MATCH SCORE
Shark Boy and Lava Girl: 4
Freddy Krueger: 3

Match 16611 Terry Bogard vs. Kazuya Mishima

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART CXXXXI

842456394_Honokahand.jpg.4bcef6f5c88b12f79e0879ac9bfdd341.jpg

Inside the Meiji Jingu Stadium in Tokyo and in front of the onlooking Ryu, Kyo Kusanagi, Athena Asamiya, and Hinako Shijou, the young Dead or Alive fighter, Honoka took on acclaimed sumo champion, Edmund Honda. (REF: HONOKA VS. E. HONDA) Much to everyone’s surprise, the school girl copycat fighter was winning. Honoka flew through the air and landed a kick across Honda’s face. 

“Yoohoo!”

Honoka connected with a back forearm smash she had learned from watching Jann Lee and then landed her favorite jumping kick again from the opposite side. The mighty sumo was temporarily dazed. Honoka pulled back her right fist and charged it up. Her fist was engulfed in red aura as she swung it back and hit Honda with her strongest strike, just as she had done in her fight with Hinako. (REF: HONOKA VS. HINAKO SHIJOU) Kyo Kusanagi lifted an eyebrow at the sight of Honoka’s attack. The move launched Honda into the air and then flat on his back. Hinako gasped. When Honda failed to return to his feet, Honoka’s competitive spirit transformed into concern for her opponent.

“I am so sorry. Can you stand up?” she asked.

Honda chuckled a little before coughing and grabbing his chest in pain. “I’ll be fine.”

Ryu walked over to the defeated fighter and offered his hand to help him up. “It looks like you have lost this round, old friend.”

Honda took Ryu’s hand and pulled himself off the ground. “It would seem so. That fight with Goro Daimon really took a lot out of me. (REF: E. HONDA VS. GORO DAIMON) I was not in a good condition for a second fight.”

“Give the girl some credit.” Ryu looked back at Honoka. “Her technique is still sloppy, but there is definitely a lot of potential and power there.”

Honoka blushed.

“How did you conjure that red aura?” inquired Kyo. “It almost looked like a flame.”

“I don’t really know,” answered Honoka. “I just power up I guess.” 

“Well I was impressed by your fight. You looked great,” stated Athena Asamiya

“Thank you, thank you, thank you Athena. That means the world to me, coming from you,” Honoka gushed.

Ryu walked away from E. Honda and looked over the monstrosity, Gigas, again. “The question still remains where this guy came from. (REF: HUGO ANDORE VS. GIGAS) I certainly wouldn’t put it past Bison to construct something like this to do his bidding.”

“Perhaps, but he does not come from Shadoloo. He is a project of G Corporation,” a female voice explained from behind Ryu.

Kolin stepped into view.

“How do you know that?” Kyo inquired.

“It’s my job to know these things,” Kolin answered.

Iori stepped through the crowd and stood behind Kolin.

“Iori, you finally came,” stated Kyo.

“Be thankful I showed up at all Kusanagi,” Iori shot back. “Chizuru has convinced me that the seal to Orochi is in danger, and well we can’t have that.”  (REF: ALGOL VS. HEIHACHI MISHIMA)

“Who is this woman with you?” asked Athena.

“She is my assistant, Kolin. She has proven to be quite knowledgeable and a skilled fighter,” bragged Iori. (REF: KOLIN VS. MATURE)

Ryu immediately regarded Kolin with suspicion.

“That is no ordinary assistant. She is an agent of Gill’s Secret Society and can’t be trusted,” he opined.

Kolin rolled her eyes. “Ryu? How did I know that somehow you would be mixed up in this?”

“Right now I am not mixed up in anything,” Ryu corrected. “I came to this stadium for answers. My friends were looking for my help and I want to know from what.”

Athena spoke up to try to ease the rising tension. “I believe all of our goals are the same. Or at the very least are connected. We should try our best to work together.”

Iori smirked. “Whatever you say, princess.”

“All that we have to go on now is that Kyo and I were asked to try to remove Soul Edge shards from ancient warriors from the fortune teller, Rose. She told us powerful people would be after them as well.” Athena glanced over at Ryu. “My guess is she contacted these friends of yours, Ken and Chun-Li, as well and then they tried to enlist you.” Athena turned her attention to Kyo.  “Unfortunately, we failed. M. Bison took the warriors, we inadvertently released a demon into the world, met some ninjas, lost track of Benimaru.” Athena last set her gaze upon Honoka.” ..and now we find this girl being hunted down by Kazuya Mishima. I don't think I am missing anything. Anyway, It’s all connected, I can feel it.”

