal is almost in our grasp.”

“My goal is almost in my grasp. Your goal means nothing to me and once you are given your own corporeal body, I will slay you foul demon,” Rachel threatened.

“We shall see.”

“Still, I can’t stop thinking about that name,” Rachel admitted.

“What name?”

“Zasalamel. There was fear in the seer’s voice when she uttered it. And the ancient warrior was equally wary of him,” Rachel recalled.

“So?”

“I don’t like walking into situations when I don’t know all the players,” stated Rachel.

“Zasalamel, whoever he is, if he tries to get in our way we will destroy him as we have, or should I say as you have (REF: CHUN-LI VS. RACHEL), everyone else that has stood in our path,” the demon declared. (REF: RACHEL VS. ZAFINA)

A familiar, but unexpected face jumped down in front of the fiend hunter.

“Momiji!” Rachel exclaimed.

“It is wonderful to see you again, Rachel,” Momiji responded.

“What are you doing here? According to the visions I have seen, there is still a little ways to go before I reach the maze.”

“That’s right Viola described to me all the visions she gave to you so I was able to figure out your route,” explained Momiji. “I was just so anxious to see you to make sure you were okay. I didn’t get to physically see you when Viola made contact. I wanted to discover if you had been hurt.”

Rachel smiled. “Your concern is appreciated, but I am fine and ready to fight.”

“What happened to you before?” asked Momiji. “When Kasumi sought you out at that castle?”

“I stepped into a bad situation with my fiend hunting partner,” Rachel answered. (REF: RACHEL VS. SHURA) “Afterward I had to get my head right. My mind is clear now. I can explain more once we rejoin Ryu.”

Rachel had continued walking, but quickly noticed Momiji was not. “Momiji?”

“I must admit your safety and relative well-being wasn’t my only reason for coming out here. There is something I must do to get my head right and clear my mind,” Momiji announced. “But fear not, as soon as it is done, I will be back with you and Master Ryu.”

Rachel was confused by this. However, she respected her friend’s wishes and continued on toward the never ending maze. As soon as Rachel was a safe distance away, Momiji stared into the sky.

“Zasalamel! Zasalamel! I know you are listening! Come and fight me if you want to get to Soul Edge!”

There was no response.

Momiji continued. “If you try to keep following Rachel, know this, you aren’t the only one who can travel in the shadows. Wherever you go, I will be there waiting.”

A portal opened up and Zasalamel stepped through.

“I don’t believe I have ever been called out in such a way,” he observed. “You knew I was watching and following your friend, yet you said nothing to her.”

“I don’t want Rachel to feel responsible for bringing you this close to Soul Edge. The burden of that responsibility is mine alone.”

A smile appeared on Zasalamel’s face. “You are right, it is close. I can feel it in my bones.”

“You will get no closer!” Momiji promised.

2 hours ago, SSJRuss said:

Zasalamel, given what I've seen of gameplay, is probably the better fighter and has the stronger stats/feats. I like his style and would give him my vote here

Not to say that Zasalamel couldn't or shouldn't win because he is a menace, but Momiji is a killer with some impressive feats of her own in the Ninja Gaiden series.

Going with Momiji here!

Despite her being a shrine maiden for the Hayabusa clan, she's an exceptionally powerful one who also has the Eye of the Dragon megatama to further amplify her own powers as seen in Ninja Gaiden 3. So that makes her pretty dangerous, along side the fact that she was PERSONALLY trained by Ryu Hayabusa and she's already acquired a modicum of experience in dealing with supernatural enemies as seen in Ninja Gaiden 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3. So I'm going with my girl Momiji.

I only ever played the original Ninja Gaiden from the original Nintindo. I'm so out of the loop of this world. Never even heard of Momiji or Rachel or that bad guy that keeps showing up in my database surfing. I really don't want to vote against Zasalamel. That video was impressive....

On 3/6/2022 at 1:29 PM, JohnnyChany said:

Not to say that Zasalamel couldn't or shouldn't win because he is a menace, but Momiji is a killer with some impressive feats of her own in the Ninja Gaiden series.

Cool vid. I was leaning towards Momiji anyways, I think she’s got the feats and skills to take Zasalamel down.

Another good set-up, Johnny. 

On 3/6/2022 at 7:00 PM, leroypowell3 said:

I only ever played the original Ninja Gaiden from the original Nintindo. I'm so out of the loop of this world. 

I'm more or less in the same boat, man. I'm still trying to beat NES's Ninja Gaiden II and play NES's Ninja Gaiden III. I've been researching some of the characters from the reboot, though, so I think it's good to see the arc getting back to their part in the story. 

As for the match? I'm not sure here. Zasalamel should have an experience edge, but Momiji seems to have the skill and power to at least give him a tough fight.

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - patrickthekid
4.00 - SSJRuss
4.70 - DSkillz

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
13.70 Total Combined Score
13.70 / 3 = 4.57 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Momiji: 4
Zasalamel: 2