MATCH SCORE
Starkiller: 5
Wolverine: 3

Match 15070 Dhalsim vs. Voldo

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART LXV

7499574d6be06c43a94c18a9cd1b8b0a.jpg.8342cb99ec4a0dbbc594c583a5c756e3.jpg

“Andy! Andy!” shouted Mai Shiranui as she ran up and down the hallways of the Metro City Hospital. Her loud shouting and her loose fitting Shiranui ninja garb made her the center of attention for the entire building wherever she went. Her desperate calls were finally put to an end when Andy Bogard’s brother, Terry, ran up to her.

“Terry,” Mai said with relief. “I've never been more glad to see you, Is Andy here?”

Terry nodded.

“Is he okay? Did something happen to him?” asked Mai.

“He is fine. But, what about you. Mai? We heard you were kidnapped and then we found out the woman who had told us about it was trying to use us for her own purposes. We didn’t know what to think,” Terry explained.

“I WAS kidnapped,” Mai confirmed. “By that dastardly Geese Howard. He had some crazy chick with a ring blade and a pompous prick swordsman working for him.”  (REF: MAI SHIRANUI VS. TIRA

Terry raised an eyebrow. “Tira?”

“That was her. But, I took her down with my Shiranui-ryuu ninjutsu as soon as I had the opportunity to do so and escaped,” boasted Mai.  (REF: SARAH BRYANT VS. MATURE)

“I am happy that you are safe,” Terry remarked. “How did you find us here?”

“I went to Southtown after I escaped, but you guys had already left. King told me you had come to Metro City. When I got here, nobody was being helpful, but I did hear about a fight involving someone matching Andy’s description.  (REF: ANDY BOGARD VS. GUY) Then I heard a group of fighters were at the hospital and I feared the worst...and I…”

Terry grabbed Mai by the arms and smiled. “Like I said before, Andy is okay.” His expression then turned more somber. “Robert, however, is not. That pompous prick, as you called him, cut him up pretty badly.”  (REF: RAPHAEL SOREL VS. ROBERT GARCIA)

“That’s why you are here.”

Terry led Mai to the room where Robert Garcia was recovering from his wounds. The fortune teller, Rose, was also in the room.

“How awful,” Mai remarked at the sight of Robert’s deep cuts.

“Terry, who have you brought here?” Rose asked.

“This is Mai Shiranui. She is the one Andy was hunting you down for when we first met,” answered Terry.

“The one that the malicious woman was using to manipulate you and your brother? How fortunate that you appear to be unharmed, Miss Shiranui,” Rose remarked.

Mai told Rose and Terry all about her time as Geese Howard’s prisoner. She talked about hearing plans to resurrect Soul Edge, but how Geese always talked about different things when Tira and Raphael Sorel weren’t around. She was convinced he had ulterior motives that the other two weren’t aware of.

“He was constantly talking about different stages of different plans with someone on the phone, But, I never found out who that someone was,” said Mai.

Rose sighed. “This is terrible news. It is as I had feared. The possibility of wielding this sword’s power is attracting evil from all corners of the globe like moths to a flame.” She looked over her shoulder. “We are already behind on our mission. We can’t spend any more time here. I don’t want to sound insensitive, but he must decide now.”

Rose exited the hospital room. Mai Shiranui looked around and noticed the love of her life wasn’t in this room either.

“Andy is here somewhere? Right?” she questioned.

Terry motioned with his head for Mai to follow Rose and the three walked over to the ICU ward. In the waiting room they found Andy and Guy in mid conversation.

“Andy!” Mai leapt into his arms and embraced him tightly.

“Mai? It is good to see you. I am so happy you are okay. What happened to you?”

“She can catch you up on the details later, they are more pressing matters at hand,” Rose declared.

As Mai ran her hand across Andy’s face, she noticed pronounced bruising. “Andy? Who did this to you?”

“It was me,” Guy responded flatly.

Mai let go of Andy and glared at the man responsible for his ailments. “How dare you!” She lifted her hand to strike at Guy, but it was immediately grabbed by Andy.

“He did nothing wrong. I was the one who let myself be tricked into attacking him,” Andy insisted.

Guy did not speak or even react to Mai’s potential assault. A dejected expression remained firmly on his face.

“Any updates?” Rose inquired.

“No.” Guy looked down at his feet. “He is lucky he did not bleed to death in the diner where he was found.  (REF: GANRYU VS. TAKA ARASHI) In all my years of knowing Cody, I never thought any one man could take him down, much less something like this.”  (REF: CODY TRAVERS VS. RYUJI YAMAZAKI)

“I know he means a lot to you, but we have to leave now. Things are happening rapidly, I can feel it. If we don’t act now, it may be too late.” Rose placed her palm over Guy’s chest. “If you elect to stay here to be with him, I will feel no ill will toward you. I will know it is a decision coming from the heart.”

Guy appeared to be conflicted.

“I will stay,” Andy suggested. “I am still receiving some treatment myself, and I’m also worried about Robert.” He glanced over at his brother. “Any new updates from Ryo or Benimaru in Japan?”

Terry shook his head.

