Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

Match 16496 Angel (King Of Fighters) vs. Ivy

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART CXXVIX

zangiefff.jpg.9a19a8e333c12eee990e95d2a0af4c37.jpg

In a small coastal town in North Carolina, locals looked on with a mix of awe and apprehension as two burly brutes battled back and forth in the forms of Maxima and Zangief. (REF: ZANGIEF VS. MAXIMA)  Although it was quickly apparent to anyone paying close attention as well as the two fighters themselves that Zangief was simply stronger. The fact caught Maxima off guard that his ripped opponent would have even more immense strength than his impressive physique would indicate. Maxima went on the defensive more than he was accustomed to.

Maxima charged up his arms for one of his strongest attacks and prepared to shoot off explosive enegery.  He was caught off guard when Zangief knelt in front of him and launched the cyborg over his head into the air with ease. Zangief immediately transitioned into his quick double lariat and smashed Maxima on his way down with a crushing blow. 

“Spinning Piledriver!” Zangief shouted.

Before the dazed Maxima could react, the Russian grappler grabbed him, jumped high into the air, spun around, and slammed him hard into the ground. Maxima’s robotic body hit the pavement with such impact that he bounced off the ground and crashed into nearby crates.

The loud commotion brought K’ out of his boathouse. 

“What is going on out here?” he demanded.

Zangief’s eyes widened at the sight of his target. “White hair, black leather, you are the one I am looking for!”

Confusion spread across the face of K’.

“Why would you hurt Mika like that?” asked Zangief. “I will crush every bone in your body as punishment!”

“What are you talking about?”

“You fought Mika in a Robotics company in Japan and you sent her to the hospital,” Zangief accused. (REF: ANGEL VS. R. MIKA)

“I’ve never fought any girl named Mika,” K’ responded.

“Yes you did. Then you came here to fight Ken Masters.”  

“I fought Ken at a bar because he was annoying me, you muscle bound meathead,” K’ retorted. “It had nothing to do with whatever girl you are talking about.”  (REF: K' vs. KEN MASTERS)

“Lies!” shouted Zangief.

“I don’t need to defend myself to you,” stated K’. “If you are here just to look for a fight then…”

K’ was interrupted by the sound of Zangief’s phone ringing.

Annoyance seeped into K’s voice. “Are you going to answer that?”

Slightly embarrassed, Zangief answered his phone. “Da. Karin, how are you? How is Mika? Let her know that I have found the one responsible for her injuries.”

“Really, that is amazing,” replied Karin. “Mika told me that the woman that gave her a beatdown was really strong. She even beat up Mika’s friend, Julia, (REF: ANGEL VS. JULIA CHANG) after she was done with Mika. Good luck taking her on.”

“Hold on. Did you say Mika was attacked by a WOMAN?”

“Yes. A chesty woman with white hair who was wearing black leather. Is that not who you have found?” asked Karin.

Zangief stumbled. “I...I... will call you back.”

Zangief quickly hung up his phone. K’, who overheard the conversation, simply shook his head.

“You moron,” he said with disgust.

“”I...I must apologize.” Zangief quickly ran over to help Maxima up from the pile of broken crates. “I did not know the description could fit so many fighters. How will I find the one who hurt Mika.”

K’ pointed to Maxima. “Why don’t you ask him? He is the one with a computer database.”

Zangief turned to the cyborg. “Apologies, comrade, we got off on the wrong foot. Do you think you could help me to find the one I am looking for.”

Maxima massaged his head. “I should be able to assist. What information do you have?”

“The culprit is a woman with white hair who wears black leather,” Zangief informed.

“They fought at a Robotics corporation….er...uh...Violet Systems.. in Japan soon after its CEO was murdered. Maybe by the same woman,” stated Zangief.

“Hold on a moment,” said Maxima as he accessed his internal databases. “I am cross referencing the physical attributes with known fighters strong enough to defeat the wrestler, Rainbow Mika, and possibly an assassin background.”

