Brock Samson: 4
Evil Ash: 0

Starkiller vs. Wolverine
MATCH SCORE
Starkiller: 5
Wolverine: 3

Tournament - Roy Burns (Fri. 13th: A New Beginning) vs. Clarice Starling

ND7

(#1 of my two entries for the CBUB/EF Halloween tournament! It’s been a good couple months since I’ve written a match-more so participating in a tournament! I wish the best of lucky to everyone else! But most of all, I hope you enjoy my entries!)

~~~
Pinehurst had been created with the intention of helping troubled youths. Those whom society had deemed as too troublesome to deal with out in public. Hide them away and let their problems become someone else’s. The hope was that given enough time and counseling the residents could improve themselves and eventually leave the grounds in order to lead a happier, healthier life. 

That had been the intention. Emphasis on the had

The recent death of one the halfway home’s occupants had changed everything for the worse. The murder in question leaving a youth by the name of ‘Joey’ hacked to bloody pieces after attempting to offer a chocolate treat to one of the home’s more volatile members. His body was carted away and his killer arrested but unknown to anyone at the time, one of the paramedics called to the scene had a closer connection to the slain boy. That’d been his only son and the sight of him having been savagely cut apart tore away at Roy Burns’s psyche. Watching over his son from afar but always keeping his distance to let the boy lead his own life was called into question. Could he have prevented this if he’d been more active in his son’s life? If he’d gotten him away from Pinehurst to begin with? All questions that wouldn’t change the reality of the situation: his son was dead, murdered, and what was going to be done about it? The killer had already been caught and booked by the proper authorities but what would hurt this cursed place more than losing two of its members? 

Losing even more, Roy imagined. 

But that was utter lunacy! He hadn’t the stomach for such violence, let alone perpetuating an act of murder himself. No, what seemed more likely in his mind was to drink it all away. Maybe he’d die of alcohol poisoning before the guilt overcame him. As he’d wrapped up work for the night and started on the long drive back home, Roy felt a strange feeling growing within him. It felt like the atmosphere had changed. It’d grown colder, deathly chill as a matter of fact. But it was bright and sunny out and he had the heat on in his truck. What could it have been? If the traumatized paramedic had paid more attention to the rest of Pinehursts’s inhabitants, he might have noticed a familiar one living among them. It’d make sense of course, this one in particular had made headline news when he was only a child. 

His name was Tommy Jarvis and he killed Jason Voorhees. 

Having been attacked in 1984 by the masked maniac who’d slaughtered a nearby cabin of teenagers and even the Jarvis siblings’s mother, it was only thanks to Tommy’s attempt to confuse the mentally ill manchild by shaving his hair off to look like Jason in his youth that he got in close enough to deliver a headstrike with Jason’s own machete. It seemed as though Tommy and his older sister, Trish, had been saved. But after noticing the faintest of twitches coming from the serial killer’s prone body, Tommy continued his strikes until Jason’s corpse was covered in more wounds than any of his victims. The police came soon after and understood that Tommy had killed the attacker in self-defense. Only there was a problem in Tommy’s mind. The police and psychiatrist both kept referring to Jason as ‘that man’/’the killer’. When Tommy insisted that the man he’d killed was none other than Jason Voorhees, the responses, especially from Detective Rico of the Crystal Lake Police Department were less than sympathetic. Pulling the doctor aside just for a moment, Rico let his true feelings be known. 

“You don’t expect me to seriously believe this bullshit, do you? That guy-who that little creep hacked up like a Thanksgiving goose by the by-must have been what? Late 20s-early 30s? Jason Voorhees was a kid and he DIED. Back in the goddamn 1950s-” “With all due respect, Detective. Tommy has been through a severe amount of trauma. I’m sure if we give him time, he’ll come to realize that man was just someone using the ‘Jason’ mythos as a tool, an excuse for his killings.” 

The detective didn’t seem convinced. Putting out his cigarette and flicking it into the nearest wastebin, he scoffed. “Well, you’re the one with the PHD, doc. But the way I see it? The guy we got down at the morgue? He’s John Doe and that’s all he’ll ever be up until he’s just a pile of ash blowing in the wind….” He turned back to the door where Tommy could be seen through the glass staring blankly ahead. “...Fuckin kid gives me the creeps.” 

Despite the detective’s skepticism, the man that Tommy had killed was indeed the figure of legend. Having somehow survived his near-drowning back in the fifties, Jason Voorhees survived in the woods, little more than a hermit. Up until the killings started and even with Jason’s death at the hands of Tommy, they weren’t going to stop anytime soon. For some who lived around the Crystal Lake area, the legend of Jason Voorhees may have had more weight than the actual man himself. Roy was going to become very aware of that all too soon. Passing by the site where Jason’s gravestone stood-covered in dirt and slightly tilted-, the chilling feeling within his truck only grew worse. As he leaned forward to attempt to adjust the AC, he noticed something in his mirror. Something that wasn’t him looking back at his reflection. The figure in the mirror wore a dark green button up shirt, stained with dried blood, and brown pants equally as stained with blood. But the most distinguishing feature had to be the hockey mask hiding the figure’s face. Cold black holes with worms surging out of them stared him down and Roy screamed. 

*SCREEEECH!*

The truck came to a sudden stop and Roy’s head banged against the steering wheel. He was out but in his daze, things were steadily becoming more clear. The one he’d seen in the mirror. It looked just like that guy in the papers. The one who’d killed all those people. One might have wondered why an image of him had appeared before Roy but it made sense to him. It was a sign for sure! He needed to man up and do what needed to be done. The legend of ‘Jason Voorhees’ was still strong within this community and who better to commit a slaughter than Jason himself? Slowly picking his head up from the steering wheel, Roy looked at the mirror, a red streak of blood running down his forehead. 

Whether it was an hallucination brought on by Roy’s stress/trauma or the killer’s spirit preying on Roy’s vulnerability to try and exact revenge on Tommy from beyond the grave, it didn’t matter to him. The slow nod of approval was all that Roy needed. All that was left was a quick stop to buy some ‘essentials.’ 