Kolin silently took in all this information.

“Well there isn’t much we can do about it just standing here,” stated Kyo.

“You’re right.” Athena placed her hand on Honoka's shoulder. “Would you be willing to come with us?”

Honoka beamed brightly. “Are you kidding me? It would be an honor. I would follow you anywhere.”

“Looks like we are working with them if we want answers, are you coming?” Ryu asked Honda.

Honda’s recent defeat had him feeling a little insecure about his ability to contribute to any major fight or battle so he declined. “I must return to my students. They depend on me and I have neglected them for too long to prepare for this event.”

“Can I be one of your students?” Hinako blurted out. “There is still so much I want to learn about Sumo and I know there is no one better in the world to teach me than you,”

Honda smiled. “Sure, I don’t have many students that look like you. However, I am always willing to help those who have a passion for it on their sumo journey,”

Hinako was ecstatic. “You will not regret this, I promise you.”

“Hinako, are you saying you won’t be coming with us?” Honoka wondered.

“Sorry Honoka, I can’t pass up this opportunity. Good luck saving the world or whatever.”

Ryu glanced over expectantly at Poison who was still tending to her musclebound partner, Hugo.

She immediately rebuffed the implication. “You aren’t seriously about to ask me to play hero with the rest of you, are you? There is no way. Sure, I want to know where this freakshow comes from that fought Hugo. But, not enough to work with the likes of you.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1151783790_battlesetting.jpg.b5cbbb06d7826d37e30106070b0c8ad9.jpg

“Burning Knuckle!”

Inside the G corporation building, Terry Bogard lunged forward with his fist, knocking down every G Corporation soldier in his path. The Southtown fighting legend was cutting through G Corporation’s security detail with relative ease. It very much reminded him of fighting his way through Geese Tower.

Terry felt bad about leaving Rose alone at the G Corporation entrance to fight Zafina, but the Italian mystic insisted he continued his trek to Kazuya Mishima. (REF: ROSE VS. ZAFINA) Even after Rose’s explanations, Terry was still a little unclear on Kazuya’s connection to the girl who tricked his brother into attacking and then being injured by Metro City bushinryu master, Guy (REF: ANDY BOGARD VS. GUY) and the mysterious Soul Edge. (REF: DHALSIM VS. VOLDO) However, Terry did know Kazuya Mishima was a bad guy and Terry was always willing to take down bad guys. He did wish that Mai Shiranui, Guy, and the others were still with him though.  (REF: LEI FEI VS. DHALSIM)

“Power Geyser!”

Terry decimated another group of G Corporation soldiers as he stuck the ground and caused an explosion of energy. A TV near him suddenly turned on with Kazuya’s face on the screen.’

“If you wanted to come fight me and make this your grave, you could have announced it earlier instead of destroying sections of my building.”

An elevator near the TV opened up.

“You will find me on the roof.”

Even Kazuya’s arrogance reminded Terry of Geese Howard. Terry stepped into the lift and ascended to the roof of the G Corporation building. He stepped out of the elevator and immediately saw Kazuya standing on the rooftop helipad with his arms folded. Rain from the storm (REF: HWANG VS. GUY) came down hard on his long black jacket, yet Kazuya remained stoic in his stance.

“We could have had this fight inside, away from the elements,” suggested Terry.

“I don't want to get blood splattered on my desk, and I don’t plan on being out here long.”

“Aren’t you even curious as to why I want to fight you?” Terry wondered.

“No,” Kazuya replied flatly. “I thought you might be a hired gun for the Mishima Zaibatsu or by that fool, Heihachi, but then I noticed the company you keep. The ones fighting on my doorstep. I assume you are here to try to stop me from acquiring what is my destiny.”

Terry stared at Kazuya intently under his red cap.

“In the end, whatever your motivation is is irrelevant.”  Kazuya’s red eye flashed brightly. “You will die all the same!”

