MATCH SCORE
Helena Shaw: 2
Lori Quaid: 3

Rumble 20533 Demoman vs. Ogra
MATCH SCORE
Demoman: 0
Ogra: 3

Match 16655 Chel vs. Anamaria

Anamaria leaned on the table in the shack of Tia Dalma, gazing down in annoyance as the soothsayer slowly moved her hand above a pile of bones before her.  “Well?” Anamaria asked.  “Do you see anything?”  Tia Dalma looked up with a smirk.  “I see the remains of me dinner.  A very fine bird, indeed.  Sorry there’s none left to share, child.”  Anamaria folded her arms in front of her.  “I don’t have time for your games, Tia Dalma!  I have come here to ask for your help.” 

“And for what would you want help, child?” Tia Dalma asked as she leaned back in her chair.  Anamaria walked around the shack, being careful to dodge the bottles, pouches, and dead animals hanging from the ceiling.  “I know you have power, Tia Dalma.  Powers that men are afraid to ask you to use.  But I am here to ask that you use your power to give me what I want: a ship, and a crew to sail her.”  Tia Dalma’s finger stroked her cheek as she thought.  “Ship? Crew?  Hmm, child, I fear you may have traveled far to come to the wrong place.  Perhaps you’d do better to find ships in Tortuga.”  Anamaria’s grip on the hilt of her cutlass tightened.  She spun around in anger.  “I’ve BEEN to Tortuga!  That’s where your precious Jack Sparrow marooned me!  For the second blasted time!” 

“Ah, witty Jack,” Tia Dalma chuckled.  “Always in trouble with a woman.”  Tia Dalma’s musings were unheard by Anamaria as she continued to vent her frustration.  “I was a fool to trust him again!  I thought he had changed, that he would finally keep his word and give me a ship of my own.  But no!  He takes the Black Pearl to Tortuga for supplies, then he leaves me behind!  I’d kill that drunken buffoon!” 

“Not such a buffoon, to lead you astray twice, yes?” asked Tia Dalma.  Anamaria fell silent and looked away toward the window and the bayou beyond.  “Ah yes,” whispered Tia Dalma.  “The mind may be fooled only once, but the heart can be tricked a thousand times by the same man.”  Anamaria walked with purpose back to the table and sat down.  “I’m not here to talk about Sparrow!  I want to captain a ship again.  But I barely had enough gold to book passage here.  Half the sailors on Tortuga wouldn’t sail under a woman captain, and the other half think I’m an idiot for letting Sparrow play me twice.  That’s why I need your help.  If you could give me some kind of spell or potion, anything.  I would forever be in your debt.” 

“You need not speak of debt with me, child,” Tia Dalma spoke warningly. “But I do not give without payment.”  Reaching into her belt Anamaria pulled out a small pouch and put on the table in front of Tia Dalma.  “That is all the gold I have left.  If you give me what I ask, half of what my crew takes will be yours for as long as I sail.”  Tia Dalma looked bored at the pouch and opened it.  She pulled out one of the gold doubloons and bit it with her pointed teeth.  Then she tossed the coin over her shoulder and brushed the pouch off the table, letting the contents spill out over the floor.  Anamaria looked at Tia Dalma in shock.  “Huh.  Worthless,” said Tia Dalma.  “This does not show me you heart.  Where did you get it?  Pointing your pistol in the back of some wig-wearing man on a dark night?  Standing on a street corner selling apples?”  Her smile grew suggestive.  “Or perhaps something even more valuable?” 

Anamaria pulled out her cutlass and pointed it at Tia Dalma’s throat, her eyes filled with rage.  “Hold your tongue, witch, or I swear by my mother’s eyes I will make sure those will be the last words you ever speak!”  Feeling the point of the blade against her neck, Tia Dalma’s expression remained undisturbed.  “If you cut out me tongue, then how can I give you spell?”  The pair stood frozen, until Anamaria gave a frustrated sigh and sheathed her sword.  Giving a comforting smile, Tia Dalma rose from her seat and came closer to Anamaria.  “I see you wish to return to the sea.  To be master of you own fate.  But the spell you ask for is powerful.  And if I give it, I must know the strength of you heart.  You courage.  You cleverness.” 