~~~

The massacre that unfolded at Pinehurst wasn’t justice. Not in the eyes of the law, anyway. It was simply the deranged acts of a man who was driven mad with grief. Or for those like Tommy Jarvis-who’d been transferred to Pinehurst after being kicked out of four other previous halfway homes-another attempt of Jason’s to get at him. As rain poured down around him, Tommy watched as ‘Jason’ approached him. The attire was different, the mask had a unique design, and even the body type was off. But hobbled as he was with a chainsaw wound to his shoulder and a cut from a tractor across his midsection, the killer closed in with a machete held high. Roy the paramedic hadn’t known who Tommy was beyond him ‘being the boy who killed Jason’,  He didn’t really care either. But in Tommy’s eyes, Roy and Jason were two sides of the same coin. The ‘spectre’ that Roy had seen shifting places with him repeatedly in Tommy’s damaged mind.  Frozen in fear, there was little that Tommy could do as the imposter moved to strike-

-Wait! Losing his footing as a result of the rain slicking the roof, the machete fell from Roy’s hands and after a hearty kick from Tommy, he plummeted back off the roof with a loud thud. His mask knocked off and his face a blank stare. Just as Tommy’s had been all those years ago after killing the actual Jason. 

The police apprehended Roy and it was only after the fact that Tommy learned of Roy’s connection with Joey. But much to Detective Rico’s annoyance, Tommy refused to believe that Jason hadn’t been behind Roy’s actions in someway, a malicious spirit guiding the former paramedic’s hands so to speak. 

“You’ve got to listen to me! This isn’t just some coincidence! This is Jason working against me! He’s dead and buried but I’m telling you! He worked through this guy-this...this ‘Roy’ to get at ME!” Rico took a long drag off his cigarette before slamming his fist down onto the table startling both Tommy and his doctor. “Yeah? Well, you wanna know what I think? I think you’re a fucking basketcase! What? You want me to file a report saying a ghost told this guy to hack up all these kids? No, no you know something? Why is it that you always seem to be involved when shit goes tits up in Crystal Lake, Jarvis? Burns, that guy-” 

“That GUY was JASON VOORHEES-”

“JASON VOORHEES IS DEAD, YOU LITTLE FUCKING PRICK-” 

“Detective!”

Taking a particularly long drag on his cigarette, Rico glared at Jarvis. “You better get your shit together, Jarvis. One’s enough, two’s trouble…You just hope we don’t get to three.” Walking out of the room to vent his frustrations elsewhere, Tommy continued to confide in his doctor to no avail.  Rico hadn’t gone too far though. Having stepped out to use the phone, he seemed to be talking to someone...but who? 

What of Roy, you may find yourself wondering? No longer would he have to worry about things such as a ‘job’ or ‘family.’ The state had it all taken care of: a padded room and straitjacket is just what Roy really needed. After some discussions with his own doctor, Roy seemed to be breaking whatever spell he’d been put under.

He’d suffered a mental break after the gruesome murder of his son. In his delirious state, he dressed up as ‘Jason Voorhees’ and went on a killing spree. There hadn’t been any ‘chilling feelings’ or ‘signs of a ghost’ or if there had been? It was all just hallucinations brought on by trauma! But while his doctor seemed happy at the progress they’d been making over the past few months, Roy’s own stare seemed...somewhat focused elsewhere? 

