Gambit: 6
Dr. Facilier: 1

Lilandra Neramani vs. Agent L
MATCH SCORE
Lilandra Neramani: 2
Agent L: 4

What is the true purpose of the CBUB?

DSkillz

A few days ago, I was having a debate with a user, RiotGear, in a couple of CBUB matches over the current state of the CBUB. He stated that the CBUB should be mainly for debating how certain matchups should go, and that set-ups with little or no value shouldn't be critiqued, while I argued that it is (or should be) also for writing good stories about said matchups. Here's the debate, if anyone's interested.

http://www.electricferret.com/forum/index....mp;#entry292623

And for those that want to skip the little "fight" Nova and I had, heh: http://www.electricferret.com/forum/index....mp;#entry292939

http://www.electricferret.com/forum/index....mp;#entry292622

Instead of continuing the discussion in the Archives, I decided to bring it here to the Discussion Forums, because 1) I don't want to commit small-time thread necromancy, lol, and 2) I figured others may want to join in on this as well and have their say. I'm not sure if this will turn into one of those "How to Improve the CBUB" topics (as I've seen several of those have been made in the past), but maybe this is a discussion that some may want to have, and that still needs to be brought up every now and then.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hayesmeister5651

"Discussing who would beat who since 1997"

'Nuff said.

Also this, he is talking about FPL, but I think it applies to the CBUB as well

I originally developed the site thinking the point was to discuss which powers were better. Silly me. However it did morph into a creative writing contest almost immediately.

I, myself, usually vote by powers if I like both characters. And I do like a who-could-beat-who discussion from time to time.

Guest badpierce

I would agree that sometimes you guys are hard on those of us that are not English majors. I enjoy thinking of new and different matches that I hope will turn into a cool debate only to get 5 comments about how I used "their" when I should have used "there". The guidelines for ratings talk more about making a good matchup and using the characters correctly more then about spelling and run on sentences. That being said. I do love this site. What ever the hell it is now.

Guest Hayesmeister5651
Answer: To have fun. If you like writing set ups, do that. If you like trying to figure out if Hulk could beat Godzilla, do that.

Agreed. Perfection has no need to evolve.

Answer: To have fun. If you like writing set ups, do that. If you like trying to figure out if Hulk could beat Godzilla, do that.

I'm sure it's pretty much this!

If people really don't like well thought out set ups, then either they are...

1) Illiterate

2) Impatient and Lazy

3) Don't like to read

Anyone who says that set ups aren't needed are probably one of the above.

I mean, sure, I write long set ups which are usually five pages but that's really to convey a story and character exposition. Also, it shows me who reads the set up and just who plain flat out doesn't.

Now a set up can be three to four paragraphs, which is fine... Short and sweet is good, but at least put some damn effort into the set up.

-Rakai'Thwei

Besides that, what's wrong with a little constructive criticism? It's not like the average CBUB'er sees some mistakes on a set-up, or even sees a bad set-up, and says "This sucks! U suck! Go away!" It's only when someone repeatedly makes set-ups with little or no value and/or reacts rudely to said advice that people may get hostile (I'm not really one to be get hostile, BTW). How many of you here have said there should be at least some kind of standard to making a CBUB match?

Besides that, what's wrong with a little constructive criticism? It's not like the average CBUB'er sees some mistakes on a set-up, or even sees a bad set-up, and says "This sucks! U suck! Go away!" It's only when someone repeatedly makes set-ups with little or no value and/or react rudely to said advice that people may get hostile (I'm not really one to be get hostile, BTW). How many of you here have said there should be at least some kind of standard to making a CBUB match?

I really don't set a standard, the only "standard" which I have is that writers out there should think of putting their matches other than:

"Spider-Man and Venom are fighting over Mary Jane! Who wins?"

Or some other lame brain one liner set up.

I actually recall when someone had went off on me when I told him that his set up was essential mediocre. The guy who wrote up a one liner was very immature enough to the point where he called me a "bitch" and "cock sucker".

-Rakai'Thwei

The CBUB, like every other facet of this site, means different things to different people. In that regard, it's nearly impossible to say the CBUB is for one purpose or another. Both RiotGear and DSKillz believed that the CBUB had different, while not entirely contradictory purposes. I mean, a lot of the debate seems to be focused on "this is what you should do" vs. "that is unnecessary, this is just for fun." Though, I disagree with both of you on some parts I can't say I agree entirely with any one party. Why? Because I can't speak for the entire mass of CBUBers to say why they use the site. All I can really offer is why I was initially interested in the CBUB.