“Who knows how they are doing or if they have succeeded,” Andy continued.  (REF: LUONG VS. JURI HAN)

Rose looked doubtful.  (REF: YOSHIMITSU VS. RYU HAYABUSA)

“We can’t relegate all of our friends and allies to expendable soldiers in this fight.I will stay so I can keep communications open. I can keep an eye on both Robert and Cody.” Andy shifted his attention to Guy. “I promise to let you know if anything changes, good or bad.”

Terry patted Andy on the back. “We will miss you out there, but I think you are doing the right thing. Take care of yourself, bro.”

Guy thanked Andy and then walked away with Rose and Terry.

“You should go with them, too,” Andy said to Mai.

Mai disregarded this idea. “You’re obviously hurting and in need of support. I am staying with you.”

“They need you more than I do,” stated Andy. “Look around, Mai. Look at what this fight has already cost us. Think of your own experiences. If they are going to have any chance at winning this thing then they are going to need all the help they can get.”

Mai objected. “You want me to travel with the man that put you in this condition?”

Andy chuckled. “Guy is a good man. You may even learn a thing or two from him.”

“If you really think it’s the best thing to do…” Mai kissed Andy on the cheek. “I love you, Andy. When this is all over we will have a lot of catching up to do.”

“Sure thing.”

Down the all, Terry asked Rose about their plan of action. “I know you mentioned wanting to find a woman named Zafina and a man named Dhalsim. Where are we headed to first?”

“Time is of the essence so we need to do both things simultaneously,” replied Rose. “I have reached out to my apprentice, Menat, to locate Zafina which leaves Dhalsim to us.”

Guy was skeptical. “I have crossed paths with Dhalsim on a few occasions and he is a skilled fighter, but what makes him a priority for this mission?”

“It is not his fighting prowess that we are after. Dhalsim’s stoic nature will be invaluable to us in this fight. He has a calming aura that affects everyone around him. Soul Edge feeds off anger, fear, hatred, all powerful emotions that affect even the ones trying to stop it. Dhalsim has on a few occasions been able to calm Ryu and prevent him from slipping fully into the Satsui No Hado. He may need to do that again, or prevent someone else from devolving into something worse?” Rose explained.

“Worse than the Satsui No Hado?” Guy questioned.

“Either way we need Dhalsim's presence if we are to succeed,” Rose insisted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BNEA_SCVI_Voldo_Screenshot_02_1532103481.jpeg.8a2295a209cea089539bd6506f0d4e3a.jpeg

Urien waited at his desk for an update on Rose’s movements. Raphael Sorel had succeeded in delaying her a while before his desertion, but Tira’s overall failure meant Rose still had the potential to be a thorn in Urien’s side. He received a text message informing him of a chartered flight scheduled to take off from Metro City and land in India. The move confused him at first, until he remembered Dhalsim. But of all the places to go and people to see, why would they go to Dhalsim first? Urien did not understand Rose’s logic, but he knew better than to underestimate her. If Rose viewed Dhalsim as a valuable asset then Urien’s best course of action was to take that asset off the table. He thought over who he could send after the Yoga master. Inspiration hit him instantly as he remembered the freakish fighter that Tira had introduced to Geese Howard. Voldo, who was a slavish protector of his long dead master’s Money Pit and easily manipulated. Urien and Geese did not know what to do with Voldo at the time due to his ghastly appearance and odd behavior, but they kept him on retainer for whenever his deadly skills would become of use. That time was now. Urien quickly reached out to his Secret Society contacts to ensure he could get Voldo to India before Rose. Perhaps, he thought, finding Tira wouldn’t turn out to be a total waste of time after all.

Several hours later at his temple, Dhalsim floated in the air between his elephants during his daily meditation. One of the elephants let out a strange sound, Dhalsim opened one eye just in time to see a man with bandages wrapped around his head lunging at him claws first.

“Yoga!”

Dhalsim teleported several feet away to safety, but was shocked when he saw his attacker quickly spring off his hands and face Dhaslim.

“I am not sure what you are after, but I assure you you will not find it here,”  Dhalsim claimed.

Voldo did not respond, but he started to move his arms and legs in a rhythmic manner almost as if he were dancing in place. It was a fighting stance Dhalsim had never witnessed before, and then another discovery added to his confusion.

“You’re blind.”

Voldo again remained silent, but started another attack.

Just watched a video of Voldo and how he's evolved over the series. He has some seriously strange combos but I think he makes a great opponent for Dhalsim. Dhalsim has great endurance and abilities that give him an edge, but my money is on Voldo. He has bladed weapons and I could see how he'd be hard to hit at a long range. He can also teleport, which I watched him do in a cutscene. I can't explain how he did it but he did and it was weird.

Another good set-up, Johnny, and more good exposition in the dialogue.

As for the match, Voldo has the advantage in raw quickness, aggression, and unorthodoxies, but Dhalsim's calm demeanor, reach and abilities to blow flame and teleport could also serve him well here. In the end, though, I think Voldo could get off some blows on Dhalsim before the latter could teleport away and eventually wear the Yoga guru down, but not without Voldo himself getting burned a bit in the process.

It looks like Urien might have made a good choice in this battle of contortionists.

On another note, why is Voldo a flirty maid in the first fight of this vid???