“Then tell me what I must do to prove it, and it will be done” Anamaria said determinedly.  Tia Dalma motioned for Anamaria to follow her further into the shack.  They finally came upon a rusty, metal cauldron.  It’s contents were swamp water and brown bile with a stench that made Anamaria feel ill.  Pulling down a green bottle from the ceiling, Tia Dalma poured the contents into the cauldron.  The red liquid smelled even more foul than what was in the cauldron, but once it hit the surface, the liquid began to become clear.  Apart from the ripples, the center of cauldron looked almost like a glass mirror, and within the reflection an image began to take shape.  It was a golden statue in the shape of jaguar in mid pounce, sat upon a stone pillar. 

“Long, long ago,” Tia Dalma intoned.  “When the Spaniards first found they ‘new world’, they told many stories.  Magical beasts, a fountain of youth.  And a city made of gold.”  Anamaria gave a humorless laugh.  “Huh.  El Dorado.  It was just a story, the Spanish found nothing.”  Tia Dalma held up a finger in warning.  “Just because nothing be found, doesn’t mean nothing be there.  There was a city of gold, and this statue was one of them greatest treasures.  And thought the city has long fell to dust, I know how to bring you to the jaguar.  Find it.  Bring it back to me.  That will be your payment, and I will grant you what you ask.  Are we agreed?” 

Anamaria looked at the statue until the image of it faded away in the cauldron.  She took a breath to steady herself, then turned to face Tia Dalma.   “Aye.  Now, where will I find this statue?” Tia Dalma pulled down another bottle as her toothy grin widened.  “Not ‘where’, child.  ‘When’!”  With a flourish she tossed the whole bottle into the cauldron, and a flash of light burst out of it.  Anamaria shielded her eyes, but even through her fingers she could see that the liquid had turned dark and was spinning around and around within the cauldron.  Flashes of light rose from the surface and collided with the rest of the bottles.  Suddenly, Anamaria felt the oddest sensation.  She felt the force of an invisible hand clamp down on her left wrist and begin to pull her forward.  She cried out in alarm and tried to step back but the magic was too strong.  She was dragged step by step towards the boiling cauldron, now feeling the grip on both wrists, her ankles and throat.  She gave one last attempt at a scream, before there was a second burst of light and a roar of thunder, and the lady pirate was gone.  Tia Dalma gazed into the still bubbling cauldron with satisfaction.  “Yes, child.  Now we see you heart.” 

The image that Tia Dalma had given Anamaria of the statue was, unfortunately, somewhat misleading.  The golden jaguar was sitting on a stone pillar.   But the pillar in question was some 20 feet tall.  On either side of it stood two temple guards, standing at attention and gazing straight ahead to the entrance of the temple.  Suddenly they heard the sound of feet making their way up the steps.  They held their spears at the ready, but relaxed only slightly when they saw Chel walk through the entranceway.  In her hands was a tray holding a jug of wine and two bowls. 

“Hey, boys.  Hot enough for you?”  The guard on the left gave a tired sigh as he gazed longingly at the wine.  “Oh yes.  This must be the hottest day of the calendar.  I can’t remember when it was…”  The guard on the right cut him off.  “We are here under orders from the High Priest Tzekel-Kan to stand guard over the jaguar until it has feasted on the sun’s rays.  It matters not how hot it may get.  We will stand guard.”  Chel sat the tray on the ground and started pouring wine into the bowls.  “And all of us appreciate that so much.  But I just figured you might be getting thirsty up here, so I stopped by the cellar to get you some of this.”  The guard on the left was about to step forward, until a glare from the guard on the right stopped him.  “We are not here to drink, Chel.  Get out of here and take your wine with you.”  Standing with a bowl in either hand, Chel held them out to the guards.  “Oh come on,” she said coaxingly.  “I’m sure old Tzekel-Kan won’t mind you having something to cool you down a little.  Better that than having you pass out from the heat.” 

“Oh, can’t we have just a little wine?” the guard on the left pleaded.  “I don’t know if I can make it to sunset if it keeps getting hotter.  Just a little?”  The guard on the right groaned.  “Fine.  One bowl of wine.”  Chel quickly moved toward the guard on the left with her bowls, but was blocked by the other guard’s spear.  “But you drink some first.”  Chel looked in shock.  “Me?  Why me?  Don’t you trust me?” 

