Hollow: 2
X-23: 5

Zeorymer vs. Crimson Typhoon
MATCH SCORE
Zeorymer: 2
Crimson Typhoon: 4

Modern Earth Military VS Galactic Empire

Skirmisher

Not only do we have to take into account the actual Armed Forces of each notion but more domestic forces, for example every city in the United States has a Police Department, the CIA, FBI etc. Then we have trianed guerilla fighters like Al Queda and the Taliban who would fight the Imperials too...

So we have the Armed Forces, the Police, and Guerrilla fighters for the Empire to worry about.

Don't forget gangsters... Bloods, Crips, Latin Kings, FSU, etc.

-Rakai'Thwe

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jason Redfield

Methinks Jason Redfield is a US Marine serving in Iraq that has an immense knowledge on guns... Either that or he's an NRA Supporter. :P

Thanks ;) Unfortunately, I cannot claim the honor of the first. The second one... not particularly. Really, I'm just a guy that is a major gun nut and military/war buff that has way too much time on his hands following those two things as a hobby.

*snip from the rest of Rakai's post

You're not too far off the mark, really. I wouldn't count on any terrorist-type organization reverse-engineering any Imperial equipment anytime soon, but they could wreak some havoc. The Imperials obviously aren't completely ignorant to guerilla warfare, but they'd have to adapt quickly to the way it's done on Earth.

Actually, running the numbers the Imperial Forces have just as many Stormtroopers as Imperial Troopers...

However, in this situation it is Total War.

I take it to mean the numbers of troopers and Stormies are about equal, and both are deployed for this? If so, that's fine with me. Imperial Army troopers will die harder than Stormies ;)

Well, there is that... But I was basing off of their own words.

Understandable. The two sources are contradictory. I choose the movie one simply because I'm (admittedly) biased and because (I think) it's higher canon.

Guest Jason Redfield
Well, B12C3 has a melting point of 2763 °C, not only that but it's an Extremely hard material. Besides, a Blaster would act similar to a HEAT weapon, and IIRC Boron Carbide does well against that type of attack.

Not sure about the energy/temperature output of a blaster bolt, but that seems like it could reduce injury to be sure. Especially if it's supplemented with the latest in heat-dispersing materials. And minor nitpick, the physics of HEAT weapons and blasters are different.

Then again Repulsor Tanks could engage our ships at sea...

Hadn't thought about that. They can drive long distances over water? Either way, I doubt they'd make it far. They could definitely harass littoral assault forces near the coast, but they'd be absolutely blown away by anti-ship missiles before making it close enough to engage true naval forces, who typically put down roots well off-shore.

Not sure about the energy/temperature output of a blaster bolt, but that seems like it could reduce injury to be sure. Especially if it's supplemented with the latest in heat-dispersing materials. And minor nitpick, the physics of HEAT weapons and blasters are different.

Hadn't thought about that. They can drive long distances over water? Either way, I doubt they'd make it far. They could definitely harass littoral assault forces near the coast, but they'd be absolutely blown away by anti-ship missiles before making it close enough to engage true naval forces, who typically put down roots well off-shore.

The sea gives us another advantage: Aircraft carriers, sea to air stires my take the Empire off guard.

Guest Jason Redfield
The sea gives us another advantage: Aircraft carriers, sea to air stires my take the Empire off guard.

Indeed. You have that, and...

Funny you should mention the US Marines, Rakai...

Amphibious_assault,_Landing_Craft_Utility_(LCU),_23June04.jpg

bali-fadepic.jpg

Amphibious landings supported by overhead air cover could be a considerable problem for any lightly-guarded Imperial position, indeed.

I have no doubt the Empire will make gains in the starting stages of the war but the world powers will gather together and strike back hard. The U.S., U.K., Russia, China maybe, etc. The counterstirke would be something to see.

Indeed. You have that, and...

Amphibious landings supported by overhead air cover could be a considerable problem for any lightly-guarded Imperial position, indeed.

heh... until this happens...

Guest Jason Redfield

heh... until this happens...

Lmao. Funny story behind that, actually. From what I heard, the ones doing the beach landing are actually British Army Royal Engineers. They were having an argument with a group of Royal Marines, stating that they could do the amphibious landing stuff just as well as the Marines, and that the Marines were nothing special. So the Marines (the ones actually driving the boat) took them specifically to that spot on the beach and watched the fun.

Hilarity ensues.

Personally, I can't wait until some of the more... "irritable" countries decide they've had enough of these space men's crap and start tossing nukes around like candy. It means Armageddon, sure, but still...

And yes, I'm kidding about that last part.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." - Isoroku Yamamoto.

That what the Empire will be saying about the whole of Earth before this war is over.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." - Isoroku Yamamoto.

That what the Empire will be saying about the whole of Earth before this war is over.

A shame that ain't happening in my place.

-Rakai'Thwei

Guest Jason Redfield

Good quote and appropriate as well.

So...like I said, who is willing to help Skrim make this into a RP?

I'd probably take part in the RP if it was made, but I'd be no good at managing it. I'd be willing to lend knowledge on modern weaponry/tactics if anyone wants it.

As a side note, I actually wrote a (very brief) fan fic about this very scenario several years ago. It's rough, but I'll send it to anyone interested.

