Season Wins: 2
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Ryu at this Wiki
Official Site: Capcom

Battle Terrain
Battle Terrain: Frozen Lake

Oooh! Marvel vs Capcom action here!

I am gonna go with Ryu here, especially if the MvC games can be applied here. Even if they aren't, Ryu can definitely match Spider-Man especially the Andrew Garfield version.

Gotta go with Ryu.

30 minutes ago, Mercenaryblade said:

872FBF01E272C0FB312A7100AAC95B45B5229E6E

Pretty much.

But if we count the MvC games... Street Fighter to Street Fighter Alpha Ryu has come across Spider-Man before.

But that's only IF we count the MvC games.

When I get on my desktop, I'll say my piece regarding Ryu.

So I said I would be on my desktop as to why I would think that Ryu would be able to prevail over Andrew Garfield's version of Spider-Man. Well, I suppose I can provide my reasons as to why though with Spider-Man: No Way Home being in theatres and becoming what might be the most popular MCU flick ever, surpassing even Avengers: Endgame, I'm probably going to be fighting an impossibly tall tidal wave here. So... I suppose I should get started.

I'm going to be accounting for Ryu from the range between Street Fighter to Street Fighter Alpha 3, or if you're in Japan-- the Street Fighter Zero series. We have to remember that the Alpha/Zero series takes place DIRECTLY and IMMEDIATELY right after the events of Street Fighter. Ryu is still likely very much in that power range of what the Versus Battle Wiki dictates as far as the continuity between Street Fighter to Alpha 3 is concerned.

And if No Way Home is any indication, the Andrew Garfield version of the character is perhaps eight years in his tenure as Spider-Man but has only fought The Lizard, Electro, and Green Goblin. There doesn't seem to be any indication that there's much encounters with superhuman foes outside of those aforementioned few, though he has said that "Magic's real here too?" but that's likely a throwaway line. We do know that this Garfield Spider-Man did say at some point he stopped pulling punches-- but this likely is against normal people. Ryu, even in the context of Street Fighter to Alpha 3, is anything BUT a normal human being as his training in the Ansatsuken arts with Master Gouken and Ken Masters has pushed him to superhuman levels.

But how superhuman is Ryu around this era in his life time?

For starters... Let's look at strength.

Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man is definitely in the superhuman range. I would probably say somewhere in the ten to sixteen ton range considering the level of feats which he has done in TASM and TASM2, especially when he had managed to catch a car which was flung at him by Electro. This probably makes him comparable to baseline 616 Peter Parker. So how strong is Ryu in comparison to TASM Spider-Man?

In the latest canonical timeline of Street Fighter, Ryu has been shown to lift a massive boulder overheard and struggling while an old hermit, Oro, is sitting on top of it.

Now, SOMEONE did the math...

• Ryu = 26 + 36 + 36 + 18.35 = 116.35 px = 175 cm
  • Axis X and Z = 301 px = 452.7 cm
  • Axis Y = 140 px = 210.56 cm
  • Cone base = 103 px = 154.91 cm ==> r1 = 77.455 cm
  • Cone top = 49 px = 73.7 cm ==> r2 = 36.85
  • Cone height = 29 px = 43.61 cm
  • Volume (truncated cone) = pi/3*(77.455^2 + 36.85^2 + 77.455*36.85) = 466391.337 cc
  • Volume (ellipsoid) = pi/6*(452.7)^2*210.56 = 22594122.717 cc
  • Total volumen = 466391.337 + 22594122.717 = 23060514.054 cc
  • Mass (sandstone
  • ) = 23060514.054*2.1/1000000 = 48.427 tons (Class 50+). Practically baseline Class 100

By the latest canonical timeline of Third Strike... Ryu is shown to be lifting 48 tons.

Source: https://www.quora.com/How-strong-is-Ryu-from-Street-Fighter

I would say that as far as lifting strength is concerned, Ryu is perhaps stronger than Spider-Man. But I know what people are going to say-- this isn't Third Strike Ryu, we're talking about Street Fighter to Alpha 3 Ryu. Well, even in the events of Street Fighter One to Street Fighter Alpha 3, we know that Ryu has been trained in the Ansatsuken arts and if we look at the Assassin's Fist live action adaptation of Ryu's training, we know that Gouken has taught Ryu and Ken to imbue their bodies with Ki to better strength their blows and their bodies to withstand said blows. We've seen Ryu and Ken perform amazing striking feats in the various media depicting their exploits, but the most impressive we've seen is Ryu's battle with Akuma in Street Fighter Alpha 2.

