Hollow vs. X-23
MATCH SCORE
Hollow: 2
X-23: 5

Zeorymer vs. Crimson Typhoon
MATCH SCORE
Zeorymer: 2
Crimson Typhoon: 4

Match 13359 The Dragon Ball Universe vs. Greek Pantheon (Mythology)

Culwych1

Match looks good from a glance, Culwych. I'll check it out in a bit.

You have to vote on a winner first. From there, the Rate option will pop up.

I did, but it wasn't there.

Huh, that's unusual. Maybe try to vote again. You'll be told that you already voted on this match, but the Rate It options should show right below.

Nope, this is there though "To use the the sites member features create an Electricferret Account."

Wow, even weirder. That might be a bug that Fox should probably know about.

I've encountered that same bug a couple of times, just log out and log back in, I haven't encountered any time where that didn't fix the 'bug' for me.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the site not properly reading you as logged in, when you have remained logged in for a long time, without actually having the site open in your browser, since fox said something about remembering to log out when you're finished on the site for now a while ago, though how it actually works, I'm not sure.

Guest lordkingofemperors

The Greek pantheon includes Gaia (the Earth) and Uranus (the Sky) so the Greek pantheon wins because you can't blow up the sky.

Guest MarvelFan15

Zeus -

- Zeus is limited in that he cannot change something the Fates have ordained. He was overpowered once by the monster, Typhon so there is the possibility of stronger beings in the Greek Myth universe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this alternates, though. Sometimes he is depicted as being able to command the Fates, so I'm not entirely sure what we should have him do in this battle. If he's capable of commanding fate...well, then the DBZers loose pretty horribly if Zeus records their loss in their destiny.

Guest Dinsdale Piranha

The Greek pantheon includes Gaia (the Earth) and Uranus (the Sky) so the Greek pantheon wins because you can't blow up the sky.

Actually, no. The Pantheon technically refers to the 12 ruling Olympians and doesn't include the myriads of lesser gods or beings like the titans. Gaia and Uranos are technically titans, not Olympians and not part of the Pantheon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this alternates, though. Sometimes he is depicted as being able to command the Fates, so I'm not entirely sure what we should have him do in this battle. If he's capable of commanding fate...well, then the DBZers loose pretty horribly if Zeus records their loss in their destiny.

I could be wrong, but I think that Zeus controlling the fates is something you only see in fairly modern sources. In Greek drama, Fate is more powerful than even the gods.

Guest TheDeadpoolOwns

In mythology...

Olympians - There are several powers that all the Olympians seem to have in common.

- Shape-changing into animals, plants, disguising themselves as mortals, etc. While each Olympian has favorite forms, there doesn't seem to be any practical limit to the variety.

- Transforming mortals into plants, animals, inanimate objects, changing their gender, etc. The only limit I am aware of here is that one Olympian does not seem able to restore the original shape of someone another Olympian has transformed.

- Immortality, which for them seems to be more than not again. When the hero Achilles was born his mother washed away all his mortality in the Styx. After that, no mortal weapon could hurt him, except for his heel which missed getting the treatment. The Olympians are like this. Godly weapons can harm them but even those won't kill them. They can be eaten, beheaded, etc. and still live until their immortality is removed. Presumably SF weapons or extreme modern weapons like thermonuclear devices might harm them but that's impossible to judge based on the myths.

- Hephaestus weapons and armor. If the Olympians are arrayed for battle, it is likely that they won't come without armor. This is made by Hephaestus and is, if not indestructible and impenetrable, the next best thing. The word "adamantine" is used to describe the armor he makes, suggesting nothing can breach them.

- Divine strength. The level of the strength is not known for most of the Olympians but it is vast.

Zeus - When Heracles became immortal and came to Olympus he wrestled Zeus to a standstill, so they are roughly equal in strength. None of the other Olympians could match this. If we want to measure this, Heracles' greatest feat of strength was to bear the weight of the earth (or the sky) on his shoulders. This could be considered comparable to the scan in several recent threads of Superman bench-pressing a weight equivalent to the earth. This suggests that Atlas, Heracles, and Zeus would all have roughly Superman-level strength.

- Zeus' weapon is the thunderbolt. He keeps them in quiver and has an eagle who brings him fresh bolts when the quiver is empty. His use of the thunderbolt and his role as sky-father suggests control over weather, though you don;t see him using this in the myths that much.