Maxima smiled at his erstwhile opponent. “Filtered search has produced two possible suspects. First is former NESTs agent, Angel, and the second is mercenary for hire and Dead or Alive fighter, Christie. There is no record of a last name for Christie. I do not think Angel has a last name either, but K’ and I are very familiar with her.”

“Can you help me find her?” Zangief pleaded.

“Why would we help you after you just tried to pummel us?” K’ wondered.

“Hold on there, partner,” said Maxima. “Let’s think about this for a moment. We may need help in rescuing Kula and Whip from whatever trouble they have gotten themselves into. (REF: KULA DIAMOND VS. CASSANDRA ALEXANDRA) This guy could be a very useful ally. He is easily one of the strongest men I have ever come across.”

“I would gladly lend you my muscles for your mission if you help me find this Angel woman,” Zangief confirmed.

K’ relented. “Fine. Whatever.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anggel.jpg.3d27ae31f9a512550bb6b3dee69756b4.jpg

In the Mexican village torn asunder by Leona Heidern’s Riot of the Blood  (REF: CAMMY WHITE VS. LEONA HEIDERN) , Ryuji Yamazaki watched from a distance as his new partner, Christie, was utterly dominated by the flashy and ferocious Ivy Valentine.  (REF: CHRISTIE VS. IVY)

Christie was down on her stomach when Ivy wrapped her snake sword around Christie’s neck and dug her heel into Christie’s back, just as she had previously done to Whip. (REF: RAPHAEL SOREL VS. LARS ALEXANDERSSON)

Ryuji shook his head in dismay. He briefly considered interfering, but quickly decided against it. He wondered how he would get paid from the mysterious Victor Donovan with his lone connection to the man currently eating dirt on the ground. Ryuji would have to make direct contact with his new employer. At the moment, however, he was more intrigued by the fact that he could sense some aspect of Orochi nearby. Ryuji left Christie to her defeat.

Ivy pulled back on her snake sword as she taunted her downed adversary. “You told me you were a bad girl that makes bad decisions. This may have been the worst decision of your life.”

Ivy pulled back some more before finally releasing Christie’s neck who was now passed out.

Ivy strutted away from Christie.

“What a disappointment,” she stated.  “Hopefully that blue haired military brat will prove to be much more exciting and I will get to see this “Riot” for myself.”

“You are one of them!” a voice called out.

Ivy sighed as she turned on her heel. “What is it now?”

Standing in front of her now was a white haired woman even more curvaceous than Christie.

Angel cracked her knuckles. “The big man sent me down here to get one of the ancient warriors connected to Soul Edge (REF: ADON VS. BRUCE IRVIN) and I know you are one of them.”

Ivy smirked. “What gave me away? The sword? The pauldron?”

Angel shrugged. “Well...yeah. There is no way any modern fighter looks like you.”

“Hmmm… if you ditched the leather jacket for some proper armor you might be close,” Ivy noted.

“I must say you look great for your age. Not as cute as me of course, but very impressive,” Angel remarked.

“Are you here to try and sweet talk me into going with you?” asked Ivy.

Angel scoffed. “Of course not. I’m going to pound you into the dirt first. Kazuya wants you alive, but there weren't any specifications beyond that.”

Ivy wrapped her snake sword, Valentine, around her body before quickly pulling it back into its dormant shape. “Just know that you missed your chance for mercy, and your punishment will be severe.”

“I’m not too worried about it. I am the best. I can’t wait to take that sword away from you. I bet I can sell it for a lot of money,” Angel retorted.

Ivy laughed. “I’m going to have fun with you.”

Dv_rCZKWkAAFSHi.jpg.6e22eb6c15a7e335469065468d272996.jpg

• Haha 1

😍🥰😻💘💖💓💞:wub:

• Haha 1

I'm going to go with Angel on this one...