We know that Akuma more or less was holding back in his battle with Ryu, but even when Akuma holds back he is still extremely powerful and the fact that Ryu was able to fight against someone who could sink Gokouento Island with a single punch is a testament to Ryu's own strength and perhaps even his own durability even in the era of Street Fighter One to Street Fighter Alpha 3. But then if you account for Masahiko Nakahira's canonical Street Fighter Alpha manga (It's canonical in that this is where Evil Ryu and Karin Kanzuki came from and were imported into the games) Ryu has INSANE levels of durability.

p3Ty1Iq.jpgSfFw0sw.jpg

UqgtCkH.jpg0PGlS3o.jpg

This is the Street Fighter Alpha manga, which is set DIRECTLY right after the events of Street Fighter. Here, we see Ryu taking on M.Bison and from what I can tell as I have the English version of the manga in a storage box, so I am recollecting from memory here-- Bison executes a Psycho Crusher onto Ryu, and Ryu is STRUGGLING to hold him back as he's being plowed through a building and into a truck. Keep in mind this is Ryu A FEW DAYS AFTER HE BEAT SAGAT from Street Fighter.

Now, I know the biggest obstacles which Ryu has to face is Spider-Man's Spider-Sense and his speed. Admittedly, I will say that this is an obstacle for him to overcome, but I would think that Ryu is somewhere fast enough to tag maybe even outright hit Spider-Man a few times, and hit him hard enough to make Peter feel some pain. Ryu is fast enough to dodge bullets fired from a gun at close range, as evidenced here.

Of course, this comes from the anime adaptation and spin-off of the Street Fighter storyline, but it's generally consistent through out many Street Fighter mediums that Ryu is fast enough to dodge bullets from gun fire-- sometimes even at point blank and was fast enough to close the gap between himself and whatever gunmen he is facing and take them out with no difficulty. As far as attack speed goes, I would say that Ryu is pretty fast outside of the games though Ken is said to be faster than him. However, one of his attacks-- specifically the Hurricane Kick is sometimes depicted as moving at high speeds. Here's one instance from the Street Fighter Alpha manga.

Come to think of it, this is like the Shinkuu Tatsumaki he's performing here.

vSnMs25.jpgvs3moOc.jpg

Ryu is spinning so fast that he's actually creating winds which go up the tower and is repeatedly smashing and hitting M. Bison into it. This is probably Ryu executing his fastest attack during the Street Fighter to Alpha 3 era.

And then there's the issue of Spider-Man's webs... Well, I raise you the Hadouken. It is confirmed that between Ryu and Ken, Ryu's Hadouken is the most developed between the two and in the Street Fighter to Alpha 3 era, this is even proven as Ryu focused on the Hadou principal, where Ken focused more on the Shoryu principal. And in multiple adaptations of the Street Fighter storyline-- Ryu's Hadoukens are shown to make buildings explode. They are THAT developed. He's developed his technique to the point where recovery time from just firing them is actually minimalized and he can do so in rapid succession.

oI0V809.jpg

And that's just an ordinary Hadouken, by the time Street Fighter transitions to Alpha, Ryu's already begun to develop the Shakunetsu Hadouken-- a Hadou which is imbued with the power of flames. However, Ryu has developed his Shakunetsu Hadou to burn his opponents upon contact without lethally burning them like Akuma's own Shakunetsu Gou-Hadou, as Akuma's version is likely infused with the Satsui No Hadou. So I can see Ryu dealing with the webs that particular way.

As for overall experience... well,  it would come down to quantity versus quality.

Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man seemingly has taken on the Lizard, the Rhino, Electro, and Green Goblin, and just recently... Doctor Octopus and Green Goblin from the Raimiverse, who have their own power sets and levels. That's good quality for Garfield Spider-Man to have... However, even Street Fighter to Alpha 3 Ryu has similarity quality opponents whom he's gone up against ranging from Ken Masters, Sagat, Rose, Guy, Akuma, Violent Ken, and of course Bison himself to name just a few of the opponents whom Ryu has fought in that span of time. I would say that Ryu had quality similar to Garfield Spider-Man, but has the quantity to face more of those opponents as he has traveled the world to fight fighters who are on the superhuman level.

This is why I think Ryu would win.