- His shield is the Aegis (which he sometimes loaned to Athena.) It is covered with the hide of the primordial she-goat Adhumbla and (supposedly) nothing can penetrate it. After Perseus slew Medusa, her face was placed on the shield and anyone who looks on it is turned to stone.

- Zeus is limited in that he cannot change something the Fates have ordained. He was overpowered once by the monster, Typhon so there is the possibility of stronger beings in the Greek Myth universe.

Poseidon - Close to Zeus in strength but not equal, master of the oceans and creator of earthquakes and storms. He has the power to change his shape, or that of mortals, similar to Zeus. He wields a trident forged by Hephaestus.

Hera - Very powerful but had to be saved from a giant by Heracles in the war with he sons of Gaia. I don't find any special weapons or warlike powers assigned to her. She seems to have stayed away from fighting when possible.

Hermes - His special combat attribute was his speed which was augmented by his winged sandals. He could travel anywhere, even between the worlds, instantly, or maybe almost instantly.

Hephaestus - Humpbacked but very strong, his big contribution is his ability to forge irresistible weapons (even Zeus' thunderbolts are made on his forge) invulnerable armor, and amazingly complex devices, like the life-like metal automatons who assisted him and the golden net trap that captured his wife, Aphrodite, in flagrante delicto with her lover Ares. The Olympians were unable to free themselves.

Aphrodite - She's a lover, not a fighter, but can cause a lot of morale disruption. She is irresistibly beautiful and wears a girdle forged by her husband that makes her even moreso. She will be even worse if she borrows her son Eros' bow and arrows. The golden arrows cause unquenchable sexual desire and the lead ones cause violent hatred. She could potentially get the Z fighters fighting each others, or worse, make Vegeta fall in love with Goku.

Dionysus - Ropes of any kind will not bind him, he has turned into a lion or panther in battle, and he is berserk, bat-shit crazy.

Apollo and Artemis - Their weapons are bows (gold and silver respectively) whose shafts strike like rays of light. In addition to physical damage they can cause disease or madness.

Demeter - While she is powerful and controls the fertility of the earth, she doesn't seem to have any special weapons or battle attributes.

Athena - Her weapon is the spear and she is the best strategist/tactician of the Olympians with the possible exception of Zeus. She is an outstanding fighter.

Ares - The god of war is strong, and a fierce fighter, though in the Iliad, Athena kicks his butt.

---------------------------------------------------

Heracles - Strength is discussed above. He wields a club and a bow. His arrows are dipped in the venom of the Hydra which is instantly fatal to a mortal and will place an immortal in perpetual agony. He wears the impenetrable skin of the Nemean Lion. Following his ascension to Olympus, he has the same immortality as the Olympians.

Achilles is a peak human killing machine with armor and weapons forged by Hephaestus. His body is immortal except for one of his heels. IMO he can beat fighters like Hercule but will not be much help against the big guns.

Odysseus - Peak human fighter, his greatest asset is his cunning mind.

Jason - Peak human fighter. Not as smart as Odysseus. Especially dumb when it comes to relationships.

Perseus - Peak human fighter with lots of nice toys: adamantine sword, helm of shadows (makes the wearer invisible to gods or mortals), winged sandals (flight and Hermes-like speed) and mirror-like adamantine shield.

Theseus - Peak human fighter who seems to have some degree of superhuman strength. Accounts differ about whether he killed the Minotaur with his fists, a sword, or wrestled it down and then used the sword.

All that info, and I didn't know any of it. We learned about the Greek Gods in Social Studies last year, and it's already gone? MY BRAIN LET ME FORGET THAT!?

My-brain-you-have-failed-me1.jpg

Another very good set-up, Culwych. I do have one issue, though: the set-up mentions locations from our Earth as being on DBZ's Earth, when it's been made pretty clear that such locations don't exist in DBZ.

As for the match, I'd have to agree with several people here. It's really pointless to debate who'd win here until we know which version of the Greek Pantheon is invading DBZ's Earth.

Guest Dinsdale Piranha

There was a character in the Supreme Kai's world who looked kind of like a Heracles knock-off. I don't remember his name but he was introduced to Goku as someone who was the reality behind a lot of the myths and hero stories of Earth. This was right after the Cell storyline when Goku had died for the second time and he seemed roughly equal to Goku at that stage.

