Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Mr. Clean at this Wiki
Official Site: Procter & Gamble

Battle Terrain
Marketing Challenge: Bic Disposable Underwear

3 hours ago, SSJRuss said:

Convince me Mr. Clean can't sell underwear. I'll wait. :rolleyes:

Bic was selling Disposable Underwear.  You weren't meant to clean it.  The product was not built to last , so washing it could actually be a problem.

Now, Mr. Clean might be able to come at this from another angle - maybe about always having a clean pair to wear?

All in all, I like the Geico Gecko on this one.  He sells Insurance.  I guess having a disposable pair of underwear around is Insurance against something.  Maybe crapping yourself?  Well, anyways, I'd love to see the commercial.

54 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Yeah but this isn't the actual Geico Gecko, is it? Just a random gecko image plastered over some underwear.

The page of the site the underwear is sold on says "Geico Gecko Underwear & Panties." 

At the very least, it proves that the appeal of the Geico Gecko is broad enough to sell the image of geckos on various merchandise.

41 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

The page of the site the underwear is sold on says "Geico Gecko Underwear & Panties." 

At the very least, it proves that the appeal of the Geico Gecko is broad enough to sell the image of geckos on various merchandise.

None of them actually have the image of the Geico Gecko on it though. If anything, it seems like parody merch to me, which might just show that people are sick of the Geico Gecko or that they don't like him

6 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

None of them actually have the image of the Geico Gecko on it though.

This one does. 

10 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

If anything, it seems like parody merch to me, which might just show that people are sick of the Geico Gecko or that they don't like him

If you check the page, it actually shows that the vast majority of the gecko-themed undies show love for the geckos.

4 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

This one does. 

If you check the page, it actually shows that the vast majority of the gecko-themed undies show love for the geckos.

So, I think I was definitely right. https://www.cafepress.com/+mr.-clean+underwear

You just searched "Geico Gecko" and it pulled up everything Gecko related. I can do the exact same thing for Mr. Clean, and it pulls up equally tangentially related stuff. Just because some random website has gecko merch doesn't mean it's selling well, related to the Geico brand in any official or meaningful way, or at all relevant to the challenge

10 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

So, I think I was definitely right. https://www.cafepress.com/+mr.-clean+underwear

You just searched "Geico Gecko" and it pulled up everything Gecko related. I can do the exact same thing for Mr. Clean, and it pulls up equally tangentially related stuff. Just because some random website has gecko merch doesn't mean it's selling well, related to the Geico brand in any official or meaningful way, or at all relevant to the challenge

It shows that the Geico Gecko brand is influential enough to inspire merchandise, knock-off or otherwise.  And looking at both pages, tell me who has more underwear at least tangentially related to the aforementioned mascots.

1 minute ago, DSkillz said:

It shows that the Geico Gecko brand is influential enough to inspire merchandise, knock-off or otherwise.  And looking at both pages, tell me who has more underwear at least tangentially related to the aforementioned mascots.

But it's not inspired by the Geico Gecko, it's inspired by the concept of Geckos, the animal. That's like saying the animal itself was inspired by the brand.

Just now, Macklemore said:

But it's not inspired by the Geico Gecko, it's inspired by the concept of Geckos, the animal. That's like saying the animal itself was inspired by the brand.

Going by this logic, Mr. Clean wins because there's way more merch with humans on it than Geckos

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyChany said:

Underwear ads seem to usually be about putting pretty people in underwear which I think gives the edge to Mr. Clean. You see the way women look at him when he is working.

1 hour ago, Bergy_Berg said:

Mr. Clean's dumptrunk ass gonna sell some units.

Yes to both of these. Exactly what I was thinking. Makes a whole lot more sense than just some insurance company making underwear. Mr. Clean has got some synergy going.

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

1 hour ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Going by this logic, Mr. Clean wins because there's way more merch with humans on it than Geckos

Come on now! We all know the Gecko's inspired a much bigger interest for geckos among people than Mr. Clean's has inspired an interest for humans, lol.

But I've been somewhat getting away from the main debate here. The Gecko easily has the bigger brand recognition at this point, given the sheer amount and variety of commercial ads and yes, merch that he's had.

Yeah, Mr. Clean might make a good physical model for underwear, but the Gecko more easily appeals to people of all ages, genders, etc., beyond physicality.

24 minutes ago, DSkillz said:

Come on now! We all know the Gecko's inspired a much bigger interest for geckos among people than Mr. Clean's has inspired an interest for humans, lol.

But I've been somewhat getting away from the main debate here. The Gecko easily has the bigger brand recognition at this point, given the sheer amount and variety of commercial ads and yes, merch that he's had.

Yeah, Mr. Clean might make a good physical model for underwear, but the Gecko more easily appeals to people of all ages, genders, etc., beyond physicality.

I'm not at all convinced Mr. Clean wouldn't make a better fit for this. The product synergy is perfect. He like things clean, this underwear is always clean. The Gecko might have the bigger brand recognition, I'm honestly not so sure, but even if he does, that doesn't mean that literally any product he puts on will sell well. Mr. Clean makes a lot more sense as a seller for this particular product, so I vote for him

• Like 1