Steve (Minecraft): 2
Jackson Storm: 0

Archangel vs. Gambit
MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

CBUB June Challenge!!!

treacherous

Howdy boys and girls. I'm back and ready to start the June CBUB Monthly Challenge. What started here... http://www.electricf...=0

...is back. I'm ready to see some new faces step up and earn the coveted Hall of Fame. So, let's see what the CBUB is made of and get this party started, shall we?

The Premise

Monthly, a writing challenge will be posted on this portion of the forums. Anybody who wants to write on the CBUB is able to participate. To participate simply create a match that follows the challenge rules to the CBUB main page. Then post a link to that fight on this page. Only one entry per contestant. There will be a two week deadline to post your match. Miss the deadline? Better luck next month. Five judges will pick their favorite matches based on creativity, uniqueness and all that writing mumbo jumbo. The Top Three winners will be announced here with the main winners fight going to the Official CBUB Hall Of Fame board as the writer of the month.

The Judges

Ruinus, Culwych, Lonewolf, Darkender and Yours Truly

The Deadline

The June Challenge will take place between the days of June 11th through the 22nd.

The Challenge/Rules

Betrayal: Two fomerly good friends end up on opposite sides of a conflict. Doesn't matter what, a war, a battle, a dance competition, whatever. Two friends end up fighting in some way.

So start your engines and start plotting your reign over the CBUB. Challenge starts Monday.

Heh, nobody even posted in the Theme Pool this time.

Alright, I'll see what I can come up with.

That was my fault. Didn't really advertise. I picked one Ruinus threw in there. Regardless, I hope you guys are participating, because at the half of the year I am going to do a Contest of Champions with the past winners.

Watch somebody role-reverse Prof. X and Magneto. :D

Aaaaaawwwweeee snapz!

A new CBUB Monthly Challenge? I think I've secured my spot among the famed procrastinators. Time to dig deep for that inner writer-self. Good luck fellow writers!

Guest Redemption X

I'm joining in.

I have the match saved, will write the setup later. With the new computer up and running, this hopefully won't take as long as the May challenge entry.

Also, it's gonna be another Universe Beta match, so you may want to do research on that. The two characters that I picked aren't friends in canon, but they are friends (and teammates) in Universe Beta.

Guest bigballerju

Funny the challenge didn't mention anything about Universe beta. You may want to check that first to be sure it's okay.

Guest Redemption X

I read the rules. I never, not once, read a rule that said "the friends have to be from the same canonical universe". In any case, I have the match saved, so all I have to do is write the setup now.

Guest LoneWolf

You can do what you want with the characters, it is YOUR match after all. You can have Silver Surfer be Sabretooth's brother, or Green Arrow's uncle or say Cyclop's visor now shoots ice and he rides in a flying wheelchair, whatever.. no limits. Naturally it must be -explained- though.

Guest Redemption X

Do I really need to go into the history of Universe Beta, or the backstory for the Alpha Team? Just search for "Alpha Team" in the archives.

If you are still unwilling to do so:

In Universe Beta, there exist a special breed of humans, the Changers. As you all know, evolution is constantly moving forward, always advancing. In Universe Beta, evolution has taken a new leap forward, creating Changers, men and women and children born with superhuman abilities. Professor Tobin Wozzeck is an elderly Changer with the power of reality-warping who has dedicated his life to a single cause: he gathers teenage Changers from all across the U.S.A., Changers who have no real aim and purpose in life, and gives them shelter in his mansion. There, he trains Changers so they can use their powers to protect humanity from all evil. They are the Alpha Team, his special group of superheroes. The Alpha Team consists of:

-Violet Parr from "The Incredibles" (the team leader), code-named "Lady Incredible"

-Carrie White from "Carrie" (the movie AND the book), code-named "Godchild"

-Charlie McGee from "Firestarter" (the movie AND the book), code-named "Flamebird"

-David Rice from "Jumper" (ONLY the movie), code-named, well..."Jumper"

-Jeremy Reed from "Powder", code-named "Voltage"

-Allie Keys from "Taken", code-named "Starchild"

I rarely use the codenames in CBUB in order not to confuse people. Also, Yun Sook from the book "Enormity" joined the team during the Guardians Era (her code-named was "Angel"), but my fight takes place in the Venturers Era so she won't be in it.

And, before anyone asks: the Changers aren't Mutants. Mutants are the product of the Celestials tampering with human evolution, while Changers are the natural product of unchanged evolution (both Mutants and Changers exist in Universe Beta).

There, that's the explanation.

While it's nice you explained what Universe Beta was (Cause I really had no idea), I think he meant that in the set up it must be explained. For this challenge we expect a little more from the writers' set ups which means you may need to add backstory to your fight if you want the judges that are reading to better understand what is going on. This will lead to a better grade. I'm still not entirely sure what Universe Beta is but I have nothing against it as long as it's a real thing.

