Esther Coleman: 0
Norman Nordstrom: 6

Jean Grey vs. Polaris
MATCH SCORE
Jean Grey: 3
Polaris: 0

User of the Month June 2023: broadwaybeyonder

IKA

Hello everyone, I'm going to begin appointing a member of the month, this will be changed out the 10th of every month. These member will be chosen because I believe they are someone who  really reflects the website in a positive way. I want to choose someone who is a strong writer, debater, and who can show off just how much can be created with all the tools at play. 

It is with great please I will be rewarding the first member of the month spotlight to..

@broadwaybeyonder - I chose him not only does he hit every checkmark mentioned above, but he also promotes the website every single day on his twitter account. Without ever being asked to do so, he has gone out of his way to bring traffic to this site.  He has the skill, the creativity, and the knowledge to show off the full potential of what this site stands for and a big reason I chose to stop it from shutting down.

Lets learn more about our write of the month! 

Q: Tell us about yourself, what has broadwaybeyonder been up to these days?

A:  I l
ive in the Chicago suburbs where I work as an actor.  I've been a fan of comics/Sci-fi/fantasy stories for as long as I can remember and I like being able to write these setups featuring characters that I grew up with and ones that I've learned from the site itself.  

Q: It says you joined in 2011? But I feel like I debated with you before that, have you gone under any other names or am I just mis-remembering?

A: My first setup was Arcade (From X-men) vs the Red Shirted Ensigns (From Star Trek) posted in 2009, almost exactly 14 years ago (sheesh I'm old XD).  I've always gone by broadwaybeyonder; Broadway for my acting, and Beyonder for the Marvel character who's famous for having heroes and villains battle each other.  

Q: What brought you to this site, what keeps you here?

A: 
 I posted off and on through my college years because I enjoyed the concept of actually telling a story with the characters instead of just saying, "Who wins a fight between _____________ and _______________?"  Even though some of my setups didn't get rave reviews, I still enjoyed the community that the site had built.  

During the pandemic, I went back to the site, which last I checked had been closed.  To my surprise, the Administrator Fox had reopened the site and people were once again able to post setups and add characters.  Seeing that I had a chance to not only write for CBUB, but to help it grow, I decided to start posting again, as well as start a Twitter page to promote the popular setups.  

Q: What's your favorite setup? What's the beat one you've written in your opinion? Why?

A: It's hard to pick a favorite setup because there have been so many.  But I do keep track of how each one performs (views, comments, votes, likes, ratings) and a couple do stand out.  

>Katie Ka-Boom vs Minerva Mink: Putting two of the 'lesser known' Animaniacs characters in a fight for who would get into the Animaniacs reboot.  

>Camen Sandiego vs Harley & Ivy: Carmen challenges the two Gotham Girls to a contest of who could steal the most from Gotham.  

>Trini Kwan vs Chloe Bourgeois 2: Power Rangers vs Miraculous.  A rematch of a TCC battle that had gone to a draw the first time around.  

>Biker Mice from Mars vs Street Sharks: Two teams of anthropomorphic teens in a battle/race to the finish.  

>Mortal Kombat Universe vs Forever Red Rangers: One of the largest TCC battles I've done; 25 MK characters fighting against every Red Power Ranger up to Dino Fury.  

>Emma Peel vs The Baroness: My most recent entry on this list, pitting the spy from the original Avengers (The UK show, not the Marvel version) against Cobra's femme fatale.  

Q: What's your favorite type of story? Favorite Character? Why?

A: 
I enjoy doing setups that are not just straight up fights.  There are tons of characters to choose from the Database and not all of them are ones that would make sense for them to be throwing hands.  That means I have to find creative ways of setting one character against another that doesn't have to involve fighting, which can lead to some pretty entertaining match ups.  

But when I do have an actual fight in mind, I have a recurring setup that can highlight it.  I've mentioned TCC battles in the previous question.  That stands for the Transdimensional Combat Commision, a multiversal UFC/WWE style fight league where combatants can duke it out.  I took inspiration from the battles that were set in the "Arena of Khazan" hosted by Pat and Jay in the early days of the site, and people seem to enjoy the bouts I'm putting on now. 

Q:  Will our Member of the month being joining us for the ongoing Special Writer's challenge? Any hints?

A: H
mm.  I might have an idea or two for an interesting East vs West match up.  You'll have to sign up on the Magnetic Ferret to find out!  ;) 

Special thanks to @broadwaybeyonder for all that you do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really like this. All these years on here and I admit that I really know nothing about anybody on here. I keep telling my wife that one of you people could be my next door neighbor and I would never know it. Good idea IKA!

• Like 1

I definitely agree with Leroy and Rakai! Nice to see some members of the community to get spotlight. A great way to get to know each other a lot better. I know I don't talk to really any of you but I've enjoyed seeing yall writing for I don't know how long now. It will be awesome to get to know yall even better behind the writing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To IKA: Great Idea!

To broadwaybeyonder: Congratulations!

• Like 1