As far as I know, she has been enhanced by NESTS to mid-tier to high-tier superhuman levels according to the lore, though it hasn't been specified in which manner she has been enhanced, whether by genetic modification for better performance, or cybernetics. However, if one were to count the KOF: A New Beginning manga, which is an adaptation of the KOF 14 game, it's been specified that she's been cybernatically enhanced to a point where she's been able to match Orochi Leona (who managed to FINALLY control the Riot of the Blood form) albeit at the risk of burning her cybernetics out.

Based on this... I'm giving it to Angel here.

Another very good set-up, Johnny. Good recap with Zangief and Maxima, and I actually laughed out loud when the misunderstanding between them was realized. :D

As for this match, not only does Angel seem to be the more powerful of these white-haired flirtatious fighters, but Ivy is likely not even at 100 % coming right off her fight with Christie. I think Angel takes this, but she'd probably better watch out for the very angry Red Cyclone on her tail not too long after that. 😛 

Sorry guys but Ivy is taking this match, her magic sword/whip will allow her to keep Angel at a distance and control the tempo of the fight, she’s taken on far tougher opponents like Cervantes, Zasalamel, and Taki, and she’s been fighting for well over a century, so their’s literally nothing Angel could do that Ivy hasn’t already seen and beaten before. 

6 hours ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Sorry guys but Ivy is taking this match, her magic sword/whip will allow her to keep Angel at a distance and control the tempo of the fight, she’s taken on far tougher opponents like Cervantes, Zasalamel, and Taki, and she’s been fighting for well over a century, so their’s literally nothing Angel could do that Ivy hasn’t already seen and beaten before. 

Yeah... this is Angel lifting a fighter jet after her sleeper programming by NEST is remotely activated, activating her cybernetic enhancements to take on Leona, at the risk of killing herself due to her inhibitors being removed. And this was AFTER she headbutt and sent another jet flying. This is from KOF: A New Beginning, which is an AMBIGUOUSLY canonical re-telling of KOF14.

....You were saying?

nvGSact.jpg

On 5/29/2021 at 9:02 PM, RakaiThwei said:

Yeah... this is Angel lifting a fighter jet after her sleeper programming by NEST is remotely activated, activating her cybernetic enhancements to take on Leona, at the risk of killing herself due to her inhibitors being removed. And this was AFTER she headbutt and sent another jet flying. This is from KOF: A New Beginning, which is an AMBIGUOUSLY canonical re-telling of KOF14.

....You were saying?

nvGSact.jpg

Yeah and when Cervantes had the Soul Edge he massacred entire armies of soldiers and destroyed several cities across Europe. And when Nightmare and Siegfried fought in Soulcalibur 4 the shockwaves from their swords meeting obliterated Ostrheinsberg Castle. Again Ivy has defeated Cervantes, so that at least puts her on that level, why do you think VS battle wiki lists her as multi-continent level?

18 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Yeah and when Cervantes had the Soul Edge he massacred entire armies of soldiers and destroyed several cities across Europe. And when Nightmare and Siegfried fought in Soulcalibur 4 the shockwaves from their swords meeting obliterated Ostrheinsberg Castle. Again Ivy has defeated Cervantes, so that at least puts her on that level, why do you think VS battle wiki lists her as multi-continent level?

I have played the Soul Calibur games, so I know the lore a little bit. Let's understand context a little bit here, and as far as I know... Cervantes was a very powerful and influencial pirate, but when he acquired Soul Edge-- yes, he was powerful but not strong enough to withstand utilizing it's full power. In other words, Cervantes is not as powerful with Soul Edge as you're suggesting solely because he wasn't the right host. And it was Taki and Sophitia who more or less defeated him in the events of the game Soul Blade, which resulted in Sophitia being injured with the shards of Soul Edge being embedded in her body and Taki creating Rekki Maru and Tekki Maru. So sometime afterwards-- it was Siegfried who found Soul Edge and became Nightmare.

And through out the rest of the games, Cervantes is more or less a reanimated corpse and utilizes a shadow copy of Soul Edge by the events of Soul Calibur II to Soul Calibur IV, as far as I can recall. And looking at the Soul Wiki... it's even mentioned that the shadow copy is nowhere nearly as powerful as the real thing.

