Slot: The Team's Disney Princess
Season Wins: 1
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Pocahontas at this Wiki
Official Site: Disney

Battle Terrain
Princess Challenge: Public Service Announcement

So, not a great pull for Tiana. Pocahontas' shtick is all about being in tune with nature and whatnot, so she could do very well here. I would add, though, that Pocahontas' core conflict isn't really about man vs nature; it's a classic man vs man cultural clash. The "Savages" songs paints a bizarre whataboutism between the settlers and the natives, and the conflict is resolved between the two groups of people, not the settlers and nature. So while Pocahontas does have "Paint with all the colors of the Wind," that song isn't really what the core conflict of the movie is about. In that regard, Tiana's story is just as much about learning to be in tune with nature as Pocahontas is.

I think Tiana has a few tricks up her sleeves in this challenge. For one, of the two princesses, she's the only one who literally was an animal. While being in touch with nature wasn't as much of a theme in Princess and the Frog, appreciating the life of the swamp and seeing the beauty of it was definitely a defining character moment for her. Also, Tiana would make the best spokeswoman against scientific experiments on animals. She could do a PSA about why dissect frogs is wrong, for example. Both of the princesses can make general PSAs about nature and animals, as both as closely linked to their respective environments, but Tiana has options that Pocahontas doesn't. 

Both of these characters have been used in Public Service Announcements.

tiana_pet.jpg

It's really a toss-up.

Perhaps Pocahontas would be a better spokesperson for wild life issues while Tiana would be stronger with community issues like domestic pets. 

25 minutes ago, Fox said:

Both of these characters have been used in Public Service Announcements.

tiana_pet.jpg

It's really a toss-up.

Perhaps Pocahontas would be a better spokesperson for wild life issues while Tiana would be stronger with community issues like domestic pets. 

I would also throw out that Pocahontas, while a beloved princess in her own right, is also rife with controversy, often specifically about the aspects of her character that would make her a good spokeswoman for this. Even into modern day, several big publications are making think pieces about aspects of native American representation by Disney, specifically centered around Pocahontas. Whether or not any individual person agrees or disagrees isn't really relevant to the topic at hand, but what is important is that Pocahontas has that controversial mist around her, whereas Tiana is relatively free of that. 

I do think an argument could be made for Tiana. Having lived a little bit inside the body of a frog and being out in the swamps for a little time. I also remember there was a crocodile that befriended her and helped her with her restaurant at the end. I think she may have some personal inside knowledge of animal, wildlife and nature that would be a sympathetic route for a psa.