Gambit: 6
Dr. Facilier: 1

Lilandra Neramani vs. Agent L
MATCH SCORE
Lilandra Neramani: 2
Agent L: 4

What is the true purpose of the CBUB?

DSkillz

I can pretty well assure you this site started with who would win a fight? Not I wonder in character how these characters would interact. That Aside I have never faulted some body who wants to have that discussion. Or write extensive set ups, if that is what they want to do. What I have faulted people for doing is trying to force there way of doing things on other members of the board who may not have the same interests.

I'll give you credit though. Using the Comic Book Universe part of the name as your launching point for a come back was creative.

I'm sorry but it seems to me you are trying to force us ti adhere to your view and not care about the writing quality, you want us all to stop what we're doing? Even the offical matches have a great deal of detail in them in the end. There has always been a writing component even if the emembers weren't involved in the actual writing. Scenario matters.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In other words your bias is showing.

And hate to be blunt but so is yours.

You haven't even really attempted to see our point of view around here.

The set-up is a part of the site's acceptable standard of quality. The FPL has standards, and believe it or not the CBUB does too. It's all a part of how the "game" actually works.

Just to clarify are you ending the discussion via the word of god as an Admin or stating your opinion.

Because if the above is the absolute unshakable truth, then I see little reason to continue this thread(though I might anyway) and will watch in vain as the CBUB continues to be over run by elitist trolls and withers to the point that it resembles its dysfunctional relative the FPL or becomes a ghost town entirely.

If on the other hand its your opinion up for debate I'll happily continue this conversation in hopes that some good comes out it.

What I have faulted people for doing is trying to force there way of doing things on other members of the board who may not have the same interests.

Okay, you kind of have something of a point there. Why I don't agree with it entirely, you have something of a point there.

I am a writer by hobby, I have not written anything professional that has been published and usually tend to lean towards the fanfiction region of writing. I am not a professional writer, nor do I have a doctorate or degree in an English or Writing major. I have however taken Creative Writing in High School, but that's it. I just write mostly for fun, and for my readers to enjoy whatever it is that I write. I write mostly for them and myself.

While I do have standards for writing, I am not really one to force my views on how matches should be done but there is such thing as butchering. I've seen matches where people have written the characters, completely out of character and with the dialogue that only a fifth grader could come up with while playing with toys out from his toy box. Like for example, let's say I take... Batman and Ryu.

Batman flies across Gotham City and sees Ryu. He doesn't like Ryu because he thinks he's better than him.

Batman: Hey Ryu, you're an asshole! I can beat you up and I'm better than you!

Ryu: You're not better than me, bitch! IT'S ON!!

WHO WINS?

See? I've seen matches written similarly, or worse than that. Now differing formatting, style of writing, all of that is fine but when we're talking about something like the above posted where a potentially good idea has been butchered, then there are standards which at least should be met.

-Rakai'Thwei

I didn't ask for a lesson on how the site works. I asked why? Why bother these people? They are not here for your rating or critiquing. Why ruin their fun? They aren't hurting you or getting in your way or polluting you matches. Why scratch their matches? Why rate? why comment?

And "der 'cuz dis sites let mine" is not answer, just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to or should.

You do realize if no one rates a match, it gets scratched anyways?

I'm sorry but it seems to me you are trying to force us ti adhere to your view and not care about the writing quality, you want us all to stop what we're doing? Even the offical matches have a great deal of detail in them in the end. There has always been a writing component even if the emembers weren't involved in the actual writing. Scenario matters.

I guess I am gonna have to say it again. If you wanna write a set up, write a set up. If you wanna critique ask for one, but if people don't want those things leave'em alone.

See the difference is I'm not derailing threads and harassing people or even telling people they have to do some thing. I have never once said it should be mandatory that people don't write set ups.

Do ya see the difference?

Just to clarify are you ending the discussion via the word of god as an Admin or stating your opinion.

Because if the above is the absolute unshakable truth, then I see little reason to continue this thread(though I might anyway) and will watch in vain as the CBUB continues to be over run by elitist trolls and withers to the point that it resembles its dysfunctional relative the FPL or becomes a ghost town entirely.

If on the other hand its your opinion up for debate I'll happily continue this conversation in hopes that some good comes out it.

If you think us as critics are the worst of CBUB's problems let me introduce you to multi-accounters, spam bots, trolls, hackers, plagierists, etc.

