Slot: The Team's Horde
Season Wins: 2
Season Losses: 2
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Arachnids of Klendathu at Wikipedia
Official Site: TriStar Pictures, Inc.

Battle Terrain
Horde Challenge: LARP

Little known fact, but the Arachnids are actually very similar to a few different DnD monsters and therefore are perfectly suited to LARP. They are the ultimate monster for heroes to face and, even better, don't have to worry about being grumpy soldiers trying to act, or feel embarrassed. They can literally play themselves and fit in perfectly! 

The Bugs for the win!

not-saying-you-59edf2.jpg

4 hours ago, Culwych1 said:

Little known fact, but the Arachnids are actually very similar to a few different DnD monsters and therefore are perfectly suited to LARP. They are the ultimate monster for heroes to face and, even better, don't have to worry about being grumpy soldiers trying to act, or feel embarrassed. They can literally play themselves and fit in perfectly! 

The Bugs for the win!

Nice try. Really is and it's not off but. No.

Joes have dominated this category.

• Haha 1

As mentioned the last time the Joes had this terrain, they're pretty good with disguises. Cover Girl herself is a former model and an expert with makeup and stagecraft, and Lady Jaye is an accomplished actress (not to mention that the Sunbow version of Jaye has roots in medieval times). The two of them alone could easily craft a LARP scenario for the rest of the Joes, and the Joes as a whole would be quick studies since a lot of them infiltrate Cobra with disguises all of the time. 

Meanwhile, the Arachnids may be cunning enough to try to ambush humans, but I don't think they could pull off LARP costumes or use weaponry of such. In fact, they're more likely to not bother with dressing up and go against the spirit of the game by going for the kill: 

Man, got to actually watch Starship Troopers someday. 

4 hours ago, DSkillz said:

As mentioned the last time the Joes had this terrain, they're pretty good with disguises. Cover Girl herself is a former model and an expert with makeup and stagecraft, and Lady Jaye is an accomplished actress (not to mention that the Sunbow version of Jaye has roots in medieval times). The two of them alone could easily craft a LARP scenario for the rest of the Joes, and the Joes as a whole would be quick studies since a lot of them infiltrate Cobra with disguises all of the time. 

Meanwhile, the Arachnids may be cunning enough to try to ambush humans, but I don't think they could pull off LARP costumes or use weaponry of such. In fact, they're more likely to not bother with dressing up and go against the spirit of the game by going for the kill: 

Man, got to actually watch Starship Troopers someday. 

Firstly, yes you absolutely do need to watch it (or read the book). They are absolutely awesome. The films after number 1 get patchy, so just 1 is fine.

Secondly, the Arachnids may have the help in this scenario of the Brain Bug, who has psychic abilities and can learn everything about people by eating their brains and passing the knowledge on to the collective.

So if they can understand it, then that when they can bring all those extra legs out for a convincing display. After all, they do say acting is all done with the arms. 

Well, I'm convinced, just as I know you all are. My work here is done. 

On 2/3/2024 at 12:32 PM, Culwych1 said:

The Bugs for the win!

Hey man I’m 100% down with this idea. Like I said previously the Arachnids are much more intelligent then they look so I can definitely buy the Brain Bug being able to direct them into acting as DnD Monsters and beating the Joes in a game of LARP. I’m siding with the Arachnids!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 1:34 AM, Culwych1 said:

Firstly, yes you absolutely do need to watch it (or read the book). They are absolutely awesome. The films after number 1 get patchy, so just 1 is fine.

Secondly, the Arachnids may have the help in this scenario of the Brain Bug, who has psychic abilities and can learn everything about people by eating their brains and passing the knowledge on to the collective.

So if they can understand it, then that when they can bring all those extra legs out for a convincing display. After all, they do say acting is all done with the arms. 

Well, I'm convinced, just as I know you all are. My work here is done. 

I mean, whatever knowledge the Brain Bug can try to pass along to the Arachnids, they still can't handle weaponry (real or otherwise), and they wouldn't need to learn anything extra to act as what they are, which are monsters. Besides, as mentioned, it likely wouldn't be long before they stop trying to just act the part and try to go after the Joes for real, which, again, would break the spirit of a competition where both sides are meant to only portray a battle.  