And the VS Battle Wiki... Don't get me started on that Wiki. I have so many issues with that blasted wiki, and the suggestion which Ivy is multi-continent buster is absolutely unfounded and laughable. I haven't seen anything from the games suggesting she would alone handle armies just by herself, let alone bust continents.

15 minutes ago, RakaiThwei said:

I have played the Soul Calibur games, so I know the lore a little bit. Let's understand context a little bit here, and as far as I know... Cervantes was a very powerful and influencial pirate, but when he acquired Soul Edge-- yes, he was powerful but not strong enough to withstand utilizing it's full power. In other words, Cervantes is not as powerful with Soul Edge as you're suggesting solely because he wasn't the right host. And it was Taki and Sophitia who more or less defeated him in the events of the game Soul Blade, which resulted in Sophitia being injured with the shards of Soul Edge being embedded in her body and Taki creating Rekki Maru and Tekki Maru. So sometime afterwards-- it was Siegfried who found Soul Edge and became Nightmare.

And through out the rest of the games, Cervantes is more or less a reanimated corpse and utilizes a shadow copy of Soul Edge by the events of Soul Calibur II to Soul Calibur IV, as far as I can recall. And looking at the Soul Wiki... it's even mentioned that the shadow copy is nowhere nearly as powerful as the real thing.

And the VS Battle Wiki... Don't get me started on that Wiki. I have so many issues with that blasted wiki, and the suggestion which Ivy is multi-continent buster is absolutely unfounded and laughable. I haven't seen anything from the games suggesting she would alone handle armies just by herself, let alone bust continents.

Dude you previously used a source that even you admitted was AMBIGUOUSLY canon to support your character, so don’t judge me for where I get my sources. As it stands Ivy has fought and at least stalemated Taki and Sophitia before so that still puts her at Soul Edge Cervantes level. And even during the years after he lost Soul Edge Cervantes was powerful enough to destroy fleets of ships and level several coastal cities, so while he wasn’t as powerful, he was still pretty powerful. So again Ivy defeating daddy dearest and stalemating Taki and Sophitia more then puts her on the higher tier levels of Soul Calibur fighters, so no way is Angel out muscling her in this fight.

On 5/29/2021 at 9:02 PM, RakaiThwei said:

This is from KOF: A New Beginning, which is an AMBIGUOUSLY canonical re-telling of KOF14.

I also love how you freely use the re-telling of KOF14 to support Angel, but when I tried to use re-telling mediums to argue for Fatal Fury characters, you jumped down my throat and said I couldn’t do that.

6 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

I also love how you freely use the re-telling of KOF14 to support Angel, but when I tried to use re-telling mediums to argue for Fatal Fury characters, you jumped down my throat and said I couldn’t do that.

Because those conflicted with the events of the games. In the games, Geese Howard died by falling off from his own high-rise building. In the anime OVAs, Geese never fell off a building and wasn't even killed by Terry Bogard, only going into seclusion and hiding to train to bide his time. You can even see the entire OVA right here and the game ending too. They aren't even the same continuity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyGJ5_janc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuO1BhTUdvE

Also, the reason why I say the KOF: A New Beginning manga is ambiguously canon is because SNK has stated that the manga closely follows the events of the KOF14 game and leads to the awakening of Verse. That much is canon.

20 minutes ago, RakaiThwei said:

Because those conflicted with the events of the games. In the games, Geese Howard died by falling off from his own high-rise building. In the anime OVAs, Geese never fell off a building and wasn't even killed by Terry Bogard, only going into seclusion and hiding to train to bide his time.

Now I know that you don’t know a thing about Fatal Fury. Geese Howard didn’t die until the FIFTH Fatal Fury Game! Like are you not aware of basic canon?

17C8C32A-9E4E-46D4-B561-4F91261F3087.thumb.png.bfddd624edb5899b4cb4bb45ddeec659.png

The Fatal Fury OVAs literally do not deviate from any sort of canon established by the FF games, sorry but that is fact.