Good quote and appropriate as well.

I'd probably take part in the RP if it was made, but I'd be no good at managing it. I'd be willing to lend knowledge on modern weaponry/tactics if anyone wants it.

As a side note, I actually wrote a (very brief) fan fic about this very scenario several years ago. It's rough, but I'll send it to anyone interested.

Thanks and I'm totally interested in that fic. Even more in more interesting than the war itself is the aftermath of the war and what it means for Earth, after all the humans of Earth would have a cache of advance tech to reverse engineer and hybridize with our own. Imagine if we got our hand on some bacta, or stormtrooper armor. TIEs would do wonders for space exploration. Plus I doubt this ships parked by the Moon went unnoticed, think about the tech tose things have, most importantly hyperdrives...

Guest Jason Redfield

I'll try to find the fic ASAP. I did it on a different computer, so it may take some time to dig up. I warn you though, it's somewhat short and the writing isn't up to par with what I do nowadays. There's a good chance I'll edit it to spruce it up a bit.

Two things surprise me at this point in time:

1. Me and Skirmisher reaching a general agreement and not being at each other's throats.

2. Ruinus hasn't stormed into this thread with the fury of an angry Zeus tossing Star Wars factoids around like thunderbolts, smiting those who would dare blaspheme against the mighty Galactic Empire.

I type each of those with a completely straight face.

Crap, The Empire can strike a major blow to us befor the fighting starts by having the Ties take out our Satellete systems from space...

Guest Jason Redfield

Crap, The Empire can strike a major blow to us befor the fighting starts by having the Ties take out our Satellete systems from space...

That's a fair point... although anti-satellite missiles or nukes might be able to strike at TIEs in space, I wouldn't count on it in any but the most unusual of circumstances. Besides, IIRC, there was contingency doctrine in place during the Cold War that specifically addressed the chance of Soviets shooting down our satellites. It would be a major inconvenience for us, but not necessarily a game-breaker. GPS guidance systems for vehicles and weaponry would be useless, so alternate systems would have to be used, delaying effective deployment of forces.

That's a fair point... although anti-satellite missiles or nukes might be able to strike at TIEs, even in space. Besides, IIRC, there was contingency doctrine in place during the Cold War that specifically addressed the chance of Soviets shooting down our satellites. It would be a major inconvenience for us, but not necessarily a game-breaker. GPS guidance systems for vehicles and weaponry would be useless, so alternate systems would have to be used, delaying effective deployment of forces.

Considering the TIEs' range and the fact that we're talking orbiting sats the missles would probably reach, good thing too or we'd be talking communications break down on a global scale.

Not really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh2xXY8Weyk

Apparently, this is NASA footage of a UFO getting too close to Earth, and it evaded fire from a Military Defense base.. However, some claim that the military have developed plasma and laser technology already.

That's of course if you've listened to some of the circles I've heard from.

-Rakai'Thwei

Wow, my post didn't show up.

Well, I'll write a shorter version.

The NA forces of the Galactic Empire have 70,000 TIE/In+TIE/sa. According to this the entire world has 28,382 aircraft.

This means that the NA Imperial forces alone have 2.4 more aircraft than all the world's militaries combined. This isn't even accounting the fact that the entire GE forces on Earth have 350,000 aircraft, 12 times the number of all of Earth's militaries combined.

Every single one of these ships can reach orbit, sit outside our weapons ranges for 2 entire straight days, smash our satellite network and then swoop down and launch proton torpedoes (thermonuclear weapons) on any single part of the world at will, and there's absolutely nothing Earth can do about it. After that they can do what they want, sink any navy that's out there at sea, bomb any military installation, and watch as several parts of our society dependant on satellites (GPS for one) would suddenly crumble down around us.

The GE simply demands everyone surrenders and disarms their military or civilians die.

EDIT: The talk about the Earth being able to reverse engineer hyperdrive of all things is funny. Earth scientists would have absolutely no clue as to how to even begin explaining it's principles, since it would require an entirely new branch of physics, and several technologies that are unknown to mankind (shields, inertial dampeners, relativistic shielding which somehow warps time, etc etc) it would also require knowledge of how to even begin to build these devices. For instance, hyperdrive apparently requires some gravitational technology, which require giant unmanned refineries around black holes that somehow harvest knots of space-time.

Why do you guys think that aliens with superior technology usually beat the crap out of the military?

Because of their superior technology.

Examples- War of the Worlds, Independence Day, Mars Attacks etc.

That said, these movies were all made in Hollywood, thus humans always have to have a happy ending.

War of the Worlds- The aliens get sick and die.

Independence Day- The aliens get owned by a computer geek's virus.

Mars Attacks- The aliens are defeated by the song Indian Love Call.

Guest force_echo

It depends on who leads the GE. I mean im gonna put this bluntly, Imperial Officers suck. They are idiots. There is no possible way they would be able to conquer Earth. However, if they were lead by Thrawn, Vader, Sidious, etc.

P.S Stormtrooper armor is made primarily to withstand hostile conditions. Which would make sense in the forging of a Galactic Empire, which is the context in which Stormtroopers were used. However, this does explain the lack of protection the armor provides.