Guest Ruinus

No chatidute, you write up your story in the CBUB Battles section of the website. After you've done that you then post a link in THIS thread to your fight.

Guest Ruinus

can one of the friends be under a spell or something

Like some kind of mind control?

Uh... I don't know, since it doesnt' really follow the "spirit" of the challenge this month. I mean, if the other judges are fine with it then so am I, but I would prefer genuine betrayals, not mind-controlling situations.

Guest Redemption X

While it's nice you explained what Universe Beta was (Cause I really had no idea), I think he meant that in the set up it must be explained. For this challenge we expect a little more from the writers' set ups which means you may need to add backstory to your fight if you want the judges that are reading to better understand what is going on. This will lead to a better grade. I'm still not entirely sure what Universe Beta is but I have nothing against it as long as it's a real thing.

Universe Beta is the name I give to the universe where my CBUB fights and (now deleted) Deviantart stories are set.

It's a "merged" universe composed of DC, Marvel, Top Cow, Image, Naruto, Stephen King, the movie "Kick Ass", Harry Potter, dagan54452's Megatopia, and many more other things.

A key event in Universe Beta history is the "Tommyknockers Event". Remember the movie/book "The Tommyknockers"? Those aliens probes that gave you super-intelligence and several other powers? In Universe Beta history, in 1912, several probes were scatteted across the Earth. The people who came in contact with the radiation from those probes had their intelligence increased, or they gained superpowers, or their body was mutated so a change to it could trigger superpowers, or just their capacity for greatness was enhanced. Those people, of course, had children, and those children were born with Tommyknockers radiation in their system. Those children had children, their children had children, and by the 2000s, 85 % of the world's population is born with Tommyknockers radiation in their bodies.

How could Hit Girl have honed her body and mind to perfection being so young? Tommyknockers radiation. How could Jamie Reyes bond with the Blue Beetle Scarab without his body suffering side effects? Tommyknockers radiation. Why is Mia Dearden such a good archer? Tommyknockers radiation. Where do the "jutsus" that Naruto, Hinata and Sakura use come from? Tommyknockers radiation. Why is the Riddler so smart? Tommyknockers radiation.

Note the the Changers are NOT part of the Tommyknockers Event, but they still have superpowers, being the natural result of unchanged evolution (key word being "unchanged", meaning neither the Celestials nor the Tommyknocker probes tampered with their evolutive process, they are simply the next step of human evolution).

In modern Earth Beta history, the first superheroines were the Crimson Spider and Lightning (ALL of my work in the Fantasy Powers League is canon to Universe Beta), who had no superpowers but were still determined to fight crime, seeting base in Citiesville (from the Powerpuff girls episode "Town and Out"). Unfortunately, they were young and inexperinced, and not as skilled in martial arts as they thought, so the Joker easily killed them. However, that was peanuts compared to the tragic, horrific moment where the cruel god Jaeger Panzer (the Lord of the Underworld) sent the giant three-headed dog Cerberus to devour their souls. Jaeger Panzer thought nothing of it (he never cared for any of the souls of the deceased, seeing his position as ruler of the Underworld as nothing more than a role-playing game, so when confronted about his actions, he merely replies "it's just an RP"). However, this was the exact moment that MADE Universe Beta. The Crimson Spider and Lightning were hailed as heroines, with statues dedicated in their honor, everyone in Citiesville giving them the recognition they never had in life. But, most important of all, the world was finally ready to embrace heroes.

Thus, Hit Girl moved to Citiesville. She proceeded to clean up the decaying city from the crime and corruption that permeates it, making a name for herself as Citiesville's most famous heroine.

Meanwhile, G-Girl (from "My Super Ex-Girlfriend") moved to Megatopia, where she met the local heroines, Giantess Cassie (who could grow to giant size) and Megasis (who could also grow to giant size). Megatopia being a brighter and cleaner city, they more readily embraced G-Girl.

Eventually, Hit Girl met G-Girl when Livewire visited Citiesville and teamed up with Poison Ivy. This meeting led to a fast friendship between the two, offset by Hit Girl being a brooding violent vigilante and G-Girl being a more noble and optimistic heroine.

P.R.O.C.E.S.S., an U.S.A. goverment agency dedicated to target and combat planetary-level threats, decided that the world needed a team of superheroes to fight the threats that no hero alone can fight. Thus, the Venturers were formed: G-Girl (the team leader), Hit Girl (the second in command), Static, Black Alice, Sara Pezzini with her Witchblade, Jennifer-Lynn Hayden with a Green Lantern Ring, Giantess Cassie and Megasis. P.R.O.C.E.S.S. broke their affiliation with the team soon after the first mission.

