MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

Helena Shaw vs. Lori Quaid
MATCH SCORE
Helena Shaw: 2
Lori Quaid: 3

Website Top Priorities Laundry List - comicbookuniversebattles.com

Have an issue with the website that needs work?  Post your issue.

Fix the matches to display correctly on mobile phones

Fix the CBUB Control Panel functions like creating a match to display correctly on phones.

Is the control panel having issues? It displays properly for me.

2 hours ago, IKA said:

Is the control panel having issues? It displays properly for me.

It seems to work fine for me.

10 hours ago, Venom 2009 said:

It seems to work fine for me.

I would say the match builder interface is not really phone friendly.  Have to turn the phone sideways and zoom sometimes to use the interface to create a match. 

I mean, me personally I don't think the match builder interface is phone friendly, but if people say it isn't broke then I guess it doesn't need to be fixed :)

4 hours ago, Fox said:

I would say the match builder interface is not really phone friendly.  Have to turn the phone sideways and zoom sometimes to use the interface to create a match. 

I mean, me personally I don't think the match builder interface is phone friendly, but if people say it isn't broke then I guess it doesn't need to be fixed :)

Oh I see, I thought you meant it was broken. I do agree that it needs a cosmetic uplift for sure though. 

Well I added a new character to the site. The Old Man from the RoboCop franchise.

https://cbub.comicbookuniversebattles.com/cbub/cbubcats/show?cid=12999

But so far, the text from Wikipedia hasn’t appear on the profile. The character was added this morning.

On 3/18/2024 at 7:55 PM, Venom 2009 said:

Well I added a new character to the site. The Old Man from the RoboCop franchise.

But so far, the text from Wikipedia hasn’t appear on the profile. The character was added this morning.

His wikipedia is linked to it's own page. Not sure how that happened. I'll have to delete him tomorrow so he can be resubmitted. 

Fixed the display error saying users can login with display names.

20 hours ago, IKA said:

His wikipedia is linked to it's own page. Not sure how that happened. I'll have to delete him tomorrow so he can be resubmitted. 

Ok. I will add the Old Man again, once the profile is gone.

On 3/17/2024 at 3:26 PM, Fox said:

Fix the matches to display correctly on mobile phones

Check!

20 hours ago, Venom 2009 said:

Ok. I will add the Old Man again, once the profile is gone.

Sorry it took so long. The character is now deleted.

2 hours ago, IKA said:

Sorry it took so long. The character is now deleted.

It's ok. The Old Man has been resubmitted.

2 hours ago, Venom 2009 said:

It's ok. The Old Man has been resubmitted.

And accepted, I'll keep an eye on it to see what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IKA said:

It did it again. Hrm... 

Well, I might as well bring this up. Do we really need Wikipedia? I understand the need for an Official Site. But nowadays, Wikipedia seems to be unreliable. I mean there are characters out there that people would like to add to the site, but can’t because most of the time Wikipedia doesn’t have anything on them at all.

Wallpapers on character profiles are not displaying.

1 hour ago, Venom 2009 said:

Well, I might as well bring this up. Do we really need Wikipedia? I understand the need for an Official Site. But nowadays, Wikipedia seems to be unreliable. I mean there are characters out there that people would like to add to the site, but can’t because most of the time Wikipedia doesn’t have anything on them at all.

I would say that's definitely a necessary evil when it comes to adding the characters on the database.

Yeah, there's the fandom Wikias too, such as Marvel Database and DC Database too.

But yeah, there's a lot of characters that don't even have Wikipedia pages... Like Kim Minsu from The Warrior Returns, a Korean Web-Comic hosted on Webtoons.

3 hours ago, RakaiThwei said:

Wallpapers on character profiles are not displaying.

Fox wanted to see what the site would look like without them. This on is not a bug. 

3 hours ago, RakaiThwei said:

Yeah, there's the fandom Wikias too, such as Marvel Database and DC Database too.

Unfortunatley wikia's are privatley owned and using their content would be considered plagerism and theft. It would turn into a legal issue.

20 hours ago, Venom 2009 said:

I saw that the wording has been changed a bit for character additions. I says something like 'reasonable link' which still involves Wikipedia. It allows for more wiggle room but yeah sometimes is does outright exclude some characters and this is coming from somebody who tries to add a lot and run into this snag all the time.

1 hour ago, leroypowell3 said:

I saw that the wording has been changed a bit for character additions. I says something like 'reasonable link' which still involves Wikipedia. It allows for more wiggle room but yeah sometimes is does outright exclude some characters and this is coming from somebody who tries to add a lot and run into this snag all the time.

It used to be wikipedias for specific characters. However it's more likely to find a over arching show with a list of characters at the bottom. 

At this point in time, if you can't find the character specifically add the show's / game's / book series etc. that they are from wikipedia. 

On 3/21/2024 at 11:46 PM, Venom 2009 said:

On 3/22/2024 at 5:20 AM, IKA said:

Unfortunatley wikia's are privatley owned and using their content would be considered plagerism and theft. It would turn into a legal issue.

When Wikipedia was new on the Internet, which kind of coincides with the character addition functionality, it was really great.  They had separate Wikipedia pages for even the most trivial of comic characters.

Since then, with all the article consolidation and removal over there, it's a less reliable source, for sure.

Much of that detail on minor characters has moved to fan-based wikis like at Wikia.

There are a couple possible possible solutions I can see.

The first option might be switching to a resource like Comic Vine, which when I checked a couple years ago, had an API and a resource sharing policy.  A couple random example pages:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/sailor-mars/4005-50515/

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/3-d-man-chandler/4005-43653/

The second option might be to let people adding a character on CBUB to input their own text on the character.

Any thoughts on those?

On 3/18/2024 at 7:55 PM, Venom 2009 said:

This issue is resolved.

The process which goes and gets Wikipedia entries runs every few hours, so the text may not show up on a new character for awhile.  Just mentioning.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fox said:

When Wikipedia was new on the Internet, which kind of coincides with the character addition functionality, it was really great.  They had separate Wikipedia pages for even the most trivial of comic characters.

Since then, with all the article consolidation and removal over there, it's a less reliable source, for sure.

Much of that detail on minor characters has moved to fan-based wikis like at Wikia.

There are a couple possible possible solutions I can see.

The first option might be switching to a resource like Comic Vine, which when I checked a couple years ago, had an API and a resource sharing policy.  A couple random example pages:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/sailor-mars/4005-50515/

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/3-d-man-chandler/4005-43653/

The second option might be to let people adding a character on CBUB to input their own text on the character.

Any thoughts on those?

Comicvine is pretty good. I go there a lot to look up new characters for their rumble debuts. 

Adding your own text sounds like a viable option but it sounds like alot of work for coding or whatever. But if a person really wants a character and there's just no info on them from reliable sources they may do it. I would sometimes even just to make research easier for others.

Hrm.. Would it be possible to allow Wikipedia and Comicvine as a multi option? 

As for filling in their own text, I would imagine that would just be a lot of work for admins to approve, especially since we might not know the characters ourselves.

5 hours ago, IKA said:

Hrm.. Would it be possible to allow Wikipedia and Comicvine as a multi option? 

I will look into it. I do want to try and make the site its best, at a technical level anyway, so is easier for the current team to deal with.

After thinking about it, I began to wonder why we would need to use a website like Wikipedia to get text on a character given the current available technology.

If someone submits a character, we can just ask an A.I. to produce the text.  Specifically, what we are usually interested in, have it list the character's talents and powers.

Example conversation about it with Chat GPT.  I think this demonstrates that Open A.I. can provide character text.

https://chat.openai.com/share/22dd8d2f-2cd2-4ff2-bcd8-bc487182334b

When a person submits a character, the website can ask Chat GPT about it using the Open A.I. API to make the query.  The data from the query will be stored in the database, and displayed on the character page.

Any thoughts about that?

It is a drag to have to count on online pages.