Slot: The Team's Survivor
Season Wins: 1
Season Losses: 1
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer at this Wiki
Official Site: 20th Century Fox

Battle Terrain
Survival Challenge: Who survives Tremors

If Alan is allowed to bring the biggest guns and distribute them across the community, this could easily go in his favour. His military experience on top of the fact that he's charismatic enough to band the community together (probably), I can see him coming out of this one alive and saving a few people along the way.

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

If Alan is allowed to bring the biggest guns and distribute them across the community, this could easily go in his favour. His military experience on top of the fact that he's charismatic enough to band the community together (probably), I can see him coming out of this one alive and saving a few people along the way.

I don't think that there's an assumption that they get their equipment. I certainly don't think there should be, anyway

3 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

I don't think that there's an assumption that they get their equipment. I certainly don't think there should be, anyway

I like, half agree. Certainly thinking that Dutch can bring in an entire stockpile of weapons to arm the citizenry is kinda silly. But assuming he has his regular arsenal, since he is a mercenary who goes on to run a mercenary company, is reasonable.

When I look at most of the characters in the draft I try to think of what their normal gear is: If they knew they were going on a dangerous task what would they, within reason, bring? Standard equipment passes the within reason test to me.

As for my thoughts on this particular match, Dutch has successfully taken out more than one Predator. Besides that, the town has the "rec room", which is full of weapons. Dutch not only survives but takes out the Graboids in decisive fashion.

7 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

I like, half agree. Certainly thinking that Dutch can bring in an entire stockpile of weapons to arm the citizenry is kinda silly. But assuming he has his regular arsenal, since he is a mercenary who goes on to run a mercenary company, is reasonable.

When I look at most of the characters in the draft I try to think of what their normal gear is: If they knew they were going on a dangerous task what would they, within reason, bring? Standard equipment passes the within reason test to me.

As for my thoughts on this particular match, Dutch has successfully taken out more than one Predator. Besides that, the town has the "rec room", which is full of weapons. Dutch not only survives but takes out the Graboids in decisive fashion.

I think it depends on the scenario, honestly, but most of the time I personally think "what would they have if they were in the movie/scenario up to this point?" For example, they wouldn't be armed to the teeth on the Titanic, or in the one where they get sucked out of the plane, but something like the Dark Angels, sure, give them standard loadout, because that one is about long-term survival in the world moreso than surviving a specific night or creature. I don't know if either of us is right or wrong here because the instructions are unclear

Just now, Peypeypeypey said:

I think it depends on the scenario, honestly, but most of the time I personally think "what would they have if they were in the movie/scenario up to this point?" For example, they wouldn't be armed to the teeth on the Titanic, or in the one where they get sucked out of the plane, but something like the Dark Angels, sure, give them standard loadout, because that one is about long-term survival in the world moreso than surviving a specific night or creature. I don't know if either of us is right or wrong here because the instructions are unclear

That's a fair way to look at it too. I think that's one more piece to be added to the challenges in the future, something that specifies what's available to the characters.

Now, either way of looking at it, I still favor Dutch here.

14 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

That's a fair way to look at it too. I think that's one more piece to be added to the challenges in the future, something that specifies what's available to the characters.

Now, either way of looking at it, I still favor Dutch here.

Yeah, and I think in the combat-oriented ones, some of them having prep time would be fun too. Just ways to flesh out the challenges

To those of you wondering about whether Dutch will have access to his weapons, I think it’s pretty irrelevant anyway. Remember Burt and Heather Gummer? The badass survivalist couple who have a basement armory stocked with enough guns to assault Fort Knox? I don’t think Dutch will lack access to military weapons regardless.

It still boggles me why no one thought to draft Gummer. He's arguably as good at firearms and all-around survival as just about anyone picked here.

Anyways, I see that Carolyn is apparently something of a survivalist in the Pitch Black films, so she'd likely be at least as good at evading the graboids as anyone in the Tremors films. What I'm not sure about is if she'd be as combat-skilled as Dutch.

13 hours ago, DSkillz said:

It still boggles me why no one thought to draft Gummer. He's arguably as good at firearms and all-around survival as just about anyone picked here.

Anyways, I see that Carolyn is apparently something of a survivalist in the Pitch Black films, so she'd likely be at least as good at evading the graboids as anyone in the Tremors films. What I'm not sure about is if she'd be as combat-skilled as Dutch.

Carolyn does die by getting grabbed from behind in Pitch Black, so not the best feat. And she's not near as good as Dutch, with his military and mercenary experience. Not to mention Dutch's leadership skills from commanding mercenaries in the expanded canon.

19 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Good points about Fry, I see this as Fight vs Flight match myself, and in the latter, Fry would probably prove better.

She's not a great fighter, and without Riddick her chances of survival in something like this diminish a good bit, but she is fairly resilient, and did manage to navigate the rest of the way back to the landing spot by herself with no weapons, relatively impressive.

She's not a coward either for things she believes in, at least by the end of the film, so I can see her still being willing to fight the Graboids even when overwhelmed.

That being said, I still think Fry could do fairly well here in at least bringing out more survivors, as Dutch left the jungle with only himself and one other survivor, not to say Fry left any better, but prior to her death, at least three other people were alive. Different circumstances perhaps? IDK.

On that note, Dutch might not be as level headed as Fry is in certain aspects, not a good point for him in a challenge like this, but I'll leave you guys to vote as you may.