Colossus vs. Strong Guy
MATCH SCORE
Colossus: 5
Strong Guy: 1

Rumble 20541 Batman (Nolanverse) vs. Judas Breed
MATCH SCORE
Batman: 2
Judas Breed: 0

Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Match 16121 Hayate vs. Ryo Sakazaki

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART CXI

432800019_baikenenters.jpg.99412e67be069de5a64e4e8a96b13d2e.jpg

In the rubble of the Colony, the one armed samurai, Baiken stood across from the villainous I-No ready to strike. 

“I will defeat you and you will tell me how to find That Man,” Baiken declared.

I-No snickered. “Go ahead and try. Make your move.”

Baiken lunged at I-No, but was suddenly engulfed in a dark, black portal. She stepped completely through the portal into a world she did not know. She looked around at the trees and the nearby burned down mausoleum. It all seemed so familiar, yet so foreign at the same time. It reminded her of rural Japan before the Gears attacked. Surely, I-No was playing some trick on her or the other ones involved with That Man. Baiken continued to look around in confusion and she became less certain. Where did she go and what does it mean?

Elsewhere, Ryu Hayabusa walked with Yoshimtsu and the rest of the Manji Clan in the endless maze.  (REF: YOSHIMITSU VS. RYU HAYABUSA)  Ryu could not take his eyes off of the remaining large chunk of Soul Edge that was being carried around by Yoshimitsu’s successor with a robot arm. His fixed gaze worried some in the Manji Clan, but really it was out of a bit of wonderment. Ryu had encountered many powerful swords, including his own, but could not believe that this one blade could really be the source of so much power and despair. 

“It’s almost like a children’s story,” he remarked.

The black and crimson blade suddenly flashed a few times and emitted a stronger glow than it had before. 

“Is that normal?” Ryu wondered.

“It has happened before,” Yoshimitsu’s successor reassured.

“But usually it’s not this often or this intense,” noted Yoshimitsu. “It must be the continued destruction caused by the Devil Gene, the lingering presence of Azazel  (REF: MENAT VS. ZAFINA),  and those are only the ones I know about. The world appears to be turning on its head, Ogre could be back for all we know.”

“What do you do when this happens?” Ryu inquired.

“Our job remains the same, we protect the sword from the hands of evil,” Yoshimitsu answered. “We entrust our friends to go on the offensive while we remain on the defensive.” Yoshimitsu could tell Ryu was struggling with this dynamic. “You don’t have to remain here with us. If you believe your skills will be better used on the battlefield, there is nothing holding you here. This is not your burden to bear.”

“I…..” Ryu stopped before he could finish his sentence. “Kasumi is nearby.” He looked over to Yoshimitsu. “I will be right back.”

Kasumi crept through a densely forested area. A cloud of black smoke emerged behind her and she quickly grabbed her sword and held it to the throat of the appearing Ryu Hayabusa. Just as quickly she brought it back down.

“Master Ryu?!? Forgive me.”

“It is quite alright,” replied Ryu. “What are you doing here?”

“I came here looking for you. I could sense you were near but I could not get a firm grasp on your location,” Kasumi explained.

“It is the techniques of the Manji Clan, and it is very purposeful,” Ryu remarked. “It is the best way to keep the sword safe.”

Kasumi confessed her failure. “I wanted to tell you that I lost Rachel. I found her as you requested and convinced her to come with me (REF: RACHEL VS. SHURA) . She was going to bring along her demon slaying partner, but she never returned. When I entered the castle I found her partner unconscious, but no sign of Rachel.  (REF: NYOTENGU VS. ELIZA)  I have been unable to track her. It is like she is being hidden by magic.”

“Yoshimitsu was right, the world is turning on its head,” Ryu surmised. “Kasumi, I need you to remain confident despite this setback. We can win, but we need to be focused. The same force that has possibly abducted Rachel is one of the many that is feeding into Soul Edge as we speak. We need to put down all this negative energy that is empowering that cursed sword.”

“There are so many targets, where do we even start?” asked Kasumi.

“Find Nyotengu. (REF: NYOTENGU VS. KAZUMI MISHIMA)  She is the most knowledgeable one I know about demons, tengu, and other evil entities. Ask her about which ones are at play so you can know where to strike.”

Kasumi nodded. “I will.”

“And bring Hayate and the rest of the Mugen Tenshin with you. I have a strong feeling you will need them,” stated Ryu.

