Rumble 20567 Ed (Street Fighter) vs. Mama Odie vs. Pickle
MATCH SCORE
Ed (Street Fighter): 0
Mama Odie: 0
Pickle (Baki the Grappler): 2

Books and Literature.

Guest Magnus

Guest silversurfer092

Brave New World is amazing. It's almost the entire reason I started actually reading some books for English class. Well, that and I started second semester junior year with an F. However, it forced me to read Grapes of Wrath, The Great Gatsby, The Sun Also Rises, The Things They Carried, Slaughterhouse Five, Fahrenheit 451, and The Color Purple. The first two are simply amazing books, I could have passed on TSAR and TCP was also quite good. TTTC and Fahrenheit were amazing, while I think most of Slaughterhouse was over my head, in that I kind of didn't want to read it, just pass the grade. Crime and Punishment would be better if it was 300 pages shorter. I'm a lazy kid, I don't want to read all that fine print. Ethan Frome was quite enjoyable. Heart of Darkness can go burn in hell. I should reread Fatelessness, Metamorphosis should burn in hell, and that's all I remember for senior year.

But favorite book ever? Still Once A Runner. It's a book after my own heart, that is.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest force_echo

Ethan Frome was enjoyable? If enjoyable means boring and madly deppressing, then yeah, it was pretty enjoyable.

I can't believe you all read those books the school system (Big Brother) told you to read. I didn't start reading until last year and look how I turned out. (Thought Criminal)

War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength

bigbrotherz.jpg

Guest silversurfer092

Who controls the past now, controls the future.

Who controls the present now, controls the past.

NOW TESTIFY!

I also loved the way that James Joyce wrote. I should reread "Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man". As for Ethan Frome, I like dark things. Let Me In? One of my favorite movies ever.

Guest shellsbut
Just finished The Tommyknockers by Stephen King. I didn't enjoy it as much as the other King novels I've read. Best part was the IT reference (Pennywise lives! <_<).

He has sneeked that into quite a few novels which is cool. It kind os makes everything across the board happeneing in continuity.

Guest TheJ0ke
As for J0ke, I don't know how many times I've said that I don't read books without pictures. Ivan is the intellectual, I'm the fledgling dictator. I've already cut off six wive's heads and punched one (just ask Tarv).

Oh hush, Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse have pictures

(on the cover)

, and if you don't read Brave New World, your dictatorship is doomed to failure.

I also loved the way that James Joyce wrote. I should reread "Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man".

Ew. <-- My thoughts on that book. The only bearable part of the entire thing was the last 1/4 of the last chapter, and even then I'm not sure how much of my "enjoyment" was actually just me seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Reading George R.R Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice". I'm almost done with the second novel in the series and it's quickly becoming one of the best fantasy series I've ever read.

Guest Shockwave

I don't care what anyone says. Jim Butcher has got us all on the edge of our seats now with Ghost Stories. It's freaking awesome. Harry Dresden, wizard has to solve his own murder. But then he has perfect access to his memories and I have to say I have a contender for the best villain I've seen. And the thing is freaking scary. I'll just say mix The Silence with a Wookie.

• 5 weeks later...

Currently reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Surprisingly good. I love how they tie in the actual historic events with the fictional Vampire Hunter life that Abraham led in the book. Just finished Star Wars: Deceived. Good book. I liked the Sith better when they were a large group threat and not hidden in the shadows duos. There was more treachery and in-fighting. Plus more Sith in general.

Guest Djgambrell
Cirque Du Freak and Chronicles of Vladimir Tod

Both are very good vampire book - series and the best part no EDWARD.

I hated both endings great until then though.

Guest tomisntblue

I liked Cirque Du Freak's ending. I found the first few books hard to fully get into actually, and in my opinion it only got better as it went on.

I haven't read the ending to Vladimir Tod yet i'm on the book just not on the ending chapter.

Cirque Du freak's ending was pretty good but I wouldn't say it was the best.

• 4 weeks later...
Game Of Thrones is an easy but fun read. I recommend that one.

If you really find 4 volumes of a 7 part saga, each with thousands of pages and thousands of characters (not to mention a painfully slow "A Dance with Dragons") an "easy but fun read", I bow before your awesomeness.

P.S: Just realized you were only talking about the first book in the series and that I bowed before you for nothing. Noob.

Guest sirmethos

If you're looking for a series to read, I can highly recommend Wilbur Smith's Egyptian Series. I can also highly recommend the Earth's Children series by Jean M. Auel.

If you prefer the fantasy genre, I can recommend the The Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory(the following trilogy in the same universe is recommendable as well). I can also recommend the Wheel of Time series, the Night Angel trilogy, or the Death Gate Cycle.

For Sci-Fi, I would recommend the Ender series by Orson Scott Card, or the Foundation stories by Isaac Asimov(starting with the Foundation Trilogy, followed by Foundation And Empire, and The Second Foundation.)

If you are looking for fast paced action, I recommend anything by Matthew Reilly(Contest, and Temple, especially are brilliant.)

I can also recommend pretty much anything by Jack L. Chalker(a brilliant Fantasy writer, his Soul Rider series still has a special place for me) or Dean Koontz.

I can probably come up with a ton of other recommendations once I actually look through my books, but these are the best off the top of my head(not including the obvious "must read" books, like Dune.)

And yes, I read a lot.

Guest silversurfer092

I recommend Once A Runner, if any of you guys out there want to read a book that you probably won't like or understand.

But the Inheritance Saga by Christopher Paolini is a good one.

Guest Djgambrell
I liked Cirque Du Freak's ending. I found the first few books hard to fully get into actually, and in my opinion it only got better as it went on.

**SPOILER ALERT**

It was good in an artistic way but seeing as he kind of wisped out of existence so none of it ever happened made me feel like I wasted my time.

Guest force_echo
It is very good.

Othello disagrees with you though!

Actually, I liked Hamlet a lot better, I thought it was... Smarter, for a lack of a better word. But still, Streetcar is so brilliant because nothing goes to waste. Every single line of every scene is important to the overall themes of the play.