“No,” the guard said flatly.  “I’ve heard the talk about you, Chel.  Things tend to go…missing when you are around.  You talk about how hot it is?  You have a drink of our wine.”  Chel sighed, but shrugged and lifted the two bowls in a toast to the two guards.  She took a sip from the first bowl, licking her lips as she set it down on the tray.  Then she sipped from the second bowl, wiped her mouth with her hand, and moved to set the bowl next to the other.  Suddenly, she froze, her hand hovering over the bowl she had set down.  Her eyes widened as she stared at her hand.  She started breathing shakily, until she became wracked with a heaving cough.  Her hands clutched her throat and she fell to the floor, her body twisting and contorting as she moaned in agony.  The guards looked on in shock, not sure what to do.  Until Chel started giggling, and kipped up back to her feet, completely fine. 

She gave a bow as the guard on the left sighed in relief.  The guard on the right just looked more visibly annoyed.  Chel picked up the tray with the bowls and held it toward the guards as she gave her sweetest smile.  “Satisfied?”  The guard on the right yanked the tray from her hands, taking a bowl for himself then handing the other to his partner.  “Enough of your foolishness, Chel.  You’ve done what you came here for, now leave at once!”  Picking up the bowl, Chel started backing out of the temple chamber, bowing to the guards and the golden jaguar.  “My only wish is to serve the gods.” 

Once clear of the entranceway, Chel quickly dashed to the left and gave a quick look around.  Seeing no else near by, she quickly spat out the wine she had drunk but had kept in her mouth.  She then poured out the remaining wine and gave a mighty throw that sent the jug flying over the top of the temple and crash somewhere on the far side steps.  It would be hours for people to find any trace of the wine now.  Chel started counting to herself.  “5.  4.  3.  2.”  A few seconds faster than she anticipated, Chel heard two thuds from inside the temple.  She rushed inside to see the two guards, unconscious and passed out on top of each other, snoring peacefully.  

Chel clapped her hands in excitement before she focused on the task at hand.  Stepping over the guards, Chel started making the climb up the pillar.  She grunted as she tried to find a hand hold in the carved stone.  Looking up she could see the silhouette of the statue against the sun and sky in the open ceiling.  “Here kitty, kitty,” Chel strained.  “You’re gonna be my ticket out of here.”  Suddenly, Chel heard the sound of thunder.  She looked up to see the sun had been blocked by a strange cloud surrounded by lightning.  Then a strange looking woman fell out of the cloud, and on top of Chel, causing both to tumble back to the stone floor. 

Anamaria was too furious to register if she was hurt.  She glared up at the hole in the sky until the lightning surrounding it flashed and it disappeared.  “You better hold up your end of the bargain, Tia Dalma!” she called to the sky.  “Umm, who are you?”  Anamaria turned and saw Chel, still hunched over on the floor.  Her mind racing, Anamaria struck a bold pose, one she had seen Jack do once or twice to keep people from thinking he was scared out of his wits.  “I am the Goddess Anamaria!” she proclaimed.  “I have come from the heavens, for I desire to take the golden jaguar with me, to set it amongst the stars!” 

Chel looked at Anamaria, the stranger’s hand upraised to the heavens and a look of divine seriousness on her face.  Then Chel burst out laughing.  Anamaria held her pose, but felt more than a little foolish as the girl giggled on the floor at her expense.  “Are you serious, lady?” said Chel, once she had finally gotten a hold of herself.  “Listen, I don’t know who you are or where you came from, but if you’re a goddess, I’m the queen of Xibalba.”  Anamaria dropped all pretense and turned to face the pillar.  “It doesn’t matter if you believe me or not.   The point is I need that statue and I’m going to get it.”  She grabbed a hold of the pillar when Chel jumped and grabbed her other hand.   “Look, I have plans for that kitty cat too.  Maybe we could work out some kind of deal?” 