You’ve told me before that you don’t mind us using scenes from the Fatal Fury OVA right JohnnyChany? I just want to be assured that’s the case cause I know Rakai will get on my case about it otherwise.

Regardless this will be an extraordinarily close match, both guys are icons of their respective franchise and were the protagonist of the first games in their series. Both combatants are pretty super human: both are bullet dodgers, can lift and break several tons of weight and have endured and survived several near impossible situations. Off the top of my head I can’t definitely say whether one can fully overpower the other in any meaningful stat, so I’ll have to really judge this by fighting styles and history:

Terry Bogard is a pretty well-rounded, Jack of all traits fighter whose technique seems to incorporate all sorts of martial arts like karate, kung fu, boxing, and kickboxing also. His main method of attack is punches, especially uppercuts, with some kicks every now and then. He is also well rounded in chi attacks, such as his Power Wave, Power Geyser, and Fire Kick. He learned how to fight at a young age, growing up an orphan in the rough streets of South Town. He was trained by his late adopted father, Jeff Bogard, and latter by his fathers own master Tung Fu Rue, both well respected martial artists in their days. Terry’s fighting abilities are quite legendary and well respected, he’s won 4 straight King of Fighters tournaments, defeating foes like Geese Howard, Wolfgang Krauser, Ryuji Yamasaki, Geese Howard again, Kain R. Heinlein, and his adopted son Rock Howard. While he never won the team based tournaments starting from 1994 onwards, he was apparently skilled enough to have developed a rivalry with Ryo Sakazaki, who is himself a tournament champion.

Kazuya Mishima has a pretty simplistic fighting style based on powerful strikes and brutal punishers. In canon he was trained by his father Heihachi in what is called Mishima style karate, which emphasizes a strong defense and timing, having arguably the best punishing moves in Tekken history. As a result of inheriting the Devil Gene from his mother, Kazuya has the ability to morph into his Devil form, giving him abilities such as flight and laser beam eyes. He was trained from a young age by his father, whose methods included throwing Kazuya off a cliff to see if he was strong enough to survive and climb back up. Understandable upset at this, Kazuya interred the first Iron First Tournament to kill his father, succeeding and taking over the Mishima company. However his daddy survived and beat his son at the next tournament and threw his son in a volcano this time. He was latter resurrected though and interred the Iron Fist Tournament several different times, while always a powerhouse and was declared the “official” winner of the 4th tournament, Kazuya has lost several times to other members of his family like his son Jin, his father Heihachi, and his half brother Lars. He was able to finally defeat and kill Heihachi during the events of Tekken 7 though.

Both guys have had their share of wins and loses, but both are ultimately known as some of the best fighters of their games in the end I would have to lean slightly in favor of Terry. He’s got a much greater history winning against powerful enemies, in particular his record against his personal enemy Geese is currently flawless while Kazuya has only recently evened the score against his dad. Also Terry’s fighting style has a much greater range of styles that can allow him to better control and alter the fight as opposed to Kazuya who more crucially relies on defense and timing. So I must give this my vote to Terry Bogard, though I wouldn’t be too bummed out if Kazuya does eek out a win.

Another good set-up, Johnny. Still not sure how Honoka beat E. Honda at his own game, though ...

As for the match, this looks like it would be a damn good fight, but it appears to me that Kazuya is a bit more powerful here. Nothing against Terry, but Kazuya's a dude that went toe-to-toe against Shin Akuma and survived.

3 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Another good set-up, Johnny. Still not sure how Honoka beat E. Honda at his own game, though ...

As for the match, this looks like it would be a damn good fight, but it appears to me that Kazuya is a bit more powerful here. Nothing against Terry, but Kazuya's a dude that went toe-to-toe against Shin Akuma and survived.

Terry is pretty powerful too dude. His Power Wave has destroyed an entire building and a large forest in the past and if we count the OVA (and JohnnyChany has told me before that he’s allowing them to be counted) he’s fought and defeated Mars the God of War. 

Looking at Terry's record on the CBUB, I gotta say he's got a an abysmal track record which doesn't do him justice at all... Terry should have a lot more wins than losses. But then again, I blame popularity or rather the lack thereof for him because SNK's Fatal Fury and KOF series didn't set a blaze like Capcom's Street Fighter did. So.... I probably am going to vote for Terry here, just to help him out there and the fact that the OVAs are being counted here.