Sakura Haruno and Hinata Hyuga moved to the U.S.A., and they learned about the Crimson Spider and Lightning. Moved by their story, and wanting to make the difference, they assumed the mantles of the Crimson Spider and Lightning, using their post-Shippuden powers to fight crime. Thus, Sakura became Crimson Spider II, and Hinata became Lightning II. They joined the Venturers soon after.

One night, Hit Girl was approached by Battle Girl (Angel Murphy, the daughter of the Savage Dragon from "Savage Dragon"). She just moved to Citiesville, and she was just starting her superheroine career, so she wanted to become Hit Girl's sidekick. Hit Girl accepted, and thus Hit Girl and Battle Girl became the closest of friends, with Battle Girl also joining the Venturers.

After Stature (Cassie Lang) was killed by Doctor Doom, Giantess Cassie and Megasis left the Venturers, not wanting their presence to be a constant reminder of Stature's tragic death. Two new members joined in their place: Darklighter and Xegito. Darklighter is Khameir Marek, the son of Vin Venture and Galen Marek, who was sent to Earth when he was 5 years old when his home planet, Eris, exploded (the "meteor" that originally turned Jenny Johnson into G-Girl was actually a chunk of the destroyed Planet Eris that arrived on Earh alongside Khameir). He soon made his way to an oprhanage, where he was raised until he became and adult and decided to use his superpowers (Khameir is the last of the Jedi Allomancers) to fight evil as the superhero Darklighter. Xegito comes from the planet Callutos, and when she was 6 years old, she was found in an asteroid by an astronaut. The astronaut (who, admittedly, wasn't very bright) assumed that she was a girl from Earth that was stranded there, so he took her with him back to Earth. Not being able to raise her, he send her to an orphanage, the same orphanage that took Khameir in. Khameir's example also inspired her to use her superpowers to fight evil as a superheroine. Xegito could grow to giant size, and could copy the powers of any superpowered being (which complimented Black Alice, who could only copy powers that are magical in nature), she had a low-level healing factor and the ability to learn any language by touching the speaker.

That was the Venturers Era

That changed when Giantess Cassie and Megasis were kidnapped by the Travellers. The Travellers were a group of women with the ability to grow to giant size (plus one with a gem incrusted on her forehead that let her warp reality at will) who were plucked from their respective universes and sent to Limbo by the Traveller, a cosmic entity of infinite power. The Traveller wanted to form a team of good giantesses to combat evil giantesses. However, the Traveller forgot about his team, and lewft the women stuck in Limbo. Years passed with them standed by. Eventually, their loneliness, frustation and grief warped their minds, causing them to see ALL giantesses as evil. The only one who manged to keep her sanity was the One True Alice (from Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland" book). That's where Bob the Minotor (who is a recurring enemy of the Venturers) found them, and sent them to Earth Beta. Immediately, the Travellers kidnapped Giantess Cassie and Megasis, with the itent of killing them. The One True Alice managed to escape and warned the Venturers about this. Sadly, by the time the Venturers arrived, it was too late. Giantess Cassie and Megasis were dead. The Traveller quickly arrived and erased the memories of all of the Travellers except for the One True Alice, and sent the rest of the Travellers to their respective universes while leaving the One True Alice in Earth Beta.

The death of Giantess Cassie and Megasis moved the Venturers so much, that they disbanded. G-Girl and Hit Girl retired from superheroics, Sara Pezzini gave her Witchblade to Danielle Baptiste and went back to her job as a police officer, Xegito joined the police force as Sara's partner, Jennifer-Lynn Hayden became closer to the Green Lantern Corps, Black Alice joined the Teen Titans, and Static went BACK to the Teen Titans. Battle Girl remained as a superheroine, but she moved back to Chicago, back with her parents, Sakura Haruno and Hinata Hyuga left the mantles of the Crimson Spider and Lightning.

Shortly afterwards, Megatopia was nuked down, and never rebuilt.

That's when the Guardians Era began.

P.R.O.C.E.S.S. knew that the world needed a group of superheroes to combsat large-scale threats, so they decideed to put together another team, a team that would be monitored by P.R.O.C.E.S.S. and would answer directly to P.R.O.C.E.S.S. Two known heroines were already P.R.O.C.E.S.S. agents: Agent Mia Dearden (better known as "Speedy") and Agent Kimberly Anne Possible (better known as "Kim Possible")..

P.R.O.C.E.S.S. had Sky Captain (from "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow") frozen in a block of ice, left there after his plane fell down fighting Baron Zemo back in 1940. P.R.O.C.E.S.S. thawed him out, and shot him with the Hego Ray, a device that stored all of Hego's powers (who had retired from superheroics long before). They fixed his plane, and thus Sky Captain joined the Guardians.

