Guardian (Marvel Comics) vs. Captain Britain
MATCH SCORE
Guardian (Marvel Comics): 0
Captain Britain: 4

Music

Guest boston_celtics

• 2 weeks later...
Guest silversurfer092

I've listened to way too much Coldplay recently. Like, listened to their debut album 3 times in a row, listened to all 5 of their studio albums 2 or 3 times in the past 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest silversurfer092

Favorites of mine are "Lost In My Mind" by The Head and the Heart, but their whole CD is pretty great. Of Monsters and Men, their big hit is "Little Talks" but "King And Lionheart" is also pretty good. The Civil Wars, I haven't listened to real intensely, but their first song on the album is good.

Guest sirmethos

Hmm, all 3 bands are pretty good, but imo, none of the are quite as good as Mumford and Sons.

I've downloaded a bunch of their songs though, and added some of them to my current playlist.

Guest silversurfer092

The Head and the Heart is Mumford without the banjo and a bit more peace chill. Of Monsters and Men is a mix between Mumford and Arcade Fire. The Civil Wars pull off the folkiness that Mumford wants.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hayesmeister5651

At work right now, just heard Call me Maybe for the tenth time. All that song has done is given sluts a reason to justify their actions. i swear society standards are falling fast.

At work right now, just heard Call me Maybe for the tenth time. All that song has done is given sluts a reason to justify their actions. i swear society standards are falling fast.

Yes, because being able to have sex with whom ever you want is a sign of bad standards [/sarcasm]

• Like 1

Guest silversurfer092

I'm confused as to how that song has anything to do with sluts. It has to do with a phone call.

Guest Hayesmeister5651

I'm confused as to how that song has anything to do with sluts. It has to do with a phone call.

Have you ever been to a bar? When a guy is trying to get a number from a girl or vice versa, it's primarily for sex. That's it.

@Kain- Not what I meant. It promotes one night stands/promiscuous sex. Then someone gets an STD and doesn't tell the person out of embarrassment, continue to *vulgarity* other people and spread the disease. All the while these drunk girls are like "it's okay I'm just like Carly!!!" If you don't think pop culture doesn't affect young people's mindset, then I do not know what to tell you.

Guest silversurfer092

Have you ever been to a bar? When a guy is trying to get a number from a girl or vice versa, it's primarily for sex. That's it.

@Kain- Not what I meant. It promotes one night stands/promiscuous sex. Then someone gets an STD and doesn't tell the person out of embarrassment, continue to *vulgarity* other people and spread the disease. All the while these drunk girls are like "it's okay I'm just like Carly!!!" If you don't think pop culture doesn't affect young people's mindset, then I do not know what to tell you.

Yeah, because Carly Rae Jepsen was totally singing about her in a bar in that song. You can tell by the lyrics "hot night, wind was blowin". I hate it when I go to a bar and it's windy in there. The breeze kills my drinking mood. It's even worse when it's hot and muggy in the bar. Plus, when I hear "I threw a wish in a well", my first thought is "Stop doing shit like that in a bar!" too.

I do think pop culture affects young people's mindset, it'd be ignorant not to. However, to think "oh hey, Carly Rae Jepsen is clearly advocating the spread of AIDS with her simple, catchy, innocent song" is probably just as ignorant.

Guest Hayesmeister5651

Yeah, because Carly Rae Jepsen was totally singing about her in a bar in that song. You can tell by the lyrics "hot night, wind was blowin". I hate it when I go to a bar and it's windy in there. The breeze kills my drinking mood. It's even worse when it's hot and muggy in the bar. Plus, when I hear "I threw a wish in a well", my first thought is "Stop doing shit like that in a bar!" too.

I do think pop culture affects young people's mindset, it'd be ignorant not to. However, to think "oh hey, Carly Rae Jepsen is clearly advocating the spread of AIDS with her simple, catchy, innocent song" is probably just as ignorant.

