Colossus vs. Strong Guy
MATCH SCORE
Colossus: 5
Strong Guy: 1

Rumble 20541 Batman (Nolanverse) vs. Judas Breed
MATCH SCORE
Batman: 2
Judas Breed: 0

Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

10:3 - Joan Wilder vs. Zorro

SEASON 10, ROUND 3

Joan Wilder

Slot: The Team's Man Eater
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Joan Wilder at this Wiki
Official Site: 20th Century Studios

Zorro

Slot: The Team's Lady Killer
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Zorro at this Wiki
Official Site: Public Domain

Battle Terrain
Romance Scenario: Robin Hood

This looks like an easy scenario for Zorro.

There's no doubt he can swashbuckle his way through this one.

On top of that, he's Joan Wilder's imagined type.  She is a writer of steamy romance novels where the lady's heart is captured by a mysterious hero type.

If she's playing Maid Marian, I have little doubt these two would end up an item.

I'd ship it.

1 hour ago, Peypeypeypey said:

This category is strange lol. If they fall in love I don't super understand why Zorro wins considering in this scenario it very much seems like a two way street

It seems to me that Joan "wins" if she rejects Zorro.

1 hour ago, Peypeypeypey said:

This category is strange lol. If they fall in love I don't super understand why Zorro wins considering in this scenario it very much seems like a two way street

43 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

Personally I think the whole lady-killer vs man-eater is kinda sexiest. Like if the guy successfully seduces the girl he’s applauded and rewarded, but if the women gives in to the guy’s advances it’s considered a bad thing and she is penalized for it. It’s kinda promoting the stereotype that women have to hold themselves to a high standard or be labeled whores, meanwhile guys can sleep around with anything that walks and be called studs. Really I think it would have been fairer if at least half the lady-killer vs man-eater rounds had a reverse goal; the ladies are the ones doing the seducing while it’s the guys who have to have the self-control to not have sex. Thanks for reading, I’ll get off my soapbox now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

1 hour ago, DSkillz said:

1 hour ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Personally I think the whole lady-killer vs man-eater is kinda sexiest. Like if the guy successfully seduces the girl he’s applauded and rewarded, but if the women gives in to the guy’s advances it’s considered a bad thing and she is penalized for it. It’s kinda promoting the stereotype that women have to hold themselves to a high standard or be labeled whores, meanwhile guys can sleep around with anything that walks and be called studs. Really I think it would have been fairer if at least half the lady-killer vs man-eater rounds had a reverse goal; the ladies are the ones doing the seducing while it’s the guys who have to have the self-control to not have sex. Thanks for reading, I’ll get off my soapbox now.

While I was fairly certain that it would get flak, the point of the category is to evaluate romantic tropes.  Whether you are a producer of fiction or a consumer of it, romantic subplots are probably going to be a part of it.

Because we evaluate fiction and we evaluate writing (and some of us produce writing) it's interesting to think about what these tropes are and what kind of characters we find in them.  If you want to subvert expectations, you need to have a grasp on what you are subverting.

While I'm guessing there are not a lot of consumers of it here, the romance novel business is huge.  It is bigger than the Science Fiction, Fantasy and Mystery writers market combined. If you were thinking of writing, then romances can be profitable.

Romance novels are not perfectly egalitarian or fair.

Anyways, this was my attempt to try and have a discussion about it from a theoretical perspective by looking at these kinds of characters and tropes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fox said:

While I was fairly certain that it would get flak, the point of the category is to evaluate romantic tropes.  Whether you are a producer of fiction or a consumer of it, romantic subplots are probably going to be a part of it.

Because we evaluate fiction and we evaluate writing (and some of us produce writing) it's interesting to think about what these tropes are and what kind of characters we find in them.  If you want to subvert expectations, you need to have a grasp on what you are subverting.

While I'm guessing there are not a lot of consumers of it here, the romance novel business is huge.  It is bigger than the Science Fiction, Fantasy and Mystery writers market combined. If you were thinking of writing, then romances can be profitable.

Romance novels are not perfectly egalitarian or fair.

Anyways, this was my attempt to try and have a discussion about it from a theoretical perspective by looking at these kinds of characters and tropes.

Don’t misunderstand me Fox I got nothing against the romance genre, in fact I consider myself a hopeless romantic myself. I do like the creativity and originality of this category, all I’m saying is that it could have been a bit less one dimensional about it’s objective.

Speaking strictly from a CBUB tournament contestant perspective, I do think it’s kinda unfair to the contestants who picked women like the Chels, Chase Meridians, and others since their kinda being screwed over because they just happened to pick women who just happen to be interested in having a relationship. Meanwhile contestants who picked James Bonds, James Kirks or others get to essentially coast through the tourney because they managed to snag the biggest man-sluts of the website first. For example, what if every melee weapon vs long range weapon scenario started in a wide open area with no cover to hide, it would be really unfair to the melee weapon characters and CBUB users would be solely focused on finding the best long range combatants rather then finding the most well-rounded combatant.

Like I mentioned earlier, how much more exciting and/or challenging would it be if half the scenarios would have the ladies be the ones having to seduce the guys, while the guys would only win by being disciplined enough to resist the temptation. It would discourage users from cheating by solely looking for the biggest man whores they could find, while also encourage the showing of more bubbly, positive women, rather then solely focusing on the negative stereotype of the cold, man hating bitch. It’s probably too late to include them now, but if you decide to have another romance category next season, I would appreciate if you consider my idea.

Again I’m all for your idea of having a category meant to explore romantic tropes and what characters best subvert, zigzag, or play straight the tropes, but I do feel like we could learn more if extend the trope to include the views and opinions from both genders ideas of romance.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Like I mentioned earlier, how much more exciting and/or challenging would it be if half the scenarios would have the ladies be the ones having to seduce the guys, while the guys would only win by being disciplined enough to resist the temptation.

You bring up solid points.

The only fair and egalitarian way this could work is to have the male and female romance characters competing within their own groups.  Not matched against each other.

And then have romance challenges specific to those two different groups. Because, typically, men and women have different goals and different ideas about romance is.

It doesn't quite work when men and women are matched up against each other in romance challenges it seems.  Some experiments just don't turn out as planned.

Let's give give trying it that way in the next round and see how that looks.

• Thanks 1