The next member to be recuited was Katherine Allogagan, a metahuman who transformed into a rampaging beast whenever she got angry. Katherine was disowned by her family (who were afraid of her and called her by the demeaning nickname "Katie Ka-Boom"), so she spent most of her adult life trying to find a cure for the curse that was inflicted upon her. Agent Lorekeep (the head of P.R.O.C.E.S.S,) got Katherine to join the Guardians by promising such a cure. P.R.O.C.E.S.S. gave Katherine's alter-ego a more serious name: The Nemesis.

P.R.O.C.E.S.S. then track down Calypso (from "Pirates of the Caribbean"), who, after being freed by Captain Barbossa's men during the fight with Davy Jones and the East India Trading Company, started living among mortals. Since Calypso was sworn to protect Earth, she agreed to join the Guardians.

Finally, the last member to be recuited was Jaime Reyes, the Blue Beetle.

The Guardians were closely monitored by Agent Leonard Liddell, the 23 year old brother of the One True Alice, who hade himself visited Wonderland several times (and also met the Venturers) and thus was familiar with the strange, the bizarre and the unexpected. He could also grow to giant size due to continued exposure to the "Eat Me" cake and the magic mushroom.

Meanwhile, after Camila and Micaela and Lucho were killed by Lord Voldemort, the world was left without Prime Merlinians. This was unnacceptable. Thus, Doctor Strange lured three women, Erica, Christine and Allison, to his Sanct Santorum, and in a ritual he summoned the souls of three witches who were burned at the stake in the 1600s: Margaret Isobel Theroux, Brianna Withridge and Madelyn Hibbins. The souls of the three witches possessed the bodies of the three women, allowing them to live in modern days. Thus, Strange tasked with the mission of training and mentoring the new Prime Merlinians. Using his connections, he got in touch with Hogwarts, and Professor Evangeline A.K. McDowell personally selected six Hogwarts students to be the next Prime Merlinians: Lulu Evenbrooke (a 16 year old Muggle-born Animagus Slytherin with the ability to turn into a tiger) , Selene Billing (a pure-blood Hufflepuff who was an expert on Herbology), Alex Everhart (a 17 year old pure-blood Hufflepuff who was an expert in Transfiguration, Charms and Herbology), Alice Kite (a 15 year old German-British pure-blood Gryffindor who was an expert in Transfiguration), Jenna Liams (a Muggle-born Ravenclaw) and Carisa Versipellis (a pure-blood Ravenclaw werewolf who was an expert at Defense Against the Dark Arts). Thus, they Portkey-ed to the U.S.A. (specifically, to a forest in Forks, Washington), where Isobel and Brianna and Madelyn trained them. Thus, with the three witches mentoring them, they became the Prime Merlinians, protecting the Earth against all magical threats.

The last chronical event of the Guardians Era was when Cassie Hack (from "Hack/Slash") was awakened as a Slayer. Rupert Giles was assinged as her Watcher, and thus Hack stopped fighting human slashers and began fighting vampires and demons. She eventually met Buffy Summers, Dawn Summers and Xander Harris.

It all ended when the Iron Man (not to be confused with Tony Stark, who this other Iron Man eventually killed) arrived. The Iron Man was really Karate Kid (from the Legion of Superheroes), who lived in a post-apocalyotic, devastated future where an event called "The Great Disaster" killed ALL superheroes in Earth Beta and wiped out most cities. Topaz, the last surving members of a special police task force known as the Net Hacks (although people also called "Net Ops"), had both a time machine and a Wikus Battle Suit (one of those suits of powered armor from the movie "District 9", named after the most famous human to ever wear one, Wikus Van de Merwe). Thus, Karate Kid put on the Wikus Battle Suit and travelled back in time to find out what caused the Great Disaster and prevent it. However, during his trip, the time portal collided with a magnetic field, fusing his molecules with the molecus of the battle suit, thus the suit and him became one, and he could never take it off. Worse, when he arrived, people started running away from him in fear. The Alpha Team arrived, and without thinking, Karate Kid shot down Allie Keys in a shower of bullets. This was the last straw. His mind snapped, he started calling himself "the Iron Man" and decided that the only way to keep heroes from being killed in the Great Disaster is for him to kill them all first. And he did. He killed the Alpha Team. He killed the Guardians (except Calypso, who abandoned humanity to its fate). The Venturers came out of retirement just to fight him, and he killed them. He killed the Prime Merlinians, and Madelyn, and Isobel, and Brianna, and Doctor Strange, all of the students and teachers at Hogwarths, all of the Slayers and the Watchers, all of the ninjas at Leaf Village, most of the P.R.O.C.E.S.S. agents (Agent Leonard Liddell and the One True Alice both escaped back into Wonderland, and remained there). He even turned the Fury (the powerful killer robot from Marvel Comics. THAT Fury) into scrap heap.

Thus, the Great Disaster happened, and Earth Beta was no more.