Chun-Li: 3

Rumble 20567 Ed (Street Fighter) vs. Mama Odie vs. Pickle
MATCH SCORE
Ed (Street Fighter): 0
Mama Odie: 0
Pickle (Baki the Grappler): 2

Member of the month (September 2023): Peypeypeypey

IKA

For those of you who don't know, each month I will be choosing a member to highlight as our member of the month! I try to post these on the 10th of each month, but sometimes I just can't get to the computer those days. In any case this month I chose this @Peypeypeypey not just for what he does on the site, but what he has done for this site. It may be more than you realize, as with him, MagneticFerret as you know it may not be around today.

Most of us on this site have been on it for a long time and know that this site used to go by Electricferret.com when it was owned by @Fox. He has since retired from being the webmaster and handed the key to the kingdom over to me. However, some of you may not know that before that, during the time EF was offline between 2013 and 2020, Peypeypeypey had stepped up and created MagneticFox, a freeforums website version of the CBUB we all love. This is actually the inspiration of this websites current domain!

MagneticFox + ElectricFerret = MagneticFerret.

I myself rarely was able to ever make any stories for the website, but without him helping to keep our community together, Fox likely wouldn't have brought Electicferret back online to begin with. 

All in all, Thank you @Peypeypeypey.

Now each month I do send some questions over to our Member of the month so we can learn more about them! Let's take a look.

Tell us about yourself. Where are you from, what do you do for a living?

I'm from Indiana, a smallish town called Muncie. I work as a Front End Manager at a grocery store, but I've recently accepted a new job at a bank, which is fun. I recently got engaged and my fiance and I own a small house together with our dog and two cats. We also foster kittens from time to time. In my free time I play Magic: the Gathering and some video games, read books (usually fantasy or surrealist novels), or writing, although I don't do that as much anymore.

What brought you to this site, why do you stay? 

My brother, known here as @Magnamax, showed me the site. I don't know how he found it. I remember when Fox was making the official matches people like wrote in for. Good times. 

I think I mostly stayed because it was one of the few places that was small enough for you to get to know people but big enough that it wasn't just you talking to the same two or three people over and over. I also really like the writing portion of it, though I hardly ever do it anymore. Unlike other Battleboards, the CBUB allowed the users to provide much needed context for fights, which made them feel both more organic and more fun.

If you had to choose, what member her would you say is your biggest rival? Who's do you look forward to reading the most? 

I don't know that I have a "rival" per se. MagnaMax I guess. It's always good winning over him. I also don't know that I like reading a specific person, I just really like the more out there match ups that I would never think to put against each other. The Hundred Acre Woods gang vs. Sesame Street Monsters? Hell yeah

What is your favorite setup you made?

I'm going to give two answers here:

My first answer is Jack vs. King Bradley. It was simple and felt like a true encounter these two might have. I like both characters and I like that both are just simple sword fighters. 

My other favorite was Calvin vs. Hobbes. I really liked how that one turned out. It had much more heart and emotion than my usual set ups, and it wasn't really a "fight" at all, but I really enjoyed it. 

What future matches do we have to look forward to from you? 

That's a good question lol. If I ever manage to break my lazy streak, there are a couple of matches I would like to make. I think Berserk is ripe with unexplored potential, and some other non-Marvel/Non-DC comic characters really need love. Saga and Fables in particular come to mind. Fables has a plethora of interesting matchup ideas in particular I think.

With the writer's challenge just heating up, what would be a theme you would like to see be a challenge?

I think a challenge about legends of old clashing with modern heroes would be interesting. King Arthur vs. Batman, Merlin vs. Constantine, Robin Hood vs. Hawkeye, stuff like that. Fables, fairy tales, and legendary heroes and villains of old going up against modern marvels.

What led to the creation of MagneticFox? How did you land on the name and logo for MagneticFox?

Basically, it was the first time Fox was shutting the forums. I was in high school at the time and had a lot of free time, so I spent a lot of time on the forums and I didn't want it to go away. I just hastily decided to throw it together in an attempt to keep some semblance of the site together. We held a thread to discuss changing the name, as I had just carried over the old EF name, and I believe it was SirMethos who suggested that name. It was by far the best one so I ran with it. After that, I made @DSkillz a mod, and he was the one who was really actively keeping things running there. He's a real trooper that one. 

When you heard this site (or rather EF at the time) was opening back up, what was your first reaction?  

I was really excited. I remember talking to MagnaMax about it and getting pretty pumped. Those Tournaments were really fun and it was a good distraction from real life at the time lol. I was working in a grocery store when the pandemic started and it was pretty awful for that first year, so having that to look forward to on my breaks and when I got off work was always nice.

Given the amount of time put into the website, if given the choice would you do it all over again? 

Yeah, I mostly would. When I was younger it was a great exercise in creative writing and basics of debating, so I wouldn't even consider it totally just wasting time or anything. Plus I have had fun here over the years. I maybe would have changed some of my really early actions, but everyone does kind of cringey stuff when they're kids lol

I know I asked permission to use the Magnetic portion of the name when creating the new domain, how did you feel about that? Do you still feel that way? 

I thought it was a good idea. I don't really consider it "my name." It was made by the community for the community, so I have no problem with anyone else here using it like that. 

I hope you guys enjoyed this! I had intended to make @Peypeypeypey the Member of the month last month, but life got in the way so I never had time to prepare. Shout out to @DSkillz for not letting that slip :).

• Like 2

Congrats, pey! Pretty well earned with the insightful comments you're made on match-ups of late.

Hope to see more members make an impact in the future. 

• 4 weeks later...