“What about you?” Kasumi wondered.

“My place is here with the Manji Clan, acting as the last line of defense,” Ryu answered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hayate_and_kasumi___black_ninja_costumes__1__by_an_kasumimomiji4ever_d7uzx6h-350t.jpg.ff77fa340950470074fcfe241f153f2b.jpg

At a Mugen Tenshin campsite in the dead of night, Hayate entered a tent to find Ryo Sakazaki sitting straight up and flexing his right hand,

“How are you feeling?” asked Hayate.

“Better than ever, actually,” Ryo said with some surprise. “Your clan has some really impressive healing methods.”

Hayate smiled. “The Mugen Tenshin has picked up a useful technique or two over the years.”

Ryo's voice turned serious. “Have you heard anything from Maki Genryusai?”

“No,” replied Hayate. “However, we aren’t exactly looking out for her either. She declined an invitation to come along, instead choosing to try to find the rest of your allies.”  (REF: MAKI GENRYUSAI VS. KUMA)

“I owe her a debt that I don’t know if I ever will be able to repay. If it wasn’t for her, I would have definitely succumbed to my wounds,” Ryo explained.  (REF: KIM KAPHWAN VS. JURI HAN)  “I just hope she is okay.”  (REF: BENIMARU NIKAIDO VS. CRIMSON VIPER)

“She appeared to be a tough young woman. But, the Mugen Tenshin has more pressing concerns,” stated Hayate.

“Then why did you come for me?” Ryo wondered.

Hayate answered. “Ryu Hayabusa asked me to.”

Loud murmurs from outside the tent interrupted their conversation. Hayate exited the tent to find Kasumi outside talking to the other ninjas.

“Kasumi,” Hayate said softly.

“Hayate, I have news,” Kasumi announced. “We need to move quickly. Ryu says that the Soul Edge sword is reacting to a surge in negative energy. We need to eliminate that negative energy if we are going to help keep the sword docile.”

“Where have you been?” Hayate inquired. “Where is Ayane?”

“I went on a mission to find Rachel who was fighting fiends and demons. Ayane went to the Mishima Zaibatsu to track down any of the ancient warriors Jin Kazama may have obtained (REF: AYANE VS. NINA WILLIAMS), and Momiji went on reconoscence to Shadoloo.”  (REF: MOMiJI VS. VEGA) Kasumi looked toward the ground. “I don’t know how their missions have gone, but I failed at mine. I briefly made contact with Rachel, but then I lost her.”

“So what is going on now?”

“As I said we need to move out to eliminate some of the spikes of negative energy,” Kasumi reiterated.

Ryo Sakazaki was now outside the tent as well and joined the other two fighters in conversation. “Negative energy?”

Kasumi greeted the kyokugenryu practitioner warmly. “You are looking much better than the last time I saw you.  (REF: TAKI VS. KASUMI)  The negative energy that is feeding into Soul Edge is coming from demons both modern and ancient.” She tightened her right fist. “We need to exterminate them.”

Ryo nodded. “Count me in.”

Hayate shook his head. “I am not so sure about that. You had better stay behind.”

Ryo was confused. “What? That is absurd. I feel great. We are all in this together are we not?”

“Look, I respect that you are probably a gifted martial artist. But, we are about to go up against beings and creatures much worse than anything you would have fought at one of your karate exhibitions,” said Hayate.  (REF: RYO SAKAZAKI VS. AKIRA YUKI)  “I can’t risk you being a liability on the battlefield and having to worry about protecting you. There is too much at stake.”

Ryo felt extremely insulted. “You have no idea the things I have faced. I am more than capable of looking out for myself.”

“Is that right?” Hayate scoffed. “Is that why you were carved up by two of the ancient warriors and immediately became a burden for your allies.”

Ryo scowled. “They double teamed me and sneak attacked me. It was hardly a fair fight.”

“You think the demons that are powering Soul Edge are interested in a fair fight? It is that kind of thinking which proves to me you are not ready for this kind of battle,” Hayate insisted.

Kasumi adopted a softer tone when she addressed Ryo. “Perhaps he is right. No one will think any less of you.”

“I am a fighter!” Ryo declared. “I don’t need to be coddled or protected. I can fight anything and I can help stop these monsters.”

Hayate looked over Ryo for a moment. “Prove it.”

“Huh?”