If this guy (sorry that I can't remember the name) is the Heracles of this world, and the Pantheon can be judged using him as a standard, the more powerful characters like Majin Buu and Brolly should win.

My favorite modern version of the Pantheon BTW, is the DC version from the Woldman/Perez Teen Titans and the Perez Wonder Woman. They took a lot of effort in getting the mythology right. I was disappointed that we never got to see that version of Zeus go head to head with Superman or Darksied. They teased an Olympus vs. Apokalips storyline in Wonder Woman but it never materialized. :(

Wow, thanks for all the comments on this one, didn't expect so many so fast. In regards to the questions about which version of the Pantheon this is, I assumed the most common interpretation of the classical legends which tends to be the Homeric account (heavily taken from other versions anyway).

See Dinsdale Piranha's fantastic recap above which seems to cover quite a bit!

Zeus - When Heracles became immortal and came to Olympus he wrestled Zeus to a standstill, so they are roughly equal in strength. None of the other Olympians could match this. If we want to measure this, Heracles' greatest feat of strength was to bear the weight of the earth (or the sky) on his shoulders. This could be considered comparable to the scan in several recent threads of Superman bench-pressing a weight equivalent to the earth. This suggests that Atlas, Heracles, and Zeus would all have roughly Superman-level strength.

- Zeus' weapon is the thunderbolt. He keeps them in quiver and has an eagle who brings him fresh bolts when the quiver is empty. His use of the thunderbolt and his role as sky-father suggests control over weather, though you don;t see him using this in the myths that much.

- His shield is the Aegis (which he sometimes loaned to Athena.) It is covered with the hide of the primordial she-goat Adhumbla and (supposedly) nothing can penetrate it. After Perseus slew Medusa, her face was placed on the shield and anyone who looks on it is turned to stone.

Hermes - His special combat attribute was his speed which was augmented by his winged sandals. He could travel anywhere, even between the worlds, instantly, or maybe almost instantly.

Perseus - Peak human fighter with lots of nice toys: adamantine sword, helm of shadows (makes the wearer invisible to gods or mortals), winged sandals (flight and Hermes-like speed) and mirror-like adamantine shield.

Minor nitpick. The winged sandals Perseus used where the same one that Hermes uses, and they are unique. Therefor you cannot have them both use them at the same time.

Also the shield Perseus used where the Aegis, which also is unique

Guest Dinsdale Piranha

Minor nitpick. The winged sandals Perseus used where the same one that Hermes uses, and they are unique. Therefor you cannot have them both use them at the same time.

Also the shield Perseus used where the Aegis, which also is unique

Ah! I should have remembered about the sandals. I didn't know that about the shield, thanks. The Helm of Shadows is Hades' item, but as he's not in the fight it doesn't matter.

Perseus is one of my least favorite heroes for this reason. Others, like Heracles and Theseus, have to rely on their courage, wits and strength. Perseus is loaned so many over powered weapons.

"Son, you must prove your manhood by killing that bear."

"A bear? Gosh, dad, isn't that kind of dangerous."

"Don't worry, son, we have him chained in the bottom of that pit over there. Here's an AK-47 and half a dozen hand grenades and a Green Beret to supervise you. Now, hurry back so we can celebrate your heroism." :blink:

Ah! I should have remembered about the sandals. I didn't know that about the shield, thanks. The Helm of Shadows is Hades' item, but as he's not in the fight it doesn't matter.

Perseus is one of my least favorite heroes for this reason. Others, like Heracles and Theseus, have to rely on their courage, wits and strength. Perseus is loaned so many over powered weapons.

"Son, you must prove your manhood by killing that bear."

"A bear? Gosh, dad, isn't that kind of dangerous."

"Don't worry, son, we have him chained in the bottom of that pit over there. Here's an AK-47 and half a dozen hand grenades and a Green Beret to supervise you. Now, hurry back so we can celebrate your heroism."

So true. That's why I've always rated Theseus over Perseus in that his feats are all that more impressive.

hmmmm.... this is the third "F" I have seen on a match that is most definitely not deserving of it. Seems we have the case of another phantom "F'er" going around again.

hmmmm.... this is the third "F" I have seen on a match that is most definitely not deserving of it. Seems we have the case of another phantom "F'er" going around again.

Damn, that hurt my rating. Ah well, will have fun bringing it back up with more setups.