It doesn't matter if she is singing about being in a bar, it doesn't matter where she is singing about, more times then not when a guy wants a girls number, it's to have sex, not hang out and play board games. If we are to take the lyrics so literally then she sold soul her soul for fame.

"I'd trade my soul for a wish, pennies and dimes for a kiss"

So taking her lyrics as literally, she just said she'd sell her soul, and that she is willing to be a prostitute. Exchanging sexual favors for pennies and dimes.

I'm not saying she is clearly advocating anything, it's how her lyrics resonate in people's heads. Just like people can look at art and perceive it how they want.

snip

Not what I meant. It promotes one night stands/promiscuous sex.

Aye, then you meant exactly what i thought you meant, and it's still stupid.

You are saying that having an active sex life, is a bad thing, it lowers the standards of society, apparently without considering the myriads of factors that influence it.

I will gladly agree that somebody getting an STD and not telling it, is incredibly stupid, however that has absolutely nothing to do with having an active sex life, that has something to do with being stupid.

If you don't think pop culture doesn't affect young people's mindset, then I do not know what to tell you.

Two things here.

First off "young people", based on your profile, you're only 21 years old, you're still one of those "young people" you were talking about, hell, at barely 27, I'm still relatively young.

And secondly, I haven't said anything about pop culture affecting them, the only thing i commented on, was your american fear of anything remotely sexual, which is quite apparent in both the previous post and this one.

• Like 1

Guest LoneWolf

Pop, folk, hipster rock bores me to tears. Whatever it goes by now. Violent Femmes started the whole thing I'm pretty sure.. in like 1985 or so. Anyone going to ABR in Anaheim 22 Sep? That's something I can get into.

Guest silversurfer092

Pop, folk, hipster rock bores me to tears. Whatever it goes by now. Violent Femmes started the whole thing I'm pretty sure.. in like 1985 or so. Anyone going to ABR in Anaheim 22 Sep? That's something I can get into.

You're an absolute noob if you think the Violent Femmes started hipsterdom. Just about any kind of non-metal music involving a guitar was started by the Beatles. I'd bet that 9 out of 10 famous/legitimate indie/pop rock musicians will list The Beatles as a favorite musician/influence.

Guest silversurfer092

It doesn't matter if she is singing about being in a bar, it doesn't matter where she is singing about, more times then not when a guy wants a girls number, it's to have sex, not hang out and play board games. If we are to take the lyrics so literally then she sold soul her soul for fame.

"I'd trade my soul for a wish, pennies and dimes for a kiss"

So taking her lyrics as literally, she just said she'd sell her soul, and that she is willing to be a prostitute. Exchanging sexual favors for pennies and dimes.

I'm not saying she is clearly advocating anything, it's how her lyrics resonate in people's heads. Just like people can look at art and perceive it how they want.

Hayes, I'll be honest. Almost all of your most recent posts on the Off Topic Board have made you look like nothing short of an idiot. Even so, with your whole idea of "BLAME 'CALL ME MAYBE' FOR GIRLS BEING WHORES!", that's like blaming GTA for Columbine, blaming Need For Speed for street racing and blaming Trainspotting for any and all drug use in the UK. It's dumb and idiotic.

Guest God-Speed_88

I see where Hayes is coming from and you do too Surfer. It's just that the particular song the discussion is about, isn't that provocative compared to others in the charts. Music, advertising, television, fashion etc does help to influence the youth, it has done throughout time. I think we all agree on that point.

Kainboa - Agreed, an active sex life between mature minds can be a very good thing, both physically and mentally. Although, when girls of 12-15 are idolising Paris Hilton and singing Nicki Minaj, then things can become twisted. They aren't mature enough to understand the act of sex and aren't able to fully comprehend the responsibilities (in general, I know we all mature differently). Who is to blame the parents, or media? An ever revolving question. My point is that the media can influence vulnerable minds and not always for the greater good.