23 minutes ago, RakaiThwei said:

Also, the reason why I say the KOF: A New Beginning manga is ambiguously canon is because SNK has stated that the manga closely follows the events of the KOF14 game and leads to the awakening of Verse. That much is canon.

SNK has said almost the same thing about the FF OVAs and KOF: Destiny was straight up produced by SNK themselves and yet you had the nerve to say that using feats from KOF: Destiny wasn’t applicable during your Terry vs Leonardo match? Dude your acting very shady right now Rakai.

1 hour ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Now I know that you don’t know a thing about Fatal Fury. Geese Howard didn’t die until the FIFTH Fatal Fury Game! Like are you not aware of basic canon?

I am not as well versed in the Fatal Fury storyline as I am with Street Fighter, as I only paid a few of the games and read up on the storyline as far as the Fatal Fury/Art of Fighting storyline goes. There's also the KOF storyline which more or less is a separate continuity from the Art of Fighting/Fatal Fury storyline. That much I know about.

EDIT: Found a link which details the entire Art of Fighting/Fatal Fury and KOF timelines. It's pretty old but it's going back to 2009. Still, it does more or less reaffirms what I've been saying.

https://forums.shoryuken.com/t/fatal-fury-king-of-fighters-continuity/85917/22

The Fatal Fury OVAs literally do not deviate from any sort of canon established by the FF games, sorry but that is fact.

But they do deviant and contradict... I've even shared the links to the first Fatal Fury OVA and the first Fatal Fury game. The ending fight to the OVA shows Terry and Geese fighting in a zen courtyard outside of a Japanese styled pagoda, and in the Fatal Fury game-- Terry and Geese's fight happens in the penthouse of Geese's own highrise building, which Terry knocks him out from with a jumping kick as shown in one of the links? From the very get go of the 90s OVA, the contradictions were there.

One of these things is not like the other, man.

SNK has said almost the same thing about the FF OVAs and KOF: Destiny was straight up produced by SNK themselves and yet you had the nerve to say that using feats from KOF: Destiny wasn’t applicable during your Terry vs Leonardo match? Dude your acting very shady right now Rakai.

KOF: Destiny is a loose retelling of the first KOF 94 game, but the timeline is all different-- as KOF: Destiny is set in the 2010s, where as the original KOF game is set in 1994. You can tell from the technology which the characters use in KOF: Destiny, as they are using smartphones. Where were those in 1994? Those didn't exist. Also, for my storylines, I am working with the games and ONLY the games, which was my intention from the very get go. After the Mai fight, which you brought up the OVAs, I had to be very clear on that as I never intended to include the OVAs.

As for the canonical status of KOF: A New Beginning?

9IVYId3.png

Basically what the producer of KOF XIV said is that the story does fit within the franchise's canon and it may even so much as influence upcoming games and manga, unless it is contradicted by a new game. So in other words, this more or less Expanded Universe material. This is canon until it's no longer canon. Kind of like how Star Wars Legends used to be canon, or how Alien-Predator's Dark Horse material used to be canon until the Disney purchase.

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - patrickthekid
4.50 - Pizzaguy2995
4.90 - DSkillz

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
14.40 Total Combined Score
14.40 / 3 = 4.80 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Angel (King Of Fighters): 5
Ivy (Soul Calibur): 2

On 5/29/2021 at 12:41 AM, DSkillz said:

Another very good set-up, Johnny. Good recap with Zangief and Maxima, and I actually laughed out loud when the misunderstanding between them was realized. :D

As for this match, not only does Angel seem to be the more powerful of these white-haired flirtatious fighters, but Ivy is likely not even at 100 % coming right off her fight with Christie. I think Angel takes this, but she'd probably better watch out for the very angry Red Cyclone on her tail not too long after that. :p

Good assessment and swings me in favor of Angel. Confident she'll get the advantage over Ivy.

Great set up as always Johnny