“Show me this incredible skill you have. Prove to me that it won’t be a mistake to bring you along. That I won’t have to explain to Ryu Hayabusa why I restored the man he asked me too and then turned around and immediately lost him to our enemies.”

“You want me to fight you?” Ryo inquired. “Right here, right now?”

“Yes. Unless, of course, you don’t feel like you are ready,” said Hayate.

“I am ready,” Ryo retorted. “Just don’t get mad at me if I beat you in front of your clan.”

“He is certainly not lacking in confidence,” Kasumi noted.

“Let’s find out what areas he MAY be lacking in,” Hayate responded.

I think Hayate’s arrogance is getting the best of him here. In King of Fighters we’ve seen Ryo fight evenly with the likes of Geese Howard and Terry Bogard (who need I remind you can punch shock waves into the ground and fought Mars the god of war!) so it pisses me right off that Hayate thinks he can talk down to him like that. Kick his ass Ryo! 

4 hours ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

I think Hayate’s arrogance is getting the best of him here. In King of Fighters we’ve seen Ryo fight evenly with the likes of Geese Howard and Terry Bogard (who need I remind you can punch shock waves into the ground and fought Mars the god of war!) so it pisses me right off that Hayate thinks he can talk down to him like that. Kick his ass Ryo! 

While Ryo has fought Terry in the KOF timeline and has consistently managed to be on par with him, the Fatal Fury OVA's are non-canon, so as far as I know regarding game canon-- Terry hasn't fought a god.

Hayate definitely has a high level of skill and he absolutely has plenty of speed to where it's going to be a problem for Ryo. In his ending along with Ryu Hayabusa's ending in DOA4 show him dodging automatic firing from military aerial crafts and running through groups of DOATEC soldiers at superhuman speeds. 

But Ryo trains more, he's got the technique, possibly durability and definitely the raw power to take on Hayate.

2 hours ago, RakaiThwei said:

While Ryo has fought Terry in the KOF timeline and has consistently managed to be on par with him, the Fatal Fury OVA's are non-canon, so as far as I know regarding game canon-- Terry hasn't fought a god.

Who says the third movie isn’t canon? It follows the same continuity as the prior two films, both of which followed the plot of the first two Fatal Fury games to a tee. I thought the deal was that any works based on series from another media should count as canon as long as they don’t directly contradict the main source or unless the original creator says otherwise. (i.e. Katsuhiro Harada dismissing Tekken: Blood Vengeance)

Edited by Pizzaguy2995
Adding info

2 hours ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Who says the third movie isn’t canon? It follows the same continuity as the prior two films, both of which followed the plot of the first two Fatal Fury games to a tee. I thought the deal was that any works based on series from another media should count as canon as long as they don’t directly contradict the main source or unless the original creator says otherwise. (i.e. Katsuhiro Harada dismissing Tekken: Blood Vengeance)

The OVAs are adaptations. Just because they are adaptations doesn't necessarily mean they are canon and they feature characters who weren't in game canon, like Lily MacGuire, Terry Bogard's dead love interest-- she is actually alive and well in game canon but is a background character in one of the KOF games. So that is one major indicator. Also Fatal Fury 3 doesn't even take into account of the OVA and neither does the Real Bout specials or Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

Even Wikipedia says the third movie deviates from game canon and is it's own thing.

On 4/1/2021 at 11:32 AM, RakaiThwei said:

The OVAs are adaptations. Just because they are adaptations doesn't necessarily mean they are canon and they feature characters who weren't in game canon, like Lily MacGuire, Terry Bogard's dead love interest-- she is actually alive and well in game canon but is a background character in one of the KOF games. So that is one major indicator. Also Fatal Fury 3 doesn't even take into account of the OVA and neither does the Real Bout specials or Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

Even Wikipedia says the third movie deviates from game canon and is it's own thing.

Fine, I’ll stop using the OVAs as arguments for the Fatal Fury characters. But I’ll still argue for Ryo in this fight. Like you said Ryo has more raw power and is more durable then Hayate and he trains more. That more then offsets Hayate’s speed advantage. Get ‘em Ryo!

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - Boratz
4.80 - DSkillz
5.00 - patrickthekid
5.00 - Pizzaguy2995
5.00 - RakaiThwei

FPA Calculation:
5 Total Votes cast
24.80 Total Combined Score
24.80 / 5 = 4.96 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE