MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Match 16368 Rose vs. Zafina

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART CXXVI

yonipponichi.jpg.dca1b487dccb68e3bd4337426b680705.jpg

At a Japanese restaurant near G-Corporation headquarters,the malfested Katerina Alves lunged frantically at Mai Shiranui with a savate kick, but it missed its mark and Katerina instead snapped a table in two.  (REF: MAI SHIRANUI VS. KATERINA ALVES)  Katerina’s glowing orange eyes sparked as the rage inside her grew from her inability to properly deal with Mai Shiranui’s speed. The red robed kunoichi capitalized on this frustration and thrust several fans at Katerina, tagging the Brazilian fighter on multiple locations of her body. Mai followed this up by jumping and slamming her left elbow into Katerina. Miss Alves was staggered. Mai placed her hands together and used her pyrokinesis to summon a swirl of fire around her. Katerina was burned by the fire and fell motionless to the ground.

The bystanders in the restaurant who were originally the target of Katerina’s unfocused rage clapped earnestly in appreciation of Mai’s victory.

Mai smiled, pulled out one of her fans and stuck her trademark pose. “Yo! Nippon Ichi!”

Nearby, Mai’s ally, Dhalsim, was also causing his opponent a lot of irritation.  (REF: LEI FEI VS. DHALSIM) Lei Fei attempted to follow a sidekick with a front double kick, but Dhalsim levitated, teleported, and reappeared behind him.

“Yoga.”

“Stay still and fight like a man,” Lei Fei demanded.

Dhalsm responded to this by extending his arm and punching Lei Fei across the face. He then jumped in the air and attacked Lei Feit by twirling his body like a corkscrew. Lei Fei managed to block the brunt of the attack and temporarily push back the Indian Yoga master.

“Yoga fire. Yoga fire.”

Dhalsim shot fireballs out of his mouth at the Shaolin monk who jumped over one before having to use his arms to protect himself the best he could against the others. This left him vulnerable. Dhalsim teleported behind him.

“Yoga flame!”

Dhalsim blew a large fireball from his mouth that engulfed Lei Fei in flames. It was the same move he used to put down the enigmatic Voldo, and it was just as effective the second time around, Lei Fei laid down on the ground writhing in pain.

“That’s a really cool technique,” Mai remarked. “But how do you blow fire out of your mouth without ruining your teeth?”

Dhalsim replied with only a smirk before turning his attention to the fallen Katerina Alves.

“We must figure out what to do with her,” he commented.

:What do you mean?” asked Mai.

“Rose noted that this woman has been corrupted by Soul Edge. You saw her eyes. If Rose is right about the way this thing corrupts its hosts then any of these people are at risk of being corrupted as well as us if we remain exposed to her.”

“What should we do?”

Dhalsim motioned over at one of the restaurant workers. “Do you have table cloths that we can wrap her in?”

“Yes.”

“Did the monk that you fight also have glowing orange eyes?” Mai inquired.

“No,” responded Dhalsim. “He was not in a berserk rage. He was targeting me specifically. Which would mean he would be the second one to do so in as many days.”  (REF: DHALSIM VS. VOLDO)

Mai looked over Dhalsim with concern on her face. “Can you think of who would want to have you killed?”

“Not off hand. But, someone is going to a lot of trouble trying to make sure I am not involved in this fight. Which only tells me one thing, that this is exactly where I need to be,” declared Dhalsim.

He bent over and helped the volunteers wrapping up Katerina Alves.

“At some point she is going to wake up, and I don’t think we can be of much help to Terry, Rose, and Guy if we are carrying her around,” stated Mai.

“You are right of course.” Dhalsim though over this predicament for a minute. “We need someone we can trust to take her in. Do you know of anyone nearby?”

Inspiration struck Mai. “I’ve got it! Rose said Kyo, Athena, and some others traveled to Japan to exorcise the Soul Edge fragments out of some of the ancient warriors.  (REF: RYO SAKAZAKI VS. AKIRA YUKI)  They could do the same for this girl. We just need to contact them to pick her up.”

