Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

11:2 - Phil (Disney) vs. Master Splinter (TMNT)

UMPIRE

SEASON 11, ROUND 2

Phil (Disney)

Slot: The Team's Coach
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Phil (Disney) at this Wiki
Official Site: Disney

Master Splinter (TMNT)

Slot: The Team's Coach
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Master Splinter (TMNT) at this Wiki
Official Site: Mirage Studios

Battle Terrain
Coach Challenge: Down to the last play!

Master Splinter in my opinion has my vote. Having trained the Turtles and developing something of a close bond with them, and then later teaching April to become a ninja in both the 2003 and the 2012 iterations of TMNT, I would think that he has plenty of insight to see where his students would need to improve and how they can overcome whatever obstacle is in their path. He's wise enough and insightful enough to do that.

Would Phil even know what Hockey is? I think it wouldn’t have been invented until long after the time period of Hercules.

Seriously though, didn’t Phil have several different pupils before Hercules like Odysseus, Theseus, Perseus, and Achilles? And in the Disney canon all of them apparently failed to become the true heroes that Phil was training them to be. So that’s kind of a knock against his training methods.

20 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Would Phil even know what Hockey is? I think it wouldn’t have been invented until long after the time period of Hercules.

Seriously though, didn’t Phil have several different pupils before Hercules like Odysseus, Theseus, Perseus, and Achilles? And in the Disney canon all of them apparently failed to become the true heroes that Phil was training them to be. So that’s kind of a knock against his training methods.

I actually don't disagree. If the scenario was "who could train the best hockey team," I would definitely give it to Splinter. But the scenario reads "which coach will choose that unbelievable million-to-one chance play in the last second and win?" In that very specific situation, I think Phil's style of coaching would be superior to Splinter's. Put another way, Splinter would be more likely to train his team to not even be in a last second, million-to-one shot situation, but if both found themselves in it, I think Phil would shine brighter

21 hours ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Well, hockey did exist in some form prior to its official debut as a sport in the NHL, as there are reports of the game in ancient Egypt, Ireland, and even Greece. In Greece, the sport, field hockey at least, was known as Keretizein, because it was played with a Keras, a horn like stick, and a ball it looks like from the relief presented online.

Relief_pentelic_marble_%22Ball_Players%2

Granted, field hockey and ice hockey differ in terms of how the rules are and how they operate, and granted Keretizein would certainly differ from both modern versions of hockey, as it existed before either modern version of the sport existed, however, if the relief, carving shown is taken at face value, and if we can believe it from Plurtarch's descriptions of Keretizein, than hockey did seem to exist in the ancient world of Greece, which would mean that Phil might have an idea or at least know of the sport and how it operates from how Keretizein operates.

That aside, we can't really attribute Phil's former pupils careers in the same way that we can or would think of his ability to lead here, as each of those individuals failed both themselves and Phil on their own, whereas Phil's success with Hercules came, ultimately, by convincing the hero to be humble, to take heed of the mistakes of the past and to reign himself in so that he could concentrate and face his challenges with grace and fortitude.

Phil isn't the type to teach most students the art of being a hero in a class room setting, but he is the type to teach certain types of students the more eccentric and often not thought of types of strategies, as it is in those strategies that Phil truly shines. Much like Hercules was, Phil is an outcast, and a rejected teacher, not necessarily because of only his failures, but also because of his teaching style and personality turning people away from him, but that doesn't mean he can't reach people, nor does it mean he wouldn't suggest a play like that if he understood modern ice hockey, as he has a great belief in his students, much as they pain him, and he knows or at least hopes that they can go the distance and win, which is why he'll do everything he can, short of entering the fray to encourage them to do so.

21 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

I actually don't disagree. If the scenario was "who could train the best hockey team," I would definitely give it to Splinter. But the scenario reads "which coach will choose that unbelievable million-to-one chance play in the last second and win?" In that very specific situation, I think Phil's style of coaching would be superior to Splinter's. Put another way, Splinter would be more likely to train his team to not even be in a last second, million-to-one shot situation, but if both found themselves in it, I think Phil would shine brighter

Well the picture literally shows three hockey players dude. Sorry if I assumed it was a hockey game being played.

11 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Well the picture literally shows three hockey players dude. Sorry if I assumed it was a hockey game being played.

Genuine question, did you read my comment? I never said the category isn't about hockey. I said the category isn't about whose long-term coaching strategy is the best, it's about who can make the best 1-in-a-million play, and I think that's Phil

1 hour ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Genuine question, did you read my comment? I never said the category isn't about hockey. I said the category isn't about whose long-term coaching strategy is the best, it's about who can make the best 1-in-a-million play, and I think that's Phil

I did. You might not have said it definitely wasn’t hockey, but you worded it like I was a fool to have assumed that it could have been a hockey game. Even though again, the picture next to the category is clearly intending to bring the image of a Mighty Ducks esque scenario to mind. Look I don’t have much of a stake in this matchup, so I don’t even know why we’re going back and forth.

31 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

I did. You might not have said it definitely wasn’t hockey, but you worded it like I was a fool to have assumed that it could have been a hockey game. Even though again, the picture next to the category is clearly intending to bring the image of a Mighty Ducks esque scenario to mind. Look I don’t have much of a stake in this matchup, so I don’t even know why we’re going back and forth.

I'm sorry, when did I say you were a fool? The reason I'm responding is because I'm genuinely confused. I agreed with you that Splinter would be a better overall coach, and then disagreed that he would be better in this specific scenario. I don't understand how that came across as me calling you a fool. If I was insulting in my tone then I'm sorry, but I wasn't trying to call you out or anything and I didn't think I had said anything objectionable