We're not evil people, if someone says in their comments from now on that they'd rather not be critqued, fine.

But if they either don't care enough to put a decent effort in, or don't even bother to tell us anything even in the comments section, then what are we supposed to do?

(OT), I've looked into these people's profiles, and the lack of anything at all, much less a simple avatar, makes me very suspicious of them.

I guess I am gonna have to say it again. If you wanna write a set up, write a set up. If you wanna critique ask for one, but if people don't want those things leave'em alone.

See the difference is I'm not derailing threads and harassing people or even telling people they have to do some thing. I have never once said it should be mandatory that people don't write set ups.

Do ya see the difference?

You know if you don't like it here, you don't have to stay the general additude here is that the set-up is important.

If the grammar or spelling is so bad we can't understand it. You might have a point, but I doubt that's what you are saying.

No, that's exactly what I'm saying. If it's not readable it's not really acceptable.

Also, uh you don't need a paragraph to say Batman and Spider-man duke it out on a Chicago street. Hell you don't need that to say who would win in a fight. Nor does one need or at least should not need to know why they are fighting to weigh in on the out come.

You're confusing what's "necessary" with what's a part of the site's actual guidelines. For all intents and purposes, the CBUB is a game. Like all other games there are certain rules that need be followed in order for the system to thrive. Again, it goes back to what I was talking about with acceptable standard of quality. One paragraph of text is the minimal amount required to technically be considered a CBUB set-up; that point really isn't up for debate. Can you ask "Who would win between Batman and Spider-Man?" in less than a paragraph, sure. That's not the issue though, the issue is that a paragraph is what's "needed" for a CBUB match. I'm sorry, but that's just how the site works.

I've been over the problem with the lets use the Rumbles Board as a fall back/scape goat goat thing already.

Further how is the rating system a safety net?

And yet, I'm still not sure why you have such an aversion to it. It seems like it's just the thing for someone of your interests. *shrugs*

The rating system, was put in place by Serge to reward those with entertaining set-ups and those who wrote set-ups that were a "crowd favorite". The CBUB, apart from being a game, is also a popularity contest. The rating system, possess a way for members of the site to put their two cents as to the entertainment of the match. In other words, it's a part of the site's guidelines and by extension the CBUB's rules. So the rating system is a method that rewards those members who followed and sometimes went above and beyond the basic guidelines of the site. It is a safety net in the sense that people can maintain relatively anonymous identities while approving/disproving the quality of certain set-ups. In this, "good" matches would be rewarded (they get a higher FPA, more available characters etc. etc.). And those matches that were below the acceptable standard of quality would not receive the same benefits. Again, this goes back to the "game element" of the CBUB.

Basically the second half of your post completely contradicts the first halves attempt at bi-partisanship on the subject. You go from saying. If people just wants who would win, the let'em have it to. You must write set up or die. You go from don't rate people who don't want it to the board needs the rating system to survive.

No, not at all. The entire point of my post was: Do whatever you have the most fun doing, but there are guidelines that the CBUB has. I'm not really sure how's that a contradiction. In order for it to be a contradiction, the two ideas need to be in opposition to one another. If people just want to discuss who would beat who WITHIN THE GUIDELINES OF THE CBUB, then I have no problem with that. When I was talking about if people just wanted to know who would win, I was speaking more to the crowd of reviewers/readers/critics than the actual writers. That whole notion I described above has more to do with forum/debate etiquette than the guidelines of the site, and by extension the necessity of the set-up within the system. Furthermore, as I said before, there's a difference between "critiquing a match" and "using the site's rating system". The former would fall under the definition of being creative leaning while the other is simply a part of the site's mechanics.

In other words your bias is showing.

My "bias" lies in the fact that I know what I'm talking about.

This whole thread <---- Pointless.

If you don't like the system, go somewhere else. Endure the critics or leave. Why go on for pages talking circles around each other to no end? Everybody here enjoys the system and if you feel you have a better idea, then go make your own site.

Ugh. This post signifies how bored I am at the moment.

The following was sent to me in a PM. Thread briefly reopened:

Didn't even let me respond before you closed the thread. I See how it is. ^_^

You can respond here if you like. I'm not interested in continuing a cyclical argument though; what I've said in the topic remains true and like it or not that's simply how the system works. I've never been one for debates, arguments, flamewars (whatever you want to call them). Yet when there comes an opportunity for me (as a site administrator) to explain how the site works I usually take it. So by all means, respond if you wish but I won't be goaded into continuing this conversation.