“I believe this woman’s affliction is different (REF: LAURA MATSUDA VS. KATERINA ALVES) from the ones who willfully took in shards of Soul Edge, however it is worth a shot. Do you have any way of reaching Athena or Kyo?”

“Not personally, but I think I can get to them from some mutual acquaintances,” said Mai.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rosevszafina.jpg.8f452b8ea21756393313fcbb4c544017.jpg

Rose and Terry Bogard left Guy to fight off Hwang’s advances (REF: HWANG VS. GUY) and continue their march to the G Corporation headquarters. Finally, they reached the front door of the building.

“Are you ready for this?” Rose inquired.

Terry clenched his left hand into a fist and punched his right palm. “I am more than ready. I am excited.”

“Are you both also here to confront Kazuya Mishima?”

The voice came from the darkness. Soon, the owner of the voice, Zafina, stepped into the light.

Rose regarded the Middle Eastern protector of the Royal graves with surprise. “Zafina?”

“You must be Rose,” guessed Zafina. “It is a pleasure to meet you. It must be fate that brought together two fortune tellers such as us in this fight against evil.”

“Yes. I have heard of your exploits in the fight against the resurrected demon, Azazel. I actually sent my apprentice to Egypt to seek out your assistance. I never heard back from her.”

“I will not lie to you,” Zafira said solemnly. “She and I met, (REF: MENAT VS. ZAFINA) there was a misunderstanding that led to an altercation. I defeated her, but I promise you I did not hurt her too severely.”

“Why would the two of you have an alterca…” A realization struck Rose that stopped her mid sentence. “I sense an evil spirit within you.”

“This was the misunderstanding,” stated Zafina. “What you are sensing is the remnants of Azazel. Jin Kazama did not destroy his spirit completely, I had to act fast before Azazel could fully reform, so I sealed his spirit in my left hand with a ritual perfected by my people. I assure you that it is under control.”

Rose empathized with her. “I can understand the rationale behind your decision, however coming here with a corrupted soul puts us all at a greater risk.”

“I do not see it that way,” Zafina countered. “I had originally thought that the prophecy of the two evil stars colliding and destroying the world was centered on Jin Kazama, Kazuya Mishima, and Azazel. But, it isn’t. There is still some good in Jin. What the prophecy is actually foretelling is the collision between Kazuya Mishima and M. Bison over Soul Edge. Azazel’s soul is simply a tool we can utilize to defeat them.”

“You speak like the warriors who ingested themselves with shards of Soul Edge,” Rose accused. (REF: ROSE VS. VIOLA)  “And you share their inability to understand that they are being manipulated by evil to seek out the sword. I have seen it. That is what has really brought you here.”

“You are wrong!” Zafina insisted. “My clan has devoted its life to the study of Azazel, no one understands the demon better than we do. I know the way it thinks and acts and I can guarantee Azazel is not influencing me to come here. The only thing that is bringing me here is a desire to stop the world from ending.”

“I know that you believe that to be true, but your foresight is clouded,” Rose retorted.

Terry Bogard was uneasy about the escalating tensions. “Rose, what do you want me to do? Tell me what to do and I will do it.”

“Terry, you must continue on and fight Kazuya. We may not get a better window then we have right now and every minute you spend out here makes that window smaller and smaller,” said Rose.

Terry nodded in agreement.

Rose pointed an accusatory finger at Zafina. “You will not continue on in there. You must leave this place and leave it to those pure of soul for I have seen the visions of those who have been corrupted inadvertently bringing back the unrelenting misery of Soul Edge.”

“I fear you are the one that is misunderstanding your visions. It is costing us greatly because it turns us against one another which plays right into their hands,” Zafina lamented.

“I can only do what I feel is right,” Rose declared.

“So can I, which is why I am going after Kazuya and no one will stop me. Not your apprentice and not you. I am sorry it has come to this.”

Rose sighed. “As am I.”

Another good set-up, Johnny. Good continuation of the Rose/Terry part of your arc.

As for the match? I have no idea who'd win here. Both ladies seem pretty powerful and both were willing and possibly able to take on at least one of the respective big bads in each of their canon storylines.