Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Match 15219 Menat vs. Zafina

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART LXXVI

dhalsim.jpg.8b8e9bb3c4fccf3491e1aee4c40c6411.jpg

“Yoga Flame!!”

Dhalsim blew a large fireball that engulfed the bizarre fighter, Voldo, in a large bodysuit of fire. Dhalsim readied his hands to continue the fight, but Voldo did not return to his feet. (REF: DHALSIM VS. VOLDO)

“Dhalsim? Are you okay?” a voice called out.

Dhalsim turned around to witness the arrival of Rose, Guy, and two fighters that he did not recognize.

“Nothing I could not handle,” he answered.

Guy and Terry Bogard looked down at the bandages, claws, and leather clothing of Voldo with curiosity. Mai Shiranui twisted her head away in disgust.

Dhalsim crossed both his feet in the air and started to levitate. “Rose, I would ask you for what do I owe the pleasure of this visit, but I have a feeling it may be connected to my fallen adversary here.”

“I am afraid it does,” Rose confirmed.

“Is this guy one of the warriors from the past?” asked Guy.

“Yes,” answered Rose. “Why he openly attacked Dhalsim, I do not know. Dhalsim, were you in pursuit of the weapon, Soul Edge?”

Dhalsim shook his head. “No, and I have never heard of that weapon before.”

“Do you think someone sent this weirdo to try and get to Dhalsim before we could because they knew we were coming?” wondered Terry.

This revelation startled Rose, even if deep down inside she knew it was inevitable. “I believe that is the most likely scenario. When I confronted Viola I saw many powerful and ominous figures in pursuit of the sword, men with unlimited resources.  (REF: ROSE VS. VIOLA)  It would stand to reason that one of them has become aware of our actions. Which one exactly remains to be seen.”

“I feel a little lost about what is going on,” Dhalsim admitted.

“Of course, my apologies.” 

Rose went on to explain the imminent reappearance of the powerful sword, Soul Edge, the evil megalomaniacs in pursuit of it, (REF: LILI ROCHEFORT VS. KARIN KANZUKI)  and the apparent draw it has on the ancient warriors who previously defeated it. Terry Bogard and Mai Shiranui introduced themselves then recalled their experiences with the bipolar servant of Soul Edge, Tira.  (REF: ANDY BOGARD VS. GUY) (REF: MAI SHIRANUI VS. TIRA

“This is definitely a grave threat,” stated Dhalsim. His eyes focused on Rose. “You are thinking we will need Ryu?”

Rose nodded. “He is the strongest fighter I know. Even then he may need to dig down deep to a place he tries to ignore to find the strength necessary to defeat these villains.”

“The Satsui No Hado,” Dhalsim whispered.

“I know you have managed to stop him from succumbing to it before, When all is said and done, I believe you will have to do it again,” said Rose,

Mai Shiranui interjected. “I don’t know anything about the Satsui No Hado or who this Ryu character is, but I would just like to remind you that I am no slouch. And Terry….  I am convinced Terry is the strongest fighter in the world, even more so then my beloved Andy.”

Terry smiled and tipped his baseball cap to this compliment.

“I meant no insult. If we are to have any success overcoming this obstacle, we will need a combined effort from all of the brightest and the strongest the world has to offer,” Rose explained.

Guy kneeled down beside Voldo’s unconscious body. “Seeing what has transpired here, I do worry about the safety of your protege. Perhaps we shouldn’t have sent her off alone.”

“Where is Menat?” asked Dhalsim.

“She has traveled to Egypt in pursuit of the astrologist, Zafina,” Rose replied. “We were delayed in Metro City due to the serious injuries sustained by Robert Garcia (REF: RAPHAEL SOREL VS. ROBERT GARCIA) and Cody Travers. (REF: CODY TRAVERS VS. RYUJI YAMAZAKI) In an effort to save time, I sent Menat on ahead to Egypt while we traveled here to India.” 

“If someone is monitoring our every move, it is possible they have sent someone after this Zafina woman, or Menat, herself,” Guy reasoned.

“Menat is a very capable and skilled fighter,” Rose assured. “And Zafina is a descendant of a clan of spiritual warriors. I am confident that they can protect themselves. But, we should hurry to them all the same.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------zafina_and_menat_by_zyule_ddognhr-fullview.jpg.b615faea9c31844852265432fc04604d.jpg

Zafina sat by a crystal ball in her tent trying to remain calm. Her premonitions were getting worse. At the center of them, as always, were the two evil stars, Jin Kazama and Kazuya Mishima. But, it wasn’t just the resurrection of Azazel that was at risk this time. Something even more sinister was afoot. There were images in her head that Zafina did not recognize and could not fully understand. One thing she did understand for certain was that the devil gene needed to be eradicated to prevent these visions. 

