Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Rumble 20548 Maui (Moana) vs. Skar King
MATCH SCORE
Maui (Moana): 4
Skar King: 1

Match 15602 The Land Of Oz vs. Wonderland

Culwych1

Alice's life was good. She had taken over her father's business, and had become a trailblazer for women everywhere as she deftly took it from success to success. She had married, had a child, and only in the darkest corners of her mind did Wonderland emerge again. In those times she would happily let reality slip away, secure in her knowledge that it was but a dream or memory and that her place was in the real world next to her family. 

So it came as a huge surprise to her when, unbidden, the world actually did slip away. A whiteness enveloped her, the sturdy oak of the desk before disappearing to an emptiness. Then, a large silver plain appeared before her; a swirling silver that gently solidified and turned into large green fields. Mountains towered over the horizon, and she could see forests intersperse the expansive view. Wonderland? she mused to herself. But it didn't feel like that. 

"For once it seems like I would have been better off late!" said a familiar voice behind her, and Alice swiveled to see an apparition from her youth walking up to her. The White Rabbit! In all the strangeness of her journey to this place, the tall white rabbit in a waistcoat was reassuring. 

She impulsively reached out to hug the figure, then looked out across the fields to see more figures that she recognised. The Mad Hatter waiving at her, the regal White Queen talking to some card soldiers, the dancing grin of the Cheshire Cat. 

"Are we in Wonderland?" she asked the White Rabbit. 

He shook his head quickly, "No, it is no land that I know. Like you it seems, we were brought here"

Suddenly a large sphere, coloured the black of the darkest night, appeared overhead. It was huge, gently hovering over the land. A booming voice emerged from the sphere that shook the land. 

ALICE, WHITE QUEEN, YOU HAVE BEEN CALLED HERE FOR BATTLE. IN EXACTLY ONE DAY, AN ARMY WILL BE MARCHING OVER THOSE HILLS WITH ONLY ONE PURPOSE: TO DESTROY YOU ALL. 

YOU HAVE ONE DAY TO PREPARE, GATHER YOUR TROOPS, AND READY YOURSELVES FOR THE WAR TO COME. COOPERATE WITH YOUR ALLIES AND YOU WILL SAVE WONDERLAND. FAIL, AND EVERYTHING YOU KNOW WILL BE DESTROYED. 

YOUR 24 HOUR COUNTDOWN STARTS NOW. 

The darkness of the sphere was suddenly illuminated with a countdown; 23:59:59

During the announcement the White Queen had walked over to Alice. 

"Is this something from your land Alice?" she said, laying a gentle, reassuring hand on her shoulder. 

"No, this most certainly is not" replied Alice. Then her eyes narrowed with determination; "But it sounds clear what we must do to save us all."

-----------------------------------------------------

Jonathan clapped his hands in glee as he lifted the virtual reality headset away from his head and wiped his brow. It was beyond surreal, he thought. 

Virtualibris was the game of the century, allowing the user to feed in information on any fiction or non-fiction source and the game would take care of the rest. It would literally create those characters, with state of the art artificial intelligence and allow you to set the parameters which they would face. The game would source a lot of its information from the internet, feeding that into huge algorithms so the characters believed they were real, had real memories, and would interact and react to the input. 

Of course, Jonathan had only had one thought in his mind when he fired up the game: Battles! He loved pitting people against each other; and had been part of online forums for many years. Now his dream had come true and he would be able to actually throw this characters into a simulated battle and be there to observe what happened. He was already busy typing out the invite to his pals at his favorite forum CBUB so they could join in on the fun. 

Another feature of Virtualibris was that you could create the scenarios and characters (when combined named "modules") for others to enjoy - and this was Jonathan's dream. He had few prized possessions, but old copies of Alice in Wonderland and the Wonderful Wizard of Oz were among them. Jonathan had tweaked the rules of this mod slightly, allocating points to allow a bit more strategy into the mix. He would have players spend points to choose key players in the battle, and then allow them to direct in a turn-based approach how they thought the troops would be best placed. They would still follow the advanced AI in their brains, and would act as you'd expect the real characters to, but high level strategy was dictated by the player (or you could slave it fully to the AI if you were feeling lazy). 

He typed the last few parameters in, and then clicked send to all. Invites were sent, the battlefield a small world full of scenery and open plains to observe the fighting. 