On 6/22/2021 at 9:59 PM, Pizzaguy2995 said:

You’ve told me before that you don’t mind us using scenes from the Fatal Fury OVA right JohnnyChany? I just want to be assured that’s the case cause I know Rakai will get on my case about it otherwise.

Regardless this will be an extraordinarily close match, both guys are icons of their respective franchise and were the protagonist of the first games in their series. Both combatants are pretty super human: both are bullet dodgers, can lift and break several tons of weight and have endured and survived several near impossible situations. Off the top of my head I can’t definitely say whether one can fully overpower the other in any meaningful stat, so I’ll have to really judge this by fighting styles and history:

Terry Bogard is a pretty well-rounded, Jack of all traits fighter whose technique seems to incorporate all sorts of martial arts like karate, kung fu, boxing, and kickboxing also. His main method of attack is punches, especially uppercuts, with some kicks every now and then. He is also well rounded in chi attacks, such as his Power Wave, Power Geyser, and Fire Kick. He learned how to fight at a young age, growing up an orphan in the rough streets of South Town. He was trained by his late adopted father, Jeff Bogard, and latter by his fathers own master Tung Fu Rue, both well respected martial artists in their days. Terry’s fighting abilities are quite legendary and well respected, he’s won 4 straight King of Fighters tournaments, defeating foes like Geese Howard, Wolfgang Krauser, Ryuji Yamasaki, Geese Howard again, Kain R. Heinlein, and his adopted son Rock Howard. While he never won the team based tournaments starting from 1994 onwards, he was apparently skilled enough to have developed a rivalry with Ryo Sakazaki, who is himself a tournament champion.

Kazuya Mishima has a pretty simplistic fighting style based on powerful strikes and brutal punishers. In canon he was trained by his father Heihachi in what is called Mishima style karate, which emphasizes a strong defense and timing, having arguably the best punishing moves in Tekken history. As a result of inheriting the Devil Gene from his mother, Kazuya has the ability to morph into his Devil form, giving him abilities such as flight and laser beam eyes. He was trained from a young age by his father, whose methods included throwing Kazuya off a cliff to see if he was strong enough to survive and climb back up. Understandable upset at this, Kazuya interred the first Iron First Tournament to kill his father, succeeding and taking over the Mishima company. However his daddy survived and beat his son at the next tournament and threw his son in a volcano this time. He was latter resurrected though and interred the Iron Fist Tournament several different times, while always a powerhouse and was declared the “official” winner of the 4th tournament, Kazuya has lost several times to other members of his family like his son Jin, his father Heihachi, and his half brother Lars. He was able to finally defeat and kill Heihachi during the events of Tekken 7 though.

Both guys have had their share of wins and loses, but both are ultimately known as some of the best fighters of their games in the end I would have to lean slightly in favor of Terry. He’s got a much greater history winning against powerful enemies, in particular his record against his personal enemy Geese is currently flawless while Kazuya has only recently evened the score against his dad. Also Terry’s fighting style has a much greater range of styles that can allow him to better control and alter the fight as opposed to Kazuya who more crucially relies on defense and timing. So I must give this my vote to Terry Bogard, though I wouldn’t be too bummed out if Kazuya does eek out a win.

Thanks for the comments and you are correct, for my arc I am ok with anyone pulling from what they can because so many of the games have really thin lore outside of a few characters.

6 hours ago, DSkillz said:

The power of the vote for the hot girl lol. It's why I usually try to have them face eachother not only if they have thematic similarities but to eliminate the bias.

2 hours ago, RakaiThwei said:

Looking at Terry's record on the CBUB, I gotta say he's got a an abysmal track record which doesn't do him justice at all... Terry should have a lot more wins than losses. But then again, I blame popularity or rather the lack thereof for him because SNK's Fatal Fury and KOF series didn't set a blaze like Capcom's Street Fighter did. So.... I probably am going to vote for Terry here, just to help him out there and the fact that the OVAs are being counted here.

Yeah the popularity vote was always a major thing especially during the original CBUB run. Although I have never seen anyone use it as a reason to vote the other way before. 

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - patrickthekid
4.80 - DSkillz

FPA Calculation:
2 Total Votes cast
9.80 Total Combined Score
9.80 / 2 = 4.90 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Terry Bogard: 2
Kazuya Mishima: 3