My initial interest in the CBUB was in fact from a writing stand point. I wasn't necessarily interested in the power mechanics of what would happen if Character A fought Character B. Sure I could have a conversation every now and then on whether or not Cyclops' optic beams could blast through Captain America's shield but not enough to hold my attention for more than a brief conversation every now and then. To me, the CBUB offered a chance for members to take on the role as the writer of their favorite comic/movie/video game. It's like you had the chance to take characters with dozens of years of history and add your twist, your own creative flair to the character's story. I suppose you could say that I was more interested in telling a good story about why these characters were at conflict with one another, rather than getting opinions on the combative efficiencies/deficiencies of either character. That's what CBUB meant for ME, personally, I can't speak for anybody else. So, when the majority of the CBUB seemed to become more interested in feats, scans, power levels etc. etc. it played a huge role in my decision to leave that part of the site.

However, despite all this M. Bison put it best. Do whatever you have the most fun doing.

Side-note about Serge's comment regarding the FPL: The original concept may have been to discuss power combinations but the people who defined the FPL throughout it's 10+ year history will tell you that the FPL is a creative writing branch of Electric Ferret. Site ideas evolve and change based on how their members react. Same can be said about the CBUB and I don't really see anything wrong with that.

Guest Djgambrell
I'm sure it's pretty much this!

If people really don't like well thought out set ups, then either they are...

1) Illiterate

2) Impatient and Lazy

3) Don't like to read

Anyone who says that set ups aren't needed are probably one of the above.

I mean, sure, I write long set ups which are usually five pages but that's really to convey a story and character exposition. Also, it shows me who reads the set up and just who plain flat out doesn't.

Now a set up can be three to four paragraphs, which is fine... Short and sweet is good, but at least put some damn effort into the set up.

-Rakai'Thwei

I feel offended but don't know why.

Purpose? For me to sneak plugs in like "[insert character name] downed the ice cold refreshing budweiser"

And suddenly, as I type this, literally dozens of guests are reading both the topics I linked here.

Scary... ^_^

-Snip-

How long was it before you departed for the FPL, Tarv? Your reasons for enjoying making CBUB matches are so close to mne, it's scary. Could it be my destiny to join the FPL someday? Probably not, since making my own characters rather than using ones that already exist sounds like a daunting task. But who knows. I never thought I'd be writing fictional stories on the internet to begin with, and here I am.

Guest Jason Redfield

I agree with what others have said -- it is what you want it to be. Personally, I used to be annoyed when I found an awesome match-up with a very lacking (or even non-existent) set-up. That being said, it's the choice of the creator of the match. You can't fault anyone for focusing on story-writing, though.

@ Rob: From what I've seen of your writing, you could definitely do well in the FPL. Back on the old boards, I thought the FPL was the weird portion of the site where everybody practiced voodoo. If there was a map of Electric Ferret back then, the FPL section would have had "HERE BE MONSTERS" scrawled across it. When I actually realized the potential it held on these boards, I jumped on it quick. My first characters were terrible, but with some constructive criticism I've managed to crank out a few decent pieces. You'd be surprised how easy the jump is from writing matches between existing characters and creating your own fighters is. Just my two cents.

How long was it before you departed for the FPL, Tarv? Your reasons for enjoying making CBUB matches are so close to mne, it's scary. Could it be my destiny to join the FPL someday? Probably not, since making my own characters rather than using ones that already exist sounds like a daunting task. But who knows. I never thought I'd be writing fictional stories on the internet to begin with, and here I am.

I was on the CBUB for roughly nine months before I decided to leave that portion of the site altogether. Although, the interest had faded long before that. Also, I wouldn't exactly say I'm an FPLer per se. If you're definition of an FPLer is someone who makes FPL characters, then no I am not one of those people. The entire time I've been here I've only submitted two characters, both of which suck horribly. However, if by "FPLer" you mean someone who plots stories without ever actually finishing them while offering passing conceptual ideas to the continuity of the site and offers others rare critiques on the CA board; then yes, I would have to say that I'm an FPLer.

As a final note, if you're serious about joining the FPL and you need a hand just let me know. I'd be glad to get you someone who knows what they're talking about.

There is no true purpose of CBUB, in fact it's both DSkills and Riotgear's combined.

Make a well written match up to debate two competant fighters,

but do so in more than a simple character A is fighting character B.

If that were the case the site would end up dull and boring after a while, it's not too much to ask for who, what, where, when, and why is it?