Rumble 20581 Zyclops vs. Whitespikes
MATCH SCORE
Zyclops: 2
Whitespikes: 1

CBUB Fantasy Draft - Season 5

Fox

On 10/14/2020 at 9:00 PM, Fox said:

SLOT 5: The Team's Wild West Component

A street level character from the old west. Could be from a western movie, book or comic book. Could also be a real actual historical wild west personality, many of whom ended up as characters in movies and novels.  

No cartoon characters.

Base Line Examples:
- Two-Gun Kid
- Billy the Kid
- Lone Ranger

For this slot you say "street level." So, are characters like the androids from West World (who can survive multiple gunshots) acceptable?

13 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

For this slot you say "street level." So, are characters like the androids from West World (who can survive multiple gunshots) acceptable?

The first issue there is that West World characters don't fit the old west slot.  So, that's a no go.

I mean, historical old west.  Like The Magnificent Seven or old Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns.

When I say Street Level what I'm trying to avoid is people digging into some of the high powered Western characters from comic books.

Like the original Ghost Rider:
672037.jpg

I had that dude specifically in mind because he totally is old west and totally is an overpowered ghost.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fox said:

The first issue there is that West World characters don't fit the old west slot.  So, that's a no go.

I mean, historical old west.  Like The Magnificent Seven or old Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns.

When I say Street Level what I'm trying to avoid is people digging into some of the high powered Western characters from comic books.

Like the original Ghost Rider:
672037.jpg

I had that dude specifically in mind because he totally is old west and totally is an overpowered ghost.

Would you consider The Web-Slinger overpowered? I'm trying to gauge how strong you want while also sticking with a theme.

tumblr_a28cacc0f4f52c15367624a41b403d12_ac54acf4_640.png

9 minutes ago, SSJRuss said:

Would you consider The Web-Slinger overpowered? I'm trying to gauge how strong you want while also sticking with a theme.

tumblr_a28cacc0f4f52c15367624a41b403d12_ac54acf4_640.png

Well, that's super hard to judge because Comic Vine literally has no reference material on this character.  That's fringe.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/web-slinger/4005-161173/

That makes him hard for the CBUB to debate about certainly.   We like characters we can at least speak about with some knowledge.

1 minute ago, Fox said:

Well, that's super hard to judge because Comic Vine literally has no reference material on this character.  That's fringe.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/web-slinger/4005-161173/

That makes him hard for the CBUB to debate about certainly.   We like characters we can at least speak about with some knowledge.

Well if he's not over the limit, I can provide comic book scans and the feats that are implied. Like how he can shoot webs instead of bullets and has a telepathic connection to his horse.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Patrick_O'Hara_(Earth-31913)

https://thedailybugle.fandom.com/wiki/Web-Slinger

Don't know if these help lol

1 minute ago, SSJRuss said:

Well if he's not over the limit, I can provide comic book scans and the feats that are implied. Like how he can shoot webs instead of bullets and has a telepathic connection to his horse.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Patrick_O'Hara_(Earth-31913)

https://thedailybugle.fandom.com/wiki/Web-Slinger

Don't know if these help lol

I would have to say he's over the line because, unlike the Pet Slot, the old west slot will be based on some clear physical challenges.  The fact that he has a Spider Sense alone would be godly in that slot.

There is no gritty realistic old west character that people would say could beat an old west Spider-Man knock off.

Same if you find an Old West Bat God knock-off from DC Comics (which probably exists).  No way.

2 minutes ago, Fox said:

I would have to say he's over the line because, unlike the Pet Slot, the old west slot will be based on some clear physical challenges.  The fact that he has a Spider Sense alone would be godly in that slot.

There is no gritty realistic old west character that people would say could beat an old west Spider-Man knock off.

Same if you find an Old West Bat God knock-off from DC Comics (which probably exists).  No way.

From what I can see, I don't think he hasn't shown Spider sense. Just a connection with his horse because they were both bitten by the same spider.

But I get what you're saying. I can look for someone else. Just need an animal related old west character that fits my theme.

5 minutes ago, SSJRuss said:

From what I can see, I don't think he hasn't shown Spider sense. Just a connection with his horse because they were both bitten by the same spider.

But I get what you're saying. I can look for someone else. Just need an animal related old west character that fits my theme.

OK, thanks for understanding.

Comic Vine, in what little info they have on the character, says he has Danger Sense and therefore I assume he does.

You can find an edge in this slot, but it's gonna have to be a subtle one probably.

Take Old West Doc Brown from Back to the Future III for example.  Well, he brings the science anyways.  Is that a thing here?  Who knows - but he's normal.

Or how about the Wild Wild West which was a crazy mash-up of a Western and James Bond and a WIll Smith movie.  Still normal.

5 hours ago, Fox said:

Here's a tiny sample of the many Slot Challenges in Season 5.

In the ring fighters:

ring-earthquake.jpg

Deities:

deity-shire.jpg

Old West:

oldwest-cattlerustling.jpg

Entertainers:

entertainer-kidsbirthday.jpg

Ooh, Entertainers looks like it'll be pretty fun already.

On 10/14/2020 at 9:00 PM, Fox said:

SLOT 6: The Team's Mid-Level Superhero

A Marvel or DC Comics character that is not super fast (no speed blitz) and is not super strong (upper limit: lift a car) and has no psionic powers.

Could potentially destroy a car in one blow but could not destroy a jumbo jet or a house (or larger) in one blow.

Base Line:
- Wolverine
- Cyborg
- Captain America

Is Spiderman over the level here, or right on target? Trying to gauge this one because a lot of characters seem iffy.

3 hours ago, Bergy_Berg said:

Is Spiderman over the level here, or right on target? Trying to gauge this one because a lot of characters seem iffy.

Spider-Man is rated as being able to lift 10 Tons.  He is over level of this slot.

By contrast, Captain America can lift 800 pounds only.

The first thing I'm going to do is Google the max weight a character can lift when evaluating people's picks in this slot.  That followed by if they are known speed blitzers.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fox said:

Spider-Man is rated as being able to lift 10 Tons.  He is over level of this slot.

By contrast, Captain America can lift 800 pounds only.

The first thing I'm going to do is Google the max weight a character can lift when evaluating people's picks in this slot.  That followed by if they are known speed blitzers.

Well there goes my other spider lol

Would you consider Spider-girl? She's weaker then her dad. It says on Google her limit is 4 tons. That still too much?

Or Ultimate Spider-Man, who was also weaker than traditional Spider-Man?

12 minutes ago, SSJRuss said:

Well there goes my other spider lol

Would you consider Spider-girl? She's weaker then her dad. It says on Google her limit is 4 tons. That still too much?

Max for this slot is ability to lift a car.

The average weight of a car is 4000 pounds.  That's 2 Tons.

I'll be denying entries that can lift over 2 tons.

Just now, Fox said:

Max for this slot is ability to lift a car.

The average weight of a car is 4000 pounds.  That's 2 Tons.

I'll be denying entries that can lift over 2 tons.

Okay. I can work with that.

I think.

1 minute ago, Fox said:

You're out of luck with Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) also. She's 7 tons.

Taskmaster... you know you want to.

latest?cb=20141027120938

Great character, but I'm looking at an animal theme. That's why Spider-Man would have been perfect.

6 minutes ago, SSJRuss said:

Great character, but I'm looking at an animal theme. That's why Spider-Man would have been perfect.

Spiders are arachnids, not an animal species.  So, doomed from the start I'd say.

23 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Are we restricted to Marvel and DC characters? Could I pick, for instance, someone from Fables?

Yes, this is Marvel and DC specifically in this slot.