Re Verse: 3
Lotta Litter: 0

Rumble 20546 Killjoy vs. The Leprechaun
MATCH SCORE
Killjoy: 2
The Leprechaun: 0

Match 18596 Sam (Trick 'r Treat) vs. The Haunted Mask

broadwaybeyonder

It was Halloween night, and in a small, suburban neighborhood, bands of costumed children roamed the streets.  Creepy sounding music filtered through the air from the house displays, mingling with the laughter and chatting of trick-or-treaters as they looked over their candy. 

On the stoop of an abandoned house, Sam watched the evening’s festivities.  The black button eyes of his mask took in the sights of costumed ghosts and ghouls wandering from house to house.   All the jack-o’-lanterns were lit, and every trick-or-treater was being given their promised candy. 

But then a scream cut through the night.  Sam looked up the street to see a group of young trick-or-treaters racing down the sidewalk.  Keeping pace behind them was a girl in a mask and cloak.  The mask was green and grotesque, empty sockets where it’s eyes should be and sharp fangs for teeth. 

“Run, cowards!  Run for your lives if you value your souls!” the girl roared.  The voice sounded like it shouldn’t have come out of a young girl.  It was the growl of a predator.  A monster. 

Sam looked on as the girl came to a halt, her victims rushing to the safety of their home.  She was quickly surrounded by a group of older children who laughed mockingly at her.  They all were wearing shabby costumes that they probably spent a grand total of five minutes putting together, and each carried a pillowcase to carry their candy.  Sam was always annoyed by humans who didn’t show his day the proper respect, and had considered slaying the lot of them.  But unfortunately, their costumes, as pathetic as they were, protected them for what they deserved. 

“Get a load of this freak, guys!” the biggest boy wearing a pirate hat and eyepatch guffawed.  “Yeah,” said a girl in a crown.  “She looks disgusting!”  The masked girl breathed heavily as two of the boys drew closer to her.  “Bet you got a lotta candy with that outfit, freak,” one of the boys said.  “Fork it over!” 

“I have nothing for slime like you,” the masked girl hissed.  The group ‘oohed’ and laughed as the pirate stepped up and looked right into the sockets of mask.  “How about you hand over your candy, or we’re gonna show you how scary Halloween can gAAARGH!” 

The masked girl had grabbed the pirate by the throat.  His friends jumped back in fear as she whispered in his ear.  “Do you want to know what fear is?  I’ll show you what it is to know fear!”  The jaws on the mask opened and chomped down hard on the pirate’s ear.  The boy howled in pain as the girl in the crown screamed.  The group scattered in all directions, leaving the masked girl with her victim.  She spat out the pirate’s ear, then lifted him off the ground.  The masked girl gave another roar as blood from where the boy’s ear was dripped down on the mask.  She threw the boy into the air, sending him crashing onto a porch and sending a jack-o’-lantern splatting onto the sidewalk.  Sam tilted his head at the sight of the extinguished jack-o’-lantern, then turned to see the masked girl hurrying down the street and darting around the block. 

Carly Beth panted for breath as she came to halt in an alley blocked by a chain link fence.  She had seen and felt everything that the Haunted Mask had made her do.  She reached behind her head, desperately reaching for the edge of the mask to pull it loose.  But in her heart she already knew she wouldn’t find it.   The Haunted Mask had found her again, and once it was on, nothing would get it off. 

“Please,” she sobbed, leaning against the fence.  “I just want to go home.  I don’t want to hurt anybody!  Please, let me go!” 

“Silence!” the Haunted Mask snapped, causing Carly Beth’s body to stand up straight.  “Don’t you see, Carly Beth?  Ever since the day we were united, we were destined to be together!  For you to forever wear my face!  For you to give me the ability to strike terror in the hearts of all of those who stand against me!  And once the final stroke of midnight rings out this Halloween, we will never be separated again!” 

There was a thud that made the Haunted Mask turn back down the alley.  Sam stood before it, his burlap sack laid out in front of him.  The Haunted Mask hissed at Sam, who just stood unmoving.  “You are not a child,” said the Haunted Mask.  “I can smell something… older about you.”  The Haunted Mask sniffed the air again, then cocked his head.  “Samhain.  Yes, it is you, isn’t it.  What do you want?  Perhaps to free Carly Beth?”  Sam shook his head. 

“I thought not.  You don’t interfere with the fates of these humans unless they break one of your precious rules.  That’s the only thing you could show an act of love for.  So, what do you want with me?  And don’t make me ask again.” 

