Slot: The Team's Christmas Themed Character
Season Wins: 1
Season Losses: 1
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Buddy the Elf at this Wiki
Official Site: Warner Bros.

Battle Terrain
Christmas Vs. Halloween: Fear vs. Joy

Does “madness” count as fear? I don’t know about that because insanity is often described as the absence of rational thought and emotions, and fear is one of the most rational emotional responses a human can have, especially when faced with danger.

So really I think the fact Cthulhu spreads madness just by existing might work against it because his victims will be too insane to be scared of it.

Buddy can win this as long as he spreads just enough joy to just enough people.

On 1/14/2024 at 5:25 PM, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Does “madness” count as fear? I don’t know about that because insanity is often described as the absence of rational thought and emotions, and fear is one of the most rational emotional responses a human can have, especially when faced with danger.

So really I think the fact Cthulhu spreads madness just by existing might work against it because his victims will be too insane to be scared of it.

Buddy can win this as long as he spreads just enough joy to just enough people.

Gonna have to go with Cthulhu on this one. Being mad does not equate to not feeling fear, and in the books there was even the fear of going mad that was associated with the rise of Cthulhu. For example: "I have looked upon all that the universe has to hold of horror, and even the skies of spring and the flowers of summer must ever afterward be poison to me." Even those associated with the discover felt a deep fear: "I now felt gnawing at my vitals that dark terror which will never leave me til I, too, am at rest; "accidentally" or otherwise."

I think this one summed it up for me: 

"Johansen, thank God, did not know quite all, even though he saw the city and the Thing, but I shall never sleep calmly again when I think of the horrors that lurk ceaselessly behind life in time and in space, and of those unhallowed blasphemies from elder stars which dream beneath the sea, known and favoured by a nightmare cult ready and eager to loose them upon the world whenever another earthquake shall heave their monstrous stone city again to the sun and air."

Haven't seen Elf, but isn't Buddy just (an overgrown) one of Santa's elves? Not sure how far one elf can spread cheer. 

Cthulhu, though, is, IIRC, like a multiversal entity. His influence and rep alone seem to give him the edge here.