“I don’t have time for this!  Let go of me!”  Anamaria shoved Chel back to the floor.  Anamaria felt a twinge of guilt as Chel held her head, but it was washed away when she reminded herself why she was there.  That statue was all that stood between her getting a ship and crew.  To sail the world again.  To get revenge on Captain Jack Sparrow.  She swung herself to another hand hold.  Years of climbing ships rigging allowed her to move up the pillar twice as fast as Chel had been, and within moments she had reached the top.  She quickly grabbed the statue, slid down the pillar a few feet, then jumped the remaining distance, landing alongside the still groggy Chel.  “Well?” she called out, her voice echoing in the room.  “I’ve got your precious statue!  Now how do I get back?”  There was another roll of thunder and the cloud reappeared, this time hovering vertically in front of the wall to the left of Anamaria.  The pirate strode to the cloud, not seeing Chel stick out her foot.  Anamaria fell to the ground still holding the jaguar.  Chel leapt on top of her, desperately reaching for the statue.  “I tried to be friendly, but you had to be greedy!”  Anamaria kicked with both feet and got Chel off her, but in Chel’s hands was her pistol, stolen during the struggle.  Chel held it toward Anamaria threateningly.  Unfortunately, she was holding it upside down. 

“Be careful with that!” Anamaria shouted.  “It could go off!”  Chel swung the pistol like a club toward Anamaria.  “Sure thing, ‘goddess’.  Now hand over the statue and tell me what that thing…”  Chel’s finger accidentally brushed the trigger of the pistol, firing it.  Chel yelled in alarm, and the distraction allowed Anamaria jump up and grab Chel, fighting to wrestle the weapon away from her while still holding on to the statue.  “Give me that back!  Are you trying to kill us both?”  The fight was interrupted by a flash of lightning.  The women turned to face the cloud as it started to fade away.  “No!  Nonono!” cried Anamaria.  She ran to the cloud but it had disappeared.  Anamaria pounded on the wall in frustration.  “Curse you, Tia Dalma!” 

Suddenly, another sound filled the air.  Heavy footsteps running up the staircases inside the heart of the temple.  The sound of the pistol had alerted the guards.  Chel ran to Anamaria and pulled the statue lose from her grip.  “That’s my sign!  See you around, ‘goddess’.  Say hi to the guards for me!”  Anamaria leapt after Chel, catching her by the ankles.  She fell to ground with a groan as the statue fell from her hands and started falling down the steps of the temple.  The two would-be thieves watched the golden jaguar tumble further away.  A large group of guards finally reached the chamber.  They looked at the still unconscious acolytes near the pillar, then the two women on the floor.  Chel and Anamaria looked at each other, then both raced out of the chamber and down the stairs after their prize. 

OK:

Both combatants are at peak strength.  Anamaria has a pistol and cutlass, and for the sake of this match let’s say she’s a step below Elizabeth Swan in skill with them (she can hold her own, but won’t be getting in Jack Sparrow level duels). 

Tia Dalma’s ‘cloud’ will appear throughout El Dorado, staying open for a few minutes at a time before disappearing and showing up somewhere else that is in line of sight with the previous location.    

The winner of this match must:

Evade the guards

Find and hold onto the jaguar statue

Find the ‘cloud’ and escape through it back to Tia Dalma 

Game On!

Chel’s First Official Match! 😃 I like the set-up. I give the match a 5.0. 🙂

• Like 1

Another incredibly written match setup Broadway! I really admire how much work you put into this, especially since poor Chel and Anamaria don’t usually get used. Much respect my man!

For this scenario, I honestly think Chel will have an advantage in that it takes place in El Dorado. Not only will she be familiar with the terrain and it’s short cuts, I think she’ll be better able to blend in and evade the guards then Anamaria. 

• Like 1

Anamaria was sadly underused in her own franchise, but at least her actress has gone on to make some fun films since then. Anyway, Chel has a homefield advantage BUT Anamaria has better equipment. Tough call for me I may honestly just flip a coin that's how torn I am.

Great setup!

• Like 1

This is fantastic, Broadwaybeyonder. It's crazy cause I was just thinking of doing a proper match for Chel against Esmeralda. I was just trying to think of the right scenario. What you have done here with this who is the better thief scenario is great. My vote is going to Chel because I feel like I didn't get to see Anamaria do much in her own movie as Mercenaryblade alluded to that would sway me to her side.

