Tournament - Judge Doom vs. Carnage
MATCH SCORE
Judge Doom: 2
Carnage: 7

Zurg (Lightyear movie) vs. Goliath (Evolve)
MATCH SCORE
Emperor Zurg: 2
Goliath (Evolve): 0

Psylocke vs. Danielle Moonstar
MATCH SCORE
Psylocke: 6
Danielle Moonstar: 2

Rumble 20570 Arkin vs. Komodo
MATCH SCORE
Arkin: 0
Komodo: 1

Rumble 20569 Minsu Kim vs. The Avengers
MATCH SCORE
Minsu Kim: 2
The Avengers: 4

Books and Literature.

Guest Magnus

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what. I'm going to break my (fake) vow to not read books without pictures. I'm becoming interested in the Lovecraft stories. I know a few of the old gang on here used to do some Lovecraft RPs. I know Cthulhu keeps losing in the CBUB, which from what I've read shouldn't be too easy a feat. I know a lot from my own research, but I've never read one of his books. Looks like it's time for a library break.

Cthulhu loses because people think he got destroyed by a boat hitting him. He had yet to be fully summoned at tht point, so the summoning was interrupted. The CBUB kiddies can't comprehend this concept, they just say "OMG Cthulhu got hit by a boat, so Batman can beat him!"

That said, Lovecraft's actual writing isn't all that great. It's more about the ideas than any sort of writing talent he possessed. You'd get the same experience by reading one of the Cthulhu RPG books, where you get all of the good quotes without any of the other stuff that bogs down his stories.

Guest Shockwave
More accurately, they are making the NAME into a video game which, aside from involving Hell, has little to do with the book.

hmm..... please tell me more of this.

Clips of Inferno's gameplay are easy to come across. Check youtube or one of the major video game websites. The clips tell you way more than anything we could describe. And, yeah, it has little to do with the original story other than "dude goes to hell."

Guest KillerCroc10

Once I'm done reading Cryptid. These will be the next books I'll be reading in order.

41HXXTG36XL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

There's a movie base off this. Anyway this is about a bear that has been mutated by pollution in the environment and begins killing people.

TheFlock.jpg

This one is about a relict population of Titanis birds being discovered in a unexplored area of florida and they have evolved to have near human intelligence which was why no one was ever able to find them until now. And the main characters try their best to protect them now that they have been discovered by man.

shadow_killer.jpg

Its about Bigfoot killing people after a group of careless campers start a forest fire which kills Bigfoot's tribe including his mate and offspring. So angry at them that he starts killing people as an act of revenge.

I just finished my Sherlock Holmes collection. Now I just finished The Improbable stories of Sherlock Holmes. Basically, its a collection of Holmes stories written by some of the more notable authors(Neil Gaimen, Stephen King, etc...). Its also got me hooked onto Lovecraft stories with its crossovers.

Sherlock Holmes + HP Lovecraft= AWESOMENESS.

Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness assessment (so far):

Dislikes - Slow build. Very Slow build. It has a slow crawl that makes me want to skip ahead to the good parts. Over descriptive. I know a lot of you like descriptive and I do to a certain degree, but I only need so much to get the point. I have a vivid imagination. Once you give me so much, I can run with it. Lovecraft spends most of a chapter describing the peculiarity of a mountain range...boring.

Likes - I do like the mystery. Lovecraft knows what fear is...it is in the unknown. I am extremely anxious to know what is behind the Madness at the Mountains. He builds a good tension. Very good. I like how he tells us the Mountain is so crazy he dare not describe it and then does anyway. I really wish there was a necronomicon to read now. Then again...

Finished At the Mountains of Madness...I understand now. He was a visionary: the first to introduce such things at a time period when horror was all about witches and ghosts. I had to get out my big old words dictionary, but Melikey. I will be reading more. Lovecraft was the creator of the original Galactus.

• 3 months later...

I'm in the middle of reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. Who knew Neil Gaiman was funny? Great book.

"It was rumored that there was going to be a movie adaptation of Anansi Boys (from the radio play), but the "moviemakers wanted to change the lead black characters to white or drop the magical elements altogether". Gaiman claimed not to need the money, "Not needing the money puts me in a magical place because I can say no. I like the idea of having good movies made or having no movies made."[9]

On 9th April 2010, Gaiman updated his Twitter feed with, "Anansi Boys script starting to look a bit more like a script."

Good man. Keep your pride, ethics and integrity about you.

Guest boston_celtics
I'm in the middle of reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. Who knew Neil Gaiman was funny? Great book.

"It was rumored that there was going to be a movie adaptation of Anansi Boys (from the radio play), but the "moviemakers wanted to change the lead black characters to white or drop the magical elements altogether". Gaiman claimed not to need the money, "Not needing the money puts me in a magical place because I can say no. I like the idea of having good movies made or having no movies made."[9]

On 9th April 2010, Gaiman updated his Twitter feed with, "Anansi Boys script starting to look a bit more like a script."

Good man. Keep your pride, ethics and integrity about you.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! All right, finally, a REAL Gaiman movie!

Still wish it was American Gods though...

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! All right, finally, a REAL Gaiman movie!

Still wish it was American Gods though...

I was actually holding out for a Good Omens movie....Ah well.

• 1 month later...

Currently reading Dune. The original. Never saw the old 80's movie. Never saw the T.V. shows. Never read any of the books. Figured why not. Also still reading H.R. Lovecraft stuff...currently, the Shunned House.

Good to see this thread getting resurrected. I'm currently reading "What If: Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been". All in all its very interesting. It really is amazing how one moment can effect the rest of history. Had things been only slightly different in countless instances in history the world would be vastly different. Plus unlike most historical novels this book is written by at least a dozen different authors, and none of them are shy about giving their opinion. As of right now, I'm reading a section regarding some of the "What Ifs" of the American Civil War including, "What if the Union Army won at the first battle of Bull Run and forced the Confederate Army to flee?" (The exact opposite happened). The author basically concludes that the war would have been over in '61, and the union restored with slavery in the south remaining in tact. Now I'm writing a piece regarding General Robert E. Lee's counter-factual victory at the Seven Days battle. The history nut in me is going crazy.

• 1 month later...
Guest LegendX

I'm currently about mid way through the second book of the Fate of the Jedi series (Omen).

I was thinking about reading the Dune books... where do I start with that series?

Guest Ivan
I was thinking about reading the Dune books... where do I start with that series?

Umm... "Dune" is a good start.

Guest LegendX
Umm... "Dune" is a good start.

My community library didn't have one titled just "Dune", they're all "Dune - something or other". That was why I asked. Wasn't sure if the first had a subtitle or not.

So... guess I'll have to buy that one. Thanks.