“Roy? Roy, are you okay?” The doctor asked but Roy didn’t respond. His attention was too focused on the figure towering over the doctor. Blood dripping down the worndown surface of the figure’s hockey mask from the gaping head wound, those same black sockets stared Roy down and he reached out with his hands extended. The flesh on said hands looking rotten and devoid of life. Like those of a body straight out of the morgue. Some screams there and a gurgle of blood there, the figure had moved to take his place behind Roy with Roy’s hockey mask in one hand and his outfit in the other. 

Maybe it was the spectre’s influence on Roy or just the man having been beaten down by all that he’d been through. But after a brief moment of hesitation, he reached out for the objects. To become ‘Jason’ once more. 

~~~

Tommy’s continued demands that Crystal Lake’s mayor’s claim of Jason having been cremated be investigated/that there was more of a supernatural explanation behind Roy’s killing spree was bringing a lot of bad press around the area. With that, more psychos seeking to piggyback off the Jason mythos for their own sick and twisted gains were sure to follow. That was what worried Detective Rico. 

It was also why he’d made a call to his superiors. That someone with experience with mental cases like this come down and attempt to get any information-if at all-out of Roy Burns.

“I-I know it sounds like I’m making a mountain out of a molehill here, but you’re not the one who’s gonna get his ass chewed out by the mayor if this nutjob keeps blabbering to anyone who’ll listen! Sir.” Detective Rico murmured into the phone. “Jason Voorhees is nothing more than a pile of ash! If anything’s causing these deaths, it’s whackjobs like Jarvis who keep attracting/pushing guys like Burns into donnin the mask and starting shit that we have to clean up!” 

“...I think I have someone who could help us.” 

Clarice Starling had planned to deal with some of the worst this country had to offer. Being in the FBI had it’s perks but she was sure that encountering people like Buffalo Bill would have had some people thinking it wasn’t worth it. But Clarice was anything but weak-willed enough to give up after dealing with a creep or two. So, it was when she’d heard about being requested to come down to Crystal Lake, New Jersey, she’d jumped at the bit. 

She’d heard of the killings that’d transpired there. They’d been different from the likes of Bill or even Hannibal. From all that she knew, it was different men all adopting the same persona. That of a dead boy risen from the depths of the lake to wreck havoc on anyone who dared enter onto the lake’s grounds.  Opportunists who simply desired the fame and thrill that came with trying to become a living legend. Starling saw them as just demented psychos with a need for attention. 

Still, even if it didn’t excuse murder by any means, Clarice wasn’t heartless. She’d been informed of the circumstances surrounding this ‘Roy Burns’s spree. He’d seen his own son mutilated with an ax. With no one to confide in and no support system, it was a lot for one man to carry all alone. It was her job to try and piece together what she could. The chief of police over in Crystal Lake made it sound as though Roy had made great progress/would be more than willing to speak with her. 

...That wasn’t exactly the scene that greeted her. Arriving at the Crystal Lake Mental Institution, she was surprised that she hadn’t been greeted. In fact it almost seemed too quiet. She’d been expecting Roy’s doctor to at least be waiting for her outside? “Hello?” As she moved up the steps to the door, she mused. “Maybe I should have called ahead.” 

Giving the door a push open, she felt some weight against it. “What the…” Putting her back into it, she gave the door a rough shove and a wet plop filled her ears and the sight of Roy’s doctor, her head barely hanging on after it's been ripped backwards greeting her, having been propped up against the door like some macabre decoration. “Shit!” She exclaimed as she immediately went to draw her piece. She’d come here to talk to-maybe even help Roy, and instead she was greeted with a corpse and blood soaked hallways. Roy was in here somewhere and she had to find him. 

For his part, Roy continued to stroll down the halls, the lights flickering overhead as he went. Although he didn’t pay it any mind, the reflection in the blood of an orderly that he’d disemboweled wasn’t of him. But none other than Jason Voorhees...

~~~~

(Apologies for the lengthy setup! I got a bit ‘motivated.’ Basically, this is Clarice after the events of Silence of the Lambs but before Hannibal/Roy is operating under the idea that he survived the events of Part 5 and was instead found criminally insane. The circumstances for this fight are for Clarice to either subdue Roy or use lethal force on him if need be. Roy WILL kill her if he can and he may or may not be possessed by Jason. Or maybe it’s a hallucination. Or maybe he really thinks he IS Jason. Who knows! But I hope you enjoy and have a spooooky month!~)

Learn More About
Roy Burns (Fri. 13th: A New Beginning)
Read more about Roy Burns (Fri. 13th: A New Beginning) at Wikipedia
Official Site: Paramount Links: Wikipedia IMDb Wikipedia

Clarice Starling
Read more about Clarice Starling at Wikipedia
Official Site: Universal Links: Wikipedia The Silence of the Lambs (novel) Hannibel (novel)

You've still got it, ND! :) Another great set-up here.

As for the match, I have a feeling Clarice can handle this, albeit with some close calls. She's used to dealing with smarter psychopaths, etc., and Roy doesn't seem to have the original Jason's resurrection abilities.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

You've still got it, ND! :) Another great set-up here.