Meanwhile, the Joes could easily act out the parts of a LARP, and do it in the spirit of the competition. After all, as mentioned, they're pretty good with disguises already

Also, if the bugs want to try to fight the Joes for real, many Joes, such as Snake Eyes and Sgt. Slaughter, are pretty handy in melee.  

1 hour ago, DSkillz said:

I mean, whatever knowledge the Brain Bug can try to pass along to the Arachnids, they still can't handle weaponry (real or otherwise), and they wouldn't need to learn anything extra to act as what they are, which are monsters. Besides, as mentioned, it likely wouldn't be long before they stop trying to just act the part and try to go after the Joes for real, which, again, would break the spirit of a competition where both sides are meant to only portray a battle.  

Meanwhile, the Joes could easily act out the parts of a LARP, and do it in the spirit of the competition. After all, as mentioned, they're pretty good with disguises already

Also, if the bugs want to try to fight the Joes for real, many Joes, such as Snake Eyes and Sgt. Slaughter, are pretty handy in melee.  

They may not be able to hold the weapons, but they can absolutely forumlate strategy and enact that strategy even if it means playing dead and not giving in to their basic instincts - these are not mindless warriors, but deadly soldiers who will fulfil the mission. And if their part in this is an evil monster, then so be it - I think they can restrain themselves enough to win the task. 

Sure in a real fight the Joes are no slouches, I'm 100% with you on that - but if its a 100 bugs to 100 Joes, and we're talking about close quarter combat here, then the Joes have no chance. 

I like the Joes here. I'm assuming LARP combat and there are rules though.

Part of me wants to see what would happen if the final gets tied up 5-5, just out of curiosity. :D 

On 2/7/2024 at 2:43 AM, Culwych1 said:

They may not be able to hold the weapons, but they can absolutely forumlate strategy and enact that strategy even if it means playing dead and not giving in to their basic instincts - these are not mindless warriors, but deadly soldiers who will fulfil the mission. And if their part in this is an evil monster, then so be it - I think they can restrain themselves enough to win the task. 

Between their collective experience in combat and espionage, the Joes themselves are no slouches in reenacting combat scenarios and tactics or acting out varied roles. I'm thinking the roles of the monster-slaying heroes may be more intriguing. 

On 2/7/2024 at 2:43 AM, Culwych1 said:

Sure in a real fight the Joes are no slouches, I'm 100% with you on that - but if its a 100 bugs to 100 Joes, and we're talking about close quarter combat here, then the Joes have no chance. 

Let's not underestimate the Joes, who have stopped worldwide threats countless times in several incarnations and have arguably shown more strategy and creativity in battle than the Troopers do in that vid. They would very likely be aware that the Bugs could stop playing the LARP game at any time and pack their usual weaponry nearby or with them just in case. Scarlett's crossbow and Lady Jaye's spears (both of which are usually armed with explosives) wouldn't be too out of place in a LARP game anyway, and they and other Joes could hold the fort while their explosives experts Tripwire and Tunnel Rat (who could play the mages in a LARP setting by setting up less harmful pyrotechnics beforehand) could set up makeshift bombs in battle to take out huge chunks of Bugs. 

Tunnel Rat in particular may be useful here by crawling through small spaces to get close enough to plant explosives, and he has handled giant bugs before.  

3 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Part of me wants to see what would happen if the final gets tied up 5-5, just out of curiosity. :D 

Between their collective experience in combat and espionage, the Joes themselves are no slouches in reenacting combat scenarios and tactics or acting out varied roles. I'm thinking the roles of the monster-slaying heroes may be more intriguing. 

Let's not underestimate the Joes, who have stopped worldwide threats countless times in several incarnations and have arguably shown more strategy and creativity in battle than the Troopers do in that vid. They would very likely be aware that the Bugs could stop playing the LARP game at any time and pack their usual weaponry nearby or with them just in case. Scarlett's crossbow and Lady Jaye's spears (both of which are usually armed with explosives) wouldn't be too out of place in a LARP game, anyway, and they and other Joes could hold the fort while their explosives experts Tripwire and Tunnel Rat (who could play the mages in a LARP setting by setting up less harmful pyrotechnics beforehand) could set up makeshift bombs in battle to take out huge chunks of Bugs. 

Tunnel Rat in particular may be useful here by crawling through small spaces to get close enough to plant explosives, and he has handled giant bugs before.  

Would not be the first time Culwych1 has tied the finals.