Sam reached down for his sack and opened it.  He pulled out the remnants of the jack-o’-lantern that had been smashed by the Haunted Mask’s would-be attacker.  Sam tossed the bits of guts and rind in front of the Haunted Mask.  It looked at the bits of pumpkin, then through back it’s head and laughed.  “For that?  Your anger has been roused over a broken jack-o’-lantern?  It was the fault of that idiotic boy, he destroyed it.  Kill him and satisfy your traditions.”  Sam shook his head again, pulling out a pumpkin lollipop as he did.  There was a hint of fear in the voice of the Haunted Mask as it watched Sam take a bite out of the lollipop, revealing a sharp, jagged edge.  “You dare threaten me?!  This is my night!  I am the true spirit of Halloween!” Sam held the lollipop ready to strike.  The Haunted Mask crouched down, it’s voice filled with rage.  “So be it!”  The two figures leapt for each other, eager to strike the first blow. 

OK:

Both characters are at full strength and fighting in a suburban street on Halloween night. 

For this fight, the Haunted Mask is given strength equal to Sam. 

Sam can try to free Carly Beth from the Mask, but can also destroy the Mask after killing it’s host.  

Game On! 

I would say that Sam wins because he is LITERALLY the spirit of Halloween itself. He's actually Sam Hain, or Sahwin-- a Celtic deity according to his backstory from the writers of Trick R' Treat. So... yeah. Sam wins this one if you ask me.

• Like 1

Another very good Halloween-themed match, broadway. Sam and the Haunted Mask seem to be portrayed well. With all the Halloween stuff you're putting out here and in Rumbles, I hope, then, that you might have a good idea for the Writer's Challenge

As for the match, it looks like Sam has this. Outside of having possibly being the actual spirit of Halloween and seemingly having more abilities overall, one of his abilities is to manipulate the fears of others. Since Sam is already in the Mask's head per the set-up, the Mask may almost become his plaything.

• Like 1

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - StormChaser
4.60 - Boratz
4.80 - DSkillz

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
14.40 Total Combined Score
14.40 / 3 = 4.80 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Sam (Trick 'r Treat): 4
The Haunted Mask: 1

• Like 1

THE BOTTOM LINE

The Haunted Mask moaned in pain as it leaned face first against the chain link fence.  It’s robe was torn, and on Carly Beth’s arms were bite marks and stab wounds left by Sam’s teeth and blades.  Sam grabbed a hold of the back of the Haunted Mask’s head, and forced it harder into the fence.  The Haunted Mask snarled and thrashed, but couldn’t break Sam’s grip. 

“You can’t destroy me!” the Haunted Mask ranted.  “Nothing can remove me from Carly Beth!  Only her pathetic symbol of love!  And there is no love in you!  Is there, SamhaAARRRGH!” 

Sam’s fingers dug into Carly Beth’s neck where the mask and her skin merged together.  The Haunted Mask shrieks of agony mingled with Carly Beth’s as Sam calmly went about his task.   Slowly but surely the outline of the edge of the mask became visible.  Sam clawed even deeper, pulling with all of his might. 

With a final howl, the Haunted Mask came loose.  Sam fell back slightly with the mask in his hands, leaving Carly Beth to collapse by the fence.  She clutched her neck and looked up in terror as Sam held the Haunted Mask in front of his face.  The mask’s jaws opened and shut wildly, desperately looking to bite Sam.  But Sam lowered the Haunted Mask and dragged it along the alley behind him, before shoving the mask into his burlap sack and tying it shut. 

Carly Beth was speechless with fright as Sam fixed his button eyes on her.  He advanced on her, Carly Beth struggling to try to get to her feet.  But Sam was in front of her before she could run.  Sam cocked his head at the scared girl and extended his hand.  In it, was a candy bar. 

Carly Beth looked at Sam in confusion for a moment, and Sam dropped the chocolate bar at her feet.  He then turned around, picked up his sack, and walked out of the alley.  Carly Beth cautiously picked up the candy bar.  She slowly ripped it open and gave the bar a sniff.  Rising to her feet, she took a bite of the chocolate.  For the first time that Halloween, Carly Beth took a moment to feel like a million other kids enjoying their trick r’ treat candy. 

Then she started running for home as fast as she could, praying that she wouldn’t meet any other real life monsters that night.   

• Like 1