As for the match, I have a feeling Clarice can handle this, albeit with some close calls. She's used to dealing with smarter psychopaths, etc., and Roy doesn't seem to have the original Jason's resurrection abilities.

Thank you so much, DS! We should catch up sometime!

You know it’s interesting you say that because in the video game when Roy was added as another ‘Jason’, people complained about it’d be ‘unrealistic’ for Roy to perform the game’s kills and so the devs at first handwaved it as ‘oh Roy believes he IS Jason.’ And people still complained so they just outright said ‘guys. It’s a video game.’ 

Something I tried to play with as far as the story goes is ; is it really Jason’s ghost egging Roy on? Does he believe that he’s actually Jason? Or are Tommy and him both just nut jobs and Jason is just rotting six feet under?? Keep ya on your toes and all~

34 minutes ago, JohnnyChany said:

This is so great. What an excellent first entrant into this month's tournament. I'm excited to see what else you have up your sleeve.

Thank you so much! Who do you think will win?

A very strong start to our October match tournament.

I sat down with my morning coffee to review the Tourney match and, oh mah goodness, That's a movie I would like to see.

It has to be one of the lengthier entries in the tournaments.  And, if you are going to make the reader go through that much text, then you must entertain that reader to the end.  Else, after a certain length, you've wasted their time and bored them which is of course unforgivable.

I have to say this was well crafted all the way through but it does push the boundaries. Nonetheless, I was entertained beginning to end so it succeeds with this reader.

I would have liked more Clarice in the story, but she does enter the story at the perfect time.

I'm mostly familiar with the Jason mythos from CBUB reads as I've only ever watched the first two movies.  This explains what is going on in the franchise and the characters involved so well that I did not feel like I was missing anything at all by not having seen these installments of Friday the Thirteenth.

Thanks for the great read, looking forward to the next match.

I'll take Clarice for the win.

• Like 1

I'm gonna go with Clarice...

Primarily because Roy Burns is just a guy who is masquerading around as Jason Voorhees and still can feel pain, and doesn't have the supernatural abilities which Jason has. Now if this was the real Jason Voorhees, well then... that's a whole different story.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fox said:

A very strong start to our October match tournament.

I sat down with my morning coffee to review the Tourney match and, oh mah goodness, That's a movie I would like to see.

It has to be one of the lengthier entries in the tournaments.  And, if you are going to make the reader go through that much text, then you must entertain that reader to the end.  Else, after a certain length, you've wasted their time and bored them which is of course unforgivable.

I have to say this was well crafted all the way through but it does push the boundaries. Nonetheless, I was entertained beginning to end so it succeeds with this reader.

I would have liked more Clarice in the story, but she does enter the story at the perfect time.

I'm mostly familiar with the Jason mythos from CBUB reads as I've only ever watched the first two movies.  This explains what is going on in the franchise and the characters involved so well that I did not feel like I was missing anything at all by not having seen these installments of Friday the Thirteenth.

Thanks for the great read, looking forward to the next match.

I'll take Clarice for the win.

This means so much! 

I’m working on my next match and I’ve definitely taken into mind your comments about length! It’s always something I’ve struggled with as a writer in general. But I guess a part of it for me is the mindset that ‘it’s finished when it’s finished’ 

I hope you’ll enjoy the second entry just as much ❤️

Creative start to the tournament this month. I like the idea and how the two characters intertwine. It feels believable and a lot like an actual movie. Plus it doesn't hurt that I'm a fan of Friday the 13th franchise.

No errors in the setup, but if I'm honest I found myself lacking here. The length wasn't an issue but I do feel this didn't entertain me enough. A lot of the first half felt like summary of the last movie. Which is understandable because you want your audience to know what happened, I just think it was the way it was presented maybe? Idk, something wasn't jiving for me.

Glad to see another match, ND! Keep them coming.

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
CBUB Match Judge : 5 Stars x 2
CBUB Match Judge : 2 Stars x 2

FPA Calculation:
8 + 0 + 0 + 2 + 0 = 10 Total Votes
( (8 * 5) + (0 * 4) + (0 * 3) + (2 * 2) + (0 * 1) ) = 44 Total Stars Score
44 / 10 = 4.40 Total Rating

MATCH SCORE
Roy Burns (Fri. 13th: A New Beginning): 2
Clarice Starling: 9

12 hours ago, ND7 said:

Man, 2 stars seems kinda harsh but I’ll take it all the same lol

That's my bad. I thought I had put it at three stars when I read it. I don't know how that happened.  Sorry about that

12 hours ago, SSJRuss said:

That's my bad. I thought I had put it at three stars when I read it. I don't know how that happened.  Sorry about that

No worries, I can re-calculate the total when I'm doing the scores at month end.