• Like 1

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
4.00 - Mercenaryblade
5.00 - Venom 2009
5.00 - Pizzaguy2995
5.00 - JohnnyChany

FPA Calculation:
4 Total Votes cast
19.00 Total Combined Score
19.00 / 4 = 4.75 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Chel: 3
Anamaria: 2

• Like 1

Happy that Chel got a win in her first Official Match. 🙂

• Like 1

THE BOTTOM LINE

The marketplace of El Dorado was in chaos.  First a strange dark cloud wreathed in lightning appeared on top one of the stalls.  Then the girl Chel came running towards it as fast as she could with the golden jaguar held tight in her clutches.  But before Chel could reach the opening a loud explosion was heard that sent everyone running for shelter.  It was Anamaria, firing a shot into the air to clear the area.  Chel paid no notice as she scrambled onto the stall only for the cloud to vanish once again. 

“OH COME ON!” Chel yelled in exasperation.  She leapt off the stall just in time to miss the blade of Anamaria’s cutlass.  Chel took off running again with Anamaria hot on her heels, and a troop of temple guards behind her.  “Stop them!  Stop those thieves!  In the name of Tzekel-Kan the High Priest!  Don’t let them get away!” 

Chel knocked over a table of a wine maker, causing several jars to crash behind her.  Anamaria pulled up short from the debris, allowing the lead guard to catch up with her.  Anamaria blocked his spear’s thrust with her cutlass, and another swing chopped it in half.  She pushed over some more wine jars into the guard’s path, and spun around to look for where Chel had gone.  In a moment she spied her,  heading up the steps of one of the temples.   Anamaria took the steps two at a time in pursuit. 

Chel ran out onto the precipice that jutted out over the entrance to Xibalba.  She ran to the edge and looked down at the swirling waters below.  She took a hesitant step back until she heard a threatening sounding click behind her.  “Hold it right there, girl.  Turn around, slowly.”  Chel turned to face Anamaria, standing a few feet away and pointing her pistol at Chel’s head.  Panting heavily, Anamaria held out her free hand to Chel.  “No more games.  Hand over the statue.” 

Chel responded by holding the statue behind her in her left hand, over the edge of the cliff.  “Look!  That stupid cloud?  That’s how you got here, right?  That’s how you get back to wherever you came from.  Swear that you will take me with you, or I drop this!”  Anamaria took another step forward, causing Chel to step even closer to the edge.  There was the sound of thunder in the air.  “I don’t want to have to shoot you, girl, but I’m either taking that statue, or I’m making sure that you dropping it will be that last thing you ever do.  Now hand the blasted thing over.  Now!” 

Chel gave a glance into the depths of Xibalba, seeming to consider Anamaria’s words.  Then she gave rueful laugh, and turned to look back at the pirate with a dangerous look in her eyes.  “You want the ‘blasted thing’?  Ok.  Fine.  Catch!”  Chel threw the statue into the air, causing Anamaria to run forward to catch it.  Chel then leapt off of the precipice into space.  Anamaria ran to the edge and looked in shock as she saw Chel, with the statue caught in her arms, fall closer and closer toward the whirlpool…

…right into the dark cloud that was floating above it.  “NO!” Anamaria cried, as a final roll of thunder sounded and the cloud disappeared from view.  Anamaria fell to her knees, knowing that she had failed in her quest.  But her mourning was interrupted as she lifted up by her arms by two temple guards.  They spun her around to face the High Priest Tzekel-Kan and Chief Tannabok.  “So,” sneered Tzekel-Kan.  “This is the infidel who would dare steal the treasure of the gods?”  Anamaria kicked and thrashed to free herself but the guards stood firm.  “We should send her to Xibalba for her desecration!” 

Tannabook held up a hand and turned to face the two guards that Chel had drugged.  “What say you?  Is this the one who attacked you?”  The guards looked sheepishly at each other, heads still aching from the potion.  “Chief, forgive us.  We remember that someone was trying to steal the statue and we know Chel was there, but we don’t remember this one.”  Tzekel-Kan gave a snort of disgust.  “Bah!  Chel is a troublemaker!  She probably was working with this outsider to steal the jaguar!” 

“But if they were working together,” Tannabok mused.  “Then why would they be chasing each other all over the city?”  Tzekel-Kan scowled as Tannabok turned his attention back to the guards holding Anamaria.  “Take her to the cells below the temple and keep her under guard.  We will need time to consider this matter.  Then we will see what punishment is fitting for those who steal from the gods.”  Anamaria’s eyes widened as she looked back toward the whirlpool below.  She redoubled her struggles to escape but the guards carried her away back into the temple.  Tannabok looked down at the entrance to Xibalba.  Tzekel-Kan stood beside him with his arms folded.  “Far be it from me to speak ill of the dead, Chief Tannabok, but our city will surely be a more peaceful and secure one without that impudent child around.”  Tannabok continued to stare into the waters, a tear running down his cheek.  “Yes.  A pity.” 