Also, it seems like there are those of you who weren't complete with this discussion. By all means continue beating each other's faces in but personally I've said my piece and I'm done.

The rest of you though, have fun.

This is not a debate.

CBUB is a site created to discuss who would beat who. Simple. However, in order to accurately say who would beat who, you must give people reasonable specific details. Setting, environment, what era or version of the character, etc... If you don't, people cannot really give an honest opinion without being open and vague. Therefore, the original CBUB stated that you must do the specific things that Tarvius pointed out earlier. This was not Tarv making something up. This was rules. Therefore in order for people to have a detailed, comprehensive debate, you had to write a set up. There needs to be a set up in order to have a debate. It can't just be Batman vs. Spider Man. If it is, then the question becomes, is this Movie Batman, comic Batman or Lego Batman? Is this Armor Suit Batman? Does Spider man have his Tony Stark armor too? Where are they? If there is darkness, Batman wins. If there are a lot of phone polls and buildings Spider man wins.

Anyway, people need specifics in order to have meaningful debates. That is the MAIN purpose of set ups in the CBUB. Writing is a PLUS. Especially for you guys. In FPL, writing is a given and everything else is a plus. CBUB is the ying to FPL's yang (and our Yang is better). Regardless, you need set ups. The CBUB was made to encompass set ups. We rate these set ups, because they are meant to be there. If they weren't, the CBUB would be a dull place. I do not at all believe that a match should be done without a set up, because regardless of writing proficiency, you are not giving people anything to debate about if you don't have a well thought out set up. We are @$%ING NERDS! You can't just put our characters together and say fight. We need some details. That is why there is and always will be a set up section in the CBUB.

Now, if you really want to get beat down about writing...come follow me: http://www.electricferret.com/fpl/fplbattle/

Topic's reopened? Cool.

I mainly started this topic to get a discussion going on about the state and purpose of the CBUB, and it seems to have mostly went off without a hitch. As a result of this topic and the debate that kicked it off, many good points were made, there was just about no flaming, and, in an unexpected twist, Nova's actually put out his first real CBUB match in almost a year. ^_^

I may be getting a bit off-topic with this next statement. RiotGear and I didn't agree on many things here, but I think we do somewhat agree on one thing: the grading system is flawed, if only slightly.

The best examples I can point out are that an "OK" grade gives three fight points and to be eligible for grading, one only needs to maintain an F.P.A. of 2.0 after 10 matches. These two things alone make it all too easy to vote on matches, and it may pave the way for unwarranted grades, good, bad, and otherwise.

I think many people here give out "OK's" thinking they're giving out a grade fitting for passable or mediocre matches. What many may not realize is that an "OK" grade gives out three fight points, only one point less than a "Good" grade, and a full point above the minimal grading F.P.A. What I think we'll eventually need is there to be a two-point grade, and maybe name that one "OK".

Also, as mentioned, with the minimal grading F.P.A. at 2.0, it's all too easy for newer users that may not know how to grade fairly (or maybe users that just want to downgrade others' matches for whatever reason) to get in and start grading. Perhaps the F.P.A. should be one day moved up to 2.5 (which is the minimum average for a "C" on the five-point grade system, from which the CBUB's own grading system is based) or maybe even a bit higher. That way, the privilege of grading could be earned more fairly. Of course, though, this wouldn't much work without that two-point grade.

Of course, chances aren't likely that any changes to the grading system will happen anytime soon, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Now, if you really want to get beat down about writing...come follow me: http://www.electricferret.com/fpl/fplbattle/

Shamless plug, treach. Shameless. :o

Though I think DamagingRob might be turning...

EDIT: Minor correction.

Guest Dr. Pymp(mex)

The purpose should be to have a website where we can discuss the thing that brought us here. Not to act like this is logical, and then call someone stupid for thinking differently. There is a great thing about this site, is that there are people that have created this site out of pure computer skills, I am learning to do the same actually, so I can admire the work now more than before. haha I love this site, I never have gone to any other and heard of this site through youtube, when i commented on a video I saw.

Everyone in here is cool, minus a few people, but overall, the purpose of this site(not just cbub) is what you want it to be.