For those interested in Jonathan's module, the character stats read as follows: 

Oz Starting Team

Name
Attributes
Cost
Princess Ozma
Leader, allows 1 move per round
N/A
Grown up Dorothy
N/A
Wizard of Oz
Primary Adviser, allows 1 move per round
N/A

Special Forces
(10 points available)

Name
Attributes
Cost
Tik-Tok
Can use a whirly attack which can take out 6 soldiers at once, usable every 5 rounds
3 points
Scarecrow
Can act as an additional advisor (extra move every 5 rounds) and boosts morale
3 points
Tin Woodman
Can rally troops to him and act as a general in the field (increased movement and morale)
3 points
Cowardly Lion
Can unleash a roar that drops enemy morale significantly
3 points

Army
(10 points available)

Name
Attributes
Cost
100 x Oz Soldiers
Medium life, strong armor, medium attack, medium morale
6 points
100 x Munchkins
Medium life, medium armor, strong attack, low morale
6 points
17 x Wheelers
High life, Medium armor, strong attack, medium morale. Special: Fast Movement
4 points
1 x Soldier with the Green Whiskers
Type: General (morale boost), High life, high armor, strong attack, high morale. 
4 points

Additional Forces
(10 points available)

Name
Attributes
Cost
Locasta, Good Witch of the North
Divination, Defense boost, Teleportation, Transformation, Evil immunity
6 points
Glinda, Good Witch of the South
Elemental manipulation, Spell Negation, Animation, Misdirection, Zookinesis
6 points
Nome King
Evil character, can manipulate and launch rocks every 5 rounds, increasing both attack and defense of troops
4 points
China Princess
Can summon 50 china troops (low life, armor and attack) once during battle
4 points

Wonderland Starting Team

Name
Attributes
Cost
White Queen
N/A
Grown up Alice
N/A
The Caterpillar
Primary Adviser, allows 1 move per round
N/A

Special Forces
(10 points available)

Name
Attributes
Cost
Mad Hatter
Can enter into a frenzy after being in play for 6 rounds which increases army's attack as well.
annot be in play at the same time as the Jabberwock
3 points
March Hare
Can use telekinesis to move objects around the battlefield, as well deal long range damage (throwing plates)
3 points
White Rabbit
Despite being always late, can boost speed of troops around him once every 4 rounds. 
3 points
The Dormouse
Can rally troops to her and act as a general in the field (increased movement and morale)
3 points

Army
(10 points available)

Name
Attributes
Cost
100 x Card Soldiers (Hearts)
Medium life, strong armor, medium attack, medium morale
6 points
100 x Card Soldiers (Spades)
Medium life, medium armor, strong attack, medium morale
6 points
17 living chess pieces
High life, High armor, strong attack, medium morale. Special: Can form a blockade for 10 rounds
4 points
1 x Knave of Hearts
Type: General (morale boost), High life, high armor, strong attack, high morale. 
4 points

Additional Forces
(10 points available)

Name
Attributes
Cost
Cheshire Cat
Size manipulation, invisibility, levitation, teleportation , once every 5 rounds, can steal a move from opponent
6 points
Queen of Hearts
Evil character. Boosts Heart Soldiers morale significantly. If combined with the Knave of Hearts adds an extra move every 5 rounds. 
4 points
Bandersnatch
Evil character, venomous bite, can charge doing damage to 6 soldiers at once (usable every 5 rounds) 
4 points
Jabberwocky
Flight, devastating bite, lowers morale of enemy significantly, very high life
6 points

OZ meets Wonderland in this battle of advanced AI's who are in a very real fight for their survival. Who wins - you decide. 

ENJOY!

• Like 1

Looks like another epic set up! I'm loving the originality to it! 

Im going to have to read through this one a couple times before I come up with a decision. Right now leaning towards Wonderland but that may change

• Like 1

Ah, the match debuts of a couple of my adds from years back. :) Another great set-up, Culwych. The Queen of Hearts seems much nicer than I remember, though. 

I've never played a turn-based game, but I think I get the gist of it here. Based on each slot's stats, Wonderland has the more powerful army, but Oz probable ekes out the win with the magic of the Good Witches.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 3:04 AM, Boratz said:

Looks like another epic set up! I'm loving the originality to it! 

Im going to have to read through this one a couple times before I come up with a decision. Right now leaning towards Wonderland but that may change

On 1/1/2021 at 10:10 PM, DSkillz said:

Ah, the match debuts of a couple of my adds from years back. :) Another great set-up, Culwych. The Queen of Hearts seems much nicer than I remember, though. 

I've never played a turn-based game, but I think I get the gist of it here. Based on each slot's stats, Wonderland has the more powerful army, but Oz probable ekes out the win with the magic of the Good Witches.

Thanks both! 

Yeah, it was more a concept of a turn-based game that would be cool than anything else; not really one to play. Agree with the evaluation! 

17 minutes ago, Mercenaryblade said:

This is really well thought out! Well done.

Funny enough as a kid I always used to confuse Oz and Wonderland, no idea why. 

Thanks! I was always confusing Wonderland and Neverland - all amazing stories that influenced so many things. 

Right now I’m learning more towards the Wonderland characters, mostly because I remember the card soldiers and living chest pieces as more competent soldiers then the munchkins and oz soldiers. (Based mostly on the first two Oz films and the Disney Animated and Live Action Wonderland movies). Also the Jabberwocky and Cheshire Cat seem pretty OP compared to the Oz characters.

• Like 1

Sorry I missed this. Great concept though and deserving of five stars. I really like that you gave us numbers to see what they had and judge for ourselves. I don't know who I would have voted for, but I enjoyed reading this nonetheless.

• Thanks 1