Zafina let out a brief scream of rage as Azazel’s arm briefly materialized over her own left arm. The demon spirit sealed within her was going stronger as the evil within the world became more prominent. Zafina needed to act quickly.

A young egyptian woman suddenly entered her tent. The woman beamed brightly at the sight of Zafina.

“I have finally found you. I am so thrilled,” Menat announced.

Zafina was thrown off by this declaration.

“Growing up learning about the mystic arts in Egypt I was told many stories about your clan of imperial tomb guardians. It is an honor to finally meet someone from this legendary group,” Menat said with glee.

“Who are you?” asked Zafina.

“My name is Menat. I am acting as an envoy for my master. She has sent me to you because she needs your help to save the world,” said Menat.

Zafina was confused. “Save the world? Who is your master?”

“My master’s name is Rose. She is a powerful fortune teller from Italy and the master of Soul Power,” Menat proclaimed.

Zafina’s eyes widened. “She must be getting these visions as well. She may be able to answer some of my questions.” Zafina was excited, she stood up and walked toward Menat.

Menat stepped back with trepidation as Zafina got closer. “What is this evil energy I am sensing within you?”

Zafina lifted her arm out in an effort to calm Menat down. “You have nothing to fear, I assure you. What you are sensing is the spirit of the demon, Azazel. He was entombed for centuries before being released by the conflict of Jin Kazama and Kazuya Mishima. He was defeated, but his spirit endured. I was able to seal him within myself until I can ensure his extinction,” Zafina explained. “Once I have eradicated the devil gene Azazel will no longer have any connection to this world.”

Menat shook her head and took another step back. “No, my master was mistaken. It was a mistake for me to come here.”

“It was fate that brought you here so that we could help each other. I promise you I have it under control,” Zafina insisted.

“You don’t understand. The thing we are fighting, Soul Edge, it feeds on evil. It lures it and draws it out. If you came into close contact with it, it would be a disaster,” said Menat.

“It sounds like it is not dissimilar to Azazel himself, and as I have already told you I have it under control,” Zafina repeated.

“I am sorry. I must leave,” said Menat.

“No!” Zafina shouted. “You may have the answers I need. I can’t allow you to just walk out.”

“I don’t want to fight you,” Menat pleaded.

“If that is what it is going to take, then that is what we are going to do,” said Zafina. “And I will prove to you that the demon spirit sealed inside holds no sway over me.”

Menat stepped into her fighting stance. “Oh master, what have you gotten me into?”

So the person known for making predictions against opponents versus one of the most unpredictable fighter in fighting games. If this was pre-Tekken 7, I would have leaned towards Menat. Now that Zafina got an upgrade in power this will be a lot closer. I think that and Zafina's greater willingness to fight will give her the edge.

I think these two make an interesting pair for a fight. Menat wins based on her combos and fighting style. Zafina's combat skill doesn't impress me in the slightest and will get crushed, but I will say she has more power output than Menat just because of that arm of hers. But she's going to resist using it so much so she doesn't succumb.

This set-up was fine, but the fight feels forced to me. Barely a misunderstanding between the two, not enough to exchange blows. And not much happens in this other than just a continuation. I did notice you killed Voldo though... brutal man. He had potential lol

7 hours ago, SSJRuss said:

I think these two make an interesting pair for a fight. Menat wins based on her combos and fighting style. Zafina's combat skill doesn't impress me in the slightest and will get crushed, but I will say she has more power output than Menat just because of that arm of hers. But she's going to resist using it so much so she doesn't succumb.

This set-up was fine, but the fight feels forced to me. Barely a misunderstanding between the two, not enough to exchange blows. And not much happens in this other than just a continuation. I did notice you killed Voldo though... brutal man. He had potential lol

I suppose it would just be a misunderstanding if you believe Zafina has complete control of Azazel's spirit inside her. There are some hints in Tekken 7 that that may not be the case.

As always I appreciate the feedback and comments.

I’m not the most familiar with the characters but from what I’ve looked up, the comments, and the setup I wanna go with Zafina on this one. She seems like she has a fighting chance as it is with how you’ve pitted them against each other. I might still wait to vote though.

Gah, I gotta start playing some of these later-gen fighting games. I'm still getting to know the SF Alpha to SF V characters. 

Anyways, pretty good set-up, Johnny. The meeting between the fighters at the beginning was well done, but as stated, though, the lead-up to the main fight itself seemed a little contrived. 

As for the match, Zafina looks a little more powerful than Menat. Zafina may get the upper hand, but since the Soul Edge isn't a direct influence here, I have a feeling things may calm down before either fighter gets seriously hurt.