For Chel, her journey was quite unusual.  One moment she was falling through the air towards a strange cloud that led to gods know where, then she found herself gasping for air in a strange metal bowl filled with water.  Tia Dalma took Chel’s hands and helped her out of the cauldron, allowing her sit hunched over on the floor.  “There there, child.  Everything is alright now.”  Chel looked nervously at the woman with strange teeth standing above her.  She held up the jaguar statue, still dripping from the contents of the cauldron.  “Uh…I think you wanted this thing?” 

Tia Dalma chuckled as she took the statue from Chel.  She set it down on her table as she continued to speak with Chel.  “I most certainly was wanting this thing.  But I was expecting someone else to deliver it.”  Chel squeezed some water out of her loincloth and followed after Tia Dalma.  “Look, I didn’t know what was going on!  I just wanted to get that statue so I’d have something to trade once I got out of the city!” 

“Don’t worry, child,” Tia Dalma soothed.  “No harm will come to you.  But I must send you back to when you came from.”  Chel looked confused.  “When?  Just where did I wind up anyway?”  Tia Dalma paused and cleared her throat, knowing this would be a shock.  “Child, you have been brought some 200 years from where you were.”  Chel’s eyes widened, and she clasped her hands over her mouth.  Tia Dalma thought for a moment that the poor girl was crying.  Actually she was laughing excitedly and jumped in the air with glee.  “200 years?!  Hahaha!  Brilliant!  Imagine what the world must be like out there!  I can’t wait to see it!” 

She ran to the door but was stopped by Tia Dalma grabbing her by the back of her top.   “Whoa there, child.  You know nothing about that world!  It would be too dangerous.  I need to send you back to you home, where you belong.”  Chel turned to face Tia Dalma with pleading eyes.  “But don’t you understand?  I want danger!  Excitement!  I don’t want to spend my entire life stuck in that city!  I want be out there!”  Tia Dalma slowly tried guiding Chel back to the cauldron.  “I’m sorry, child, but it can’t be done.  You have much waiting for you in you time.  Now, come along.” 

Chel pulled away from Tia Dalma’s grip and held out her hands desperately.  “Wait a second!  You sent that lady to my city from here.  If you can send people whenever you want, then you don’t need to send me back right now.  I could maybe go out and explore, then you could send me back right when I left!  That way, none of my people will know that I was gone!”  Tia Dalma turned away to hide a smile of approval.  She kept her tone of voice stern as she responded to Chel.  “And how long would you be going exploring for, child?”  Chel twiddled her fingers nervously as she considered.  “Well, er, maybe something like, er, three years?” 

“Three months.” 

“Two years!” 

“Six months.” 

“One year!  And I’ll promise not to cause any trouble!” 

Tia Dalma thought for a moment, then turned back to face Chel.  “Very well, child.  I will give you one year.  But on this condition.  After that year has passed, you will come back to my home, and I will send you back to you golden city.  But you memories of you journeys will be hidden from you.” 

“What are you saying?” Chel asked agitatedly.  “You mean I’ll have an entire year’s worth of adventures and I won’t remember any of them?!”  Tia Dalma put her arm around Chel’s shoulders as she walked her to the door of the shack.  “Oh no, child.  In you dreams, you will see and remember what you had done.  But you must not take knowledge of the future back with you.  But don’t worry.  You will not spend all you life in you golden city.  Great things are coming, adventures that you will play a part in.  For that, you must go back, but still with an adventurer’s heart.  Are we agreed?” 

Chel looked out the door to the mysterious bayou, her imagination running wild thinking about what lay beyond.  She grinned and shook Tia Dalma’s hand.  “You’ve got a deal!”  The two women stood side by side in the doorway.  “Tell me, child.  Did you mean what you said?  That you would cause no trouble?” 

Chel’s grin grew wider as she crossed her fingers behind her back.  “Of course I did!  Don’t you trust me?” 

I like the ending. 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...